What is Reputation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I got an email saying that another user have me a reputation on a particular post...but when I looked at the post it was the same, and the other user hadn't even posted in the thread. What the heck? What does a reputation on the site mean? I'm just confuzzled

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#2 of 22 Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

It's a new feature we are working on. The announcements are going out prematurely so I do apologize for that. Once we have everything squared away we'll post info on the feature so it is more clear. :)

#3 of 22 Old 05-19-2013, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad you asked because it just happened to me too. =)

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#4 of 22 Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

me too...im wondering what my reputation could be...

#5 of 22 Old 05-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Me three. I assumed it was just someone "liking" one of my posts.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 22 Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

when do we find out? now i  dont know if i have a good reputation or a bad reputation :-(

Neera likes this.
#7 of 22 Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 PM

Just wondering the same thing!

#8 of 22 Old 05-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

am also wondering, since it just happened to me a few minutes ago .... is there somewhere on the site where this is explained & i could read about it ?

#9 of 22 Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM

I would like to know too. Thought the thumbs up was just liking a post. hope thats what it means ;)

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#10 of 22 Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Administrator

It is the thumbs up feature but the notifications are part of a more expanded version of the feature. I'll place a post about it soon. smile.gif

#11 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaritaa View Post

I would like to know too. Thought the thumbs up was just liking a post. hope thats what it means ;)

Yeah, that's what it is.  I just think the grammar/verbage is a bit...off?  I mean, isn't reputation a noun?  It just seems off to me.  But I appreciate the idea behind the feature.  thumb.gif

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#12 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've never treated the thumbs up as necessarily being about the author, more like a "yeah that" because it says what I was going to say and the previous poster said it before I had a chance (I'm on the west coast of the US, so often one of the last people seeing new threads)

Neera likes this.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#13 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

Yeah, that's what it is.  I just think the grammar/verbage is a bit...off?  I mean, isn't reputation a noun?  It just seems off to me.  But I appreciate the idea behind the feature.  thumb.gif

Sus

True. We're planning to change "reputation" to something like "kudos" so it makes more sense. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post

I've never treated the thumbs up as necessarily being about the author, more like a "yeah that" because it says what I was going to say and the previous poster said it before I had a chance (I'm on the west coast of the US, so often one of the last people seeing new threads)

If your intent is not to show appreciation for the poster's words you can just post to say that you were planning to post the same thing and that you agree. But basically the thumbs up is to show the poster appreciation for what they posted. thumb.gif

#14 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM

It would be nice if there was an "I agree" button as well as a "Well said" button.
sparkprincess and Turquesa like this.
#15 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Wow. So glad I found this thread. Definitely change the word, because I thought it meant I had been flagged for inappropriate content. Phew!
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#16 of 22 Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 PM

i agree with the previous poster ... as a non native speaker, i tend to associate rather easily the word "reputation" with the word "bad" or "good", so knowing it could go either way, my first reaction at the time was to wonder ...." what is it that i have done that they don"t like ?" ... before i realise it was something positive said about what i had suggested

#17 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 AM

as a contrast to some of those impressions, the first time i got reputation (after my first post, in fact), i was like, "oh, wow, someone really appreciated what i said!" and it felt different than if it had said someone "liked" what i said, b/c sometimes people like the cranky, uncooperative things we do on the web, but that's not the same as them saying that it makes you reputable. i initially thought, hey cool, getting reputation so soon into my joining this community probably means that my comments will not have to await moderation, or something like that. not sure that was a correct assessment. but then calling it "reputation" made me feel like there's a higher expectation from me in terms of the wisdom and maturity which i'm supposed to summon if i expect to receive this. likewise, it also makes me feel like i have to hold another's comment to a higher standard before clicking the the thumbs-up icon. this was my initial impression, but just today (after seeing another in my inbox) i started wondering if continuing to accumulate reputation would eventually lead to something, such as in the way that you can sort the most helpful reviews on amazon to the top, but i couldn't think of specifically how that might play out on a discussion site, so that's how i ended up here – i was looking it up. but overall i like it, and it seems in keeping with the vibe/attitude of this community. well, just thought i'd share my feedback. =)

will be TTC in late 2014 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI. queer, 32. DW is 41.  married 10 yrs. 

and soon          
#18 of 22 Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

True. We're planning to change "reputation" to something like "kudos" so it makes more sense. 

If your intent is not to show appreciation for the poster's words you can just post to say that you were planning to post the same thing and that you agree. But basically the thumbs up is to show the poster appreciation for what they posted. thumb.gif

Any updates on how the reputation option functions? I am curious where the reputation is tallied, or recorded if it is. Or is it just between members?

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#19 of 22 Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh, I see now that reputation records as a thumbs up tally beneath the post on the fullsite. I am usually on the mobile site, so I don't see the notations.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#20 of 22 Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I accidentally gave somebody a recommendation, but really didn't want to. Can I take a reputation back?

adinal and HappyHappyMommy like this.

#21 of 22 Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

I just tried, and was unable to remove reputation.  So, at this point I do not think it is possible.

HappyHappyMommy and Monica S like this.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#22 of 22 Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Thank you, Adina. 
I'll just let it go. :) 

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page