I'm not vaccinating forum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

Hi Cynthia and other powers that be,

As I am sure you are very aware, we often have difficulty on the INV forum with new posters posting to INV inappropriately.  Sometimes the posters are genuine and are just a little lost (it can happen to new people!) but sometimes they are more deliberate interlopers trying to tell us all that we are bad parents and ill informed.  

While there has been a flare up in interloper-with-an-agenda activity in the last week or so, the problem is a long standing one and after consulting with those on the INV forum, I have an idea.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1396900/would-you-like-a-private-forum/40#post_17561957

What do you think of having the first 20 posts to INV be held in a queue pending moderator approval before posting?  

What do you think of the number 20 - too high, low, just right?

I wonder if the Vax on schedule has this need as well?  

If you are low on volunteers, I have no issue with vetting new posts on INV.  I also have no issues if you want the regular mod to do it, or someone else.  I just want to remove obstacles to getting it done.

In any grey-zone issue, I would defer to a mod.  (example, a genuine, established MDC member who is pro-vax but is also being truly supportive) .

Thanks and I await your opinion,

Kathy

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 11 Old 02-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I think that's a great idea!  However, mods might not have time to make that work.  I've been in forums where, by the time my moderated post was posted, the conversation had moved 2-3 pages, and my post was effectively lost from the conversation.

Kathy's point that this is a long-standing issue that needs to be addressed is spot-on.

Would it be possible to have a fast-track "this needs to be dealt with ASAP" button to separate reports of trolls and really,really offensive comments (like the recent KR debacle) from the reports of spam, mildly offensive comments, and infractions?  And, to head off overuse, some clear guidelines as to when it can be used, with a penalty for stepping over those guidelines?

We don't want to stop debate and discussion, but we also want to feel safe here, and we don't want newbies scared off by trolls (and the recent influx of trolls has been unusually vicious).

#3 of 11 Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Thanks for bringing the request over here. :thumb

What you are requesting is possible but it would apply to all forums. We don't have the functionality to apply it only to specific forums. We could request the feature but whether or not it is developed is up to Huddler, who owns the platform. If they did decide to develop it, it is a long process and many other features are already in line in the dev list of priorities.

The best solution is to set up a Group for INV. The leaders of the group would have full control over allowing members in or not and removing someone from the group. Would that work?

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#4 of 11 Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Bummer.

I was pretty sure that when I quit and then rejoined, I had posts held in queue for moderation as I was new.  

Does that feature not exist anymore?

The idea of a group is not as popular as a hold queue as most want genuine newbies to have a place to go for support.  I suppose we could have both.  Would you worry a group drawing traffic away from the public INV - or is that not a big concern?

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Yes, it does exist but it works globally. If we set it to hold the first 20 posts it will not let new members post in any forum and we'd have to manually approve every post to any forum. I'm not willing to impose that. 

It is simple enough to join a group. So newbies can do so easily and post right away. You can leave the group open and simply remove anyone who posts in a way that is detrimental to the groups purpose. I have no concerns about it drawing traffic away from the forum. 

HappyHappyMommy and Monica S like this.

#6 of 11 Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Any decision on this? Do the INV members want to form a Group?

anonmother likes this.

#7 of 11 Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my opinion, this topic is quite important, a very difficult decision for many-it was for me. Our community would be well served by input from all points of view. Personal experiences, factors influencing your decisions...whatever you are comfortable sharing.
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love a group, but I'm not sure if it will resolve my issue as of late, which is too heavy moderation in the support forums. I understand the need in the general forum, but I was surprised at what is considered name calling in the INV forum. Will we be subjected to the same level of moderation in the group? I don't like inflammatory language (sheeple, free-rider), but I would like the freedom to be able to say that I have a finger pointed at me, because I am really feeling it right now. The last two weeks have been awful for us NVers.
Turquesa and aggie pop like this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#9 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Yes you would be subject to the same moderation. General board rules and posting guidelines are applied to all forums and groups. 

#10 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to know how it would be mod-ed as well. I love the idea of a private group for non vaxers. It is such a contentious issue, and we don't have a lot of support in the real world. The INV board is a land mine. I think it's important to keep it active for helping newbies, answering questions and posting information, but I personally am not comfortable talking about too much relating to my kids. I think there should definitely be a posting minimum and a general feeling of comfort before letting someone join though.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#11 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1327212/social-groups-are-here

Just thought I would link this here for a bit more information on social groups.

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page