#61 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie2727 View Post
I can't access a mobile version at all.
If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of any page there are two buttons at the bottom. Click on Mobile to get the mobile version.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#62 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Why fix what's not broken??? The before version was user friendly and clear, now I don't even like the way it looks. And it's not about "resisting changes", since I've happily welcomed changes in forums with big flaws. Mothering was wonderful. This is not OK.
#63 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I haven't had much of a chance to explore the new look yet, but one thing I noticed is that the due date clubs are not very visually appealing. The main forum looks much better, but the DDCs are the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. I'm hoping there's still some kinks to iron out and this will be fixed soon?
Reposting this question since it seems to be missed. Will ddcs be fixed? I can't imagine leaving them like that!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#64 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Reposting this question since it seems to be missed. Will ddcs be fixed? I can't imagine leaving them like that!
Ditto this as well.
#65 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It might be good to let you know that many of us are checking in one-handed on mobile devices while doing something else with the other hand. We only have short snippets of time throughout the day to visit the sight, so making things simple and incredibly fast to navigate is very important. Especially when pregnancy hormones are in the mix. : )
Oh, and it takes me up to 4 or 5 visits to finish a reply sometimes so the save feature on replies is vital!
Thanks for letting us know what happened and being responsive.
I feel bad I am giving negative feedback, but at this point I feel like the new platform is way too complicated to navigate.
alpenglow and beckybird like this.
#66 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anablis View Post
Why fix what's not broken??? The before version was user friendly and clear, now I don't even like the way it looks. And it's not about "resisting changes", since I've happily welcomed changes in forums with big flaws. Mothering was wonderful. This is not OK.
Agreed! I feel completely lost trying to find my way around and the site is less visually appealing.
beckybird likes this.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#67 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapigeon View Post
Agreed! I feel completely lost trying to find my way around and the site is less visually appealing.
I agree, I've seen great and thriving forums crash and burn after changes like this because people would rather go elsewhere than learn/deal with something more complicated.
Our forums were fine before, why are you changing them?
beckybird likes this.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#68 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quoting myself since my original post was overlooked. I'd really like my tag back since it's supposed to be active for a whole year and it hasn't even been a few months yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
My advertising tag is gone.
dmariev likes this.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#69 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 PM

None of my DDC threads are showing up in my subscriptions, and that's mostly what I'm here for right now.

Digging through menus to get to these subscriptions is also troublesome... I liked the big ol red notification of how many threads with new posts there were... Not only is that gone, I have to go spelunking to find "subscriptions" at all.

It would be nice to have the options of first, last, and first unread post from both the desktop and mobile sites, I'm having trouble getting anything but "first' to work on either.

Inability to format, use links and emoticons, post pictures (without knowing/remembering the html to do so) from the mobile interface is also a downgrade.

I also went nuts all day today because I had no idea in advance that the site would be down, and there was no estimation of when it would be back up, and I'm a nearly 39 week pregnant lady with not much to do but check and post MDC forums with a bit of OCDish zeal.
mamapigeon likes this.
#70 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Chances are nothing was overlooked. Everyone is in the Rastern time zone, so likely they are heading to bed, and will be back bright and early.

Changes can be tough to navigate, especially big ones. We are listening and taking things into consideration. Try to extend a little big of patience as we get things worked out.
journeymom likes this.
#71 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primalmom View Post
None of my DDC threads are showing up in my subscriptions, and that's mostly what I'm here for right now.
Yeah, the being visibly ugly that i mentioned before aside, the ddcs don't seem to be integrated into the forum very well. i've never paid attention to the subscription "section" simply because I have my settings set so that if i post to a thread, i get immediate email notifications. But that has stopped for my ddc today, even though when i visited earlier i could see that there was a new post in a thread i posted in. Signatures are gone too.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#72 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 PM

And I'm now getting email when someone quotes me? Guess I have a lot of preferences to reconfigure...

Also, it looks like just uploading a photo isn't a possibility anymore, it needs to be hosted elsewhere and you need the URL in order to share it... Guess I'm not posting any more "bump" pics or the pic I'd been hoping to post all day of my carseat with a red furry Muppet as my "strap test dummy"...

Last edited by primalmom; 05-29-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: because autocorrect is awesome.... not!
#73 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't had much of a chance to explore the new look yet, but one thing I noticed is that the due date clubs are not very visually appealing. The main forum looks much better, but the DDCs are the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. I'm hoping there's still some kinks to iron out and this will be fixed soon?
DDCs are definitely going to be worked on. I.d like to see the come into the new forum and made that request. Huddler did not have the capability to import them into forums. I'm hoping we can do it now on the new platform. It's a to-do but will take some time as we work through the functionality needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
And will our custom "banning" titles be imported, or were those just lost?
We missed this and I have reported it. We will either get it fixed or we will replace them or give you the ability to do so yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post
I have a supporting membership and even though I'm logged in, I'm seeing all the ads. Will ad-free viewing be back?
I think it's a group permissions thing we need to address. Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenglow View Post
I have settings to show messages as linear - oldest first. This is how it has always been. However, before the site upgrade, when I clicked on a thread to view it, it would jump to my unread replies in the thread.

Since the site upgrade, my subscribed threads don't seem to do this.....so then I am scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to find the unread reply. Is there a setting I can modify to get it back to the old way?
If you're asking about the linear-oldest first you can change that in your UserCP. On the left column Settings & Options -> Edit Options. Scroll down to Thread Display Options and you'll find it there: Thread Display Mode

Quote:
My advertising tag is gone.
Noted and will be resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Can't I subscribe to forums? What happened to our "activity" page for active feeds of subscribed forums? That was my "go to" spot, now it's gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post
Wow this must be a huge job!

I appreciate how much work this is. Good luck.
It is a huge job. Thanks for acknowledging this. Moving is always difficult and we've only done it about four times in Mothering's 16 year history, this being the fourth time. We were on the vBulletin platform for many years and loved it so I think once we work out all the kinks everyone will come to love it too. The nice thing about vBulletin is that though it is a platform it is a stand alone installation on your site. So it can be modified to your community's needs. We may lose a few things that we can modify to go back to exactly as it was but I think we can addrss most everything and we will have lots of options for new things we'd love to have that were not available to us on on previous platform.

Quote:
Wow this must be a huge job!

A few things
1. Birth date in our profiles should be defaulted to private not fully public showing age and birth date.
2. When I reply to a pm the reply field is always peeled with a quote of the message. It should be blank unless we click quote.
3. I used to only use the mobile version but it is not fully functional now. Will it be enhanced?
4. Can private message be threaded again so you can look at a whole conversation?
5. Forum threads are in reverse order with newest first. Can we flip that in the settings somewhere?
6. Does the concept of forum subscriptions exist on this forum now?
7. Will our paid memberships be brought over so ads can be turned off?
1. Already done.
2. Noted and will report.
3. I believe that is being worked on but if you could list the functionality in the mobile version that you are having issues with it would help us make sure we address everything.
4. Requested but it may be something that comes later. The current auto quote feature provides a quoted version of a threaded reply in the PM but I know the multiple PM reply messages are annoying.
5. Do you mean when you are in a forum you want to see the oldest thread in the forum at the top of the list rather than the newset? You can change the sorting by clicking on any of these titles at the top of the forum threads list:
Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Reverse Sort Order Replies Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
Are smilies going to be available again in quick reply? I thought they were totally gone, but apparently they still exist in the advanced reply. Annoying to have to go there just for smilies.
Yes, we have that in the list already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
I thought something (else) was funny in my subscriptions, and it took me awhile to figure out what it was... all of the subscribed threads from my DDC are missing. I'm not seeing any other options for finding them on the subscription page, either. Will those ultimately be reintegrated back in to the subscriptions? Half the threads (or more) that I've posted in lately are from my DDC, and I'd definitely like to know if there are new replies there.
Noted and reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Is there going to be a New Posts link? That's been there for as long as I've been on MDC, even as platforms have changed, and it's the way I usually view what's new on MDC. I don't just want to view my subscribed threads, and I don't want to have to click on specific forums one after the other; I want to scan the list of everything that's new since I last visited.
Hover over the Tools button up top and you'll see it.

Quote:
Yes, as soon as we can get the more urgent things addressed we will look at how to improve the DDCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
I agree that the mobile version could use improvements. With all the screen clutter, the desktop version is hard to follow on my iPad, but the mobile version is just lacking.
A list of the problems you're having would be a great help!
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#74 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Sorry if I'm overlapping with replies but I want to make sure everyone's question gets attention and a response so we don't miss anything.

Quote:
Also I forgot my password. When I went through the retrieval process I got an email with a link. It said to click the link and I would be taken to a page which would email me a new password

If you have the website set to mobile this process doesn't work.

However when I set it to desktop it did work and emailed me a new password.
That's probably a bug and we'll get it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineuponline View Post
I am a mobile only user and I find the entire set up utterly confusing.
1) I can't get to my DDC without going into the "I'm Pregnant" forum first.
2) I can't tell anymore which threads I've read and am up-to-date on.
3) it isn't jumping to the place I left off when I open a thread.
4) the snippet it shows before you click on the thread is now the original post and not most recent.
5) I see no option for adding a photo to my reply.
Thanks for this list. This is really hepful and we can use input like this to address the individual issues. The Huddler mobile version and the vBulletin version have some differences. SOmetimes it's a carry over issue that just needs to be adjusted. Other things may need to be added in as a feature. We're compiling a list of everything and will try to address each one.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
I agree, I've seen great and thriving forums crash and burn after changes like this because people would rather go elsewhere than learn/deal with something more complicated.
Our forums were fine before, why are you changing them?
I know change is hard and I'm sorry it's so frustrating for you. It is for all of us but we are also very optomistic.

We were on vBulletin a few years back and switched to the Huddler platform due to our partnership with them, a necessary step at the time. It was a difficult change because our community loved using vBulletin. Now back on vBulletin I am missing many things we had on Huddler. So we have some work ahead of us to make it feel comfortable again. But as I said in my previous post, we will have much more freedom to add features and even customize things as we wish. We are now back on vBulletin because our partnership with Huddler ended and we can't continue to stay on their platform. So please hang in there with us, help us pinpoint the issues, and we will do our best to work on everything.

Quote:
Quoting myself since my original post was overlooked. I'd really like my tag back since it's supposed to be active for a whole year and it hasn't even been a few months yet.
This has been reported. We will get it resolved.

Quote:
Signatures are gone too.
I see signatures just fine. Anyone else not seeing signatures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalmom View Post
And I'm now getting email when someone quotes me? Guess I have a lot of preferences to reconfigure...

Also, it looks like just uploading a photo isn't a possibility anymore, it needs to be hosted elsewhere and you need the URL in order to share it... Guess I'm not posting any more "bump" pics or the pic I'd been hoping to post all day of my carseat with a red furry Muppet as my "strap test dummy"...
The Quote Notifications is something you can adjust in your settings here.
Noted and will place in the request list. It should be a feature so I'm not sure if it is simply disabled and just needs to be opened or if it has to be imported or what.
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#75 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 02:13 AM

There's now a 1000 character limit on posts!?
First of all, I nearly lost what I'd written, as there was a "token" timeout... Then I'm told that the post I was prescient enough to copy before hitting "reply" is too many characters!? I had to break it into 4 posts (could've done 3 if I didn't care about my paragraph breaks)

I'm very sad to say I'm finding this new site almost unusable.

Oh, and I know I can change my email preferences, but it's still obnoxious, and something I didn't want to deal with at my current level of pregnant/hormonal. I just wanted to check and post to my DDC.
beckybird likes this.
#76 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 AM

P.S. sorry to be so grumpy about this (I need a grumpycat emoji, seriously!), it's just putting a major kink in my style and I'm 39w pregnant with no patience for these things... I DO realize it's a lot of work and hopefully it will ultimately be a better UI and better for mothering :-)
beckybird likes this.
#77 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
DDC previews in HTML

1. Second why my DDC subscribed threads don't show in my subscriptions.

2. When I look at the DDC in general, all the thread preview lines are full of HTML code.

3. Can't tell what's new in DDC threads.

I guess this is probably legacy from Huddler, which treated them differently.

4. Now that we are back on vBulletin, can I recommend getting a brighter/flashier design? The skin is now dull since there are smaller pics, etc.

Everyone needs to chill a bit - MDC used to be on vBulletin and we will survive! It's a lot of hard work to transition a site, and can you imagine being in Jeff's position, with all these hormonal pregnant ladies complaining?!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#78 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
MDC used to be on vBulletin and we will survive!
I agree. I'm really resistant to technology change. I upgraded my phone like 4 months ago and am still totally confused and resentful.

I can't even remember the switch to Huddler but I imagine that was hard to get used to. Now I'me remembering a lot of the features of vBulletin and prefer some. I like the user CP page a lot better than what we had on Huddler. I love the smiles right there to the right (the pop-up never worked all that well for me on Huddler).

I'm editing this post now and see that we have the "reason for editing box" THANK YOU! I love that and being a big typo-maker, I love getting a space to say that I know I misspelled something. Yay for that!

Oh, oh!! My spell-check right click works on vBulletin (it never worked for me on Huddler). That makes the whole thing worth it IMO. Woohoo!!

There are some features on Huddler that I came to like too though. I only recently realized the "save post" feature, which was handy.

I agree that the "look" is a little more "grass roots" feeling. I sorta like it.

I wonder if there is an add-on feature where we can get some feature instructions if we hover over symbols? Maybe that would make the change more user friendly?
adinal and HappyHappyMommy like this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Last edited by IdentityCrisisMama; 05-30-2014 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Add more thoughts, compliment this wonderful feature. And the spell-check!
#79 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't have the time to scroll through all the posts here 1) because it is completely not user friendly 2) because of the number of posts in this thread.
Call me a grumpy old prwgnant lady, call me resistant to change but it took me about 5 seconds to figure out the old mobile site and its been a half hour now and I still can't figure out how to post in my ddc (or anywhere else I might want to start a thread).
I use the mobile site exclusively.
#80 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Problem #1 you have to scroll all the way to the top to access the menu.
#81 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I agree with the comments of many others. Why fix what isn't broken?

I really wish we could tag people again with the @ key. That was a really nice function.

I am also missing being able to "edit" function on previous posts

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#82 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
1. Second why my DDC subscribed threads don't show in my subscriptions.

2. When I look at the DDC in general, all the thread preview lines are full of HTML code.

3. Can't tell what's new in DDC threads.

I guess this is probably legacy from Huddler, which treated them differently.

4. Now that we are back on vBulletin, can I recommend getting a brighter/flashier design? The skin is now dull since there are smaller pics, etc.

Everyone needs to chill a bit - MDC used to be on vBulletin and we will survive! It's a lot of hard work to transition a site, and can you imagine being in Jeff's position, with all these hormonal pregnant ladies complaining?!
You're correct that most of the html and other oddities are the conversion related items. We have our creative team working on improving the DDC as that's definitely an area that we feel like you all do, that it needs more than it has currently.

And, good morning all!

Mark
adinal likes this.
#83 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytina View Post
I agree with the comments of many others. Why fix what isn't broken?

I really wish we could tag people again with the @ key. That was a really nice function.

I am also missing being able to "edit" function on previous posts
@tinytina just fyi, tagging should be working, testing in this post. You put the @ before the user you want to tag.

We'll have a look at edits.

Mark
#84 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie2727 View Post
I can't access a mobile version at all.
The forum should detect you on mobile @rosie2727 , can you let me know what mobile device (Android, iPhone) you are using and what browser?

Mark
#85 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
An annoying thing I'm noticing today:

As I'm reading, I normally use the Page Down button to move down the page. But on this site (since the conversion), after I hit Page Down, I sometimes find that what's on top of the page now is not what comes right after what was previously on the bottom of the page - there is a line or two of text that was below my view before and now is above my view, so I'm never able to read it (unless I scroll back up.) Super annoying. I've used Page Down and Page Up on a zillion sites (since that's my default method of moving down and up the page) and don't recall ever seeing this behavior before.
#86 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Also, the text seems unnecessarily huge. Maybe the font sizes could be a little smaller so we could see more on the screen at one time?
#87 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
An annoying thing I'm noticing today:

As I'm reading, I normally use the Page Down button to move down the page. But on this site (since the conversion), after I hit Page Down, I sometimes find that what's on top of the page now is not what comes right after what was previously on the bottom of the page - there is a line or two of text that was below my view before and now is above my view, so I'm never able to read it (unless I scroll back up.) Super annoying. I've used Page Down and Page Up on a zillion sites (since that's my default method of moving down and up the page) and don't recall ever seeing this behavior before.

Weird, we'll have someone check this out for you @Daffodil .

Mark
#88 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
One finger typing on mobile phone while nursing - I want to click on menu and have a link to my new unread threads be right at the top like we had before on to mobile version. Clicking through to find unread threads, and currently there seems to be no color difference to tell me which are unread, is obnoxious. Off to find other tweaks so I can use the site better.
#89 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post
One finger typing on mobile phone while nursing - I want to click on menu and have a link to my new unread threads be right at the top like we had before on to mobile version. Clicking through to find unread threads, and currently there seems to be no color difference to tell me which are unread, is obnoxious. Off to find other tweaks so I can use the site better.
@lilacvioletiris thanks for the notes here. For everyone giving us usability feedback, we have our creative team following this thread, and they are working to improve things for you.

Mark
#90 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
On this thread when you quote, there is a box around the text and color difference to tell me what was quoted. Another thread I was just reading didn't have that difference so I wasn't sure what text was quoted and what was new text.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page