Help Us Help MDC: We're Creating a Top Ten Feature Request List for 2011 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I'd like the reply button to include the multi-quote so I don't have to scroll back up (or page to the previous page) to find my last multi-quoted post.

yeahthat.gif

I'd also like the "last post" button to take me to the last post I viewed, like it did in the old platform, rather than the last post in the thread. Going to the last post in the thread is virtually useless to me when I still have to scroll all the way back to the last post I saw, which may be a page or two back.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#62 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM

More social networking integration!  For example, being able to sign in via Twitter, or post discussions to Twitter, or see other users' social networking accounts that they've linked to MDC.

Mama to Eris, born 9/21/2010! energy.gifbellyhair.gif@earthshod on Twitter.
#63 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 PM

I'd really like to see a chat feature.

TTC #1 My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/329153

#64 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl 
My #1 priority is to fix the spellcheck.  I am a terrible speller and sooooo tired of having to look stuff up on google before I post.

I use spell check with my firefox what browser do you use?

I use Firefox as well.  When I click on a misspelled word I am no longer given options to change it.

BFandHS likes this.
#65 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 PM

I would really like MDC to have more privacy settings for the single parents section.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#66 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by escher12 View Post

I'd like to have the ability to change the number of posts I see per page.

This is my first priority too.

Me too - I want to be able to have at least 100 posts per page like before.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#67 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

I use Firefox as well.  When I click on a misspelled word I am no longer given options to change it.

I had that problem to and Georgia told me how to fix it back in the big long thread when we had the change over but I dont remember how I did it greensad.gif I am thinking it was switching to BBCode editor but I am not sure and when I search for it I cant find it. I have never been able to get the search thing to work right with this new format.

ETA finally found it you press and hold the ctrl key and then right click on the misspelled word and now I am pretty sure using BBC Editor makes it so you dont have to do that since I no longer do.
BFandHS likes this.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#68 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

I had that problem to and Georgia told me how to fix it back in the big long thread when we had the change over but I dont remember how I did it greensad.gif I am thinking it was switching to BBCode editor but I am not sure and when I search for it I cant find it. I have never been able to get the search thing to work right with this new format.ETA finally found it you press and hold the ctrl key and then right click on the misspelled word and now I am pretty sure using BBC Editor makes it so you dont have to do that since I no longer do.

Awesome! I switched to the BB Code Editor and now I have spellcheck!! joy.gif

ETA: and I can do askii smilies again! joy.gifjoy.gif
#69 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 PM

Chamomile Girl glad I was able to help a little. Being able to type out the smile is a nice thing as well joy.gif

I forgot awhile ago to put a chat option. Would LOVE having that forums are nice but sometimes real time chat is needed.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#70 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM

smiley code that you can just type in and subscribed thread notification with a preview of the next post posted.  And half the time I can't move around in the editor window to fix mistakes.

BFandHS and A_Random_Phrase like this.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#71 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 PM

I guess I'd like to know where the improvement is, because I don't see anything good. And oh how I hate pressing control every time I want to use Firefox's spellcheck which works so much more easily than anything else. Seriously, the editor is the worst thing ever. It worked fine before. Now it does weird quirky things all the time and I hardly have the energy to bother with posting.

#72 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, everyone! Thanks so much for the feature request suggestions so far. Please keep them coming! I would like to ask if, going forward, we can try and keep the posts about feature requests. If there are any technical questions about existing features,* please start a separate thread for organization's sake. This will help ensure that this thread stays on topic to software requests and ensure your technical questions get answered. Thanks so much for helping me with this. 

To try and answer previously asked questions briefly:

I believe BB Code should help with spellcheck and will definitely enable you to type :) in directly and get smile.gif without opening the smilie box if you know the actual smilie code. It's a much more stable editor, and I highly suggest it for anyone who's having problems with the default editor (RichText), especially those running Firefox. 

Managing your Mothering subscriptions can be done online here

Following member info is here

Also, if anyone has complaints about moderation or board policies, you are welcome to PM me or send an email to administrator@mothering.com so I may address your personal concerns individually. Thanks!

Okay, thanks to everyone for the input so far and for your help so we can put the focus on actual software feature requests. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 

ETA: *clarified my request to start separate threads about technical questions regarding *existing software features* vs. requests for software features/functionality we don't currently offer. Thanks!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#73 of 123 Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

smiley code that you can just type in and subscribed thread notification with a preview of the next post posted.  And half the time I can't move around in the editor window to fix mistakes.

Yes, that's one of the quirky things. Not being able to move around to fix mistakes. Bah humbug.

#74 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

yeahthat.gif

I'd also like the "last post" button to take me to the last post I viewed, like it did in the old platform, rather than the last post in the thread. Going to the last post in the thread is virtually useless to me when I still have to scroll all the way back to the last post I saw, which may be a page or two back.

I'd like this as well.

My other two things are  1) the back button to take you back to *where you were* on the previous page not just to the top of the page and 2) New Posts to be static as PPs have said so that I don't see some threads on three consecutive pages and lose others completely.

Thanks

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#75 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 AM

I would like some changes to the new posts function.   I really don't like that I have to see a preview of the post.  I avoid the television forum because I have accidentally seen spoilers which ruins it.

I also wish that the new posts page would appear more like the old way.  I liked how there were columns which separated out the post title, user, and forum it was posted in.  I don't spend anywhere near as much time here because it's not as easy to get around and ignore the forums which aren't relevant to me.

I would also like the emails to subscribed threads to contain the reply.  It takes a while to load a page for those of us on slow connections and I hate it when it turns out to be a reply of just thumb.gif or something equally a waste of my time.  I hate that it takes me 2 minutes to open up a thread to see something like that.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#76 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 AM

I'd like the ability to completely hide certain forums especially in "show new posts"

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#77 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 AM

1.  I'd love an Android app.

2.  More posts per page.

3.  Ability to change skins.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#78 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

I would like to ask if, going forward, we can try and keep the posts about feature requests. If there are any technical questions, please start a separate thread for organization's sake. This will help ensure that this thread stays on topic to software requests and ensure your technical questions get answered. Thanks so much for helping me with this.

I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the distinction between the 2? 

Are you planning on compiling a big 'working list' from the answers here, getting some insight from the software team and then coming back for more input again?  I was actually expecting a poll or something where I could pick from the things available.  I did make some suggestions but now I'm not sure if they are considered 'features' or 'technical' and from the list of suggestions others have generated, I'm quite sure I'm not even aware of half the features available.
Just curious- the forums and webstuff that I used to be familiar with 10 years ago is now well beyond me.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#79 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

Quote:

I would like to ask if, going forward, we can try and keep the posts about feature requests. If there are any technical questions, please start a separate thread for organization's sake. This will help ensure that this thread stays on topic to software requests and ensure your technical questions get answered. Thanks so much for helping me with this.

Are you planning on compiling a big 'working list' from the answers here, getting some insight from the software team and then coming back for more input again?  I was actually expecting a poll or something where I could pick from the things available.  I did make some suggestions but now I'm not sure if they are considered 'features' or 'technical' and from the list of suggestions others have generated, I'm quite sure I'm not even aware of half the features available.
Just curious- the forums and webstuff that I used to be familiar with 10 years ago is now well beyond me.

Jessica

Jessica, I'm sorry for any confusion. My intentions were to ask about what features you'd like to see that we don't currently offer. If you have a request for a feature, please post it. If we already have it, I will do my best to direct you to the information about the feature. Questions about a particular existing feature would best go in a new thread. I hope that makes sense! The distinction is that we're looking for input about abilities and features we do not currently offer. Questions about how to use existing features would be best in their own dedicated thread so they don't get lost and this thread stays on topic.

I didn't want to place a poll because that limits you to the options that were placed. This thread really is to see what features members want to see versus my offering a limited selection of features *I* think you might want to see. I already know what stuff I'd like to see, but I think it's crucial to know what you want to see! I don't know what I don't know, and I felt that asking you for your input (without limiting responses to a poll) would be the most effective way to hear what members really want. 

If someone's having problems with a feature s/he knows we do have (let's just use spellcheck as an example), I'm asking that going forward, please questions about this existing feature to a new thread. It would be fine to reply to this thread: I'd like to see a more stable spellcheck or please offer spellcheck where I don't have to click extra keys to make it work in my browser. 

When we first changed software, the goal to keep all the questions in one thread, but we all saw how impossible it was to keep up with so many posts asking about so many different problems all in one place. It's very hard to read through a ton of posts just to see your question answered, so by requesting a new thread be started, I'm trying to ensure that y'all get your questions answered to the best of my ability. Having a dedicated thread for individual questions also makes it easier for search purposes when members have questions in the future. 

I can't thank everyone enough for the amazing patience that's been shown during this time of transition.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#80 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Someone mentioned a chat feature. That might be nice.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#81 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 03:37 PM

More posts per page view. If a thread is more than 2 pages long, I don't have time to wait for it to load to read it.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#82 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM

I would like a button which says, Posts With No Replies so I could find those easily.  I have seen that on other forums. 

(I would just use the Advanced Search feature, but it doesn't show  posts with less than 1 reply which has been reported but not fixed)

Hermana Linda, Mom to The Techie (20 yrs old) and The Violinist (18 years old)
#83 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 PM

1. I'd like to be able to type smileys again, instead of having to go through menus to click on them.

2. I'd like to be able to easily access the last post I read in a thread.

3. I'd like the smileys to be organized and maybe more smileys.

4. I'd like an iPhone app

Thanks for asking!

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#84 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I'll hang back and watch.  I'm sure there are many new features I'm just not even aware of.  Jessica

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

Quote:

Jessica

Jessica, I'm sorry for any confusion. My intentions were to ask about what features you'd like to see that we don't currently offer. If you have a request for a feature, please post it. If we already have it, I will do my best to direct you to the information about the feature. Questions about a particular existing feature would best go in a new thread. I hope that makes sense! The distinction is that we're looking for input about abilities and features we do not currently offer. Questions about how to use existing features would be best in their own dedicated thread so they don't get lost and this thread stays on topic.

I didn't want to place a poll because that limits you to the options that were placed. This thread really is to see what features members want to see versus my offering a limited selection of features *I* think you might want to see. I already know what stuff I'd like to see, but I think it's crucial to know what you want to see! I don't know what I don't know, and I felt that asking you for your input (without limiting responses to a poll) would be the most effective way to hear what members really want. 

If someone's having problems with a feature s/he knows we do have (let's just use spellcheck as an example), I'm asking that going forward, please questions about this existing feature to a new thread. It would be fine to reply to this thread: I'd like to see a more stable spellcheck or please offer spellcheck where I don't have to click extra keys to make it work in my browser. 

When we first changed software, the goal to keep all the questions in one thread, but we all saw how impossible it was to keep up with so many posts asking about so many different problems all in one place. It's very hard to read through a ton of posts just to see your question answered, so by requesting a new thread be started, I'm trying to ensure that y'all get your questions answered to the best of my ability. Having a dedicated thread for individual questions also makes it easier for search purposes when members have questions in the future. 

I can't thank everyone enough for the amazing patience that's been shown during this time of transition.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#85 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM

For me,

I would like to get rid the reviews on the right, I don't like ads and those (even though they are not called ads) annoy me.

I would like more posts per page, I like 50 or 100, sometimes 200, but would settle for 50.

I would like a working back button.

cheenya and A_Random_Phrase like this.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#86 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I would love for the smile page to stay open instead of shutting down after I pick just one smile when I am doing my siggy since :code dosnt work there at all. That is sooooo irritating. I dont even open the smiles page any more because it is so annoying.

#87 of 123 Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Iphone app

#88 of 123 Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 AM

I would love a mobile skin, iphone app, anything like that really. 

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#89 of 123 Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Iphone app, organized smilies and be able to type the smilies....

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#90 of 123 Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Privacy option - nonmembers can't view or download photos that I post on forums in MDC

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page