New Things at Mothering! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is interesting, & while some of the posting options are different (I'm a mauve board kinda gal, lol), I like the 'clean slate' idea, & more freedom, as long as it doesn't violate Mothering ideals. 

I vote we get to see everything that's been in The Pen (was it called that? lol I forget) for a decade! Hee! 

#32 of 58 Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 PM

So, how does this fit in when it comes to posting negative experiences/opinions of Dr.'s & Midwives? That is one thing that really bugged me here.  Everyone could write a glowing review of a certain midwife, but you could not post (even respectfully) about a bad experience. You had to receive negative experiences by PM.  I've seen a lot of of posts disappear over the years because of this.

I really hope that changes.

#33 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelDream View Post

So, how does this fit in when it comes to posting negative experiences/opinions of Dr.'s & Midwives? That is one thing that really bugged me here.  Everyone could write a glowing review of a certain midwife, but you could not post (even respectfully) about a bad experience. You had to receive negative experiences by PM.  I've seen a lot of of posts disappear over the years because of this.

I really hope that changes.

We were trying to protect Mothering and our community from litigation for defamatory remarks. That's why we asked people to share their negative views via PM. 

I had hoped to save this for a bit later when we're closer to launching it but what the heck. orngbiggrin.gif We're opening a Practitioners and Services Reviews section. You will be able to leave both positive and negative reviews for practitioners  - doctors, midwives, doulas, etc - or for services such as a birth center. Of course, respectful tone will be required and we'll place some guidelines. We hope to have that going soon (before the end of the month perhaps). :)

#34 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 03:38 AM

YES!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm doing the happy dance here!

joy.gif

annettemarie likes this.

#35 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post

I might even start posting more often now lol! Before I was always afraid I was somehow violating the UA and gave up trying and moved to other boards.

yeahthat.gif

I have a question. When the intactivism forum is in place will the Case Against Circumcision forum be eliminated? Because I think CAC is a better name than Intactivism. The terms intactivism and intactivists have both been given a bad reputation. I'd hate if the circ forum was dismissed by someone who needs the info simply because it carries a name that is being associated with crazy people.

AmandasMom likes this.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#36 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettleTea View Post

I have a question. When the intactivism forum is in place will the Case Against Circumcision forum be eliminated? Because I think CAC is a better name than Intactivism. The terms intactivism and intactivists have both been given a bad reputation. I'd hate if the circ forum was dismissed by someone who needs the info simply because it carries a name that is being associated with crazy people.

The Intactivism forum will be a subforum of TCAC. TCAC will continue just as it is. smile.gif

#37 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Wait... I... I have no warnings or alerts to my name? None?! 

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joy.gifjumpers.gifenergy.gifjammin.gif

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#38 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Wait... I... I have no warnings or alerts to my name? None?! 

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joy.gifjumpers.gifenergy.gifjammin.gif

This.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#39 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

lol.gif

#40 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 PM

I am pleased beyond belief to see an Intactivism forum arriving soon.  I have wanted and advocated for it for a long time.  Thank you so much!

These all seem like very positive changes and I welcome them.

I know how hard the admin and moderator team work and I appreciate it very much.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#41 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Oh, and if you need a moderator for the Intactivism forum....... lol.gif

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#42 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks PuppyFluffer. I'll keep that offer in mind!  love.gif

#43 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Thank you thank you thank you for soon expanding/opening up the News and Current Events. That used to be one of my most visited forums. Intelligent discussion, debate and information sharing by a very caring and involved community. I really missed it, and almost threw in the towel when it converted to paid members only.

#44 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

celebrity gossip???  Oh my!!  i call that  WINNING!!! orngbiggrin.gif

I don't know that I would participate in a celebrity board, but your response cracked me up!  lol.gif

#45 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 PM

I don't really care for the celebrity gossip forum-it feels gratuitous.  I don't know, it just seems cheap.  Not like what I think of when I think of Mothering. 

#46 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM

I don't think anyone mentioned a forum, just that it would be allowed. So, for example, someone could mention a celebrity breastfeeding, start a thread in TAO, or pull in celebrity news in a reality television thread.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#47 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 PM

what about the all the posts about the Duggars, Dancing with the Stars, AI, Big Love and the like? Or the posts about the latest best selling novel, top movie, the hottest new diet or TF cookbook? How are those less gratuitous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post

I don't really care for the celebrity gossip forum-it feels gratuitous.  I don't know, it just seems cheap.  Not like what I think of when I think of Mothering. 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#48 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 PM

I just saw a post obout Sister Wives? Sure it it reality TV but how is that not celebrity gossip? I couldn't post RIP Elizabeth Edwards but talking about the latest Sister Wife scandal is OK?  shake.gif I don't get the rational....

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#49 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

I don't think anyone mentioned a forum, just that it would be allowed. So, for example, someone could mention a celebrity breastfeeding, start a thread in TAO, or pull in celebrity news in a reality television thread.

It actually mentions in the OP that the celebrity gossip discussions will be held in the media forum.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#50 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:

It actually mentions in the OP that the celebrity gossip discussions will be held in the media forum.

Right, but it sounded like some people thought we were opening a whole new celebrity gossip forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#51 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 AM

Must be my mistake re: forum.  I don't come to MDC for celebrity gossip, so it never passed my radar as a desirable feature.  Just me.

#52 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks! I saw the answers to my concerns upthread. New color schemes coming soon and "next thread" and "previous thread" is in testing. Both of those make me VERY HAPPY!!! orngbiggrin.gif

Awhile ago I saw a message about testing the phone app. I don't have time to test anything right now, so I can wait for that to become a reality. I just spend a lot less time here. (Only access from my computer.) Maybe a good thing? LOL

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#53 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

Thanks! I saw the answers to my concerns upthread. New color schemes coming soon and "next thread" and "previous thread" is in testing. Both of those make me VERY HAPPY!!! orngbiggrin.gif

Awhile ago I saw a message about testing the phone app. I don't have time to test anything right now, so I can wait for that to become a reality. I just spend a lot less time here. (Only access from my computer.) Maybe a good thing? LOL

sunny, the tapatalk app works great now.  The only thing it lacks right now is "new posts" and pm access (I think).  But knowing those features are a go on my other board (vbulletin), I imagine eventually they will be added for MDC.  But really, give it a try, b/c it loads much faster and if you click on "favorites" all your subscribed threads are right there - and when clicked on, they take you to the last unread post.  It's a lot better, IMO, than the mobile skin we had previously.

Regarding celebrity gossip - I took it to mean there will be less moderation in the media forum, so when we are talking about a specific television show we don't have to be so careful as to what we say.  As it was, if you shared something you read in a magazine, or heard - ie gossip - about one of the characters or stars, there was a high chance of it being deleted or the thread closing, b/c MDC didn't host celebrity gossip.  It just made it harder to know what you could discuss, as it was easy to cross the line - especially with reality TV b/c for the most part, the people portrayed are real, yk?  I don't think MDC is saying hey, everyone should start threads specifically to discuss a certain celebrity's drama - ie Charlie Sheen.  But that in a thread discussing Two and a Half Men, if something about his real life came up it wouldn't shut down the entire thread. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#54 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

what about the all the posts about the Duggars, Dancing with the Stars, AI, Big Love and the like? Or the posts about the latest best selling novel, top movie, the hottest new diet or TF cookbook? How are those less gratuitous?

I can't speak for all those threads, but when I post in the TV forum it is to discuss the show not the actors private lives.

#55 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Quote:

Right, but it sounded like some people thought we were opening a whole new celebrity gossip forum.

If MDC is going to host celebrity gossip it would be great if it was in it's own forum instead of taking up space in media where we are talking about the art IE the actual music, tv shows and books and not what artists are doing in their private lives IE off work hours.

#56 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:

True, but it could be a subforum just to keep things organized. We haven't decided on anything yet.

#57 of 58 Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Thank you sooooo much for the Next Thread and Previous Thread links!!!!!!!! love.gif

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#58 of 58 Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

thumb.gif You're welcome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page