So no more "the case against...." - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 06-23-2013, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

While we're on the topic of the impression newcomers might get by casually scrolling..

Awhile back, there was a poll about what to name the Intact Care forum. I was against naming it Intact Care because someone scrolling through will see "Intact Care" underneath the circ forum and be like, "ugh, and that is why we're circing. intact care is so complicated it requires a whole section on this forum to discuss it!" And because they're probably assuming they're going to read instructions about retracting and cleaning, treating infections, and they just aren't interested. So they don't click. I feel the same way about any links on anti-circ webpages that are like, "click here for information on intact care!" Or any article including the words "intact" and "care" in the title. What a turn off! Can you imagine the collective, "ugh, I don't want to hear about that, just cut it off"? I proposed (and still highly support!) "Raising Intact Children" anyone specifically looking for answers regarding "intact care" questions would recognize it as a good place to ask, and it is also inclusive.. it could be a place to ask questions regarding a girl  as well as other things such as talking to our kids about this! I'm waiting for one of my kids to ask "why does my cousin look different from my brothers?" one of these days and would appreciate a good place to discuss how to navigate my kids through it. I think it could be sort of disturbing for a little kid to learn that their aunt and uncle did that to their cousins! A forum called "Raising Intact Children" would be PERFECT for that kind of discussion, because its open ended and does not imply to be exclusively talking about "physical" stuff. "the case against circumcision" could host that type of topic too (though not as great a fit) but somehow just "circumcision" doesn't seem as good a fit. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

nt

Ds 9 and dd 5
#33 of 59 Old 06-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

The new opening page is nice.  It does not explain why an area of MDC is named something MDC is against.  This defies logic.  I'm hoping to get an explanation as to why.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#34 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Moving this to Site Help and Feedback. 

You make a lot of valid points and Genital Integrity is a good title fit for the forum purpose. I'm going to raise the topic for discussion at our team meeting this week. I'll let you know what the decision is. smile.gif

#35 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was away from the board for a while and was confused when I came back to look for the forum. I agree that Circumcision is a terrible name, because it implies that both views are to be equally validated and there is no presumption of "intact is better".

The name "Anti-circumcision" doesn't sit well with me; I'm pro-intact and don't feel "anti-" anything. It might even imply being anti those parents who chose circumcision, rather than at the act itself. Much prefer "Genital Integrity" (which also implies a lack thereof for those who have decided otherwise) or simply The Foreskin -- why should we shy away from naming a forum after a normal part of the body? Discussion of circumcision is ultimately discussion of the foreskin, so why not have a title that identifies, celebrates and respects that part of the anatomy? Why give the operation the respect instead, by naming the discussion after what we actively avoid?

#36 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Moving this to Site Help and Feedback. 

You make a lot of valid points and Genital Integrity is a good title fit for the forum purpose. I'm going to raise the topic for discussion at our team meeting this week. I'll let you know what the decision is. smile.gif

Thank you. 

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#37 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I was going to say something else, but Brant31 said it really well, so I'll leave it at that.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#38 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

I really appreciate everyone's concern about and suggestions for the forum title. In this week's meeting I presented all the points raised. But in the end the decision was to stay with Circumcision. Since the title change several weeks ago we've not seen any issues in the forum as a result. If it does prove, over time, to set the stage for problem discussions that we cannot moderate effectively then we'll visit the title change again.

You may have noticed that we now have a sticky at the top of the forum and a forum description on the forum index page that clarifies the forum focus for all newcomers. We think these will help guide posting and questions and raise awareness that parents do have a choice. 

Thanks again for all the feedback on this. smile.gif

#39 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Well that is disappointing.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#40 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I really appreciate everyone's concern about and suggestions for the forum title. In this week's meeting I presented all the points raised. But in the end the decision was to stay with Circumcision. Since the title change several weeks ago we've not seen any issues in the forum as a result. If it does prove, over time, to set the stage for problem discussions that we cannot moderate effectively then we'll visit the title change again.

You may have noticed that we now have a sticky at the top of the forum and a forum description on the forum index page that clarifies the forum focus for all newcomers. We think these will help guide posting and questions and raise awareness that parents do have a choice. 

Thanks again for all the feedback on this. smile.gif

While I appreciate what you've done w/ this, there is still the unanswered question as to why there is a part of MDC that is named something MDC is against.  It is illogical.  I would like to understand.  If however, there isn't a reason & it's just that our opinions on why it should be changed don't matter, then I'll give up & move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post

Well that is disappointing.

yeahthat.gif

Sus

#41 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator

The aim is a simple, straightforward title that is inviting and conveys a discussion forum open to all parents so that they feel it is a place they can post questions, learn about circumcision, and make their decision.  

#42 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM

I guess this post clarifies what I think is part of the problem.  "Make their decision" tacitly expresses that it is OK for someone to decide to remove a part of another person's body.

How about post questions, learn about what circumcision really is (and what it removes), and hopefully make a decision that respects genital integrity?

I understand that we don't want to turn people away, but I think starting out with an attitude of hey- you probably don't know this due to societal conditioning is better than starting out implying that yeah, there's no problem with circumcision...you might just want to make a different choice. 

I don't think that you will ever be able to see the effects of someone scanning this site, seeing "Circumcision" and thinking it means it's a valid MDC-endorsed option.  I worry about that.

#43 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM

I do appreciate the clear forum description.

#44 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Administrator

PrimordialMom and philomom, while I understand and appreciate all of the concerns you posted this is a discussion where you are invited to share your feelings and suggestions but not a platform for insulting and accusing. For that reason your post has been removed. I will answer the questions you raised in another post.

#45 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 PM
A&A

Quote:

The aim is a simple, straightforward title that is inviting and conveys a discussion forum open to all parents so that they feel it is a place they can post questions, learn about circumcision, and make their decision.  

Given this logic, why not change the "Breastfeeding" forum to "Formula Feeding," or just "feeding"?  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#46 of 59 Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Add me to the list of people who object to the change.  It's confusing, and misleading.

#47 of 59 Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Administrator

We certainly don't want to do anything to change the focus or purpose of the forum but we do want to be more welcoming of parents who are struggling with the decision and the aim is for a title that will convey that welcome. I agree that "Circumcision" is ambiguous and I agree with many of your points raised so I went back to discuss it further and got the go ahead to change it to Understanding Circumcision. I'm going to make that change now. smile.gif

#48 of 59 Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Thank you for hearing us out. Personally I'm satisfied with Understanding Circumcision as a compromise.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#49 of 59 Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Awesome!

#50 of 59 Old 06-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator

love.gif

#51 of 59 Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 PM

While I certainly agree that "Understanding Circumcision," is better than just, "Circumcision," I do not think it is enough nor do I think it gets the point across.  Again, I think someone scrolling through could read that & say, "I understand circumcision: it prevents UTIs, STDs, cancer, blah, blah, blah.  I know all I need to know."  I think following this logic, as someone had already pointed out, the, "Gentle Discipline" forum could now be changed to, "Understanding Spanking." 

I also don't understand why I have seen in at least one other area, the Vaccination forums, there was discussion with those participating there of what the new names should be.  Why did this happen in at least one place but not others?

Again, I think it's better but I don't understand what was wrong w/ "The Case Against Circumcision," nor do I feel the new name is likely to draw in someone who may be able to be enlighten.  I think, "Genital Integrity," would have done that way more than, "Understanding Circumcision."

Sus

#52 of 59 Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Administrator

The Vaccinations forum issues were due to ongoing posting issues with the active members there.

I've already explained the Circumcision forum name change reasoning. While I appreciate you are not satisfied with the name we've settled on, I think it serves the purpose of both the editorial needs and the forum purpose. Understanding Circumcision was the original name of the forum when it was first established back in 1999 and it did just fine so I don't think there's anything to worry about. smile.gif

#53 of 59 Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

Awesome!

Hi, mama friend!! hug.gif

Quote:

Understanding Circumcision was the original name of the forum when it was first established back in 1999 and it did just fine so I don't think there's anything to worry about. smile.gif

MDC going retro, I love it!  You know what would be so cool would be if there were a way to screen shot the original forum pre-crash. I'd love to see that! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#54 of 59 Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Wow, very mixed feelings about all this.
Sorta feels like the somehow the worst possible and offensive name snuck into the forum, so after the shock of that we should just 'be happy' with the offered compromise.  

I don't want to "understand circumcision"...  I want to promote intactness and provide information regarding intacteness and circumcision so parents have accurate information... and support.  .

I'm completely mind blown that changing the name to 'circumcision' was some how something that can happen on MDC.  I can't get past that to even think about what the forum could be called. 

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#55 of 59 Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 AM

I want to hear what others will say about what you think Sus.  I'm a newbie and I'm just curious.

#56 of 59 Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

We never had a boy, so this issue became mute for us personally, but my husband was bound to want our son to be circumcised, and I happened to have a Mothering article open on the kitchen table (not on purpose) about the procedure, and he walked away with his made completely changed.  

Is it possible that "Understanding Circumcision" would be more inviting to folks are are not strongly committed to circumcision and possibly change their decision?  Personally, as much as support for those who have decided against it is extremely important, so is changing the minds of people who might be pro-circ at first?  And if that is important, what is the best way to do that?  I think that "The Case Against Circumcision" as the title of the forum could possibly turn off quite a few people considering-- or even not even thinking about it.

Just some food for thought.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#57 of 59 Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Now it's called, "Discussions about circumcision?" Whne did that happen?  Why?  Where is the logic in these changes? 

Thanks,

Sus

#58 of 59 Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the delay in replying. Looks like your post was missed. shy.gif

The forum title is still Understanding Circumcision. If a change was made it might have been in error or something the editorial team changed their mind about. I have not heard from them about changing the name of the forum.

We are still looking at forum reorganization and consolidation and that will mean some forums getting moved and/or forum name tweaks. Ultimately, it is an editorial decision so if it happens directly without community input it will be because the editorial team feels it is a necessary change. So, if there is a decision to change it to Discussions about Circumcision I will let you know why as soon as I know. smile.gif

#59 of 59 Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM

I know I am late to be commenting, but I solely credit MDC and "The Case Against Circumcision" for my 3 1/2 year old son being left intact. Had I come across the title "Understanding Circumcision", I would have not have been compelled to read further. While I dont necessarily consider myself an intactivist, it makes me incredibly sad that MDC would make any "editorial" changes that would or could potentially even slightly water down the true importance and critical nature of educating parents of the horror of RIC.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page