Facebook Connect - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

We're getting ready to launch Facebook Connect as a way to link your Facebook account with your account here. Before we do so I'd love to get input on our wiki that explains the feature, the how-to's and certain privacy concerns. You can read it here.

Please post to this thread to share ideas and suggestions. Thanks!

#2 of 29 Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Bumping this up to see if anyone has any questions about this before we launch it. 

#3 of 29 Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is scary.  It sounds just like that dreaded feature that you had to turn off quickly after the launch of the new system.

I use the same email for facebook and MDC. 

I do NOT want my FB friends to see my very personal posts here.  I do not want my email available for "friend" searches .... AGAIN.

In the link you posted, it sounds like you are trying to avoid these pitfalls.  I hope we don't have unforseen breeches of privacy again.  Please reassure us!

Good grief.

A_Random_Phrase and bananabee like this.
#4 of 29 Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Yes, suppose I use the same email here and on Facebook.  And suppose I have FB friends who are also members on MDC and they use Facebook Connect. Will I automatically be listed in their 'facebook friends' list?  Or would I only show up if I, too, was using facebook connect?

bananabee likes this.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#5 of 29 Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

As long as you do not associate your account here with your Facebook account by using the Facebook Connect feature you should have no privacy concerns. 

Quote:

What about my privacy?

First and foremost: if you are frightened by the thought of connecting your Facebook identity to your forum presence, simply don't use this feature. It's not required and it never will be. We respect the fact that many members want to keep their online accounts separate, and we'll never force you to use Facebook or engage it automatically or anything of the sort.

If you do choose to use the feature here....

Quote:

Here's what information may be used, and how:

Your Facebook name: If you're using the Facebook Connect link to register here, we'll automatically populate the "Desired username" in the registration form with your Facebook name. If you approve this, your Facebook name will be your forum username here. If you are an established member already, don't worry. We will never replace your forum username with your Facebook name. It would be confusing to everyone if people's names changed unexpectedly.

Your Facebook profile picture will be used as your forum avatar. This is true for newly registering users and established members who decide to try connecting with Facebook.

Your Facebook email address: Site admins will have access to the email address you use on Facebook, but it will not be exposed to other members.

Your friends list: We will scan your Facebook friend list to see if any of your friends are here - and we'll show them to you. We don't use this information for any other purpose, and we don't send messages to your friends.

#6 of 29 Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

As long as you do not associate your account here with your Facebook account by using the Facebook Connect feature you *should* have no privacy concerns.

(emphasis added...)

I think I better get another free hotmail account for MDC

bananabee likes this.
#7 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

A few things to be aware of now that this is live:

Right now, the Share to Facebook option when posting in a forum is on by default, so please make sure you understand this. This feature remembers your last action, so if you deselect the Share box, it will stay that way until it's clicked again.

The other issue: the Share feature appears in private forums, but anyone who tries to click into the thread from Facebook will not be able to do so. The only content that would be displayed on Facebook is the first sentence of the post -- anyone who tries to click through will either be prompted to log in to Mothering, and if they're a member, they'll be notified that they don't have permission to see the forum.

We have our engineering team working to remove the FB Share functionality from private forums. In the meantime, feel free to share content to Facebook, but please know that Share = on is the default setting and this is particularly important for members who post to private forums until this particular issue is addressed on the backend to disable it from private forums. 

#8 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM

This is a quote from the wiki ....

Your friends list: We will scan your Facebook friend list to see if any of your friends are here - and we'll show them to you. We don't use this information for any other purpose, and we don't send messages to your friends.

What if we don't want our FB friends to be able to find us on Mothering?  (i.e. One of my FB friends decides they DO want to turn on this new FB Connect feature.  I don't use it.  Will they see my FB email equals my MDC username here?)

Thanks.

bananabee likes this.
#9 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM

i can't believe this is defaulted to connect automatically! boo on you MDC! bad bad choice in my opinion!
Mama Mko and ghannit like this.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#10 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

HappyMommy2 I'm asking for clarification about that as my understanding of it when I asked earlier was different. I'll let you know what I find out and if there is any privacy concern.

wehrli, this was activated in a new release of the software. I'm making everyone aware of what I understand to be the default and asking for clarification about it before I decide to keep the feature enabled or ask for it to be disabled. Our announcements before the launch of the feature and our new announcement today is to keep everyone informed so their privacy is protected. 

As I understand it, it is not defaulted to connect you to your Facebook account. The default occurs when you OPT to connect to Facebook via Facebook Connect. This is the default for any site using Facebook Connect. When you click on the "Connect with Facebook" link:

connect.tiff

You get this popup from Facebook:

fbcon.tiff

If you don't want share your posts to your wall you simply do not use the Facebook Connect feature. 

#11 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

If I am a business member with a business avatar, and I choose to use the FB connect feature, will it connect as my business FB account, or my personal FB account?  If it connects as me, will it replace my MDC avatar with my personal avatar, or can I choose, and if it connects as my business FB account, will it take that avatar?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#12 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Galatea, I just tested this and by connecting with Facebook Connect it does replace your current MDC avatar with your Facebook avatar. To put your business avatar back you'd have to go to your profile and upload it again to your avatar window.

#13 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Once you connect via Facebook Connect you will see this at the bottom of all new or reply post windows:

publish.tiff

That is what is set as a default - the box is checked. You can uncheck it if you do not want your post featured on your Facebook Wall.

#14 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

OK, so this is an 'opt in' only, not an 'opt out' decision.  OK, I'm fine with that.

Nothing happens 'automatically' unless I opt in for it.  I don't have to go hunting down some hidden privacy setting under my account in order to opt out of this feature.  Right? 

Honestly this sounds like great fun if you're happy to have your FB life connected with your MDC.  But I'm not into that.  orngbiggrin.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#15 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Yes, it is opt-in only. :)

HappyMommy2 no need to worry about the Friends feature as we are going to keep that disabled on our site. So Facebook should not pull a list of your friends if you decide to use the FB Connect feature here. 

#16 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Yes, it is opt-in only. :)

HappyMommy2 no need to worry about the Friends feature as we are going to keep that disabled on our site. So Facebook should not pull a list of your friends if you decide to use the FB Connect feature here. 

Okay,  suppose we don't use the FB Connect feature, but someone else on our FB friends list is also on MDC and does use FB connect.  If our email here is the same as FB will they be able to find us here.  (I have FB friends who might be on MDC, but that doesn't mean I want them to find me here, y'know).

So ultimately, does the FB connect identify other users, even if those users have opted out?

BUT, since you have disabled the Friends feature no one should be able to find any of their facebook friends here, right?

#17 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 AM

Even though I use FB, I'm not up on a lot of the online terminology at all, so this question comes from that lack of information. I don't know what FB  Connect is - does this mean that people who opt to use it are linking their FB Friends to all our posts here?

And where will the FB Connect option buttons be located? Will it be set up in such a way that we can just opt in or opt out once and for all if we want?  Lillian

#18 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Sorry to pop up with another dumb question, but people here keep mentioning email - what has email got to do with this? Maybe someone needs to talk to me in baby talk and tell me what in the world this is all about, because I'm lost.  - Lillian

#19 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OMGosh... I'm so glad I don't have facebook account.
CrazyCatLady likes this.
#20 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

Sorry to pop up with another dumb question, but people here keep mentioning email - what has email got to do with this? Maybe someone needs to talk to me in baby talk and tell me what in the world this is all about, because I'm lost.  - Lillian

I think that email address is how the software would match people from your facebook friends list with members here at MDC. 

#21 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM

I am not thrilled to see Facebook linked to MDC at all, but that's just me.  I would like to ask if there is any way the "Connect to Facebook" link can be moved to a location that is not right below one's user name and the "logout" link.  I think having it in such a close proximity makes it much too easy to click the link for facebook by accident.  I have the same concern with the proximity of the link to the login form as well when signing in.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of Facebook's trend of spreading all over the internet and trying to make everything about Facebook.  I don't think this new link is a positive development for the forums, although I'm sure others would disagree.

HappyMommy2 and Mama Mko like this.
#22 of 29 Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Having it right beneath the regular login is the most appropriate place for it. If you have not logged in with Facebook Connect in the past it should not be an issue for you. If you accidently click on the FB Connect you'll quickly realize it and just have to click the back button to return and login normally. 

#23 of 29 Old 04-01-2011, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I haven't decided if I'll use it, or not, but because of Ad Block Plus, I never see the login box. So, I don't see the Facebook Connect request, either. Can it be accessed in another way?

I am a BIG Facebook fan, by the way.

#24 of 29 Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the response.  Understanding now that it is an alternate login process rather than an account setting, I see why the location makes sense.  I think it would be more helpful to have to next to the login/username/logout rather than below it, but that's just preference.  Thanks again.  :)

#25 of 29 Old 04-01-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Polliwog - not that I know of. Sorry. shy.gif

#26 of 29 Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:

HappyMommy2 I'm asking for clarification about that as my understanding of it when I asked earlier was different. I'll let you know what I find out and if there is any privacy concern.

wehrli, this was activated in a new release of the software. I'm making everyone aware of what I understand to be the default and asking for clarification about it before I decide to keep the feature enabled or ask for it to be disabled. Our announcements before the launch of the feature and our new announcement today is to keep everyone informed so their privacy is protected. 

As I understand it, it is not defaulted to connect you to your Facebook account. The default occurs when you OPT to connect to Facebook via Facebook Connect. This is the default for any site using Facebook Connect. When you click on the "Connect with Facebook" link:

connect.tiff

You get this popup from Facebook:

fbcon.tiff

If you don't want share your posts to your wall you simply do not use the Facebook Connect feature. 

thanks for the clarification! i'm not so worried now... innocent.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#27 of 29 Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Another option for those who are concerned about using the same email address for both facebook and mdc is to associate a generic one with mdc. This is what I did after the last email expose fiasco. I was not willing to take that chance again.

#28 of 29 Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 PM

Polliwog, you can disable adblock for a little while in order to log in and then activate it again. smile.gif

Hermana Linda, Mom to The Techie (20 yrs old) and The Violinist (18 years old)
#29 of 29 Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Someone has brought it it my attention that the most recent posts to this discussion present some privacy and security concerns for private forum members. So, I have removed those posts and am closing the thread. If you have any questions or concerns about Facebook Connect in general, unrelated to the private forums, feel free to post a new thread. Discussion about the private forums can be posted to the FB Connect thread in those forums. 

Thanks everyone. :)

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page