c-birth/c-section/surgical birth forum request - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

I am actually an old timer but have a new user name.... I am on the fence. I have read the whole thread and I see too much that is not what mothering to me stands for and is here for.

Storm Bride- I hear you. I hear you. I hear you.

I have fears what a forum like this could turn into. 

Thanks for posting. Can you articulate your fears for us, and let us know what you see here that is not what mothering stands for?

This thread has been overwhelmingly supportive of a c-section forum and has provided many arguments for why one is necessary. But I am concerned that we are not hearing enough from "the other side." Storm Bride has expressed concern that this will turn into a place where only "positive" c-section stories are allowed. Is that your concern too? Or is there more to it?

I'm obviously in support of a c-section forum, but I sincerely want there to be a robust conversation about pros & cons of creating a forum. If you feel comfortable sharing more of your views, I for one would be happy to hear from you.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#92 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 AM

I also am really interested in hearing from those who are opposed to this.

I have heard a few people say it is not what mothering stands for, and I would really like to what that means.

#93 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmulberry View Post

I also am really interested in hearing from those who are opposed to this.

I have heard a few people say it is not what mothering stands for, and I would really like to what that means.

Me too. If people truly believe that a c/s forum is inappropriate because it isn't what Mothering stands for does that mean that those people also believe that those of us who have given birth by c/s also do not belong?
Mamja and Wildwomyn like this.
#94 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM

I am going to think about this for awhile and articulate it as I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND anyone.

My gut says oh no. I can tell you that right now.

My brain has to process it and see what it comes up with ok?

I am by NO MEANS an expert on c-sections. I will tell you right now I have not had one.  SO coming from that frame of reference I don't even know if I should open my big fat mouth (lol)

My opinions would be about preservation.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#95 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM

NO- I can say right now- YOU BELONG!!!

YOU DEFINETLY BELONG!!!

It comes to mind my friend who was planning a homebirth- who had real medical reasons why she needed a c-section. It was heartbreaking for her.... she is a very AP NFL mom and I wish we were still in touch because I would love to get her opinion now.

I do not homeschool, I smoke, I do not eat all organics, I am far from GD( tho man I wish I could figure that one out) , but I respect that the mothers on here do believe in these things and I believe in them to but in real life I am far from achieving the ideal.

I do not vaccinate, I cd( 6 months tho so not a pro), I homebirthed my second baby, I co-slept, I extended breastfed- tho now wish I had not and say that openly on this forum tho I know that may rub some mothers the wrong way.

I do not want it to turn into what above posters have said- as long as the babies come into the world alive who care how they get here that sounds like mainstream talk to me.... I come to mothering to learn from non mainstream mothers who are working to achieve the ideal and stand against the norm.

I am not saying the above statement is not true but IRL any pg mother I talk to by the 3 rd month is told her baby is so big and she may need an induction. WHAT? Prepping for the induction- medically necessary- of course.

Inductions rises c-sect rate, of course....

There are social norms now in birth that need to be changed that would lessen the c-sect rate dramatically.

I believe that whole heartedly. And DR's push mom's to do invasive things that lessen their ability to birth vaginally- every single day.

I know that c-section is neccesary sometimes. But not as often as it is prescribed.

That is an answer without much time to process from the gut. I hope I have not offended. I am passionate about 2 things- bf and birth

#96 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Do we belong only if we were destroyed by our c-sections? Is there anything outside of sharing trauma or prostrating ourselves in front of some vague NCB authority while we cry and promise to do better next time that we are allowed to express? And how is the culture of uneeded c-sections going to change without the voices of women who had needed ones and can say "This is a reason to have a c-section, that is not" ? What about women new to these concepts who might be interested in AP or NFL but are told in a million different ways that they have to repudiate the birth of their child if they want to be part of that world?

bftoddler.gif

#97 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Great point Wildwomyn. I don't think it has to do with whether it destroyed you or not at all. I think it is totally fine if you were fine with it. I don't think it is about that.

For me it would be more about perpetuating the lies dr's tell women.  I don't want to see that on here.

#98 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 08:24 AM

And we would, of course, be doing that, because only extremely stupid and gullible women would have c-sections and not feel bad about it? Or feel bad about it, but believe that it was medically necessary anyway?

I think that I mostly got randomly lucky in terms of not feeling too terribly bad about having a c-section, but at least part of it was that I knew what it was common to claim necessitates a c-section but really doesn't, and what really is a real medical reason. I sought out a practice that I felt was good with that issue. So I was at least able to be sure of that much.

There is no place in the dicussion as it currently exists for this viewpoint.

bftoddler.gif

#99 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:

NO- I can say right now- YOU BELONG!!!

YOU DEFINETLY BELONG!!!

It comes to mind my friend who was planning a homebirth- who had real medical reasons why she needed a c-section. It was heartbreaking for her.... she is a very AP NFL mom and I wish we were still in touch because I would love to get her opinion now.

I do not homeschool, I smoke, I do not eat all organics, I am far from GD( tho man I wish I could figure that one out) , but I respect that the mothers on here do believe in these things and I believe in them to but in real life I am far from achieving the ideal.

I do not vaccinate, I cd( 6 months tho so not a pro), I homebirthed my second baby, I co-slept, I extended breastfed- tho now wish I had not and say that openly on this forum tho I know that may rub some mothers the wrong way.

I do not want it to turn into what above posters have said- as long as the babies come into the world alive who care how they get here that sounds like mainstream talk to me.... I come to mothering to learn from non mainstream mothers who are working to achieve the ideal and stand against the norm.

I am not saying the above statement is not true but IRL any pg mother I talk to by the 3 rd month is told her baby is so big and she may need an induction. WHAT? Prepping for the induction- medically necessary- of course.

Inductions rises c-sect rate, of course....

There are social norms now in birth that need to be changed that would lessen the c-sect rate dramatically.

I believe that whole heartedly. And DR's push mom's to do invasive things that lessen their ability to birth vaginally- every single day.

I know that c-section is neccesary sometimes. But not as often as it is prescribed.

That is an answer without much time to process from the gut. I hope I have not offended. I am passionate about 2 things- bf and birth

To the bolded: this may have been true at one point, and it may be true in small pockets still, but I for one do not know one single mother who has gone through this. I have a number of friends who have had c-sections. Except for one, they were all surprises -- the first one, anyway. I don't know anybody who was told at 3 months their baby was too big. Just my experience, and obviously YMMV, but since we are talking anecdotal experiences here, I'll throw mine in the ring as well. 

I don't think the dichotomy that people are imagining really exists in large numbers, especially on this board. It  is not black and white, not by a long shot. It's not either "you gave birth vaginally and so you are a better woman and your kids will be stronger and smarter and more loved" OR "you had a c-section, therefore you are shallow and vain and not willing to go the extra mile for your child. You probably had a tummy tuck too." Both of those statements are equally ridiculous. The VAST majority of us fall in the middle.

FWIW, I just had my first prenatal appt for my current pregnancy. I am 41 years old. I had an emergency c-section last time. I am only 6 1/2 weeks preggers at this point. All that taken into consideration, and the doctor actually brought up the topic of a VBAC right out of the gate, and she was definitely pro. I was also told during my last pregnancy that they do not allow (in my province) elective first-time caesareans (I didn''t ask for one, it was just general info). The idea that the medical establishment is pushing c-sections so they can get to their tee times is outdated, in my opinion. Not to say it doesn't exist, but I don't think it's a widespread epidemic. And as far as being too posh to push, really? On MDC? 

There are so many things that are not shared with you before a c-section that would be really great to know about. Some of those things do include grief for the loss of a particular type of birth, but on a more practical and less emotionally-charged level, there are just many things that women could benefit from knowing about from other women who have BTDT. I think a forum could have some real value in that way, as long as it doesn't become another battlefield on which to the fight the mommy wars.

Kelly1101 likes this.
#100 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#101 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Emilie2,

Do you think it is possible to modify the typical c section experience to bring it more closely in line with the values that Mothering upholds? I do, I think it would be valuable to have a place where women who know they are going to have a c section can discuss steps to take to help the breastfeeding relationship develop while recovering, or other similar tips while planning a c section.

There was a woman in one of the DDC I frequented, who knew she was having a section, because of complete previa. She did not have another option. She was distraught at the loss of her natural birth and trying the explore options to help her take control of the birth and have it go as well as possible. I think she really would have benefited from a c section forum here. She still believed in the Mothering natural living philosophy, and I think we should help her participate as best she could. She was really having a hard time finding advice, because discussion of sections are so polarized.

swede likes this.
#102 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 AM

I have never personally heard anyone spout the "c-sections are easier!" line except young women who do not have a planned pregnancy in their future for at least a decade, if at all. Of those who decide to become mothers, most will probably see it differently when it's a real situation and they actually look into it in a detailed fashion.

And, anecdotally about big babies, a late ultrasound showed that my DS was at least 9 pounds, possibly more. The midwife examining me that day said "Because-it-seems-that-you-may-be-having-a-very-large-baby-we-are-required-to-ask-if-you-are-interested-in-having-a-c-section," just like that, like she was spitting it out by forced rote. I wish I had asked why they had to ask, since I tell this story all the time, but my best guess is that it related to a recent merger with a more mainstream practice that no one seemed happy about. But I when I said "No, to the best of my understanding there is no reason you have to have a c-section just because the baby is big," she nodded happily and was like "Yes, ok, great!" If I ever get around to asking why they asked me that, I'll ask what they would have said if I had said "Should I?" but I think the response probably would have been along the line of "We don't really think it's necessary, but some people do prefer it," and then probably talking up the benefits of a vaginal birth.

It does not help to wildly exaggerate a real problem, you (general "you") sound misinformed at best, and at worst like a liar.

bftoddler.gif

#103 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:

I just wanted to address this because I had the completely opposite experience. I think we all need to be careful about making blanket statements. Yes, there are prevalent courses of treatment in mainstream medicine, but not ALL doctors are evil, C-section pushing monsters who don't listen to the wishes and needs of mothers. 

When I gave birth to my son in September, I had a "traditional" OB and OR surgeon actively trying to prevent a C-section in my case, not push it. My birth story explains it in detail, but the short version is - we lost the baby's heart rate entirely and couldn't get it back even after adjusting the monitor and trying to shift position. I was taken to the OR for a possible emergency C-section. Every step of the process was explained to me. And they didn't just stick a knife to me - we got the heartbeat back, I was observed until both of our vital signs were stable and I was able to go on to deliver my son vaginally after twenty hours of labor. 

ETA - Oh, and my son was tagged as a "big baby" too - he was born at 8 pounds 3 ounces. No one mentioned/offered/pushed a c-section due to his size once during my pregnancy. I, and my care providers, all assumed and planned for a vaginal birth from the get-go. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#104 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM

I, too, am just not seeing evidence of evil doctors pushing c-sections on hapless women. I agree that the c-section rate has risen and is too high, but this may be a complex problem that we don't completely understand, such as increase in diagnosis of certain pregnancy complications, etc. I'm not saying I have the answer, but I don't think there is one right answer.

When my son was breech, my midwife sent me packing to her back-up OB. The OB did EVERYTHING IN HER POWER to turn my baby. She sent me to her chiropractor and acupuncturist. She did an external version at the hospital...twice! And after I went into labor and was in the OR getting my spinal, she came in with the ultrasound machine to double check that the baby hadn't turned.

She allowed my midwife to be in the OR along with DH. She let DH announce the sex and cut the cord, and the nurses had me breastfeeding within minutes after my son's birth. Are there women having c-sections who even know that this is an option?

My niece just had a baby yesterday. A more mainstream young women there could not be. Yet her big city big hospital doctor let her go to almost 42 weeks, and she went into labor naturally. At the hospital she labored for over 50 hours, which really surprised me. She told me that never once did anyone say anything about a c-section. This was a HUGE baby she pushed out, and she ended up with a massive tear that required minor surgery. However, she said it was a great birth. I can assure you that this was not someone advocating for herself and refusing medical intervention.

I think there are a lot of stories around here about the big bad boogeymen at the hospital. I sobbed with terror on my way to the hospital for my c-section, and wish I had known ahead of time that it would be such a supportive, positive experience.

I don't see any reason why the positive experiences can't be shared alongside the traumatic stories. I don't think it detracts from anyone else's experience. I don't think it will send women running to have c-sections. Nor do I think that having a c-section will "turn" a woman mainstream and reduce her commitment to the principles of AP.

greenmulberry and EuroMama like this.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#105 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Mods, anything yet?  This is either the longest meeting ever or someone is hoping this thread will die and people will shut up.

hildare likes this.

obstruct livery vehicles

#106 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM

I have been looking through the MDC site to see if anywhere there is a statement of purpose or something that would clarify "where MDC stands" on any issue. I remember when I joined in 2010, forums were accompanied by some introductory statements, so it was clear what was acceptable and what wasn't on MDC. With the new format and moderation, I'm not seeing that now. Am I just missing something? If anyone can find it, please post on this thread!

This is what I did find:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1323470/moderation-of-mdc-a-new-approach

This is a statement about the new approach to moderation on MDC. It does state:

We will identify and make known what the core values of Mothering are and we will work to protect those values in discussions. We will make room for people new to AP  - meeting moms where they are - but they must come to our community with a desire to examine, discuss, and learn, and not defend or validate their beliefs and practices that are contrary to our core values

That does seem very reasonable & appropriate to me. What I'm not finding is the statement and identifies & makes know those core values. Without such a statement, we're all left up to our own ideas of what those values are, and that seems to be the crux of the problem. For example, to me a c-section forum is entirely compatible with MDC values, but I clearly don't have the same sense of those values as some others.

Emilie2, I really appreciate you posting & clarifying your views.

One idea that you brought up is the concept that "social norms" need to change in order to provide a better climate for women giving birth & a reduction in the c-section rate. I'm paraphrasing; I hope I got that right. I believe that examining social norms & advocating for change is an important role for MDC.

Another thought that occurs to me is that we may not all have the same idea of what those social norms are. In my community, aiming for natural birth is the "norm" not only among the "crunchy" community, but at the hospital where I birthed. I realize that my community is not necessarily typical (I'm in a progressive college town) and that there are a lot of places where women don't have great options and a lot of barbaric things take place. But when we talk about "social norms" we are not necessarily talking about the same thing. We need a way to acknowledge that.

One reason that I want this forum is that I want us to be able to talk about the social norms & the cultural/legal/political climate around c-section/birth in a more nuanced and detailed and probing way. It seems like we really need to unpack our assumptions and make plain our understanding of "social norms" because we don't all share the same experience. MDC could be a really great place to do that.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#107 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

Have admins actually said this, or is it assumed?  Just checking.  Thanks.

Cynthia said very early in this thread that a social group could be created. To me it follows that she was saying they did not want to create a forum, because if they did want to create a forum, they would say so instead of saying they'd create a social group. *shrug*.

As to the "MDC core values being undermined" thing, my general thought is that MDC is where I come to hang around moms who aren't going to be incredulous that I was planning/had a natural birth with no drugs, who weren't going to ask me when my induction was scheduled, and generally who weren't going to assume that I was going to do X or Y or Z thing that is common in the way birth is done today. So then if I did want to discuss people's opinions on any particular thing, people would be approaching it from a place of considering the options rather than just being like "Well, my doctor says I need it". A C-section forum with the same bent could be helpful to people, I think. On more "mainstream" boards the "oh, my doctor says I have to have a c-section because of X" probably won't get questioned, whereas here if X is something that may or may not actually necessitate a c-section, or there are alternate points of view on how it should be carried out, someone will say so and the ensuing discussion could be helpful to people.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#108 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

I, too, am just not seeing evidence of evil doctors pushing c-sections on hapless women. I agree that the c-section rate has risen and is too high, but this may be a complex problem that we don't completely understand, such as increase in diagnosis of certain pregnancy complications, etc.

While I really hope this topic does get a forum, im going to have to respectfully disagree with this statement. My sister is 20, weighs about 100 lbs, is "small", never given birth, dropped out of high school in 9th grade, and just informed me all about how she "has" to have a c section because her hips are "just too small" to deliver a baby. So, they are just going to go ahead and schedule it- never even giving her the chance to try to have a vaginal birth, because she is basically being told that it just wont work. She is uneducated about birth and isnt pushing for a vaginal birth. She is one of the 33% of women who "medically need a c section"? I think not.

I think part of the complex problem that we dont understand is the importance of tee time. Sometimes c sections are necessary, but sometimes a doctor knows that it is just easier and more timely on their end to schedule it than to deal with vaginal birth. An OB in a hospital near me recently delivered 15 babies in one day. 9 via csection, 3 vaginal deliveries that were scheduled inductions, and 2 deliveries that werent induce but "required" an episiotomy. Sure, not all doctors are like this, and Im sure not all of her days are like that, but it isnt typical for an OB to have more births without intervention than with interventions.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#109 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Those are great points.

And because of the very wide variation in how doctors & hospitals approach birth, it would be incredibly valuable to have a resource that tells women which care providers really go to bat for women to avoid a c-section, and which ones are like the hospital you describe above, just trying to "process" births by whatever means is efficient & convenient for them.

#110 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI Mama View Post

Those are great points.

And because of the very wide variation in how doctors & hospitals approach birth, it would be incredibly valuable to have a resource that tells women which care providers really go to bat for women to avoid a c-section, and which ones are like the hospital you describe above, just trying to "process" births by whatever means is efficient & convenient for them.

This is SUCH an important point CI Mama! An open discussion about all types of experiences would give women more information on which doctors and hospitals to avoid, what to do if you have to go to the hospital, how to advocate for yourself, and if you have to have a c-section, how to make it the best experience possible. After that, how to process and recover, regardless of whether or not it was traumatic or positive.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#111 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM

WHO states that the c-section rate should be around 15% or lower. Having a place for these moms to go might just help prevent some c-sections. It could also help the moms that DO need c-sections to have a better experience. There is nothing wrong with that. I do not want to see this as a social group. Social groups are hard to find, feel like a clique, and would not be inviting to new members. If we're going to keep pushing everything into social groups, why not just do away with forums at all? (sarcasm)

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#112 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

WHO states that the c-section rate should be around 15% or lower. Having a place for these moms to go might just help prevent some c-sections. It could also help the moms that DO need c-sections to have a better experience. There is nothing wrong with that. I do not want to see this as a social group. Social groups are hard to find, feel like a clique, and would not be inviting to new members. If we're going to keep pushing everything into social groups, why not just do away with forums at all? (sarcasm)

Actually, WHO withdrew their guideline regarding c-sections some time ago (I don't know exactly when).

Here is the WHO website with their guidelines for maternal & reproductive health: http://www.who.int/publications/guidelines/reproductive_health/en/index.html

They do address issues such as inductions & pre-eclampsia.

#113 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

This is SUCH an important point CI Mama! An open discussion about all types of experiences would give women more information on which doctors and hospitals to avoid, what to do if you have to go to the hospital, how to advocate for yourself, and if you have to have a c-section, how to make it the best experience possible. After that, how to process and recover, regardless of whether or not it was traumatic or positive.

YES. I have always wondered why there wasnt more of a "How to advocate for yourself if you go to the hospital" attitude/forum/ect here at MDC. Basically, the response to how to deal with a doctor is typically "Have a homebirth." which doesnt leave a lot of room for people who are exploring different birth options. In the early part of this pregnancy, I was hoping for a UC, but after further review, discussions with DH, and more research I decided I would rather go back to the hospital again. I know it is risky, but I also know my rights and know how to advocate for myself in a hospital setting. (thankfully, I had a great bradley last time smile.gif) I think that considering that the majority of women on MDC live in the united states, where one third of all women get a c section, we cant ignore that it is a pretty HIGH possibility that you are going to have one.

In fact, I think Ill start a poll to see how many people have had one here at MDC.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#114 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 AM

FWIW, we have asked for a c-section board for years, and were told no, that it doesn't line up with Mothering's ideals. We can have a tribe, dedicated threads, and now social groups to discuss cesareans.

This is why I'm not holding my breath that anything has changed; however, so much about Mothering has changed ( yk, no magazine is a huge one), so maybe they are actually strongly considering allowing one.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#115 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

FWIW, we have asked for a c-section board for years, and were told no, that it doesn't line up with Mothering's ideals. We can have a tribe, dedicated threads, and now social groups to discuss cesareans.
This is why I'm not holding my breath that anything has changed; however, so much about Mothering has changed ( yk, no magazine is a huge one), so maybe they are actually strongly considering allowing one.

Did Mothering explain what those ideals are and how a c-section board is incompatible with them?

I feel really dense here, but I just don't get it. I'm starting to think that I have a really skewed idea of what MDC is all about, because I just can't come up with a good reason not to have a c-section board.

#116 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#117 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

YES. I have always wondered why there wasnt more of a "How to advocate for yourself if you go to the hospital" attitude/forum/ect here at MDC. Basically, the response to how to deal with a doctor is typically "Have a homebirth." which doesnt leave a lot of room for people who are exploring different birth options.

That would be a wonderful thing to have, as well as just general information about why and when some interventions could be necessary. But instead it's mostly a crunch contest, where the point is not to do anything mainstream, rather than to do what actually makes sense. According to stuff I've read here, c-sections are never necessary - people pay some lip service to the idea that there are medically necessary ones, but somehow no specific one ever meets their personal guidelines. I've never shared my birth story here, and one of the reasons is that I have no interest in being told that after developing pre-e at 41 weeks, I should have just gone home, eaten eggs and thought positive, and that "fetal heart decel" is actually code for tee time.  My hospital (which I wouldn't necessarily reccomend uncategorically, but that's a longer story) does more VBACs than c-sections.

DoubleDouble likes this.

bftoddler.gif

#118 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM

I was misunderstood....

I do not think dr.s push c-sections.... I think they push interventions that make birthing vaginally difficult.

Like being in a bed hooked up to monitors,

not allowed to move,

not allowed to eat,

people you don't know around you

drugs

unknowledgeable staff

tests,

"big baby" is not used so much to scare women into c-section but to induce- which results in more c-sections

The fact that you are arguing this is strange to me.

I don't know anyone IRL that has given birth without an an induction except two cousins and one friend.

When I gave birth to my son I was accosted at the "child birth classes" for not agreeing to one. By the nursing staff !!! They could NOT understand why in the world I did not want to be induced.  EVERY woman of the TEN in the room was planning an induction for various reasons.

I did not know much and had not found mothering yet- but knew that was just WRONG.

#119 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Quote:

Cynthia said very early in this thread that a social group could be created. To me it follows that she was saying they did not want to create a forum, because if they did want to create a forum, they would say so instead of saying they'd create a social group. *shrug*.

As to the "MDC core values being undermined" thing, my general thought is that MDC is where I come to hang around moms who aren't going to be incredulous that I was planning/had a natural birth with no drugs, who weren't going to ask me when my induction was scheduled, and generally who weren't going to assume that I was going to do X or Y or Z thing that is common in the way birth is done today. So then if I did want to discuss people's opinions on any particular thing, people would be approaching it from a place of considering the options rather than just being like "Well, my doctor says I need it". A C-section forum with the same bent could be helpful to people, I think. On more "mainstream" boards the "oh, my doctor says I have to have a c-section because of X" probably won't get questioned, whereas here if X is something that may or may not actually necessitate a c-section, or there are alternate points of view on how it should be carried out, someone will say so and the ensuing discussion could be helpful to people.

just want to throw out there one more time - we have aa TELEVISION forum, for crying out loud.  Not directed at the poster I quoted, but at anyone who is worried about MDC's "core values" being undermined.  TV pretty much sucks.  But we have a whole forum devoted to dissecting all sorts of gross reality shows.  Ewww.  There are times when a c-section is necessary.  What if we could share info about how to make it as close to a vaginal birth as possible - I nursed my child on the operating table.  IT was awesome. 

#120 of 366 Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

This is so true... so much has changed.... and not all for the good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page