175Likes

#91 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post
On this thread when you quote, there is a box around the text and color difference to tell me what was quoted. Another thread I was just reading didn't have that difference so I wasn't sure what text was quoted and what was new text.
Which thread was this, @lilacvioletiris ? Can you paste me the thread?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Which thread was this, @lilacvioletiris ? Can you paste me the thread?

Mark
http://www.mothering.com/forum/44-understanding-circumcision/1402359-please-explain.html

First page doesn't seem to have demarcation of quotes, but second page does. Weird.

Also now it says I have 4 private messages, but when I go to my inbox, there isn't anything there.
#93 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I was on this board when we switched from vbulletin to Huddler last time and left the site for a few years because of the massive privacy breach that happened at the time. It is depressing to say that I am happy to see that the only privacy breach this time was birth dates and not allowing every contact in your email to identify your MDC account from your email address.

A lot of my concerns have already been voiced in this thread, but 2 that have not are :

1) We need the option to view more than 40 posts on each page. 100 per page is ideal.

2) There is no option for the default subscription to be Online Only. Only no subscriptions or several different email subscriptions. I would like to have every thread I post in be automatically added to my Subscriptions list, but I don't want to receive any emails about them.

I know for a fact that these options are both possible with vbulletin and ones that were available when we were on vbulletin before.

My main issue is that with this most recent change, there is neither the functionality that existed with Huddler OR the functionality we had long ago with vbulletin. I realize this change is tons of work and things that users consider essential are just not a high priority from your perspective, but people are going to leave in droves if they can't do the same thing they've done on a daily basis for months/years on end.

It's pretty amusing to me that you gave us about a days' notice about these changes and are now asking that we cut you some slack because it will take time to return the site to a basic level of functionality.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#94 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Good Morning all,

We are sorting through the feedback and bugs posted overnight with the team currently. They will implement fixes or requests ASAP.

Please be patient and we will get to them all.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#95 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I was on this board when we switched from vbulletin to Huddler last time and left the site for a few years because of the massive privacy breach that happened at the time. It is depressing to say that I am happy to see that the only privacy breach this time was birth dates and not allowing every contact in your email to identify your MDC account from your email address.

A lot of my concerns have already been voiced in this thread, but 2 that have not are :

1) We need the option to view more than 40 posts on each page. 100 per page is ideal.

2) There is no option for the default subscription to be Online Only. Only no subscriptions or several different email subscriptions. I would like to have every thread I post in be automatically added to my Subscriptions list, but I don't want to receive any emails about them.

I know for a fact that these options are both possible with vbulletin and ones that were available when we were on vbulletin before.

My main issue is that with this most recent change, there is neither the functionality that existed with Huddler OR the functionality we had long ago with vbulletin. I realize this change is tons of work and things that users consider essential are just not a high priority from your perspective, but people are going to leave in droves if they can't do the same thing they've done on a daily basis for months/years on end.

It's pretty amusing to me that you gave us about a days' notice about these changes and are now asking that we cut you some slack because it will take time to return the site to a basic level of functionality.
For #1 , I've set it to 100 now. We're also opening a discussion with the mods on the best way to handle this going forward.

For #2 , we're looking into this for you now. One thing you can do (while we look) is you can change that option for all your existing subscribed threads. The way it's imported right now is how Huddler imported it, but if you want to turn off instant notification so it doesn't email but just displays:

- Go to your subscriptions under Tools, or click here:
http://www.mothering.com/forum/subsc...ewsubscription
- Select all of the your threads you want to disable instant notification on
- In the dropdown, choose "No Email Notification".

We're looking into a better fix but this should at least allow you to stop cluttering up your mailbox if you don't want the emails.

Mark
#96 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
There are ads for Nestle Goodstart! Was that there before? I didn't see as I paid for no ads
#97 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
The forum should detect you on mobile @rosie2727 , can you let me know what mobile device (Android, iPhone) you are using and what browser?

Mark
I now have mobile up and working.

Cannot figure out how to attach pics though. Mobile site doesn't allow it (or at least I don't see any options), and desktop only offers option to upload from a website. I post pics from my phone 99% of the time (iPhone). Thanks!

Me , 38 years old; DH , 39 years old
DD - 11 , DD - 9 (both from previous marriage), and me and DH have DS - 4 .
07/04, 02/13, 10/13, 02/14,
05/14
#98 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post
There are ads for Nestle Goodstart! Was that there before? I didn't see as I paid for no ads
Let me ask the ads team, I do believe you shouldn't see them now.

As for the other requests last night we are working on a few things on the back end to fix some of the concerns.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#99 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Is there a reason that forums don't show up in "Active posts"? They show up in "New posts" on the right.

If I can't subscribe to forums and/or subforums, I'd really like a way to sift through all the chatter and focus on what I want without scrolling through the "Forums" page. On a busy site like this I need to be able to use that kind of filter.

BTW--not all is bad. I do think the look is easier on the eyes. I like that. All that aquamarine... :shudder ... glad it's gone. And personally I like the size of the text.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#100 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
For #1 , I've set it to 100 now. We're also opening a discussion with the mods on the best way to handle this going forward.
There has been no change on my end. In my DDC, each page only has 10 posts on it. This makes scanning through a long thread for something specific impossible (which wouldn't be terrible if the advanced search option searched the DDCs or the DDC search bar actually worked).

On the Forum pages, I am still seeing 40 posts per page. When I edit my settings, that is still the largest option available (Under Thread Display Options in the Number of Posts to Show Per Page drop-down menu).

Quote:
For #2 , we're looking into this for you now. One thing you can do (while we look) is you can change that option for all your existing subscribed threads. The way it's imported right now is how Huddler imported it, but if you want to turn off instant notification so it doesn't email but just displays:

- Go to your subscriptions under Tools, or click here:
- Select all of the your threads you want to disable instant notification on
- In the dropdown, choose "No Email Notification".
This is displaying the option I wanted now. Thank you.

#101 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The new version of the site seems to load much more slowly than the old one. Navigating is a lot clunkier, with me having to go to the main forum page and then drill down from there rather than being able to hover on the forum button and find what I want. Subscriptions are gone. All text seems to be some shade of mauve/beige, which makes it hard to pick out the subejcts of the posts. The previews of the posts are for the original post, not the most recent message -- not very useful in seeing new activity.

I agree with what others here have said -- this will make me use MDC much less, as it is awkward and slow.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#102 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by anablis View Post
Why fix what's not broken??? The before version was user friendly and clear, now I don't even like the way it looks. And it's not about "resisting changes", since I've happily welcomed changes in forums with big flaws. Mothering was wonderful. This is not OK.
Agreed. I've read through every post on this thread and it's a chore to come back to this site. I've loved it here, but now I can barely navigate without wanting to just throw my phone or computer.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#103 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 AM

Another thing I noticed, even though I don't do this often. I just posted a comment to an article, and on the "Mothering" home page I am not recognized as a member. I used to just post a comment and my user name and avatar would show up and it was automatic. Now, even though I was logged into the forums, I had to enter email and "name", didn't realize "user name", left first name and that's what it posted. Not a big deal, but a littl annoying. I would have started over again and tried my user name in the "name" field, but found no way of canceling or changing anything.

Chances are good that even though I'll still be on here every day, I won't be just "popping in" to check. But maybe that's a good thing!

Commenting also on the email notifications from upthread. I see where I can opt out of email notifications, but is there a "select all" option? Or must I select individual threads? That's a big job!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#104 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 AM

There are some more things I like about the new set-up. Just wanted to know I'm not trying to be difficult!

#105 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Mobile subscriptions now take you to the first unread post, so yay for that! Other than that, mobile version is pretty poor, due to issues already noted by others. The inability to tell which threads have new posts is a huge irritation for me. Like many have noted, I primarily use the mobile version for reading. I tend to post more from my computer because I hate typing long posts on my phone. But I hated a lot about the old mobile platform, so I personally don't want to see it exactly duplicated.

Although I am frustrated with a lot of the changes, I do remember the last platform switch. It made people just as annoyed/angry/frustrated. I remember being pretty unhappy myself. I did adapt to most of it, though I never liked the new (now old) site as much as the previous version. So I'm somewhat hopeful that somewhere down the line, when all the fixes are in place, I'll like it better than the now-old version.
#106 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Is there a reason that forums don't show up in "Active posts"? They show up in "New posts" on the right.

If I can't subscribe to forums and/or subforums, I'd really like a way to sift through all the chatter and focus on what I want without scrolling through the "Forums" page. On a busy site like this I need to be able to use that kind of filter.

BTW--not all is bad. I do think the look is easier on the eyes. I like that. All that aquamarine... :shudder ... glad it's gone. And personally I like the size of the text.

Active Posts does just shows post like it is titled, not forums.

You are able to subscribe to forums and sub forums. See attachment below.
Attached Images
File Type: png subscribe.png (12.7 KB, 4 views)

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#107 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS JEFF View Post
Active Posts does just shows post like it is titled, not forums.

You are able to subscribe to forums and sub forums. See attachment below.
Thanks! Will get on that to see how it works.

#108 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Another thing I noticed, even though I don't do this often. I just posted a comment to an article, and on the "Mothering" home page I am not recognized as a member. I used to just post a comment and my user name and avatar would show up and it was automatic. Now, even though I was logged into the forums, I had to enter email and "name", didn't realize "user name", left first name and that's what it posted. Not a big deal, but a littl annoying. I would have started over again and tried my user name in the "name" field, but found no way of canceling or changing anything.

Chances are good that even though I'll still be on here every day, I won't be just "popping in" to check. But maybe that's a good thing!

Commenting also on the email notifications from upthread. I see where I can opt out of email notifications, but is there a "select all" option? Or must I select individual threads? That's a big job!
We bridged the homepage articles (wordpress) with the forum, so you should be able to login to the articles section and post a comment. We can make the login window a bit clearer to avoid some confusion though if that helps?

Mark
#109 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 AM

OK, I see I still have my forum subscriptions, but how can I use that on-site? What's the benefit of subscribing if I can find a page for "thread subscriptions" but not "forum subscriptions"? Hopefully it's something that I am overlooking, like the "forum tools" header?

#110 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I appreciate the site improving so much since last night! It seems like all of the suggestions are being worked on.

I agree with many of the others, subscription lists should be easier to find and use. It used to be at the top of the page, along with user name.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#111 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post
It's nice to see the new look. I have a supporting membership and even though I'm logged in, I'm seeing all the ads. Will ad-free viewing be back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post
This should be resolved now, please confirm.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#112 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Thanks for all of your patient sounding replies, Jeff. Not an easy job at all!

Would you be able to double, triple and quadruple check that the members in the private forum privacy is still protected....both by unregistered visitors AND existing members. A lot of members dealing with difficult personal issues rely on the support of the private forums and security and privacy is a very large part of the feeling of safety and support they have there (especially those dealing with sensitive legal issues). Thanks.
#113 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Let me address this one. Yesterday before the site opened up Cynthia and I each checked each private forum as admin, as a regular member and as a logged out user to make sure they were secure. Our mods checked again after we opened the site. This was one of our highest priorities, so we made very sure to have these permissions correct before we went public.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#114 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
This should be resolved now, please confirm.

Thanks,
Jeff
Hi Jeff, I'm not seeing any ads, so it appears resolved to me. Thanks so much for the quick response on this and many other questions.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#115 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Hello all,

Please post all mobile concerns in this separate thread so the team has a clear vision of the feedback posted. I tagged those who have posted in this thread over there also.

Mobile Site Feedback Thread

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#116 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

New subscription shortcut on Nav bar, see attachment below. It will bring you to the link below in order manage subscriptions.

Thoughts?

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: png subscribetool.png (6.4 KB, 5 views)

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#117 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I like it! Fast shortcut.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#118 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia mosher View Post

Yes, as soon as we can get the more urgent things addressed we will look at how to improve the DDCs.
i would think that, at minimum, making the DDC's tolerable to look at would be one of the urgent things! Things like subscription and signature display issues in the DDCs could be lower in the list, but the way they look is just so awful, I'm scared they're just going to die off DDCs are one of the most active areas of mothering, with some members posting there exclusively, or joining MDC just to join a DDC. If they look this bad for any extended amount of time, I'd fear MDC losing a lot of traffic.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#119 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
New subscription shortcut on Nav bar, see attachment below. It will bring you to the link below in order manage subscriptions.

Thoughts?

Jeff
That's great! Now how about putting a New Posts link right next to it?
#120 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 PM

Can someone run me through how tagging works? I can see that it is possible because Jeff is somehow doing it, but that doesn't really answer the question of HOW. Typing "@username" doesn't do anything and the "Mention" tags just add symbols to what I typed without making it clickable. Or does tagging only work in the Forums and not in the DDCs? (like so many other things...)

Last edited by Sihaya; 05-30-2014 at 12:10 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page