Text box does't always work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Half of the time when I go to reply to something, I click the text box and the cursor doesn't show up. I have to click the "Source" button in the top left corner, and then I can't make paragraph breaks. I don't get it. I have Firefox, and it hasn't prompted me to update it lately, maybe my version is out of date? shrug.gif Or, what else could be going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 AM

It's most likely a matter of your Firefox browser not getting along well with the software. We've had lots and lots of reports about the editor box being extremely glitchy in Firefox. I would recommend trying the BB Code editor: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1279042/bb-code-for-those-who-prefer-the-previous-style-of-posting-box

and I think you'll have a lot more success. We recommend making sure your browser's always updated as the updated browsers typically perform most optimally. From our FAQ

The site doesn't appear properly in my browser.

If you're having browser problems, please check to see if you are using an A-Grade Browser.  Our site performs optimally on the browsers listed in the A-Grade Browser Support Chart.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM

I am also using firefox. What works for me every time is clicking on the "source" button, and then again once the source code appears. When it goes back into visual mode, you get a cursor!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Thanks, Olivia! The BB Code editor has been much more stable and lets you type :) code directly as smile.gif so many people prefer this. But, as you mentioned, clicking often brings the cursor, but some members find this aggravating. It's really a personal preference. We're about to undergo another software upgrade on Thursday which is reportedly bringing more enhancements and stability to the default editor box, too! 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

This is happening to me too. It's driving me crazy. I can't format my posts and if I hit a tab or enter button I end up back at the top too. My posts are looking all crazy. 

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Have you tried switching to the BB Code editor? I think it will help alleviate these problems for you. 

Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

A-ha! BB Code FTW! orngbiggrin.gif
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Sweet. Thanks for letting us know! 

Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

This has been happening to me, too, and it's really making me mad. I have to say that the supposed upgrades to this site have not done anything except cause problems as far as I can tell. I also can't stand the new smilies box. Everything is random and it's so hard to find anything. Plus, when I open the box it's narrow and shows everything across but as soon as I scroll down the box gets larger, things start bouncing around and I have to scroll left and right, too. Very annoying. Most of the time I don't even bother with the smilies anymore. Sorry I know that's not what this thread was about but I'm just so frustrated with just about everything about the "upgrades".

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Yes, I'm really sorry you're upset and appreciate your taking the time to post your feedback.

Have you tried changing to BB Code editor? I know I keep suggesting it, but I really think it will help alleviate a lot of the frustration. It's nice to not have to deal with the smilie box, especially if you're familiar with the smilie code so you can simply type in :) and have smile.gif appear. 

Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM

I just switched to the BB Code format. This is my first post with that so I can't say whether or not it will work consistently. I'm annoyed that I would even have to switch, though. If something is being upgraded, it should work better, not worse. That means less glitches and problems. I can't recall having any problems with the old website but have had nothing but problems with the new one from the beginning. It seems as soon as I fix one problem another problem pops up.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM

I've had major problems with replying also. In fact I tried switching to safari to see if that helped and it really didn't so I gave up and went back to FF.  I have problems with trying to insert text into something I've already written, using the multiquote feature and spellcheck does not work at all anymore even since the switch.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

This has been happening to me, too, and it's really making me mad. I have to say that the supposed upgrades to this site have not done anything except cause problems as far as I can tell. I also can't stand the new smilies box. Everything is random and it's so hard to find anything. Very annoying. Most of the time I don't even bother with the smilies anymore. Sorry I know that's not what this thread was about but I'm just so frustrated with just about everything about the "upgrades".

ITA with all of this. The smilie names are gone too so now I have to try and remember what some of them stand for.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 AM

Changing to BB Code has worked in that now I don't have trouble getting a cursor in the reply boxes so that I can type. The quote function is weird now. Posts show up as code (I guess) in the reply box. That's a pain because a lot of times I will reply to only a small portion of a post so I like to edit out the parts I'm not replying to but it's hard to tell what is what in the quote now (if that makes any sense).

I've never even seen the multiquote function to try to use that and spellcheck does not work for me either.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Just wanted to say thank you for the BB Code suggestion! It'll save me a ton of frustration.

After you get used to it, it will seem normal to see the quote code. It will even make sense, and then you'll feel all tech savvy.  :)

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

User Tag List