Social Groups are here! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we would like to transition the "Military Moms" FYT into a social Group, we are thinking the name should be "Military Life" for now  I will be one of the Leaders, Thanks

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Responsibilities of a Group Leader

• Receive and approve or deny group membership requests
  • Appoint a group leader to assist with group management or to temporarily assign responsibilities when you are away and unable to oversee the group
  • Require members to uphold the MDC User Agreement and any group guidelines you may have in place for your group

Any questions or concerns?

Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 AM

i am concerned about a lot of groups being made as closed groups and requiring an approval when it makes it harder for folks to feel like they can be a part. DDC are so often the first thing people use on MDC, how many less would do it if they had to ask and wait for someone to ok them?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Since the Social Groups would be closed to members only, would they still be available to the public for viewing? I know Id love to have some social groups made up of ladies who share opinions that arent open to the public, but as far as DDCs go, a lot of people find MDC by google searching terms that would be in a DDC.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 09-03-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Social Groups are open for public reading so they will come up in the search engine results. 

Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Just an update - we are awaiting a technical adjustment for Social Groups creation. That should come about sometime today tomorrow. :)

Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the update.  Will we by chance see the May 2012 DDC up soon?  We are still just a thread on the April DDC.

Me + B + my 3 + his 3 = family of 8

Make it 9: DS born 5/7/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I think it's neat, and it gives a chance for members to be in control a bit more.  I mean, haven't we asked if we can start a new sub-forum or change things around a bit? 

I didn't see this specified in the rules, but are there any groups that won't be allowed (besides hate groups, etc.)?  Like, can we have a c-section group, even though there will never be a specific c-section sub-forum here?  Of course, I assume members of said group would still adhere to mothering's beliefs and not be advocating for elective cesareans for all, or anything extreme such as that.

Sorry - I missed your question. redface.gif

Yes, a c-section group as you describe would be fine. :)

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

how is it decided if the group is open to everyone or on a approval basis?

i can understand how a few groups need to circle the wagons, the healing ones that do some things like that now, but in general do we really want folks having to ask permission to be in all the groups, i would feel really bad about the attitude that seems to go with that.

Since we can remove folks from groups that show troll like behavior it seems like the default is that anyone interested should be able to join with the least amount of hassle. if they have to wait for someone to ok them, that helpful comment might never get posted and it will be a us and them place within the "social group" area.

That decision is up to the group leaders. They can start the group as Open or Closed - closed meaning membership approval required. 

Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

The May 2012 DDC would like a group. I can be the leader.

I sent you a PM. Get back to me with your co-leader's username and I'll get you set up. 

Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensven42 View Post

I can be the leader for the ND group. We currently have a thread called the giant ND thread which was kind of our way to make our own group in the thread system anyway.

Here is the thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/676622/the-hopefully-giant-colossal-north-dakota-thread

So, we could just be called the ND group or something simple like that.

I sent you an email about group setup and your co-leader. 

Quote:

we would like to transition the "Military Moms" FYT into a social Group, we are thinking the name should be "Military Life" for now  I will be one of the Leaders, Thanks

I sent you an email about group setup and your co-leader. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Can we have an ETA on when social groups will be initiated?  I don't know about the other May 2012 due ladies, but I'm getting a little impatient.  It would help to know how long we'll be a thread in the April forum. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastalily View Post

Thanks for the update.  Will we by chance see the May 2012 DDC up soon?  We are still just a thread on the April DDC.

I am awaiting a reply from sosurreal09 regarding group leadership and setup.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
~pi

The October 2011 DDC would like to have a social group, please.

Leaders: StephandOwen, Amy May and capretta.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

The October 2011 DDC would like to have a social group, please.

Leaders: StephandOwen, Amy May and capretta.

Do you want the group Open or Closed?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Do you want the group Open or Closed?

Please make it closed.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM

am i the only one that is really worried and i might go so far as to say botherd by normal groups like DDCs being made into closed groups?  what is the reasoning behind it, are you gals going to base membership on something? its not like you are going to make them show a pregnancy test or get someone to vouch for them, so what is the reason?

this is so often the very first place on MDC that folks experience, i think it sets a strange tone

Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I really don't like the idea of DDCs being restricted/closed membership. That just seems like it will stratify and separate people instead of joining them together.

Also, how will people find these new groups? The May 2012 DDC is bursting at the seams, and will only grow as the month goes on...

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, dealing with recurrent miscarriage.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Yes, how will we find these groups?  How will I know when may 2012 is up?  I am confused, but maybe that's just me lol :)

ME: 29 DH: 27 stillheart.gif Married for 3 years now.  Got my pos.gif August 31, 2011!  joy.gif Woohoo!!!

stork-boy.gif May 12, 2012 - Baby Deacon joined our family

Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:

am i the only one that is really worried and i might go so far as to say botherd by normal groups like DDCs being made into closed groups?  what is the reasoning behind it, are you gals going to base membership on something? its not like you are going to make them show a pregnancy test or get someone to vouch for them, so what is the reason?

this is so often the very first place on MDC that folks experience, i think it sets a strange tone

I can't speak for everyone, but here's how I feel about it: I am pretty much willing to let anyone into the DDC social group who wants to be there. In our case, we are due next month, so it's unlikely that we would get a lot of new due-in-Oct mamas. While there is somewhat of a tradition of DDCCing (I've done it myself), the primary purpose of the DDC is to chat with the other women who are at roughly the same stage of pregnancy and will have babes of about the same age. I figure by making the group closed, but approving everyone, we put up just enough of a speed bump to maybe keep spammers and critics out.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Making upcoming DDC social groups private or "closed" seems odd to me, to be honest.  Unless there is also going to be a public sub-forum (but if I'm understanding correctly, those will no longer exist).  I mean, it sounds like the first person to say, "hey, I want a September 2012 DDC set up and I'll lead it" gets to decide if it's open or closed.  Can someone else then not create another September DDC and have it open for public view? 

I think it's doing MDC a disservice as many new members are here b/c of DDC's, and many more, I'm sure, are lurkers who don't register (and, hey, that's still pageviews, right?) who find comfort in reading threads of others due around the same time as they are.  Making them have to ask to join seems silly.  It also means members aren't going to be as likely to read the DDC posts in the month ahead or behind them unless they ask for permission to join those DDC's  I guess I don't get it.  I can kinda understand old DDC's from a year ago wanting a closed group, b/c their pregnancies are over and they've probably gotten to know each other... but it doesn't really make any sense for upcoming DDC's to have the option to be private...and that decision being left up to whoever decides they want to lead the group.  JMO.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM

if i understand it correctly, being closed does not mean being private, all post will always be visible to anyone wanting to read and will show up in New Posts (please correct me if i'm wrong on this) So being a closed group will not get you privacy and i think that is a good thing, MDC is about sharing and learning from others imho

what a closed group will mean is that folks have to be approved before joining and all group have to be joined before they can get posted in.

i think MDC is dong a pretty good job of clearing out spam and trolls, it would be a shame if we feel we have to build roadblocks for so many folks wanting to be a part of out community, to deal with the few that are not welcome. let's just all work to flag and remove those that are destructive and keep the gates as open as possible for the others.

I for one follow a handful of folks i know that ended up in different DDCs than me and it is my joy and bliss to finally get to congratulate them when they birth, that is just one of the many reasons for those that are not "IN" a DDC to be posting in one.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Making upcoming DDC social groups private or "closed" seems odd to me, to be honest.

Ok, honestly, now that I think about it, I agree with this.

And, Adorkable, I am sympathetic to what you are saying too. I guess I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone whose DDC is reaching full-term. We're really thinking more about how to stay in touch after our babies come. So our group is probably more analogous to the post-DDC "life with a babe" threads, which I imagine are a lot less interesting to the general population.

shrug.gif I don't actually care that much about it one way or another, but you asked for the reasoning behind making the group closed, and that was my reasoning.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:

if i understand it correctly, being closed does not mean being private, all post will always be visible to anyone wanting to read and will show up in New Posts (please correct me if i'm wrong on this) So being a closed group will not get you privacy and i think that is a good thing, MDC is about sharing and learning from others imho

what a closed group will mean is that folks have to be approved before joining and all group have to be joined before they can get posted in.

i think MDC is dong a pretty good job of clearing out spam and trolls, it would be a shame if we feel we have to build roadblocks for so many folks wanting to be a part of out community, to deal with the few that are not welcome. let's just all work to flag and remove those that are destructive and keep the gates as open as possible for the others.

I for one follow a handful of folks i know that ended up in different DDCs than me and it is my joy and bliss to finally get to congratulate them when they birth, that is just one of the many reasons for those that are not "IN" a DDC to be posting in one.

ah, okay.  I see what you are saying.  So, they won't be private and unreadable, just that the ability to post will be disabled for anyone who is not a member.  I kinda don't see the point of it, though.  Everything posted will essentially be public, so why even make members request to join, then?  There won't be any security or comfort knowing that only those due that month can read everything you share. 

I like that we will have the ability to form new groups that are pretty much the same thing as starting a new sub-forum or even a tribe with the ability to post topics within that group instead of having one huge long thread... but I guess the closed thing, especially with DDC's, seems odd since it's not even privatizing them.  And if leaders are going to accept anyone who requests to join then it seems like a bit of red tape for nothing.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:

ah, okay.  I see what you are saying.  So, they won't be private and unreadable, just that the ability to post will be disabled for anyone who is not a member.  I kinda don't see the point of it, though.  Everything posted will essentially be public, so why even make members request to join, then?  There won't be any security or comfort knowing that only those due that month can read everything you share. 

I like that we will have the ability to form new groups that are pretty much the same thing as starting a new sub-forum or even a tribe with the ability to post topics within that group instead of having one huge long thread... but I guess the closed thing, especially with DDC's, seems odd since it's not even privatizing them.  And if leaders are going to accept anyone who requests to join then it seems like a bit of red tape for nothing.

Personally, the spam that has gotten posted in our DDC in the last few months was really getting to me. I come to my DDC to talk to other women who are due at the same time as me, not to hear random opinions that are trying to sell me something. If I wanted that then I would have posted in the "I'm Pregnant" area. By making the social group "closed" it will, hopefully, cut down on the spam posts.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 PM

How do we find the groups? We have created a May 2012 DDC, but can't navigate to it from the community page....we have to go a back door route. When will this be fixed?

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

www.mothering.com/community/groups

We should have a navbar button for Groups with the next release of the platform upgrade (mid-late September).

Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 PM

You can open the one for "Military Family Life" myself and MaerynPearl will be group leaders to start it out.  we will keep the FYT onerunning untill the Groups has a way for folks to find it at the next upgrade.

our group will of course be open

Old 09-10-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Military Family Life is open and I sent you both an invitation. thumb.gif

Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 AM

thanks, got a bunch of it set up, sent in a few requests for things to be made sticky when and if you darling ladies get around to that.

am assuming once we are switched into  group leaders we will see more options

Old 09-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

www.mothering.com/community/groups

We should have a navbar button for Groups with the next release of the platform upgrade (mid-late September).

Will this make it so ppl can find the group via Tapatalk on an iphone?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Adorkable, you and MaerynPearl are set to group leaders now. 

Quote:
Will this make it so ppl can find the group via Tapatalk on an iphone?

I certainly hope so. :)

User Tag List