Thumbs Up and Reputation: What's it all about? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

As some of you have already noticed, we recently rolled out a new kind of email notification on Mothering: when someone gives a thumbs-up to something you posted, you will get an email telling you about it. Because we want you to know when your posts are being offered a visible mark of appreciation for sharing your advice, knowledge and experience. 

The Power is in Your Thumbs!

We're eager to send out as many of these email notifications as possible - but in order to do that we first need your Thumbs-Ups! The majority of forum users are readers and content consumers, and Mothering is not exception to that. We know a lot of you busy mamas don't have time to post and are often here looking for a quick and good answer to a problem you have. If you've found that good answer - or simply read a great post by a fellow user - take that extra couple of seconds to give it a thumbs-up. The more thumbs-ups you give, the more we can show your appreciation and gratitude to those who put in the time to post and indirectly helped you out. 

When to Give a Thumbs-up?

• an informative post
  • a useful answer
  • a great recipe
  • someone helping another user 
  • someone doing something good (as the user in the screenshot above)
  • a witty or humorous comment
  • a great resource based on a lot of research
  • to show appreciation / comraderie
  • to say "I like this!" 
  • to say "thank you!" 
  • and generally when you read something you think is helpful.

What's Next? 

Every time someone gives you a thumbs-up, a point is added to your "Reputation" (we're choosing a new name for it so please vote here). On your profile and postbit, people can see how much "reputation" you've received from the community. Reputation can be grouped in "levels" based on how many points have been accumulated: 500, 1,000, etc.

Here in Judy Arnall's postbit is a mockup of  where you will be able to see the reputation level displayed. 

We can also enable a section in your profile page where you can view your thumbs-up report to show how many total thumbs-ups you have, for what posts you received them, from whom, and any comments that were left. 

We'd love to hear what you think! We want to discuss it a bit first so we can answer any questions you have and work out how we might want to tweak things so they will work best for us. Feel free to share your thoughts and ask any questions. We'll take everything into consideration, as we decide how to implement "Reputation" display. 

#2 of 8 Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

For those of us who don't prefer to use the email notifications, will we still be notified online, or will we have to dig into our profile to find something new?  

When I subscribe to a forum, I choose site-only notifications for updates.  I don't often use the email address that my account is linked to, so it's easier for me just to log on to MDC and go from there.  It would be nice to have options for this as well.  

I like the idea of being notified about "likes" on posts, because it seems almost pointless when it's your own post-- I don't often go back and read it, but I do notice when other posts receive a "like" or several, and will regularly click to see who did it.  I think I would use the function more myself, if I knew that the user could notice that I liked their post, like on FB. 

Monica S likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 8 Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

We're throttling these email notifications: at most, you will get one rep notification email until the next time you visit the site. I think the email option has been there from the start of the thumbs up feature but only recently were email notifications launched. So if you don't want them emailed to you, just go to your profile and uncheck that. 

#4 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1. when you give a thumbs up you have the option of adding a comment.  

if you don't add the comment right away, you no longer have the option of adding one later.  is it possible to keep it?

2.  can giving the thumbs up be a one-click process - currently you click on the thumb AND you have to click on "add to reputation" 

cynthia mosher and Monica S like this.

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#5 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

After testing it for awhile, we've decided to disable the comment box altogether for two reasons: 1) By disabling it thumbs up becomes a simple one-click action, making it a smoother and simpler action. 2) Comments are better when made directly to the thread, simply because it is more visible. love.gif

Monica S likes this.

#6 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I'd love to get everyone's input about changing the name of "Reputation". Here's the poll: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1385290/kudos-thumbs-up-or/0_100

#7 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

After testing it for awhile, we've decided to disable the comment box altogether for two reasons: 1) By disabling it thumbs up becomes a simple one-click action, making it a smoother and simpler action. 2) Comments are better when made directly to the thread, simply because it is more visible. love.gif

Thank you for taking the comment box out. Before reading this article and discussion, I've tried clicking on the thumbs up, and didn't know what to write so I didn't quite know what to do. (I guess I'm used to "Like" on Facebook, where I don't have to write anything.) Now I will feel more comfortable giving ladies the thumbs up.

cynthia mosher and Harmony96 like this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#8 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I totally agree Catholic Mama. You can always post any verbal comments directly to the thread so it was an unnecessary feature. 

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page