Would like ability to unsubscribe from invidual threads in email notifications again - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I find it very annoying that I my only options are to unsubscribe from all threads from an email notification or I have to come to the site, go to my subscriptions to unsubscribe from a single thread. Very annoying.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 28 Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've not previously gotten this complaint so thanks for bringing it to my attention. 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 28 Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Agree it's something I miss from the old system too!  It was nice to just read the post in an email and click right there if I decided that the thread was no longer of interest.  thanks!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#4 of 28 Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

That was one of the first things I noticed that I was missing. I just didn't get around to posting about it until now because I was having so many other problems with loading pages and posting.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 28 Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Another issue I'm having along the same lines with subscriptions is that I can't unsubscribe from a thread while I'm in it. Say I get an email notification that a thread I'm subscribed to has been updated. I go to the thread to read the new posts and decide I want to unsubscribe from the thread. I may post one more time and I may not. I change the subscription option at the bottom of the page to, "Don't Subscribe" but I continue to get email notifications. I check my subscriptions page and it's still there.

Why can't I unsubscribe from a thread while reading that thread rather than having to go to another page (my subscriptions page) to unsubscribe?

#6 of 28 Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

If you have an existing subscription that you made to a thread, that will override any choice you make thereafter for a post in that same thread until you manage it via your subscriptions page. The option in a post allows you to change your account default so that you can opt to get a notification but it is not for unsubscribing. That is handled only in My Subscriptions. 

#7 of 28 Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

If you have an existing subscription that you made to a thread, that will override any choice you make thereafter for a post in that same thread until you manage it via your subscriptions page. The option in a post allows you to change your account default so that you can opt to get a notification but it is not for unsubscribing. That is handled only in My Subscriptions. 

Well, shoot. That's a pain.

#8 of 28 Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote: 
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Well, shoot. That's a pain.

It is!

I do think this overall change was an odd decision, TBH.  Unless it was just to save money.  It really seems like a step back in functionality across the board?  And I am one to roll my eyes when people complain about 'new' things (like the uproar every time FB updates their software).  But weeks in I've had to conclude that this isn't an upgrade at all.  

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#9 of 28 Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post

It is!

I do think this overall change was an odd decision, TBH.  Unless it was just to save money.  It really seems like a step back in functionality across the board?  And I am one to roll my eyes when people complain about 'new' things (like the uproar every time FB updates their software).  But weeks in I've had to conclude that this isn't an upgrade at all.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I will admit that I'm not the most computer, internet or message board savvy so I thought maybe I didn't understand why this change was a good idea. Personally, I've felt like I've had nothing but problems since the "upgrade" and it's very frustrating. To me, this is not an improvement.

#10 of 28 Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM

I have my notifications set to daily digest and yet I am still getting emails notifying me of individual posts on individual threads which I have posted on but not subscribed to.  Can I change this?

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#11 of 28 Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I tried to set it to no subscription in my subscription page and then subscribe individually to those threads I want notification from. I didn't get any notifications. I had to go back to my subscription page and subscribe to the threads in there. What's the point in the subscription option at the bottom of individual threads if they don't work?

#12 of 28 Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post

I have my notifications set to daily digest and yet I am still getting emails notifying me of individual posts on individual threads which I have posted on but not subscribed to.  Can I change this?

Karen

Karen, I think the issue is that it looks like you are set to auto subscribe.

if you go to your subscription page by clicking the Subscriptions icon Screen shot 2011-01-19 at 10.48.21 AM.pngat the top right of the page, then go to Edit My Subscriptions tab:

Screen shot 2011-01-19 at 10.49.26 AM.png

Then once you're in there, you can adjust your settings so you can default to not be notified: Screen shot 2011-01-19 at 10.51.37 AM.png

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#13 of 28 Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I tried to set it to no subscription in my subscription page and then subscribe individually to those threads I want notification from. I didn't get any notifications. I had to go back to my subscription page and subscribe to the threads in there. What's the point in the subscription option at the bottom of individual threads if they don't work?

I'm really sorry this has been so frustrating. Did you have it set to Site Only? If so, all your subscriptions would be sent to the homepage for you to check instead of via email notification. That might be what was going on?

#14 of 28 Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

I'm really sorry this has been so frustrating. Did you have it set to Site Only? If so, all your subscriptions would be sent to the homepage for you to check instead of via email notification. That might be what was going on?

But why can't I do both, have some sent to my subscription page and some give me instant email notifications? That's what I want. Is there an option that will allow me to do that?

#15 of 28 Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Hi! Yes, you should be able to do this if you go to your subscription page by clicking the Subscriptions icon Screen shot 2011-01-19 at 10.48.21 AM.pngat the top right of the page, then go to Edit My Subscriptions tab:

Screen shot 2011-01-19 at 10.49.26 AM.png

Once you're in there, you should be able to pick and choose their method/frequency of delivery. Please see the yellow circle/arrow in my example: 

Screen shot 2011-02-03 at 9.24.39 AM.png

#16 of 28 Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know how to do that from my subscription page but having to go to a separate page every time I get on this site to set individual subscriptions is a major pain. I want to be able to set the default to something so that I can pick and choose what to get email notifications for when I'm posting in the thread. I tried setting my default to "instant notifications" and then choosing "Don't subscribe" when posting in an individual thread but I still got email notifications. I tried setting my default to website only (or whatever it is) and then choosing instant notification in particular threads but then I never got any email notifications.

#17 of 28 Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
 I want to be able to set the default to something so that I can pick and choose what to get email notifications for when I'm posting in the thread.

Okay, I think I'm finally getting what you are asking. I think how you want to use it is how I use subscriptions, but please forgive me if I'm still not understanding you. In order to manage individual subscriptions on a per thread basis, I have my default subscriptions set to Don't Subscribe. If I do want to subscribe to a particular thread, I choose to select by using this:

Screen shot 2011-02-03 at 8.30.43 PM.png

This way, I "manage" all new threads that I post to via the thread subscription feature at the bottom rather than having the software make these decisions for me. I can still manage these subscriptions via my Edit Subscriptions page...just not via email at this time. 

Quote:
I tried setting my default to "instant notifications" and then choosing "Don't subscribe" when posting in an individual thread but I still got email notifications. 

Your default subscription (instant) settings for new content override the per thread subscriptions (Don't Sub). So, when your default is instant, that's how you're going to be notified, regardless of what you do on a per thread basis. 

Quote:
I tried setting my default to website only (or whatever it is) and then choosing instant notification in particular threads but then I never got any email notifications

.So, when you tried the Site Only approach, this setting actually tells the software that you never want to receive any content via email, regardless of what you set the per thread notifications to. 

I hope that I'm understanding you correctly and that I've made some sense. Thanks for bearing with me! 

#18 of 28 Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, you are getting what I want to do now. I'll try the "Don't Subscribe" but I think I tried that before and wasn't getting anything at all. I'll let you know if it works.

#19 of 28 Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks! 

#20 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM

I also have a question about subscriptions.  We used to get all the updates at one time and we could pick which day.  Now I get updates on several days of the week.  I put in weekly notifications but it randomly chooses which day and this generates too many emails.  Some with 5-10 threads and others with just one thread.  How can I set it to come all at once in ONE email.

#21 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Is there a way to edit the threads listed on your recent activity feed? Sometimes I'm just done with a thread and don't care about seeing if there are more replies but I can't figre out how to remove it from my list.

#22 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Hey Ard! This'll probably be lengthier than it needs to be for you, but hopefully it will help others, too. orngbiggrin.gif

Click Subscriptions at the top right

b1d59b90_subs.JPG

And then choose Edit My Subscriptions (should be the fourth tab)

Picture 40.png

There you will see your list of threads, something like this -

Picture 39.png

You can either remove the threads individually on the right, or you can change several at once by toggling the boxes on the left then scrolling down to the bottom of the page

85731a99_subsopts.JPG

And using the drop down menu to make changes.

Picture 41.png

Hopefully that helped! If not, just ask! smile.gif

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#23 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM

How can we get them to all come on the same day?

#24 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm not talking about subscriptions, I'm just talking about the activity page. I rarely sub to a thread, but my recent activity page has a bunch of threads I've posted to but have no desire to keep up with. I do like the recent activity page though since one stop checking.
#25 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Hmm that could be more than one spot. Do you mean the section at the bottom of your profile page? I'm not sure the activity feature can be altered like subs. Can you screenshot which page you mean? And admin can ask the devs.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#26 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Yes, the one at the bottom of the profile page. I've gotten used to using it since the change over but I keep having to hit the more button to check threads and scroll past stuff I have no intention of going back to. I just thought I'd ask if it was possible and I missed it. If I have to I guess I can start subbing to some threads and use that page instead.

#27 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

I think that is something that you cannot control because it is the system tracking and displaying your most recent activity. It is not related to your subscriptions. smile.gif

#28 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM

ok thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page