Kudos, Thumbs-up, or...? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What should we name the Reputation feature?
Kudos 25 29.07%
Thumbs-up 51 59.30%
Other (please post your suggestion) 10 11.63%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I like "a like." With the widespread familiarity with Facebook, I don't imagine that many people would misinterpret a sentence such as, "Limabean gave you a like for your comment in Parenting" as anything other than intended. Even my DH who has never been on FB in his life knows what a "like" is and wouldn't confuse it with "alike."

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Also a good point, limabean. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I like "a like." With the widespread familiarity with Facebook, I don't imagine that many people would misinterpret a sentence such as, "Limabean gave you a like for your comment in Parenting" as anything other than intended. Even my DH who has never been on FB in his life knows what a "like" is and wouldn't confuse it with "alike."

The only issue is that we need to have an unquantifiable noun, since it will be used in different areas of the site, not just in the copy used in the email notification. That's because the system was built to work with the word "Reputation" which is unquantifiable. If we used "A Like" - the sentence in the email notification would sound correct, but other instances on the site where this information would show up (e.g. user postbit or user profile) would look weird, as it will also say "A Like" instead of the more correct Likes or Kudos or Reputation. 

Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Thanks for the clarification Monica. So it would show as "150 A Likes" in the postbit or profile?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Hahaha - yeah, same here. 

If the sentence structure can't change, maybe it could be "a like"? As in "Kitchensqueen gave you a like on your post...." I just think that "like" is the most accurate way to describe the intent of the feature. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I like likes. :)

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

If you wanted a word that sounds similar to reputation, you could call it recognition.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica S View Post

The only issue is that we need to have an unquantifiable noun, since it will be used in different areas of the site, not just in the copy used in the email notification. That's because the system was built to work with the word "Reputation" which is unquantifiable. If we used "A Like" - the sentence in the email notification would sound correct, but other instances on the site where this information would show up (e.g. user postbit or user profile) would look weird, as it will also say "A Like" instead of the more correct Likes or Kudos or Reputation. 
In that case, I like mad props the best again.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 AM

Kudos is good, or "cookies" ;) I always like to get cookies.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlin View Post

Kudos is good, or "cookies" ;) I always like to get cookies.

Except the term "cookies" already has a specific meaning on the internet.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I liked "a like" until it was mentioned that it wouldn't be grammatically correct in other instances on the site so I'm back to "thumbs up" as I've never been a fan of the word "kudos" I don't know what it is about that word that just makes me want to scream shy.gif

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

I liked "a like" until it was mentioned that it wouldn't be grammatically correct in other instances on the site so I'm back to "thumbs up" as I've never been a fan of the word "kudos" I don't know what it is about that word that just makes me want to scream shy.gif

Yeah, something about the word "kudos," despite the definition listed upthread, feels too much like a pat on the head, as in, "Congrats for having that thought!" lol.gif

I think "likes" could work, as in, "Limabean gave you likes for your post in Parenting," but thumbs-up or props work for me too.

Of course, even better would be to eliminate the extra words and have it just be, "Limabean likes your post in Parenting," but it sounds like the phrasing is written in e-stone?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How about applause?

dust.gif

DDX5 '88 '90 '92 '97 '99. TR 5/2011. HSG 9/2011 R TUBE OPEN. HSG 5/12 both tubes closed. SECOND tubal reversal surgery 7/12 , CP 3/2013 ttc "our" first @40 DH 46.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Except the term "cookies" already has a specific meaning on the internet.

Brownies then? yummy.gif

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 PM

Another forum I'm on that has a similar thing calls it "thanks."

Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 PM

How about Hugs? Sometimes that's what I want to give someone when I push that. Though isn't that what another parenting site uses? I wish there was a Hug and a Like both, because sometimes I don't want to hug, just like.... So thumbs up might be better?

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hugs is more of a sympathy response isn't it? Generally when I see someone start their reply with "Hugs, mama" it is because the OP is having a hard time.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 AM

So I just got some "reputation" today. orngbiggrin.gif

I think that something that clearly connotes "I liked this post because it was awesome and the community needs to see its awesomeness" type of thing would be best, because I got some reputation just this morning, and when I went to my post, the little thing says "See who found this helpful."

Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Appreciation? It's the same type of word as reputation, doesn't make me feel like I'm bestowing gold stars on people but lets people simply know I like their posts.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM

I like "mad props." Or even just "props" would be cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Mad props makes me laugh.  But I'm not sure I would understand it out of context.  And it's short for...?

I know Cynthia already gave a definition, but just for a little more info, "props" is short for "propers" or "proper respect." As in, Aretha Franklin's Respect:

"I'm about to give you all of my money / And all I'm askin' in return, honey / Is to give me my propers / When you get home"

(Oddly, several lyrics pages that I found online said "give me my profits," which is incorrect and doesn't even make sense.)

"Mad" just means "very" or "a lot." Urban Dictionary compared it to "hella" from California, or "wicked" from Boston. (In case you can't tell, I love language!)

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleepotter View Post

I like "mad props." Or even just "props" would be cool.
I know Cynthia already gave a definition, but just for a little more info, "props" is short for "propers" or "proper respect." As in, Aretha Franklin's Respect:

"I'm about to give you all of my money / And all I'm askin' in return, honey / Is to give me my propers / When you get home"

(Oddly, several lyrics pages that I found online said "give me my profits," which is incorrect and doesn't even make sense.)

It always sounded like "problems" to me, LOL.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My vote is for "props" or "mad props,"  but "a like" will do. 

Old 07-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

If you don't like the connotations around "Thumbs-up", how about "High-Five"?

I also like "kudos." 

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
"Kudos" makes me think of that candy bar or granola bar or whatever it was that we ate alot as kids. I don't like it at all for this purpose. Besides, "thumbs up" has such a cute little icon already. What would the icon be for "kudos"?

I vote for mad props. Seriously. And I'm gonna give kudos to the person who suggested it!

Bring back the old MDC
Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

What would the icon be for "kudos"?
A dessert-ish granola bar, of course. lol.gif:

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like Mad Props or Props

Kudos is also nice

Like is good too.

Really, I like all the suggestions, so that isn't terribly helpful is it?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM

i actually really like the current "reputation" b/c it connotes that you are reputable, which is far different from being popular, snarky, or any things that are normally used on other sites (where mob mentality can frequently sort rudeness to the top). i like that we want to encourage people to post things that are wise, helpful, compassionate, etc. (which makes this site sit far above pretty much any other forum site i've ever been a part of), and that we consider someone reputable who does this. it is an evaluation of the quality of their comment, as opposed to being randomly congratulatory. it just really struck me as yet another way that mothering rises above the rest of the chatter online, and "like", "kudos", and "thumbs up" all feel generic, and would not set give that same feeling of setting a higher bar. well, that's my two cents!

will be TTC in late 2014 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI. queer, 32. DW is 41.  married 10 yrs. 

and soon          
Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filamentary View Post

i actually really like the current "reputation" b/c it connotes that you are reputable, which is far different from being popular, snarky, or any things that are normally used on other sites (where mob mentality can frequently sort rudeness to the top). i like that we want to encourage people to post things that are wise, helpful, compassionate, etc. (which makes this site sit far above pretty much any other forum site i've ever been a part of), and that we consider someone reputable who does this.

That's an interesting take on it. I agree that the word carries that connotation, but I'm not sure it plays out that way in practice. People tend to click the thumbs up icon just to indicate that they agree with a post, even if they only agree because it was a particularly eloquent way of snarking at another poster, you know?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I vote for mad props. I also like cred.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM

on first inspection, i like "cred", b/c it carries the same connotation as "reputation". to have, for instance, "street cred" means that you have a good reputation. but "cred" is short for "credentials", and that's far more formal-sounding than "reputation". if they just put "cred", though, they'll inevitably have to explain to some people that it doesn't stand for "credit", that it's not a redeemable unit of credit or anything like that. and even beyond that, it is imprecise. we've earned credentials? of what variety? reputation, on the other hand, is exactly what we are saying. the more times someone clicks the icon after something you've said, the more highly reputed you are. and likewise, the more reputable a given comment you make in another thread (where perhaps folks aren't familiar with you) can be considered to be.

if we wanna get away from all this formality stuff, though, how bout something ridiculously cute like "bump", (cute the eye rolls please!) b/c it brings to mind both fist bumps and baby bumps? orngbiggrin.gif

will be TTC in late 2014 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI. queer, 32. DW is 41.  married 10 yrs. 

and soon          
Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filamentary View Post

if we wanna get away from all this formality stuff, though, how bout something ridiculously cute like "bump", (cute the eye rolls please!) b/c it brings to mind both fist bumps and baby bumps? orngbiggrin.gif

Clever! It also brings to mind bumping a thread to the top. smile.gif

ETA: I thought "cred" was short for credibility. You're right that mods would have to explain it.

Tags
Mothering Help
User Tag List