Help Us Help MDC: We're Creating a Top Ten Feature Request List for 2011 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The software team has asked us to prioritize what software features we'd most like to see in the coming year. We would like to ask you to help us prioritize an MDC's top ten most requested and pressing feature list. So, please let us know what community features you'd most like to see. We don't want to make any assumptions about what it is you'd like to see or ask for features that might not be what the community really wants. So, please take a moment to weigh in with your thoughts on what features will enhance your MDC experience! 

Examples of feature requests might be:

I'd really like to see MDC have a mobile skin

I'd really like to see a chat feature

I'd really like to _________ because I think this will be super helpful when I ______. 

We've had a lot of changes recently since the software changeover and are hoping to find out what features are going to make MDC easier to navigate and for you to participate in. A main criteria for development requests will be that the feature needs to be something that it will make the most impact for the most amount of members. Just because we place a request, unfortunately, doesn't mean it will come to fruition. But, we're certainly doing our best! 

Thank you so much for your assistance to help MDC be an even better place. We appreciate your feedback! 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 AM

Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 AM

I'd like to have the ability to change the number of posts I see per page.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escher12 View Post

Yes.  That would be my first priority.

Second priority:  I'd like the reply button to include the multi-quote so I don't have to scroll back up (or page to the previous page) to find my last multi-quoted post.

Third priority:  I'd like a separate listing of subscribed threads and subscribed forums.  I've simply stopped subscribing to anything.

Thanks for asking!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 AM

More than anything I would like a working back button.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Third priority:  I'd like a separate listing of subscribed threads and subscribed forums.  I've simply stopped subscribing to anything.

I was going to agree to this, but then I just looked in "My Subscriptions" and I see a tab for forums and another for threads.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 AM

The ability to change the colour scheme. This ones nice enough, but there are parts that are really hard for me to read.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 AM

I would like the ability to "bookmark" a/multiple particular post(s) in a thread. I visit threads with thousands of posts, some more helpful than others, and wading back through pages of posts later for the most helpful is aggravating.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Old 01-15-2011, 06:07 AM

I would love to see a skin option without the white background. I have a plethora of stupid floaters - http://www.floatershell.com/ - so the darker the background, the easier for me to read. I am the only person in my group of geeky friends who uses the Wikipedia skin called "Vector," which I love.

Also, more posts per page would be nice, as well.

Thanks, folks!

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 AM

I'd like for e-mail notifications regarding subscribed threads to be more readable.  Right now, quoted text is (at least for me, maybe it's a setting?) totally indistinguishable from new text.  And bits of the text show up in purple and others in black but that doesn't correspond to which bits are new and which are quoted.  It means I pretty much need to skim the whole reply looking for unfamiliar text, which is super annoying when it was a really long original post and someone has quoted the whole thing and only added "I agree," or whatever.  I wish people didn't do that but that's beyond your control!

I would also love to be able to read and post with my phone without waiting ages for page loads.  So I guess a mobile version of the site if that's what you mean by a mobile skin.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 AM

I'd like the smiley interface to be better organized and easier to use.  I barely use smileys anymore because it takes too long to find what I want.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

I'd like the smiley interface to be better organized and easier to use.  I barely use smileys anymore because it takes too long to find what I want.  

I agree--it would be very helpful if the smilies could be organized.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:52 AM

I third organizing the smileys.

Also I would like to be able to mark a subforum as read without marking all of mdc as read.  Unless there is already a way to do that that I'm not seeing.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escher12 View Post

This is my first priority too.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Yes, this.  Also, the new system can no longer do the conversion from typing to smiley, ie.  from :lol to lol.gif

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM

Definitely the smiley thing. 

Someone also mentioned the idea of "bookmarking" posts in long threads. I love this idea, and if it could work, it'd be great. 

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM

A working back button is a must.

A better smiley interface (much easier to just type in the one you want :thumb thumb.gif

iphone app would be great!

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What I want most is to be able to choose a different color scheme, without the bright white background.  I was very happy with the old tan and would love something like that.

Much less important (but probably also much easier to implement), I'd like an easy-to-access New Posts link on the Subscriptions page, instead of having to look way down near the bottom.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 AM

iPhone app and organized smileys!

love.gif

Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

I would like the ability to "bookmark" a/multiple particular post(s) in a thread. I visit threads with thousands of posts, some more helpful than others, and wading back through pages of posts later for the most helpful is aggravating.

I agree with the above.  Although MOST of all I would LOVE an iPhone application that is easy to use.  (I think that is what people mean when they say they want MDC to have "mobile skin"?  but being a non-techy, I'm not sure.) :)

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post

I'd like for e-mail notifications regarding subscribed threads to be more readable.  Right now, quoted text is (at least for me, maybe it's a setting?) totally indistinguishable from new text.  And bits of the text show up in purple and others in black but that doesn't correspond to which bits are new and which are quoted.  It means I pretty much need to skim the whole reply looking for unfamiliar text, which is super annoying when it was a really long original post and someone has quoted the whole thing and only added "I agree," or whatever.  I wish people didn't do that but that's beyond your control!

nod.gif  yeahthat.gif

Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 AM

I would like the ability to manage my Mothering Magazine subscription online at the site.

It's been twice now, where I sent a check in and I'm still not receiving my subscription to my home.

It's difficult for me to get on the phone and contact Mothering.

I would like to be able to pay and see when my subscription ends online - make changes and add friends.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The reply and smiley interface is very awkward-- the way it used to be was much better, taking you to a new page to reply instead of jumping to the bottom of the page, and opening a separate window for smilies.

Also, the spellcheck built into firefox does not work in the reply box, which is annoying.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks for asking us!!!

1. Option to change background color (or simply change entire site background). The stark white of the response areas is REALLY HARD on my eyes and I spend a LOT LESS time here. Reading black on white for long periods creates a headache. Black words on a soft color is so much easier.

2. The other reason I spend a lot less time here is there is no easy way to work through a forum anymore. There used to be a "next thread" button at the bottom of each thread and I could read through a bunch of threads in short order that were of similar topic and, therefore, mostly of interest to me.

3. iPhone app!!!!!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM

1. different skin color-the current one hurts my eyes

2.  better organized smiles.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM

My #1 priority is to fix the spellcheck.  I am a terrible speller and sooooo tired of having to look stuff up on google before I post.

#2 would be to make the pages static when you are reading through multiple pages.  In other words when during times of heavy posting page 2 will have the same content as page 1 and that is very annoying.  I want to be able to read through multiple pages of posts without having to see the same stuff.  I'm not explaining this very well am I ?

#3 would be to fix the smilies.  I also miss the askii being translated into the smilie automatically.  Also the current organization of the smilie list is awful.

#4 It would be great if there were a feature under my home page or my profile where the threads that have been updated appear first.  Threads that I have responded to a long time ago that become active again are buried forever.  I never know if there is new activity unless I go looking for it.  Having the threads listed not by my most recent posting but by which one has been most recently posted to would be awesome.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 AM

Organized smilies

Ability to change backgrounds

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
#2 would be to make the pages static when you are reading through multiple pages.  In other words when during times of heavy posting page 2 will have the same content as page 1 and that is very annoying.  I want to be able to read through multiple pages of posts without having to see the same stuff.  I'm not explaining this very well am I ?

Oh, yes, this would be my #2, too!  It's annoying when you're going through New Posts and half of each new page is posts you already saw listed on the previous page.  (My #1 is a different background color option.)

Old 01-15-2011, 10:31 AM

I need more functionality with the Search.  The old Search let me look for posts or threads started by a User, I can't see how to do that now.  It let me search for words in either the thread title or within a post, and it let me choose an output of either threads or posts. 

And bonus if I could search through wikis the same way (but choose either forums or wikis, or both).  I know there aren't a lot of wikis now, but there's a lot of potential there.

Most of my use of MDC is related to learning health stuff, and I can no longer effectively Search, and I can't suggest that people use the Search anymore to find old, on-topic threads.  We have come up with multiple solutions to almost every common health problem somewhere on MDC--it would be a shame to lose that just because we can't find it, yk? 

My ideal Search, beyond what I wrote above:

-I'd like to be able to Search using AND or OR (not necessarily written like that, but sometimes I want a post that includes both methylation and folate, and sometimes either)

-I liked how the old Search was improved to let us search for very short phrases (like in the TF forum, sometimes I'd want to search for threads that include K2 in the title -- the word vitamin is too common, so I want just K2)

-I want to be able to look at specific time periods (I don't need to be able to type in exact dates, but categories like this month, the last 6 months, 2010, 2009, were workable, if we could do that, I'd be happy)

Oh, and like PPs have mentioned, if it's possible to have a) the smiley page re-organized, maybe all the hugs are next to each other, stuff like that, and b) a way was created to just type in smileys rather than using the smiley page (or switching to the other, awkward editor), that would be really nice. 

User Tag List