Social Groups are here! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#61 of 208 Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

there seems to be a coding error, when i go to add a description, it just kicks me back to the main Social Groups page, just a heads up

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#62 of 208 Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM

Today was the first time that I had a good piece of advice to offer someone on a DDC, but I couldnt comment because its closed.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#63 of 208 Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM

greensad.gif Very bad idea. I really don't like this. It sounds like trying to become "exclusive". Really more like "exclusionary".

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#64 of 208 Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

how is it decided if the group is open to everyone or on a approval basis?

i can understand how a few groups need to circle the wagons, the healing ones that do some things like that now, but in general do we really want folks having to ask permission to be in all the groups, i would feel really bad about the attitude that seems to go with that.

Since we can remove folks from groups that show troll like behavior it seems like the default is that anyone interested should be able to join with the least amount of hassle. if they have to wait for someone to ok them, that helpful comment might never get posted and it will be a us and them place within the "social group" area.

yeahthat.gif I totally agree with this!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#65 of 208 Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Quote:

there seems to be a coding error, when i go to add a description, it just kicks me back to the main Social Groups page, just a heads up

Yes, we're aware of the error. It should be addressed with the next release of platform bug resolutions, which will be sometime mid Sep.

#66 of 208 Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 PM

oops.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#67 of 208 Old 09-19-2011, 01:55 PM

trying to figure out how to remove photos and to promote members to co-leader status (it says below that i should be able to do both).

also, can threads in social groups be stickied?  if so, who do i ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Group Leaders

Group Leaders are the members in charge; the member who creates a Group is the first Lead, but that person may appoint additional Group Leaders.

What can a Group Leader do?
  •    Receive join requests (for membership-by-approval groups) and approve/deny them.
  •    Edit the Group description and change the thumbnail image.
  •    Ban a member, making it impossible for that member to re-join.
  •    Remove images from the shared gallery.
  •    Send a PM to all members at once.
  •    Promote other members to Group Leader (there can be more than one leader in the same Group).
  •    Demote him/herself to a regular Group member.

What can't a Group Leader do?
  •    Change the name of the Group 
  •    Demote another Leader back to a regular member (this must be done by the member or an MDC Administrator).
  •    Act as a moderator within the Group forum (e.g., delete/edit others' posts and threads, etc.).

Leaders can't demote each other, but they may demote themselves.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#68 of 208 Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I'm pretty sure I set you to Group leader. Do you see yourself listed as a leader? 

The photo edit feature has a bug which shoujld be fixed within the next week. If it isn't working by then please let me know and I'll report it again.

#69 of 208 Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM

yes, it has me listed as group leader, but i'd like to make some co-leader. 

i will try to remove photos again next week.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#70 of 208 Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

When on your group's page look to the right for the group members box. Click View All. 

Next to each member's name there is a small drop down triangle icon. If you hover your mouse over that you should get a menu of options. For Group Leader you should see "Ban fro group" and "Promote to group lead." Does that show for you? If so, simply click "Promote to group leader" for the person you wish to promote.

For the photo (are you talking about the photo for the group page?) you should see Replace Image just beneath the image. Click that to edit.

A Sticky is possible. Send me the info you want stickied and I will place it for you. We hope to eventually have stickies enabled for group leader control but for now it is something we must do for you.

#71 of 208 Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Can we get an announcement at the top of I'm Pregnant telling people where to find the new DDCs? We've had a number of reports that people had trouble finding us (May 2012) since we're not with the others, and now that we're edging into June 2012 territory they will likely have the same issue.

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, miscarriages in July and November 2013.
Cautiously expecting March 2015
#72 of 208 Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

When on your group's page look to the right for the group members box. Click View All. 

Next to each member's name there is a small drop down triangle icon. If you hover your mouse over that you should get a menu of options. For Group Leader you should see "Ban fro group" and "Promote to group lead." Does that show for you? If so, simply click "Promote to group leader" for the person you wish to promote.

For the photo (are you talking about the photo for the group page?) you should see Replace Image just beneath the image. Click that to edit.

A Sticky is possible. Send me the info you want stickied and I will place it for you. We hope to eventually have stickies enabled for group leader control but for now it is something we must do for you.

thanks cynthia, was able to promote a member to group leader.

as for the photo, i know how to replace the group page photo.  i was hoping to delete some of the photos i uploaded, but can't figure out how.

great on the future stickying powers.  will let you know if/when i need anything stickied in the meantime. 

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#73 of 208 Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM84 View Post

Can we get an announcement at the top of I'm Pregnant telling people where to find the new DDCs? We've had a number of reports that people had trouble finding us (May 2012) since we're not with the others, and now that we're edging into June 2012 territory they will likely have the same issue.

Sure. I'll place it now. :)

#74 of 208 Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM

Is there any update about whether or not the bug has been fixed? Id like to add a description if it has.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#75 of 208 Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Okay, I've searched the site top to bottom and I'm not seeing a link to the "groups" section. Maybe I'm overlooking it, but it makes it hard to find groups w/o an obvious link to the list.

I did find it in a round about way cause someone posted a link to the May 2012 DDC, but when I went to the groups list there was like 6.... Is that all the groups there are right now?  

hammer.gif Homeschooling the animal lover DD1 (8/06), chasing the free spirit DD2 (12/07), and tracking the ninja DD3 (5/09), angel1.gif 10/9, angel1.gif 9/11, angel1.gif 11/11 with the poor estrogen immersed DH (10/03) dizzy.gif

5****faint.gif****15****20***30***40

#76 of 208 Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM

in the long run when there are a lot of groups will they be grouped in to categories? (DDC, Local Regions, Interests)? and hopefully the DDC will get put into chronological order?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#77 of 208 Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibris View Post

Okay, I've searched the site top to bottom and I'm not seeing a link to the "groups" section. Maybe I'm overlooking it, but it makes it hard to find groups w/o an obvious link to the list.

I did find it in a round about way cause someone posted a link to the May 2012 DDC, but when I went to the groups list there was like 6.... Is that all the groups there are right now?  

i've been using this (http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/) in the meantime.

there are 10 groups.  i'm guessing it'll take a while to catch on (especially since they're so hard to find).  winky.gif

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#78 of 208 Old 09-27-2011, 05:26 PM

thanks!

Okay, I guess I volunteer to be in charge of the June 2012 DDC.

hammer.gif Homeschooling the animal lover DD1 (8/06), chasing the free spirit DD2 (12/07), and tracking the ninja DD3 (5/09), angel1.gif 10/9, angel1.gif 9/11, angel1.gif 11/11 with the poor estrogen immersed DH (10/03) dizzy.gif

5****faint.gif****15****20***30***40

#79 of 208 Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm afraid our December DDC will go away before my babe is born.  greensad.gif  I haven't seen anyone else post interest in this group, but I'd love to have somewhere on MDC for us to continue to post past December.  What's the next step?  Choosing a group leader?

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#80 of 208 Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Do you want to co with me? I was just worrying about this today. And besides, if I were going to choose someone to co with me, you were my first thought. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

I'm afraid our December DDC will go away before my babe is born.  greensad.gif  I haven't seen anyone else post interest in this group, but I'd love to have somewhere on MDC for us to continue to post past December.  What's the next step?  Choosing a group leader?

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#81 of 208 Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLamb View Post

Do you want to co with me? I was just worrying about this today. And besides, if I were going to choose someone to co with me, you were my first thought. :) 

I love the idea of having a social group, as long as someone else (like you ladies!) can organize - I just know I don't have the time to devote...

#82 of 208 Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Is there any update about whether or not the bug has been fixed? Id like to add a description if it has.

Sorry I missed your question! You should be able to add a description now. smile.gif

#83 of 208 Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:

There are 12 now. The link is http://www.mothering.com/community/groups. We've asked our dev team to place a link in the nav bar but it may take awhile for that to come about.
Quote:

in the long run when there are a lot of groups will they be grouped in to categories? (DDC, Local Regions, Interests)? and hopefully the DDC will get put into chronological order?

I put that in as a request for development of the Groups section.
Quote:

thanks!

Okay, I guess I volunteer to be in charge of the June 2012 DDC.

The group is already opened. You can ask jenmn if you can join her as a co-leader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

You need two group leaders and you need to decide if you want an open group or a closed one.

#84 of 208 Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Dec. DDC ladies, I would love to see a social group for us.

I hope you two are able to start it up.

I will read (often) and post (occasionally ;)).

Thanks!

#85 of 208 Old 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM

BennyPai and I would like to host the group for the Dec 2011 DDC. We want to do a closed group. Not sure of the name yet...

BennyPai likes this.

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#86 of 208 Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Great progress, AveryLamb! 

I officially request to be a co-leader for our Dec. DDC's social group.

The other DDCs are named in the month, year, DDC format.  "December 2011 DDC" seems straightforward and probably will make us easy to find.  What does everyone else think?

Because we're so close to December, I agree with AveryLamb's suggestion to have a closed group aimed mostly at helping us stay in touch once our babes are born. 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#87 of 208 Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 AM

That name works for me!

#88 of 208 Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

December 2011 DDC is open! :)

#89 of 208 Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Myself and dfunk98 would like to be leaders of the September 2011 due date group.  We'll have it open for now with the possibility of having it closed later if possible.  Thanks.

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

#90 of 208 Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page