Change Screen Name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there any way to change a screen name? 

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#2 of 15 Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Contact me by PM to explain your username change need.

#3 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Contact me by PM to explain your username change need.

Cynthia- Is this now the official way to request a name change, thru you? If that is (or isn't) the case is there a way to let the MDC community at large know? I know I have concerns regarding the now more public face of MDC and am sure, as noted on the other threads, many other have the same concerns. However before we all barrage you with PM's I want to confirm the fact that this is the preferred way.

thank you

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM

i to would like to know i pmed you and have not received anything back as of yet

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#5 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Username changes are only for extreme situations. So yes, it can be done but it is not always done just by request. There has to be a valid issue at hand that is threatening your personal security and privacy. 

#6 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 03:34 PM

I'd like to post support for the ability to change our usernames. I actually tried to do so recently, but could not. No one is threatening me, but given the increased sharing of threads on FB & Twitter, I really think we should have the option to do so. 

#7 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Username changes are only for extreme situations. So yes, it can be done but it is not always done just by request. There has to be a valid issue at hand that is threatening your personal security and privacy. 

I am glad for this, actually. While I am happy usernames can be changed for reasons of safety/privacy, it is very difficult to have a community where people are changing their names all the time. It's very frustrating to engage in a conversation with someone only to suddenly have a name change. Not to mention it seems a little pointless, because old usernames are quoted, so it's not really a fix. I guess I could see it if your username was Momof12 and you suddenly found yourself with a surprise 13th. lol.gif

Is there something in the UA/when people sign up telling people to choose carefully because they're stuck with it? I can't remember.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 PM

I don't know if there is a clause in the UA or upon registering, BUT, I do know there was a lot of notification before "the change" that if you wanted a new username, now was the time to do so b/c with the new software it wasn't going to be allowed.  The reasoning was that it was going to be harder to do, vs. just having an admin change it for you.  I'm pretty sure there was something on the top of the screen for a while, as well as threads in Q&A. 

Regardless, I do hope anyone who has any true safety concerns b/c of what their name is linked to is able to change it.  The problem is that it's not hard at all to go back and figure out who someone used to be, plus any thread that hasn't been active for 6 months is locked -- which means you cannot go back and delete or change personal info easily. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 05:03 PM

I don't understand the reason behind no name changes.  I like my screen name, but I no longer live in the suburbs so I wanted to change it.  Obviously no one is threatening me so it won't happen. 

It's not really that confusing when people change their screen names.  That argument just doesn't stand up.  There are how many members on MDC?  You can't possibly remember everyone anyway so why does it matter if I change my name?

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#10 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I find it confusing when I enter into a conversation with someone who has one name and then later and without warning, they have another. Sort of like when my son randomly decides he wants me to call him Superior Nick. It just gets hard to keep track of, especially when earlier in the conversation they are being quoted under the original screen name. And it's precisely because there are so many members that it's so confusing. I follow someone's story and the next thing I know they have a different name and I'm not sure if this is the same person or not. It gives me a weird feeling like deja vu, and I hate deja vu. Additionally, if the concern is privacy, it's not really going to do much unless it's followed by someone leaving MDC altogether or starting a completely new account, which I believe is frowned upon in this establishment.

I get that people pick screen names that don't always fit for their entire MDC life. I think it must be another board I'm on that basically says when you sign up "Your username is sticking with you forever, so don't pick one that's based on transient things." Or maybe I imagined it, but it's a good idea, IMHO.

ETA: Also, from what I understand, the reason behind it is that it's difficult to do now. I think I remember reading that at some point.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM

I would be fine with folks feeling confused with a username change if it meant that I felt personally more comfortable with my presence on MDC.  I guess that I was somewhat aware that MDC wanted name changes done before the changeover, but I didn't feel the need.  Now that we're well into the changeover, my perspective has changed.  I feel like the community as a whole is starting to change, the vibe feels different, and because I think MDC is "marketing" itself in ways that haven't felt great, I would rather have my username be reflective of where I see myself in this community NOW as opposed to years ago when I became a member.

Perhaps a small fee, or a one time only change option?  Or something for those of us with high post counts and long memberships--we clearly value our relationship here. It seems that "community" goes both ways, and this is a request that seems important to a fair number of folks.

HappyMommy2 likes this.
#12 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM

I agree with karne about the members, like myself, that have many posts that don't want to delete acct and just want a name change. I was very naive when I signed up here and would like my name changed. Although I'm thinking of deleting my acct anyhow as I dont post near as much as I used to. I'm not a fan of other people snarking me and my decisions. smile.gif
#13 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 PM

Unless it would be prohibitively difficult for the administrators, a one-time screen name change for all users (maybe for users over a certain number of posts?) seems reasonable.  I wish I could change mine for a bit more privacy, but I don't have any safety concerns that would necessitate a change.  I fear that some users may trump up stories related to safety, then the administrators will be PM'd excessively with requests...perhaps a one-time exception would meet everyone's needs/desires.  Just a thought.  Another suggestion would be a HUGE caution to new users with some info. about why they may not want to use an identifiable screen name.  Perhaps it could be posted prominently at the beginning of the process

annettemarie likes this.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#14 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

Unless it would be prohibitively difficult for the administrators, a one-time screen name change for all users (maybe for users over a certain number of posts?) seems reasonable.  I wish I could change mine for a bit more privacy, but I don't have any safety concerns that would necessitate a change.  I fear that some users may trump up stories related to safety, then the administrators will be PM'd excessively with requests...perhaps a one-time exception would meet everyone's needs/desires.  Just a thought.  Another suggestion would be a HUGE caution to new users with some info. about why they may not want to use an identifiable screen name.  Perhaps it could be posted prominently at the beginning of the process

yeahthat.gif I really would like to change my username. When I first signed up I had no idea I would be posting as often as I am now. Like a pp said I too was very naive. To be honest, I didn't even really know what I was doing - I thought it was just to access digital copies of the magazine which is how I got on here. New members should be cautioned when signing up. That's an excellent idea.

I think a one time change should be allowed. THat would be so nice. Otherwise I think I may just ditch this username. Why isn't a one-time username change allowed? I think wanting more privacy / anonymity is a pretty good and valid reason. Especially in light of the cross posting to FB and Twitter. But regardless, why does there have to be a reason?

#15 of 15 Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM

I to, would really like to change my name. I had no idea what a chat board was and never thought that my screen name would be an issue. I rarely post because of this, even though I would like to.

A one time name change would be so nice.

What if given the chance to change your screen name if you upgrade to a supporting member?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page