Website Conversion - Please Read - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
What do the envelopes and green and black arrows mean in on the subscribed thread page? They don't seem clickable, and there's no explanation if you hover over them. (Maybe this is what SweetSilver was referring to, too?)

Also, what happened to tagging users using the @? I frankly found it annoying, but I'm wondering if it is or is not still a feature.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
What do the envelopes and green and black arrows mean in on the subscribed thread page? They don't seem clickable, and there's no explanation if you hover over them. (Maybe this is what SweetSilver was referring to, too?)

Also, what happened to tagging users using the @? I frankly found it annoying, but I'm wondering if it is or is not still a feature.
@monkeyscience yes, that feature is enabled. I'll let Jeff (this is Mark, one of the techs) explain that feature.

Mark
Old 05-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
AGREED! Wow, glad I read this. NOT happy that my full birthdate has been hanging out in public without my knowledge. Worse, it was kind of a pain to find out how to hide it. Weirdly, it's not under "Profile Privacy" settings, but rather a setting under editing my personal details.
Looks like from the import the feature was enabled. We've notified Huddler and we're having all birthdays for all users mass-hidden now, will be corrected shortly.

Mark

Edit: correction, all birthdays are now hidden.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Looks like from the import the feature was enabled. We've notified Huddler and we're having all birthdays for all users mass-hidden now, will be corrected shortly.

Mark

Edit: correction, all birthdays are now hidden.
Thank you. Annoying navigation is one thing, privacy is something else altogether. Glad that has been quickly addressed!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Photo not showing?

ETA: There it is.

ETA: Now it's gone again. Can you see it?
Your avatar? I can see it.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you. Annoying navigation is one thing, privacy is something else altogether. Glad that has been quickly addressed!
Completely agree, and just in case it wasn't clear, that was completely unintentional. We're working closely with Huddler to get all these conversion import issues fixed (and we're camped here to make sure we get it right!)

For those asking about subscribe threads and jumping to the last post, VBulletin has an arrow on the desktop version but it looks like we don't have that on mobile. I'm going to have our designers have a look at that and see if we can add that. Get you to the posts you want to read faster.

Mark

Edit: I'm noticing that on the mobile version on my android there's a grey arrow on the very right when you choose your subscribed threads. That seems to take me to the last post of the thread. Those having this issue mind  confirming if that resolves what you were asking?

Last edited by verticalscope; 05-29-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenglow View Post
I have settings to show messages as linear - oldest first. This is how it has always been. However, before the site upgrade, when I clicked on a thread to view it, it would jump to my unread replies in the thread.

Since the site upgrade, my subscribed threads don't seem to do this.....so then I am scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to find the unread reply. Is there a setting I can modify to get it back to the old way?
I figured out how to jump to the last post. But how do I restore the setting that would automatically take me to my last UNREAD post (which would be the start of several unread posts.....but not necessarily the LAST post, kwim?)
Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I agree that the mobile version could use improvements. With all the screen clutter, the desktop version is hard to follow on my iPad, but the mobile version is just lacking.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

@monkeyscience

Yes it is still an option and the other black arrows are explained in the attachment below. If you scroll down there is a key showing what each is for.
Attached Images
File Type: png subscribed.png (8.4 KB, 10 views)

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
Old 05-29-2014, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
What are the envelopes with the arrows and exclamation points for on the left? Is there a place where I can read what all these are about?

And can we save drafts anymore? That feature was a lifesaver in my house (MAAAAAAMAAAAAAA!!! WHEN WILL YOU BEEEE DOOOOOOOONE!!??!!)

ETA: JUST READ ABOVE POST. Still want to know the second

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
What are the envelopes with the arrows and exclamation points for on the left? Is there a place where I can read what all these are about?

And can we save drafts anymore? That feature was a lifesaver in my house (MAAAAAAMAAAAAAA!!! WHEN WILL YOU BEEEE DOOOOOOOONE!!??!!)
See attachment above.

You can preview post which will show you the reply.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 PM

But I can't save it to come back to later to post? We had a section that saved unposted drafts. I found it incredibly useful once I figured out how to use it. And I liked that I could navigate off the reply page, say to research a link, then return to the page and there was my draft. Off to try it now to see if it at least saves what I've written without posting.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
But I can't save it to come back to later to post? We had a section that saved unposted drafts. I found it incredibly useful once I figured out how to use it. And I liked that I could navigate off the reply page, say to research a link, then return to the page and there was my draft. Off to try it now to see if it at least saves what I've written without posting.
Understood,

I will look into what other options or plug ins are available tomorrow when I get up to sync with the team in the am.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 PM

I thought something (else) was funny in my subscriptions, and it took me awhile to figure out what it was... all of the subscribed threads from my DDC are missing. I'm not seeing any other options for finding them on the subscription page, either. Will those ultimately be reintegrated back in to the subscriptions? Half the threads (or more) that I've posted in lately are from my DDC, and I'd definitely like to know if there are new replies there.

(And now I swear I'm going to bed - I typed "new supplies" the first time I attempted the sentence above...)

PCOS
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is there going to be a New Posts link? That's been there for as long as I've been on MDC, even as platforms have changed, and it's the way I usually view what's new on MDC. I don't just want to view my subscribed threads, and I don't want to have to click on specific forums one after the other; I want to scan the list of everything that's new since I last visited.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM

Just tried it and nope, gone. So that's a big downer for me.

Main complaints: I've lost my navigation tools.

1. Subscribed threads listed a link to the forum. I could move to the forum activity from my subscribed threads instead of just going to the thread. Plus it was nice simply to see what forum. I see this is the active posts page (which I can't adjust to show only those forums I am interested in) but not on my "subscribe threads" page.

2. I was able to subscribe to forums, and I could watch the activity on just those forums. Now I can only subscribe to threads?

3. I could navigate not only from the links on the top of the page, but on the bottom of the page. There was a lot of redundancy every where that made it easy not to have to scroll up to the top of the page to navigate to another spot.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
I thought something (else) was funny in my subscriptions, and it took me awhile to figure out what it was... all of the subscribed threads from my DDC are missing. I'm not seeing any other options for finding them on the subscription page, either. Will those ultimately be reintegrated back in to the subscriptions? Half the threads (or more) that I've posted in lately are from my DDC, and I'd definitely like to know if there are new replies there.

(And now I swear I'm going to bed - I typed "new supplies" the first time I attempted the sentence above...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Is there going to be a New Posts link? That's been there for as long as I've been on MDC, even as platforms have changed, and it's the way I usually view what's new on MDC. I don't just want to view my subscribed threads, and I don't want to have to click on specific forums one after the other; I want to scan the list of everything that's new since I last visited.
Let me check with the team in the morning and I will see what we can do.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh, I just found New Posts under Tools. But it would be better if it were a bit easier to get to, the way it was before the conversion.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 PM

Nevermind. Not working.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Just tried it and nope, gone. So that's a big downer for me.

Main complaints: I've lost my navigation tools.

1. Subscribed threads listed a link to the forum. I could move to the forum activity from my subscribed threads instead of just going to the thread. Plus it was nice simply to see what forum. I see this is the active posts page (which I can't adjust to show only those forums I am interested in) but not on my "subscribe threads" page.

2. I was able to subscribe to forums, and I could watch the activity on just those forums. Now I can only subscribe to threads?

3. I could navigate not only from the links on the top of the page, but on the bottom of the page. There was a lot of redundancy every where that made it easy not to have to scroll up to the top of the page to navigate to another spot.

@SweetSilver

There are some navigational/editing plug ins that we may be able to add that will solve some of these problems. Once the rest of the team is online tomorrow morning I will look into it and report back.

Thanks for the practice and feedback.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I hate change!!!!!!!! Why????!!!??

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
In the user settings I found a way to have my default reply include some formatting tools. That is helpful. I no longer see the text only option.

On the mobile version for private messages there is no confirmation message that your message was sent.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 PM

Also I forgot my password. When I went through the retrieval process I got an email with a link. It said to click the link and I would be taken to a page which would email me a new password

If you have the website set to mobile this process doesn't work.

However when I set it to desktop it did work and emailed me a new password.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 PM

Why is it so cumbersome to read my subscriptions? There should be an option in the drop down, that's the best part of mothering. Very
Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am a mobile only user and I find the entire set up utterly confusing.
1) I can't get to my DDC without going into the "I'm Pregnant" forum first.
2) I can't tell anymore which threads I've read and am up-to-date on.
3) it isn't jumping to the place I left off when I open a thread.
4) the snippet it shows before you click on the thread is now the original post and not most recent.
5) I see no option for adding a photo to my reply.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 PM

It doesn't highlight unread additions to subscriptions?! Eek
Old 05-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola P View Post
Why is it so cumbersome to read my subscriptions? There should be an option in the drop down, that's the best part of mothering. Very
There is an option for subscriptions in the Tools drop down in the nag bar.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Based on all the feedback:

I've added something now so that when you click a thread title from the forum homepage or from any forum, you'll be taken to your last position in that thread automatically. And this also works for subscriptions.

And it now works on the Active Topics page too (http://www.mothering.com/index.php?page=active_topics)

Last edited by verticalscope; 05-29-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I can't access a mobile version at all.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 PM

I see the same mobile / desktop image in the footer as before. You don't see it there?

User Tag List