Mama's getting a makeover!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
UPDATE: This is happening sooner than we thought! The new design will be put in place on Thursday. 10/18!!! Expect the site to be down from 8:30am Pacific - 4pm Pacific.

In the next week or so, Mothering is going to be getting a new look!
We are very excited about this change, as it will bring us increased functionality as well!

This new site design will give us a new homepage that will integrate the website and the community in a way we haven't had before.  This will make it easier to find content from past issues, blogs, and other articles.

We have a sneak peek for everyone, though keep in mind that these screen shots are from a test environment, and things may still change a bit.

So, without further ado, some screen shots: (you can click on these to see a larger version)

The New home page:

Forum view:

Individual thread view:

Navigation drop down from the home page:
:

Pregnancy Topic page:

We're very excited about this new look and the new functionality!  

lonegirl likes this.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 42 Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It looks fine so far! 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 42 Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can't wait to check it out this weekend. :)

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#4 of 42 Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Cool!

#5 of 42 Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

And we're back!! :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 42 Old 10-18-2012, 07:47 PM

It looks nice!!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#7 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 02:29 AM

Omg, it looks SO good!! Refreshing, sleek and clean! Awesome!

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#8 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Looks okay, but takes an irritatingly long time to load on my phone, plus it randomly starts reloading for no reason.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#9 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post

Looks okay, but takes an irritatingly long time to load on my phone, plus it randomly starts reloading for no reason.

I'm getting a 3-5 second loading time for pages on my phone so I don't think what you're experiencing is due to the design or the platform.

Our mobile feature is coming soon so hopefully that will resolve any mobile view issues. thumb.gif

#10 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 AM

Love the new look! Great job!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#11 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM

It looks real purty. :)

It reminds me more of the look of the print magazine, actually. Very homey and friendly. Nicely done!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#12 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 AM

is there an option somewhere to go back to the old forum look?  

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#13 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 AM

i like the cleaner look, my 2 comments right off the bat is that some of the color differences that show you things like which thread you have posted in or not are almost too subtle to give you that info at a glance, i would make them a few shades stronger of a difference.

the print also seems a bit harder to read, not sure if it is the particular style of antialiasing or just (more likely) the line thickness of this particular font, but it does seem a stain on the eyes,

i love the color tone in general, not my particular favorite colors but i think they are wonderful for  a website, well fitted to Mothering.coms brand and easy to look at over all.

i like the pale overall feel and love that it is not white behind the text in general since that is hard on the eyes.

now i look forward to getting to know any updates in the working of it day to day!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#14 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM

as a interesting and fun side note, Mothering.com is featured on the Huddler:  Method page (the folks that make this software for those of you that didn't know)  

Tell them they got to upgrade their image of us to match!!!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#15 of 42 Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Overall, pretty. However on my touchscreen device (iPad, but it would be true for any) "Groups" and everything else theoretically accessible via the "Community" pull-down are inaccessible because tapping "Community" takes you directly to the forums. A fix for this would be nice.

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#16 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 06:22 AM

Cute makeover Mama!!!!

My issue is that it seems to be taking quite  long time to load each page, not something that has ever happened before to me.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#17 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm here from the thread in TAO. Many of us seem to be having a problem differentiating between posts that we've read or posted on and new threads because the contrast between them is so low. And the light blue text is hard for many of us to read. I'm OK with the bolded blue text but the regular text is too light for this mama's eyes.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#18 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Agreed, not enough contrast with the pastel blue for some of us.  I can barely read the # of new posts on a particular thread, and I also cannot see the difference between threads I've posted on or not.

Otherwise, thumbs up.  I like the integration of the Mothering articles, etc. with the forum pages.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#19 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 PM

The other reason we cant figure out what we've read is that the "new posts" have ever other thread highlighted, plus the ones you've read highlighted. Super confusing.

Also, One suggestion: When I was looking for the June 2013 DDC Group today (I stalk the other DDC's to make sure that people know about the twin thread in the multiples forum if they find themselves expecting more than one), I had a hard time finding Groups. At the top, where you click on "Pregnancy" there is a link to DDC's (which most new people would be looking for and know what that is) and when you click on it, it only takes you to the April and May 2012 DDC's, back before there were groups. Is there any way that we could just start calling the groups that are the DDC's "DDC's" and have them formed as groups but seperated from the other groups?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#20 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

The other reason we cant figure out what we've read is that the "new posts" have ever other thread highlighted, plus the ones you've read highlighted. Super confusing.

Also, One suggestion: When I was looking for the June 2013 DDC Group today (I stalk the other DDC's to make sure that people know about the twin thread in the multiples forum if they find themselves expecting more than one), I had a hard time finding Groups. At the top, where you click on "Pregnancy" there is a link to DDC's (which most new people would be looking for and know what that is) and when you click on it, it only takes you to the April and May 2012 DDC's, back before there were groups. Is there any way that we could just start calling the groups that are the DDC's "DDC's" and have them formed as groups but seperated from the other groups?

If you go to the Community drop down menu there is a link to groups:

If you click on that, it will take you to groups, and then there is a link to the Due Date Clubs from there:

Does that help?

#21 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Agreed, not enough contrast with the pastel blue for some of us.  I can barely read the # of new posts on a particular thread,

yeahthat.gif

Although the forum is now loading somewhat faster on my phone, I'm still having the issue of each page double-loading - loading completely, then reloading for no apparent reason. And the first time it loads, it takes me to the first unread post in the thread, but when it reloads, it always takes me back to the top of the page. Super frustrating, especially since I mostly browse the forum from my phone while nursing! And I'm not saying that my personal (stupid) smart phone isn't playing a part in this - just that it didn't happen with the old format, and it is happening with the new format.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#22 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Ahhh, there is help on the way....a mobile version is coming *very* soon.  We will keep you posted and we will let tech know that pages are doing this. 

#23 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Adina, that helps, but I dont think that new people who join MDC are going to be looking for "Groups" and then finding their DDC. When I go to a new site, I go the "Pregnancy" section. But, it doesnt really matter to me, I just thought it was something admins might want to think about for newbies. 

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#24 of 42 Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM

What's with the new ads all of a sudden?  At first my screen was fine, but starting today there are ad columns on both sides of the threads I read.  The thread is now a column, and the ads are literally taking up over half of my screen. :(  It makes the page look very "busy".

#25 of 42 Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Mine too, and in settings I selected "ad-free experience"

SIDS happens. 

#26 of 42 Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Mine too, and in settings I selected "ad-free experience"

Thanks, I just fixed it, I hope.  I was looking for "settings" but found a tab called "preferences" underneath the thread title.  I selected "view forums full width".  Now I only see a small column of ads on the right.  It no longer looks like a page full of ads.

#27 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

We have an ad skin running on the site which is a site-wide ad run and not part of the usual ad positions that are excluded in the ad free version. I see it on a few landing pages but not on thread pages at all. Are you still seeing it Adaline'sMama? 

#28 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Im only seeing it when I go to my subscriptions or to the homepage. It's not on the thread pages at all. 

SIDS happens. 

#29 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Omg! Mobile platform!?!

joy.gif

I can't tell you how much more I would use this site if I could read it on my first gen iPad and or iPhone I have about a 30 sec load for an MDC page on my iPad. It shows my dedication to MDC that I just didn't completely drop out. But it sure cut down my visits and participation.

Hooray!

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#30 of 42 Old 10-26-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

Omg! Mobile platform!?!
joy.gif
I can't tell you how much more I would use this site if I could read it on my first gen iPad and or iPhone I have about a 30 sec load for an MDC page on my iPad. It shows my dedication to MDC that I just didn't completely drop out. But it sure cut down my visits and participation.
Hooray!

We (Cynthia and I) just got in for testing on the mobile version. It's sexy! Can't wait for everyone to see it.

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page