Why are you allowing spammers to post? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know this board isn't as active as it once was; is that why you are allowing spammers to post without removing them?  I've seen this happen a few times over the last several months and it's baffling.  As for the report feature, people have said they reported the post(s) and yet, the post(s) still remain.  Why? 

#2 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Example please? It really depends on what you're referring to. We do have a moderation policy which I will explain once you show me what you're seeing.

#3 of 10 Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

There are many, but here is the latest that prompted me to post this question:

Crib Bumpers Thread

You chastised someone for calling out the two spammers, but they are, in fact, spammers.  A simple Google search tells you that the one is the blogger for the product website and the other is also involved with the company and is getting some kickbacks through referrals.  My personal opinion on the content of the thread doesn't even matter, but it's really sad to think people are getting away with it on this board.

#4 of 10 Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Our policy is that new people to Mothering get the benefit of the doubt if they seem to be sincere. Someone coming as a new member may post to introduce themselves. Sometimes they mention that they are a WAHM, for example, and may give their business name or website. We assume them to be sincere and we accept that first intro. It's a nice way to let people network and learn about each other and what they may have to offer. 

If it's a brand new post out of the blue to a thread we PM the member to let them know that posting in that manner is not acceptable and that their participation going forward should be in discussion and not promotional of a product or business or linking to products or services. But we still assume them to be sincerely offering useful information in response to the question and expect them to heed our explanation of the rules. If it is repeated then they obviously have business intent behind their membership. Then we'd issue a warning and thereafter a suspension of posting privileges.

In this case I had already contacted the new members to let them know that if they have personal gain interests behind these products then they should not post in this manner again. We do not do internet searches of people to find out if they have a financial interest in a link. If it's obvious in their post that they placed an affiliate link we'd edit that out and post to say so and explain the rules. But in this case the product was only mentioned by name.

My questions posted were to try to find out if the product did in fact meet some sort of safety code for the organizations mentioned, which would have been valid information for the OP regardless of who was sharing it. 

I should also say, if a brand new member posts obvious outright spam (based on our experience of new member spamming) comes and posts a link to "Cheap iPhones" or something like that, we delete that and suspend the posting privileges of the individual. 

#5 of 10 Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Our policy is that new people to Mothering get the benefit of the doubt if they seem to be sincere. Someone coming as a new member may post to introduce themselves. Sometimes they mention that they are a WAHM, for example, and may give their business name or website. We assume them to be sincere and we accept that first intro. It's a nice way to let people network and learn about each other and what they may have to offer. 

If it's a brand new post out of the blue to a thread we PM the member to let them know that posting in that manner is not acceptable and that their participation going forward should be in discussion and not promotional of a product or business or linking to products or services. But we still assume them to be sincerely offering useful information in response to the question and expect them to heed our explanation of the rules. If it is repeated then they obviously have business intent behind their membership. Then we'd issue a warning and thereafter a suspension of posting privileges.

In this case I had already contacted the new members to let them know that if they have personal gain interests behind these products then they should not post in this manner again. We do not do internet searches of people to find out if they have a financial interest in a link. If it's obvious in their post that they placed an affiliate link we'd edit that out and post to say so and explain the rules. But in this case the product was only mentioned by name.

My questions posted were to try to find out if the product did in fact meet some sort of safety code for the organizations mentioned, which would have been valid information for the OP regardless of who was sharing it. 

I should also say, if a brand new member posts obvious outright spam (based on our experience of new member spamming) comes and posts a link to "Cheap iPhones" or something like that, we delete that and suspend the posting privileges of the individual. 

Clearly it's subjective because the posts on that thread were not sincere, they were obviously sales oriented.  Regardless, thanks for explaining your policies.

swede likes this.
#6 of 10 Old 08-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I subjectively assumed they were sincere, yes. When someone responds to a question asked we treat it a little differently. I realize you see such a post to be no different from the "Cheap iPhones" spam post but we prefer to be subjective and give people a chance when it seems appropriate to do so. smile.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

I subjectively assumed they were sincere, yes. When someone responds to a question asked we treat it a little differently. I realize you see such a post to be no different from the "Cheap iPhones" spam post but we prefer to be subjective and give people a chance when it seems appropriate to do so. smile.gif

I do see it differently, yes, especially because the poster was discussing a sensitive topic.  This wasn't someone asking for an adult toy recommendation and being spammed by the company blogger.  Your board, your rules. 

swede likes this.
#8 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with mulvah. It is extremely distasteful.
swede likes this.
#9 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SustainablParentng View Post

I agree with mulvah. It is extremely distasteful.

Yes, very upsetting.
swede likes this.
#10 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the Crib Bumpers thread, it was extremely obvious that the two posts being discussed were indeed spam. Both first-time posters, who jump into an emotional discussion to plug a specific product?? What else are they going to be?  How naive can you get?

In any case, subsequent posters in that thread have provided positive evidence via username that these two were indeed spammers.  When are their posts going to be removed and their accounts deleted? 

swede likes this.

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page