Cussing- what are the rules? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 06-07-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't find it in the user agreement. What are the rules about using curse words? I like to use them every once in awhile, so I was just wondering, and I obviously don't want to get banned or something. Can someone find what MDC says about this? Thanks in advance!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 41 Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

We don't have a specific swearing rule.  Occasional swearing is okay.  Dropping an F-bomb will get you an edit request, as will swearing in every post, or a lot of swearing in one post.  Does that answer your question?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 41 Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 PM

if it's an automatic "edit request" shouldn't it be listed somewhere as a "no-no"?

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#4 of 41 Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Administrator

In the interest of a simpler UA, we didn't list every single thing that might garner an edit request. We ask people to edit for a lot of things that are not detailed specifically in the UA. 

lovingmommyhood likes this.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

Are y'all serious? Can y'all not behave like adults on your own? You have to be told what is acceptable and what's not? So what if you cuss one too many times or say a 'no no' word...they send you a warning and you fix it, not the end of the world right? I think people are pushing this UA thing way too much. give the mods a rest.

Just post and live life...stop worrying about the small stuff. smile.gif
#6 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaer08 View Post

Are y'all serious? Can y'all not behave like adults on your own? You have to be told what is acceptable and what's not? So what if you cuss one too many times or say a 'no no' word...they send you a warning and you fix it, not the end of the world right? I think people are pushing this UA thing way too much. give the mods a rest.

I know you're new here, but I think you're my hero.
lovingmommyhood likes this.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

What would you say if I told you I wasn't new, just got a new account and have been here for umpteen years and have been sitting here for years watching grown men and women acting like my 8 year old and got sick of them whining and complaining and when things changed...some for the better...they complain about that?

How was that for a run on sentence? wink1.gif

Now I see why people have been RUNNING to another website....bc they are SICK AND TIRED of being around immature 'adults'.

Just sayin.
#8 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:

What would you say if I told you I wasn't new, just got a new account and have been here for umpteen years and have been sitting here for years watching grown men and women acting like my 8 year old and got sick of them whining and complaining and when things changed...some for the better...they complain about that?

Now I see why people have been RUNNING to another website....bc they are SICK AND TIRED of being around immature 'adults'.

Just sayin.

I would tell you that's probably not something you want to cop to in a thread where an admin was posting. wink1.gif And then I would ask you to PM me because now I am crazy curious. And then I would go back to kissing my baby and eating my glazed pecans. Yum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM

M, you sound suspiciously familiar sulkoff.gif

mischievous.gif
#10 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Sigh. I seriously have no clue. Mod spidey sense... fading... away....

#11 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Considering the history of the board, I can totally see why someone would ask about the rules. 

And really, you sure seem to have a strong opinion for someone that has 10 posts and just joined last month. 

#12 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Just sayin.

so why are you still here then? Oh and hiding behind a new and SECOND username. Why not have the ovaries to post in your real account while you whine about how much it sucks here?

oh I have to sub to this thread LMAO

*bejeweled* likes this.
#13 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

I don't use my other acct. And it has nothing to do with not having 'ovaries' as you put it, and everything to do with personal info being 'out there' and how naive I was when I posted under it. We all make mistakes eh?

What does it matter how long a persons been somewhere and how opinionated they are? Those two things don't go together. I'm a person...and I have opinions just like everyone else. I think people are acting silly with all the 'can I do this or that'....my opinion. I never said it sucks here....I said I was tired of people whining. Meaning about how the UA sucked. There are several rooms and people here that I do like, bc they act their age and go about their lives when someone disagrees with them.

smile.gif
#14 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 PM

swearing is my biggest pet peeve.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#15 of 41 Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandraz View Post

then don't follow the herd to TWWS!

#16 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Banned

I love swearing. 

*bejeweled*, ~~Sarah~~ and weezie1 like this.
#17 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post

blush.gif The Board That Shall Not Be Named!  uh oh

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#18 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandraz View Post

Like when people get uptight about it?  Yeah me too!

caffix.gif

#19 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Oooh, are we doing a pet peeve thread now? I hate when I get acrylic yarn on my teeth, I don't know how exactly this happens, but it's happened often enough that I know I hate it.

#20 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Oooh, are we doing a pet peeve thread now? I hate when I get acrylic yarn on my teeth, I don't know how exactly this happens, but it's happened often enough that I know I hate it.

I can't stand the feel of acrylic yarn on my bare skin. I have a bunch of afghans that a friend of the family knit (crocheted) years ago (think 1976 bicentennial themed, florescent colored ones, etc) . She always used acrylic because it "washed beautifully".  When I am sick they are nice to have around on the couch to keep warm but they completely skeeve me out if they rub on my bare skin so I have to have long sleeve shirt/long pants on.  Weird, I know!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#21 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Ahem.

You are in Q&S.  Enough with the chit chat. lol.gif

#22 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Ahem.

You are in Q&S.  Enough with the chit chat. lol.gif

Party pooper! 

#23 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator

I know, I know. lol.gif

#24 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 AM

biggrinbounce.gif

#25 of 41 Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Ya know what? Far as I know everyone has a different idea of acceptable. Where I'm from? Adults swear, maybe not every other sentence, but when a word needs to be strong enough, it's considered appropriate to cuss. And no one gives a damn either.

Phoenix~Mama likes this.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#26 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Ya know what? Far as I know everyone has a different idea of acceptable. Where I'm from? Adults swear, maybe not every other sentence, but when a word needs to be strong enough, it's considered appropriate to cuss. And no one gives a damn either.

When I lived in Seattle, if someone did something hurtful and the other person said, "that pisses me off", no one would say a thing about using the word 'piss'. Then I moved to Texas. I didn't know 'piss' was even a bad word until someone did something very hurtful to someone else, that person said "that pisses me off" and a whole bunch of other people jumped on her back, chiding her for using piss. I was more than slightly appalled that it was more important to a lot of people that the use of a swear word was worse than the actually horrible thing the other person did.

Or a wordy yeahthat to MD.

#27 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post

What's TWWS???

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#28 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

We don't have a specific swearing rule.  Occasional swearing is okay.  Dropping an F-bomb will get you an edit request, as will swearing in every post, or a lot of swearing in one post.  Does that answer your question?

So, let me get this straight. There are rules for the mods to follow such as the above-mentioned edit request for the "F-bomb", but after that you're pretty much on your own to guess? Of course, us "users" are not privy to knowing what has been decided in advance as appropriate vs not appropriate. Perfect. Makes it easy. 

If I don't know the rules in advance - I can't chose to follow or break them.

Frankly, I swear like a f*cking (is that an f-bomb?!) trucker in real life, and in my social circle - it's appropriate. 

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#29 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Dar

Well... what we're hoping is that members can read a bit and see the general tone of conversation here, and think, "Okay, if I was hanging out in real life and people were saying stuff like this, would I be saying f-ing this and f-ed up that, or would I key in to the general tone and be able to code switch and use language that seems like it won't offend any other members or make them uncomfortable?" That's all we're looking for, really. I have social circles in which I swear a lot, and social circles in which I really don't, and I'm able to make that transition pretty smoothly. Like, a lot of people with young kids don't seem to like swearing in front of their kids, so I try not to, because it would make them uncomfortable. Occasionally a colorful word slips out, but I try, and that's all we ask... and here, unlike in real life, you can go back and edit if you start thinking later that your words might have been poorly chosen for the situation.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#30 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Sarah~~ View Post

So, let me get this straight. There are rules for the mods to follow such as the above-mentioned edit request for the "F-bomb", but after that you're pretty much on your own to guess? Of course, us "users" are not privy to knowing what has been decided in advance as appropriate vs not appropriate. Perfect. Makes it easy. 

If I don't know the rules in advance - I can't chose to follow or break them.

Frankly, I swear like a f*cking (is that an f-bomb?!) trucker in real life, and in my social circle - it's appropriate. 

Way back when, we had a Family Friendly designation.  Which meant that we upheld standards listed here: http://familyfriendlysites.com/ffStatipPages.asp?stindex=2  As the site grew, you can see that it would become very difficult to uphold those standards. So, while we no longer list as a Family Friendly website, we do still try and keep things close to that.  People have often posted about their kids reading over their shoulders or looking at the screen while nursing.  Swearing has been dealt with in the manner I stated above for some time now, pretty much since I began as a mod. 

In out Terms of Service, there is this:

Quote:
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

So, obscene and vulgar pretty much covers swearing. :)  We are not playing an elaborate game of "gotcha" and waiting for people to guess and mess up so we can point and laugh.  To detail every single thing that might garner an edit request would result in a document that would be longer than Les Miserables.  So, again, occasional swearing is fine, excessive swearing or the use of the f word will get you an edit request.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page