Question about the Annual Mothering Cloth Diaper Photo Contest - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe it's just me, but after the issues in the past with the diaper fetish people stealing photos of babies in diapers a few years back, why would we do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/308318/diaper-fetish-threads

#3 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

I moved your thread here since the contest thread is not the best place for this discussion.

The concern you raise may be shared by others some but we don't require a baby be in the image. Everyone can make their own decision as to what they feel comfortable with. 

#4 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I see what you are saying, but new mothers who were not around when this took place probably aren't aware that there are those kinds of freaks out there and may not have chosen to put the photos up were they aware.  I saw how many people joined today, in order to post the photos.  How many fetishists also joined today to nab the photos?

I think that Mothering should put some type of info post up to make sure that people who weren't here seven years ago when this went down are cognisant of the potential to have their child end up on a fetish site.  There were many people who posted here and at other sites, including people I know IRL whose children ended up as fodder for perverts.

Please, let them know what happened.

#5 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM

I had no idea that type of thing even exists! I just posted a few pictures of my DD. It seems silly to say that people can decide for them selves. I for one had no idea such a thing even existed or that people can take pictures from the contest without asking. I didn't know I was making a decision. That's not right, people should be told.

I came over here to ask why so many of the contest participants were brand new members? At first I was thinking maybe people were using an alias mdc account to participate without showing pics of themselves or their kids. But now I'm thinking that MDC must have advertised this contest on FB or something to try to bring new members to this web site for money, knowing that their pictures of their precious babies could very well be exploited by sick pervs.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#6 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM

I just went and deleted all my entries. I hope it's not too late.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#7 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I have posted a caution in the OP about posting pictures of your child.  I have posted to the thread explaining that pictures can be taken without your knowledge and that it has happened in the past.  The internet is not a risk free place, and posting pictures of yourself or your children means they can be downloaded and used for other purposes.  On any site that is not private and secure, this includes facebook and any other social site.  

However, that being said, there did need to be a disclaimer on the thread, and now there is one as well as a post informing folks of the risks.

We were not keeping it secret, nor trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.  This incident happened 7 years ago. We specifically did not ask for pictures of babies in diapers for this reason.  We do tend to assume that if you are posting on the internet you have given thought to whether or not you wish to have pictures of your child available to the entire web or not.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I had no idea that type of thing even exists! I just posted a few pictures of my DD. It seems silly to say that people can decide for them selves. I for one had no idea such a thing even existed or that people can take pictures from the contest without asking. I didn't know I was making a decision. That's not right, people should be told.

I came over here to ask why so many of the contest participants were brand new members? At first I was thinking maybe people were using an alias mdc account to participate without showing pics of themselves or their kids. But now I'm thinking that MDC must have advertised this contest on FB or something to try to bring new members to this web site for money, knowing that their pictures of their precious babies could very well be exploited by sick pervs.

All of our contests such as this one are promoted on facebook and twitter.   These people are people that follow those accounts because they like what Mothering has to say, and may not yet be members of MDC, but have decided to participate in this contest.  We do not make any money on these contests. Again, any time you post pictures on the internet they can be removed and used without your consent unless the site is secure.  There are awful people out there with too much time on their hands, it is a sad fact of life. I'm very sorry you feel that we have not been honest.  Please let me know if I may help you remove any of your pictures.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#8 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks for responding AdinaL. I spoke with Peggy through PM and she explained everything. I understand. It's really sad that the world is such a corrupt place. I'm so glad you went ahead and put up some info about what could happen to the photos. It really is the right thing to do. Thanks

#9 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgI just went and deleted all my entries.

#10 of 12 Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Adina - thank-you for doing that. All of what you have said is true and words I live by (in a nutshell - don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't put in an ad in your local paper orngbiggrin.gif), but  sometimes people need to  be reminded of that.

#11 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM

how do I delete my entry, I def want to delete it now?

#12 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 AM

I moved your thread here since the contest thread is not the best place for this discussion.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page