Multigenerational living thread? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If you live with aging parent(s), would a forum on the topic be helpful?
Yes, I live (or have lived or will live) with aging parent(s) and would like to see a forum on the topic of multigenerational living. 2 100.00%
Yes, I live (or have lived or will live) with aging parent(s), but I don't think a special forum for the topic would interest me. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 3 Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In this economy, what used to be the phenomena of the "boomerang generation" (adult children moving back in with their parents) has now shifted to a "reverse boomerang generation" (parents moving in with their adult children).

My mother just moved in with me and I am 8 months pregnant with my first child (and single)... and she is driving me CRAZY already, and I am hoping for some support and/or relief on how to handle things like: managing parenting differences when she seems to think the way she did it worked just fine... how to handle my mother still trying to parent me... how to deal with "subversive" grandma tactics on a daily basis, etc...

I can't possibly be the only mama here who has an aging parent living with them and who has to deal with the unique challenges of raising little ones with a parent at home, especially given that the average age of first time mamas has also increased significantly over the years... I am beginning to see a real need for a forum that addresses the issues of living with parents while managing a family of our own.

Is there such a thing here? Or can we start one of those? orngbiggrin.gif I'd be happy to help get it going...

Moo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Mommel,

Congratulations on your upcoming birth! I agree with you that the the number of people raising kids and caring for/cohabitating with parents must be on the rise. And as someone in that position, I have experienced the sense of isolation that comes with it. Unlike with any other issue, I have not yet found really useful books or other resources for running a successful intergenerational household. So if mothering hosted such a resource, it would be leading the way in "natural family living" on a whole new level. Also, it would help me out so much to be part of an online community that understands and can support the issues families like ours face.

I hope over time others will find this thread and support your idea!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#3 of 3 Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your comment!! I also posted a similar thread in the "Finding Your Tribe" section, so I hope we reach more people that way too... 

I did find a book the other day on Amazon that addresses this topic. I downloaded it to my Kindle and so far, while it deals with the decision of whether or not to move a parent in (for us it's too late for that!), the remainder of the book promises to give tips and suggestions for helping to make the transition, and to make the relationships in general, better for everyone. It's called: When Your Parent Moves In: Every Adult Child's Guide to Living With an Aging Parent. It has helped so far... but I've only gotten as far as the second chapter. :)

Moo.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page