About the "What was your most embarrassing parenting moment ever?" thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately I do not feel comfortable posting on this sort of thread knowing that my most embarrassing parenting moment is going to be slapped up on Facebook tomorrow. While I realize that increased web presence provides opportunities for Mothering, particularly since the print business has folded, it has also detracted from the community that once existed here.

SimpleLove likes this.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#2 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 AM

I definitely understand why you wouldn't wan to share something personal like that.  I also just wanted to say that I'm 99% sure Mothering folks would check with a person before sharing what they wrote here on FB.  

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, but that wasn't what I was meant. I was referring to threads that start on Mothering online community and then show up in their entirety on the Mothering Facebook page, as has happened with the thread in question.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#4 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Our policy is to notify the OP and the posters that a thread may be featured on Facebook. Can you give me a screenshot of what you are seeing on Facebook so I can find out how it got there?

#5 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 PM

There was a thread I responded to recently that later had a post of 'this is now on Facebook', which surprised me.
#6 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Administrator

pek64, were you the OP of the thread? I assume our web editor contacted the OP to get an okay to feature it. The post to the thread was, I assume, to give everyone a heads up about the FB feature of the thread so they could edit their post content if they had any concerns.  

If not then I'd like to know what thread it was so I can check into that and we can get our policies straightened out with all staff and clarify to the community once again. 

#7 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 PM

I was not the OP, which is why I can't remember which thread it was.

The post made it seem as though it was already on Facebook. Isn't too late to edit, at that point?
#8 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Administrator

When we feature something on Facebook it is usually a hyperlinked title (thread, article or blog title) and a short intro sentence or two. We don't place the entire thread on FB. So yes, you can edit your post here. What people read is what they see when they click through from FB and arrive here, not on FB itself.

#9 of 14 Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM

I like that there is a notification option, at least.  I've definitely shared pek64's concerns.  I've basically stopped posting here except to connect locally and occasionally.
I  DO make sure I'm okay, just in case,  with the content that I write being "promoted" in Motherings newsletters, facebook page, probably twitter, etc. and although I know people can find stuff, I do tend to be share a lot less.

I almost wish that instead of moderators picking a community post and promoting it, moderators picked a question of the day/week/ or whatever and started it as a known thread that was going to be promoted.   Then moderators could borrow questions, hot topics etc, and make a more generic question rather than have someone's personal posts be accidentally posted.  It may be okay with the Original Poster of the thread, but others who entered a personal response may not wish to be featured.

Also, is it at the discretion of the OP to notify on the thread?  Or is that automatically done?

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#10 of 14 Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Yeah, the "connect with Facebook" button freaks me out, too.   I don't post here under my real name, but I Facebook as my real self.   I'm constantly worried I'm going to click the dratted thing and somehow my posts will be linked with my real name either here or there.   

I HATE "connect with facebook" feature on sites with comment threads.   I won't comment in a thread or on a blog post or news article that auto-links to facebook.  I find it creepy when I read a news story and the "comment on this story" box beneath it has my real name and Facebook picture -- even when I have set my privacy settings to exclude such linkages.    While I do use Facebook, I find any attempt to link my other "social media" to it very, very suspicious, and I think less of sites that do so.   

jessjgh1 likes this.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#11 of 14 Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator

It is an opt in thing. If you accidentally click the Facebook Connect you will first get a screen asking for your permission to login with your FB account and you have to do so with your FB login credentials. So it's very unlikely you would accidentally do so. And if I recall correctly, if you do login with Facebook Connect you will be asked for permission for FB to access your account and connect it to your Mothering account. If you decline you will not be logged in with it. 

If this has changed it would be helpful to know. We have a tutorial on the ins and outs of using Facebook Connect, privacy concerns, and how to opt out here: http://www.mothering.com/community/a/facebook-connect

#12 of 14 Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM

I was referring to the promoted posts- how people participating on the thread are notified.  If they would be given the option of removing their post, etc.  Sounds like Vancouver Mommy wasn't notified till after the thread url was posted.  THAT is exactly what makes me less likely to post here.

Here was my suggestion:   I almost wish that instead of moderators picking a community post and promoting it, moderators picked a question of the day/week/ or whatever and started it as a known thread that was going to be promoted.   Then moderators could borrow questions, hot topics etc, and even be able to make a more generic question rather than have someone's personal responses be posted one the OP gives 'permission'.

Here was one question
Also, is it at the discretion of the OP to notify on the thread?  Or is that automatically done?

Thought of another
If the thread has been posted to Facebook or an enewsletter, can I tell when I'm reading the post that it is a 'featured' post?

I'm not so much opposed to this- I get it creates interest.  I think I just want to know how it works. 

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#13 of 14 Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Yes, just got an email today:

This conversation was featured as a "hot topic"

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1363523/mothers-who-skip-the-paci

Here's and excerpt from the email:  

Hot Threads (More Hot Threads)

You won't want to miss these hot threads, happening right now on Mothering.com.

Skip the PacifierOne Mothering mama is looking for support with her decision to not use a pacifier with her breastfed baby. Offer your encouragement and tips for dealing with discouragement.

There's no mention in any of the posts about it being 'featured'

I realize that this may be the way of the future-- and I need to adjust, but above it was made to sound like there might be a notification process. Doesn't look like it.

#14 of 14 Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Administrator

I believe you're talking about the Mothering newsletter? That's not something new. We've featured threads in the newsletter for well over 10 years. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page