Unable to send private message - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I have tried since Sunday to send a private message to my friend.  I keep getting an error message something along the lines of request denied" or that I need to log in again.

I didn't type a super long email, so I know I should not need to re-login again. 

Please help,

Christine

#2 of 19 Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Hi there! 

We have restrictions on Private Messages. You must be a member for at least 14 days and have a least 10 posts before you can send a PM. Looks liken you only have a couple more posts to make to meet the requirement. thumb.gif

#3 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 AM

2 weeks? Long wait! I was wondering why I kept getting an error message... Also, I've been posting just fine, but suddenly got  a message when I tried to write something saying "you're new here, so you have to wait for your post to be reviewed before posting." is that normal, or just a blip? thanks!

#4 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Questions and Suggestions is a moderated forum, which is why you got that message. It applies to every post, no matter how long you've been a member. 

I know two weeks is a long wait but we have had some abuse of the PM system and this was the easiest way to address it. I'll see if we can reduce it to ten days. :)

#5 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator

My mistake. We switched it to 7 days about a month ago. Have you tried sending a PM recently? I think you registered over a week ago, right?

#6 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 PM

It was in a different forum, actually, over in Natural Family Living. I've been registered for 6 days, so I guess tomorrow I'll be able to send messages. Thanks for your help.

#7 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Our spam filter will often flag new member posts that contain links to websites or products. I'm guessing this is the case. I'll check...

#8 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Administrator

You have two posts to this thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1360492/downsized-mostly-great-but-what-i-miss/0_100#post_17076713 that are being held for moderation  by the spam filter because there are Amazon links in them. I checked the links and there seems to be an affiliate code in the URL. It may or may not be your affiliate link. Either way, we don't permit affiliate linking in discussions.  I'll remove that and place the generic link for the product and approve your post. thumb.gif

#9 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Oooh, okay, mystery solved! Yeah I was trying to describe a product to someone and didn't feel like I did a very good job so wanted to put in a photo, lol. I don't know what affiliate linking is, but I'll just keep amazon links out of my posts. Thanks again! :)

#10 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Administrator

No problem. :)

#11 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM

I want to pipe in and say that this is an odd requirement. I joined mothering.com and immediately participated in a thread.  In response to what I wrote I have received several private emails and I cannot write back to these people because I don't have authorization.  Now I will have to post several random messages (like this one), which are not necessary ... in order to accumulate enough posts in order to reply to the people who wrote to me privately. 

And meanwhile the people will believe that I'm deciding not to reply to themt. This situation does not seem like it fulfills your objective.

#12 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Administrator

We should block messages from members to new members I suppose. Thanks for pointing that out. thumb.gif

#13 of 19 Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Does this include PMs to Mothering?  I created a new account a week or so ago because I couldn't access my old one.  When my new account was activated, I got a welcome message from Mothering.  I tried to reply to that message, asking for help figuring out what became of my old account.  Was it deleted due to inactivity?  Even if I'd logged in within the last year?  But I wasn't allowed to send the message.  There didn't seem to be any way to contact anyone.  I tried posting the same question here, but that post was held for moderation and still hasn't shown up.  I'm feeling frustrated, especially as I've been a (admittedly sporadic) member of the Mothering community for years.  

And one non-related question:  Under my profile there is the message "The rest of your profile will become visible after you've been active in the forums" .... But I have been active in the forums.  At least, I've been posting (though several posts seem to be waiting moderation and still aren't showing up).  So, if posting does not constitute "active", what does?

I'm feeling confused and a bit frustrated.  Any help, advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! :-)

#14 of 19 Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Never mind the above post from guenhwyvar!  I've recovered my old account now. :-)

intactlact.gif  Mum to five kids ages 16, 13, 9 and 4 years and baby K born 11/12!  And five angel babies angel1.gif
#15 of 19 Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM

How do I gain access or ability to send private message?
#16 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Hi and Welcome to Mothering! 

As Cynthia said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Hi there! 

We have restrictions on Private Messages. You must be a member for at least 14 days and have a least 10 posts before you can send a PM. Looks liken you only have a couple more posts to make to meet the requirement. thumb.gif

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#17 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator

My apologies.  The settings have been changed.  If you have one post and have been registered for 24 hours you can send private messages.  I checked your profile and you should be able to send them, jmommie.  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#18 of 19 Old 05-26-2014, 05:40 PM

How were you able to get your "old" username reactivated?  The same thing happened to me... although it's been a bit longer since I've successfully posted anything.

#19 of 19 Old 05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Administrator

PM me with your info and I can get it worked out for you.

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page