Canada Tribe - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Is it possible to break the Canada tribe down by province/territory (similar to how the US is broken down)?  We're a pretty big country to all be under one tribe, and the healthcare from province to province is very different. (i.e.midwives are not covered by provincial health care in some provinces, but is in others).

Just wondering!

Just me and DS.
#2 of 22 Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

That would make sense. They would be Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan?

#3 of 22 Old 08-15-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, plus the three territories:
Northwest territories
Yukon
Nunavit

Thanks Cynthia!

Just me and DS.
#4 of 22 Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Okie doke! It may take me some time as we are sorting through a few other forum changes. But I'll try to work it in over the next week if not sooner. :)

#5 of 22 Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator

By the way, do we get enough posts for the three territories to warrant separate forums for them? Or could they be combined in one?

#6 of 22 Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

By the way, do we get enough posts for the three territories to warrant separate forums for them? Or could they be combined in one?

I'm really not sure how many posts we get from the three territories, but I feel like if we're separating all the provinces we should separate the territories too - your call as mod. It may make sense to keep them all together.

Thanks so much for doing this!

Just me and DS.
#7 of 22 Old 08-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Their population is much less dense though. So IMO, it would make sense to combine them.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 22 Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I can place the provinces and see if anyone requests the territories. It may be that we have no members in those areas and a forum for them would be pointless. 

But that's assuming we are getting posts for all of the provinces too. How about this - whoever lives in a province and feels the need for a subforum for it can request it. That's how we handle the addition countries - as needed and requested. 

So Ontario is a request fro StudyingStones. Any other requests?

#9 of 22 Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 AM

I live in Yukon now, but am moving to New Brunswick next month. Being here, it is definitely very different than other parts of Canada, but there are fewer than 30,000 people in this territory, and the Yukon Territorial Gov't adopts policies in their completed form from provinces, like B.C. and Alberta. So, from my perspective, having lived up here for four years, I don't see a good reason to have a Yukon sub-forum, but some significant distinctions that are geographically broader might work. Maybe the Maritimes, Central Canada, Ontario, Quebec, and B.C. (only because those provinces definitely have a distinct regional presence/culture- large populations- and issues that don't translate well to other areas), and the Territories all together. Alberta on its own, too.

I don't know- employment/jobs are shifting the populace at present, so the differences between areas are changing too.

There are definite distinctions between territories, but we all have similar issues related to living remotely, in sub-arctic and arctic conditions, isolation, living with children with wildlife in a way that is different than say, Southern Ontario, daily differences for many relating to self-sufficiency by necessity, etc....

I think most Canadians know what pertains to their living situation anyway; we know its a vast country with a relatively low population and significant regional differences. I enjoy reading the cross-country perspectives on, and experiences with issues, so I'd be happy with just "Canada Tribe."

:)

Wild Woooman & Mummie to my 4 boys (9, 8, 7, 5) and baby girl (2). bellyhair.gifom.gif

#10 of 22 Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

I am loving all the great conversation happening here!

I think Cynthia has a great idea in making tribes for provinces, as requested/needed.  I, for one, would love to see an Ontario tribe!

Just me and DS.
#11 of 22 Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know what value this would add given that the Canada tribe is not particularly busy anyway, and it will just add multiple lines to the scroll down between forums.

headscratch.gif

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#12 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensally View Post

I don't know what value this would add given that the Canada tribe is not particularly busy anyway, and it will just add multiple lines to the scroll down between forums.

headscratch.gif

But it might add traffic there....I for one, have stopped checking it out because I didn`t really related to the threads about BC or the Maritimes.

The fact is, if you are going on the Find you Tribe section, it`s because you are looking for more local info.

My 2 cts!!!

#13 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bena View Post

But it might add traffic there....I for one, have stopped checking it out because I didn`t really related to the threads about BC or the Maritimes.

The fact is, if you are going on the Find you Tribe section, it`s because you are looking for more local info.

My 2 cts!!!

I agree with this.  The lack of organization is what makes me not want to visit the Canada tribe often.  I find it hard to relate to BC/AB/SK, etc., as I'm sure they have problems relating to ON - the provinces really are very different in terms of health care, government, etc.

Just me and DS.
#14 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I can place the provinces and see if anyone requests the territories. It may be that we have no members in those areas and a forum for them would be pointless. 

But that's assuming we are getting posts for all of the provinces too. How about this - whoever lives in a province and feels the need for a subforum for it can request it. That's how we handle the addition countries - as needed and requested. 

So Ontario is a request fro StudyingStones. Any other requests?

I've seen a number of Albertans on Mothering...Me being one!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#15 of 22 Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 AM

Alberta. shy.gif I would appreciate a sub-forum.

Breastfeeding, Cloth-Diapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mama to a Sweet Little Boy slingboy.gif

#16 of 22 Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 PM

I'm in the Yukon and think combining the Territories would be fine.  Or making a "Northern Canada" tribe, since the northern parts of some of the provinces are more isolated and may have more in common with the Territories than their respective provinces.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#17 of 22 Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM

I gave up on the Canada subforum because it seemed like it was all ON and BC! Goes to show it's all in the perspective, I guess. Anyway, I would be a more regular reader (and perhaps poster too!), if I didn't have to wade through masses of Canada to get to the NB/NS stuff. I agree that even just having a Maritimes subforum would be awesome. I used to live in the NWT, and agree, a Northern subforum would probably cover it. It at least makes it easier to see if there are local threads without wading through pages and pages of Canada-wide threads. So, formal request for a Maritimes thread! :) Thanks.

For greater things are yet to come...

#18 of 22 Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM

I absolutely agree that the Canada tribe needs subsections -thanks to StudyingStones for initiating this. I am chiming in for British Columbia. I think this will certainly liven up the tribe.

May 2012: New Mama to L., my beautiful boy
#19 of 22 Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Ontario, Alberta and Ontario are open now. :)

So should the forum name be Northern Canada or Maritimes? 

#20 of 22 Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Northern Canada for the territories is great, or Arctic Canada! 

Are you thinking a "Maritimes" subforum  for Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island? 

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#21 of 22 Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM

I think we need Northern Canada AND the Maritimes. ;)

For greater things are yet to come...

#22 of 22 Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Ontario, Alberta and Ontario are open now. :)

So should the forum name be Northern Canada or Maritimes? 

They're two different areas, so two different sub-forums.  Northern Canada OR Artic Canada.  And Maritimes.

Thank you! thumb.gif

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page