Just "circumcision"?

Ds 9 and dd 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 06-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Great observation! Sounds like those in charge are backing off this issue, doesn't it?
#3 of 59 Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 PM

I was wondering about this as well. Why the change? I dont think it is a good idea and gives the wrong impression ie that Mothering is no longer anti circ.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 59 Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yet under the "guidelines" it still says the case against.....

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 59 Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Has anyone posted about this in the "questions" area of MDC?  If not, one of us might want to to try to find out what's happening.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#6 of 59 Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Okay, I did it.  It has to be approved by a mod before it shows up, so I'll post the link to the questions forum & hopefully we can all see it soon.

Sus

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/2/site-help-and-feedback

#7 of 59 Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 AM

OMGoodness, almost 24 hours later & my post has not appeared.  At the risk of taking it personally, I'm kinda annoyed.  Anyone else want to ask too?

Sus

#8 of 59 Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I noticed this the other day and it has me royally PO'd. Is it some attempt to court more mainstream mamas? Yuck! No baby cutting! No baby cutting! No forced unnecessary surgery on non consenting infants! Leave the sons intact!
Night_Nurse likes this.
#9 of 59 Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM

I sent a PM to Cynthia this afternoon. Maybe there'll be a response before the end of the week.
#10 of 59 Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow, I don't think I would have noticed right away, but I'm glad someone did! I was drawn to mothering because I knew most of the moms on the boards kept their sons intact. nocirc.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#11 of 59 Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

The name change was an editorial decision - simpler, straightforward names for forums. Our stance and posting rules and guidelines remain the same. smile.gif

#12 of 59 Old 06-09-2013, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Circumcision is not a straightforward name for an anti-circumcision site.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#13 of 59 Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 AM

I absolutely agree with Nightwish, and I don't like the forum name-change either.
Night_Nurse and swede like this.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#14 of 59 Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 AM

I agree w/ the two PP'ers & philomom.  I know of at least one instance (vax'ing) where those posting there had been asked about a name change.  Can this please be reopened for discussion?  Or at a minimum, can it be changed to something simple like "anti-circumcision?"  There's a big difference between the meaning one would get from "the case against circumcision," & "circumcision."  If one needs any proof, I imagine a google search would show the difference.  Being one who gets nightmares from viewing/hearing circ related info, I won't be trying it myself. faint.gif

All of this is being posted in the most respectful tone one can muster on a tired Sunday morning. flowersforyou.gif

Sus

#15 of 59 Old 06-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I noticed this the other day and it has me royally PO'd. Is it some attempt to court more mainstream mamas? Yuck! No baby cutting! No baby cutting! No forced unnecessary surgery on non consenting infants! Leave the sons intact!

Maybe mothers who are considering circumcision will be more likely to post here and that way they will get the facts.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#16 of 59 Old 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post

Maybe mothers who are considering circumcision will be more likely to post here and that way they will get the facts.

This is one of the reasons for simplifying the title. thumb.gif

As I said, we have no intention of changing the posting guidelines or the purpose of the forum and we'll continue to moderate as we always have. If we do see that the name change is setting the stage for problem discussions then we can revisit the decision.

#17 of 59 Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post

Circumcision is not a straightforward name for an anti-circumcision site.

I agree. It's misleading. We have NO interest in supporting the cutting of healthy infants!
#18 of 59 Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM

I think the name change is for the better. Most members of the site will already be against circumcision. Perhaps this will attract new mothers looking for information.

#19 of 59 Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post

I think following that logic, the opposite could also be said.  Well, it's just circumcision, MDC must support it, so I'll just do it.  Just skimming through is all that's necessary.  If someone is scrolling through the list of forum sections & sees "circumcision," vs. "the case against circumcision," the later gets a point across w/o the person having to come into the forum at all.  How many parents say, "I didn't knwo I had a choice!" Well, the forum named, "Circumcision," isn't going to make that point.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

This is one of the reasons for simplifying the title. thumb.gif

As I said, we have no intention of changing the posting guidelines or the purpose of the forum and we'll continue to moderate as we always have. If we do see that the name change is setting the stage for problem discussions then we can revisit the decision.

Well, I'm glad the rules aren't changing, but I think trying to make the title simple tries to make an issue that, for most, isn't simple into one that is.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheringforme View Post

I think the name change is for the better. Most members of the site will already be against circumcision. Perhaps this will attract new mothers looking for information.

There are many old threads here of first timer's or first timer's to TCAC who come looking for information.  I think it's a incorrect assumption to say that most people who come here will already be anti-circ.  Everyone has to start somewhere & for some, circ comes later.  Even my lay-midwife-turned-nurse-midwife circ'd her four boys.  She's now against it but the cultural push to do it is intense for some.  

It used to be that if you googled circumcision, this was the first or among the first links to pop up.  I doubt that's the case any longer.  If we are okay to fall by the wayside of promoting genital integrity, then it doesn't matter.  But if MDC wants to be a stand-up in the fight for genital integrity, then listing this area of MDC as simply a noun, doesn't fit w/ that goal.

Sus

swede likes this.

#20 of 59 Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM

Is the conversation over?  No one has an opinion on what I said or this topic in general?  The case isn't closed for me irked.gif.

Sus

#21 of 59 Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

Is the conversation over?  No one has an opinion on what I said or this topic in general?  The case isn't closed for me irked.gif

Sus

I agree. I want it changed back..... NOW!irked.gif
Night_Nurse likes this.
#22 of 59 Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I agree. I want it changed back..... NOW!irked.gif

Agreed!  

Night_Nurse likes this.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#23 of 59 Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM

You made a lot of good points, mama24-7! I agree that if someone is simply skimming the site this will give them the wrong impression. They may not necessarily think we are for pro-circ but they also wont understand that we're anti-circ. For me and many others, we literally get sick to our stomach even thinking about this happening to baby boys, so its going to be difficult having any sort of neutral discussions (if thats what the mods are hoping for). If its just to bring more people in and then educate them about how circ is bad and unnecessary then i understand that, but i find it misleading and a form of trickery which i certainly dont condone. The change doesnt fit what MDC is about, it might seem that way on the surface (being respectful of various opinions) but this is an attachment parenting community that certainly doesnt include removing body parts against someone's will.
#24 of 59 Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It's not even like taking the Gentle Discipline forum and changing it to Discipline.  It's like changing it to Spanking.  It completely changes the meaning.  Is any other forum name a thing that we do not support?

Nightwish and swede like this.
#25 of 59 Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salr View Post

It's not even like taking the Gentle Discipline forum and changing it to Discipline.  It's like changing it to Spanking.  It completely changes the meaning.  Is any other forum name a thing that we do not support?

I agree.
#26 of 59 Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 PM

"Just skimming through is all that's necessary.  If someone is scrolling through the list of forum sections & sees "circumcision," vs. "the case against circumcision," the later gets a point across w/o the person having to come into the forum at all.  How many parents say, "I didn't knwo I had a choice!" Well, the forum named, "Circumcision," isn't going to make that point."

Mama 24 7, I totally agree with you. Uninformed moms will just scroll through. If there isn't a "case against circumcision" title, they wont even think to click or even imagine that there could be a case against circumcision. Just "circumcision" implies a neutrality that, given the nature of the forum, is disingenuous and dangerously close to an attititude of acceptance. Mothering.com is getting more and more watered down and I'm disgusted with it.

Night_Nurse likes this.
#27 of 59 Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora_skys View Post

Just "circumcision" implies a neutrality that, given the nature of the forum, is disingenuous and dangerously close to an attititude of acceptance. Mothering.com is getting more and more watered down and I'm disgusted with it.

I agree! Is there anyway to help MDC become more of a democracy so we can vote on issues like this? Or is that option already available?
#28 of 59 Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salr View Post

Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimordialMind View Post

I agree! Is there anyway to help MDC become more of a democracy so we can vote on issues like this? Or is that option already available?

How about we just stick w/ logic & reason.  Like salr said, what other forum is named something that MDC is against?  If "The Case Against Circumcision," in four words & 29 characters is too long, then how about "Genital Integrity," with two words & 17 characters?

I feel like we're just discussing this among ourselves & we're SOL.

Sus

cynthia mosher likes this.

#29 of 59 Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Genital Integrity would be a much better name. I am SHOCKED to see "Case against" hidden like that.
swede likes this.
#30 of 59 Old 06-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post

Genital Integrity would be a much better name. I am SHOCKED to see "Case against" hidden like that.

Totally agree with that suggestion.

And yes, I think MDC has decided to ignore our dismay on this!greensad.gif
Night_Nurse likes this.

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page