Hyland's Ad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but it's been two days now of this new Hyland's "Action Hero" ad that borders the entire forum.  I understand that advertising is essential to keep this great site going, but I would really love it if it could simply be contained on the side ad bar instead of like MDC's new wallpaper.  Would that be possible?  

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#2 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

That's a wallpaper ad - it is meant to surround the the site. You can narrow your window to pull the borders in so you don't see the ad. 

#3 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It IS quite overwhelming isn't it? Kind of seems like you are on the Hyland's website and  not the mothering one- I had to doublecheck my url  make sure I was in the right place. Sigh. Money talks, yet again.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#4 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM

I'm not a fan of the wallpaper advertising either. All the ads on this site is part of why I rarely come here anymore. Too bad, really. There was another parenting site that I used to visit multiple times per day. They started going nuts with ads, especially pop up ads. Now, even if there is something interesting on that site, I don't open the link for it because I don't want to be hit with a wall of ads. 

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#5 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I hate the wallpaper add. It's awful.

#6 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM

This border add is terrible.

I thought if you were a supporter you would get ad-free browsing??? Wouldn't this count?

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#7 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM

That ad is obnoxious and garish. UGH!

To have a single add splashed visibly in three places (banner, sidebar, and wallpaper) is a bit over the top. I mean, I know it's important to make money but maybe exercise a little restraint.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#8 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM

Hooray for ad-blockers!  I still see tons of "reviews" and small ads in the sidebars but thankfully not the huge superhero wallpaper.

#9 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 PM

Adblock plus has huge downsides in my browser though. I have to click on three different pages just to get to new posts. I have to say, MDC has been running super slow for me the past few days, pretty much since the hylands ad went up. How long is it going to be there? I feel like it is also lessening the amount of things listed in my subscriptions without me having to click "more" which just means I have to wait for it to load. Wasnt Obama supposed to get me real internet? Whatever happened to that "everyone in the country with access to dsl" idea he had?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 11 Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 AM

my issue is that it makes the site take forever to load!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#11 of 11 Old 11-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For those who are having issues, have you tried Firefox with Ad Block?  If you are having problems with Ad Block, you really should play around with the different subscriptions you can use.  Depending on my current location, I use Firefox and some subscriptions are utter crap because they block important parts of the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Adblock plus has huge downsides in my browser though. I have to click on three different pages just to get to new posts. I have to say, MDC has been running super slow for me the past few days, pretty much since the hylands ad went up. How long is it going to be there? I feel like it is also lessening the amount of things listed in my subscriptions without me having to click "more" which just means I have to wait for it to load. Wasnt Obama supposed to get me real internet? Whatever happened to that "everyone in the country with access to dsl" idea he had?

I'm guessing other things were of more importance, such as cleaning up the mess from the President before him. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page