Question about advertising - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 09-22-2013, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

well I get the mac and cheese ad I think because I post of my shopping and having a child. but not nesscary on this site most of my posting is on facebook. I posted about my son's ADD on facebook and here I get the phzier ads so I guess it saves it in your browser. I erased my cookies recently but still get them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Hi ladies. :)

We sell a certain percentage of the ads - stuff that is really well targeted, like Ergo, Hyland's, etc.  And then we have the ad service ads.  Those are based on your cookies, sites you may have recently visited, and they show different for a lot of people.  A while back I got nothing but TV ads for shows like Mistresses because I had visited a TV site. LOL So, those we don't have control over.  

Pretty sure this is not true in this case. There are some ads that are clearly targeted at me specifically based on past searches. But the Kraft ads, Twix ads, and ADHD medications I only see here because I'm not searching for anything related, and the fact that many of us are seeing the exact same ad implies that it isn't targeted at individuals.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#33 of 36 Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

well after the  adblocker was added to my browser i'm still getting the adhd ad. and can't say that isn't my browser but I did erase my cookies. I don't mind most of the ads the kraft one drives me up the wall.

#34 of 36 Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm currently seeing flu vaccine ads.  I know MDC is not anti-vax, but rather informed consent, but this seems problematic to me.

#35 of 36 Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waimeagirl View Post

I guess it strikes a cord in me because that equation is faulty. There is nothing wholesome and natural about Kraft Mac n cheese. I understand advertising needs to happen but for anyone who comes to this sight who maybe does not have a strong educational back ground, or passion for making informed choices would make the assumption that because Mothering supports them as advertisers that it must be wholesome and natural.
It is more than a little discouraging that a site dedicated to natural living and a beacon of light for wholesome living can make any correlation to a shelf stable, chemically laden food imposter as a wholesome choice for nutrition.
Super disappointing....makes my heart ache a little that a magazine and site I have had so much respect for has gone the way of big box advertisers. ; (

I agree with this.  I understand the need to bring in revenue, but I don't want to visit a site that takes money from companies that I don't believe in.  I don't want to support that financial relationship with my mouse clicks.  I don't have super strong feelings about Kraft.  We don't buy it, but I can think of worse sponsors.  I've gotten angry in the past about some of the ads that pop up, and I just want to encourage MDC and the ad supplier to develop a better filter for ads, and do more direct ad sales (like the ergo, etc. that totally fit the identity of the site).

#36 of 36 Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I see the exact same ads on Backyard Chickens, which uses the same platform as MDC.  Unfortunately for the advertisers, I have learned to avoid looking at them and only get irritated when I have to navigate around them to move between subscriptions, etc.  so I don't trigger the video on the hover ads.  I never even noticed that was a vax ad until someone pointed it out.  

The vax ad really does cross the line, since it comes in conflict with a stated position (can you imagine an ad for a CIO book, or a "hands on" discipline book?  Or a "Circ At Home!" kit?)  At some point, I agree the question needs to be asked about what kind of money is made by these stock ads, and secondly, whether the company that offers them can't target better.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating , Advertising

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page