Website Conversion - Please Read - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

#151 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
This is a fairly minor thing but could the posts be numbered again please. I like to see what number post I'm on so I can decide if I want to keep reading or just scroll to the end.

Also, in times gone by, if the OP reposted to a thread it was highlighted somehow. Their username was a different colour or something in the subsequent posts. That was good too :-)
#152 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post
Life with a toddler - pacifier
Toddler nutrition - baby bottle

The icons beside these two on the forum view aren't really representative of the mindset here. You might want to put changing them down as a very low priority.

Maybe use something like an apple for nutrition, and a running child for toddler?
Actually, I find the icons distracting and not useful. I have to train my eye to skip them so I can read the title. I would prefer no icons at all.

This is an international forum. As such, it may not be possible to find icons that have cultural relevance for all who come here. Please consider keeping the visuals simple. Thanks!
#153 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 PM

What is currently a red dot next to the thread title used to change to a star once I had posted to that thread. That was also a nice feature.

I exclusively used the "New Posts" and "My Posts" lists to read MDC so it was useful to be able to see threads I had posted on easily on the "New Posts" list.

Is there such a thing as the "My Posts" list anymore?
#154 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Actually I agree that those icons take up a lot of screen space and are probably better just dropped. Same goes for the envelopes to show hot topics etc.
#155 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't know if this has been asked, but is there any chance of getting a button to "mark forums read" at the TOP of the forums list??

with so many forums, it's a loooong scroll to the bottom to click that link now.

also, a permanent space above the signatures would help with ease of reading. Right now, if a post is longer than the avatar/user info section on the left, the last line runs right into the signature.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#156 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
What is currently a red dot next to the thread title used to change to a star once I had posted to that thread. That was also a nice feature.

I exclusively used the "New Posts" and "My Posts" lists to read MDC so it was useful to be able to see threads I had posted on easily on the "New Posts" list.

Is there such a thing as the "My Posts" list anymore?
Good morning MDC - I've added My Posts to the top nav under Tools, let me know if this works for you.

Mark
#157 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Life with a toddler - pacifier
Toddler nutrition - baby bottle

The icons beside these two on the forum view aren't really representative of the mindset here. You might want to put changing them down as a very low priority.

Maybe use something like an apple for nutrition, and a running child for toddler?
We'll have creative change these up - I'm sending them a note on it now.

Mark
adinal likes this.
#158 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Good morning MDC - I've added My Posts to the top nav under Tools, let me know if this works for you.

Mark
I can't see any "Tools" heading. When I log on there is "new posts" in a green bar and "forums" under that, also in a green bar but that's all.

Also, none of the threads I have posted in since the conversion have been added to my subscriptions list. In the old forum, when I posted to a thread it automatically appeared on the list so I could follow it.
#159 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
I can't see any "Tools" heading. When I log on there is "new posts" in a green bar and "forums" under that, also in a green bar but that's all.

Also, none of the threads I have posted in since the conversion have been added to my subscriptions list. In the old forum, when I posted to a thread it automatically appeared on the list so I could follow it.
@katelove , I've enabled your subscription options in your UserCP so that anything you post will now end up in your subscription list. For those who want to also turn it on, you go here:
http://www.mothering.com/forum/profi...do=editoptions

You then change the dropdown that says Default Thread Subscription Mode, and select what behaviour you want for your user.

Regarding the Tools bar, I added it to the Desktop version, were you desktop or mobile? The top Tools dropdown is next to Child in the navigation bar at the top of the page. Let me know if you can find it or not.

Mark
#160 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 06:56 AM

For Subscriptions just go into user cp, then Edit Options. You will see 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'. Just update that to what you want. Mine seems to have kept its setting and is working.
#161 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
We'll have creative change these up - I'm sending them a note on it now.

Mark
Did you catch my note about eliminating the icons completely?

Post#152

Thanks!
#162 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
Don't know if this has been asked, but is there any chance of getting a button to "mark forums read" at the TOP of the forums list??

with so many forums, it's a loooong scroll to the bottom to click that link now.

also, a permanent space above the signatures would help with ease of reading. Right now, if a post is longer than the avatar/user info section on the left, the last line runs right into the signature.

I've taken care of the first part here (leaving the spacing of signatures for our creative team). At the top right of the forum home list you'll now find a Mark Forums Read link that does the same as the bottom link.

Mark
rubelin likes this.

Last edited by verticalscope; 05-31-2014 at 07:18 AM.
#163 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
Did you catch my note about eliminating the icons completely?

Post#152

Thanks!
@OrmEmbar Just saw it now, I'll discuss that with them as well. We put those there as they give it a modern look, and they are meant to be visual cues to quickly scan through the forum list. Our design team is following the thread pretty closely so I'll make sure they review this suggestion Monday.

Mark
#164 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by friederike View Post
I am unable to edit the first post in a thread, where I am threadkeeper. Where is the edit button? I can only reply or quote.
@friederike This should now be fixed. Can you re-test?

Mark
#165 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Argh!

Still not happy with the forum subscriptions.

If we can subscribe to forums (I see my subscriptions are intact) what's the point of subscribing if there is no way of viewing the subscribed forums?

If I could go to a "Forums" page and have it list only the forums I've subscribed to, I'd be thrilled. But on "Mothering forums" I can only collapse the parent forums. So, If I want "Unschooling", I have to keep the entire parent forum. Maybe I just want "WA, OR and ID" but to keep that I need to look at every forum in that group.

Why is it designed so I can subscribe to a forum, but, unlike subscribing to threads, I cannot *use* that subscription in any way? I don't like scrolling down the long list of forums. I want a place where I have my subscriptions and *only* my subscriptions listed in a way that I can navigate to and from that page. We can subscribe, but where can we see those?

And anywhere you can include a link to a forum alongside a thread would be appreciated. Listing a thread but not its forum is frustrating. Why do it in some places but not others?

Navigating this new system is frustrating. I feel like I'm suddenly blind and have to keep starting over from the beginning to find my way anywhere.
rubelin likes this.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#166 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalJoy View Post
The new version of the site seems to load much more slowly than the old one. Navigating is a lot clunkier, with me having to go to the main forum page and then drill down from there rather than being able to hover on the forum button and find what I want. Subscriptions are gone. All text seems to be some shade of mauve/beige, which makes it hard to pick out the subejcts of the posts. The previews of the posts are for the original post, not the most recent message -- not very useful in seeing new activity.

I agree with what others here have said -- this will make me use MDC much less, as it is awkward and slow.
@PrimalJoy We've added a top level forum list under Forums now, when you roll over the Forums link on the nav you'll see the top level forums. Hopefully that helps a bit.

We've also enabled "last post" previewing, so if you roll your mouse over the last post field when you are looking at a forum, you should now see a short excerpt so you can tell if you want to read that post. This is similar to how Huddler's platform used to do it so you knew what the latest post in a thread was about.

Mark
#167 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 AM

For some reason when I click on "Frugality and Finances" I'm only getting one sticky and nothing else, even when I check the next page.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#168 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 AM

When in my phone in desktop version the green forum menu option at the top has stopped doing anything when I tap it. I tested a few other items in the menu and they still work for me.

I am on android (jelly bean I think).
#169 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:52 AM

Frugality and finances didn't display for me either. I am in desktop version.
#170 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 AM

Strangely enough that forum shows on the mobile version.
#171 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
When in my phone in desktop version the green forum menu option at the top has stopped doing anything when I tap it. I tested a few other items in the menu and they still work for me.

I am on android (jelly bean I think).
@Springshowers Try now please, I've had to disable the dropdown forum list that I mentioned a few posts ago. The hover feature seems to fail on mobile devices. I'll have our creative team do this properly.

Mark
#172 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Frugality and finances didn't display for me either. I am in desktop version.
This should now be fixed - http://www.mothering.com/forum/312-frugality-finances/

Unfortunately this is the preview function I enabled a few posts up, so it's disabled while we troubleshoot it.

Mark

Last edited by verticalscope; 05-31-2014 at 08:03 AM.
#173 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Recent activity used to show more than 5 threads and had a "view more" option. I would love to see some improvement in that area. It was my favorite place to check for interesting new threads.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#174 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 08:38 AM

"Today's posts" seems to have potential to be a decent substitute for this, and it has links to forums as well.

But no "subscriptions only" options, I might add.......

#175 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 AM

Exploring "Today's Posts" further, mamapigeon, and I think it's the best substitute for the "Activity" page (hover on "Quick Links" and it's on the top left of the menu). It looks like it only has 2 pages, but keep advancing the page and you get more. Check it out. I think this will be a regular stop for me in the future.

On the old site, the "More" option stopped loading more posts after about 5 clicks or so on my computer, this one keeps going.
mamapigeon likes this.

#176 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 AM

another word about subscriptions...

In the last version if you were subscribed to a forum, all the new threads in that forum automatically went into the list of subscribed threads (so subscribing to the forum was the same as subscribing to every thread in that forum) There are now 2 separate subscriptions lists & we have to go to every forum to see the new threads/posts in those threads and are only subscribed to them if we post or specifically subscribe.

Is there a way to combine them again?

#177 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 AM

where can we turn off notifications?? I do not want to get an email every time someone quotes me in the forums. can't find anything in the UserCP

#178 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 AM

The Forum menu works for me again.
#179 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
Hello lovely Verticalscope amazing fixers! My PM box was full. I tried to delete all the messages, and it said that now all my messages were stored, but that my PM box was still full.
A. What does it mean that my messages are stored, not deleted,
B. How do I empty my PM box so I can receive new PMs?

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinal View Post
She was a moderator for many years and while on Huddler, which means she has something closer to my amount of PMs..like 10s of thousands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
That pretty much covers it! Thanks, Adina!
Any update on this? 2000 is still too low. I had deleted a lot before the change over and moved some to different folders, but I've got 2585 messages still "stored".
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#180 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Administrator

I'll be back at a console shortly and I'll lift your super high, sorry about that.

Mark
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Hello!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page