Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

#211 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinal View Post
Are you talking about the big green box that used to be at the very bottom of the screen that showed recent activity, recent articles and recent reviews?

Yes! How do I get to that on the new site?
OrmEmbar likes this.
#212 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Why would one of my posts have to be approved by a moderator? I've been a member for years.
#213 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
Why would one of my posts have to be approved by a moderator? I've been a member for years.
@Polliwog It shouldn't. Where did you post that it said that? Mind tossing me the link please?

Mark
#214 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 PM

#215 of 390 Old 05-31-2014, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Posting pictures seems to be a bit odd on the desktop version. I am used to having the pictures in line with text. On 8 week healthy weight loss challenge Number 15 (starts April 28, join anytime) thread posting 171 is the way I expect to see the photos and 199 is what I saw today when I uploaded pictures.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#216 of 390 Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
Will we eventually be able to navigate the "Forums" and "Due Date Clubs" by hovering over them the way you can with the Pregnancy, Baby, Toddler, etc.? I really like being able to navigate that way instead of having to click on it.
We have a first level drop down menu in place now. Check it out by hovering your mouse over the Forums tab in the menu bar. Hopefuly we can expand on that soon and get it back to the list we had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post
Posting pictures seems to be a bit odd on the desktop version. I am used to having the pictures in line with text. On 8 week healthy weight loss challenge Number 15 (starts April 28, join anytime) thread posting 171 is the way I expect to see the photos and 199 is what I saw today when I uploaded pictures.
There are two options for posting pictures. You can use the insert image button . That requires you to have a URL of where the image is hosted and places the image in line with the text. If you don't have the image hosted somewhere, it's just on your computer or device, you can use the attachment button . This will upload the image to the site and display it as a thmbnail in the post, which you can click on to see the full image,

There is a way to combine these two. It takes a few extra steps but works fine. Upload the image using the attachment button . Once it is uploaded, preview the post and then click on the thumbnail so that you see the full size of the image. Right click on the image to copy the URL of where it is hosted. Then go back to your post and place your cursor where you want it to be inserted. Click the insert image button and place that URL you copied in the URL field that pops up and submit it. It will place the image in line with the text.

I'll test it here to show you:

The only caveat to this is that the image must be sized appropriately for the post window. If you place a very large image it will display it very large.

We'll look at the possibility of adding a tool that gives us better control of image placement and editing to improve the feature but this should work for now. I edited your post number 199 in the thread you linked to test it there too. You can try applying it to the other image as I only did one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o-SMILEY-FACE-facebook.jpg (45.2 KB, 125 views)

#217 of 390 Old 06-01-2014, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Strange, it's approved now, but I am guessing a moderator got to it.

The only thing the site has that would do that, is we have anti-spam measures in place. I've lowered the sensitivity on existing members (ie: don't scan existing members). Let's see if that resolves it. Thanks for reporting it!

Mark
#218 of 390 Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Strange, it's approved now, but I am guessing a moderator got to it.

The only thing the site has that would do that, is we have anti-spam measures in place. I've lowered the sensitivity on existing members (ie: don't scan existing members). Let's see if that resolves it. Thanks for reporting it!

Mark
It's still not showing up, though.
#219 of 390 Old 06-01-2014, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It's still not showing up, though.
I've approved them (assuming they were stuck). I see them now, can you confirm?

Any handwashing laundry tips?
#220 of 390 Old 06-01-2014, 05:28 AM

Yep. Thanks!
verticalscope likes this.
#221 of 390 Old 06-01-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I haven't read the whole thread, but how do you post an enbedded video? I see no button that allows this feature, the menu only offers the image posting feature. Thank you.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#222 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia mosher View Post

There is a way to combine these two. It takes a few extra steps but works fine. Upload the image using the attachment button . Once it is uploaded, preview the post and then click on the thumbnail so that you see the full size of the image. Right click on the image to copy the URL of where it is hosted. Then go back to your post and place your cursor where you want it to be inserted. Click the insert image button and place that URL you copied in the URL field that pops up and submit it. It will place the image in line with the text.
When i did edit in the "Go Advanced" editor, there was no "insert image button". I had to type the html code for an image to show up. But I did get my picture in line with the text without having to post it to flickr or something.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#223 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post
When i did edit in the "Go Advanced" editor, there was no "insert image button". I had to type the html code for an image to show up. But I did get my picture in line with the text without having to post it to flickr or something.
Can you post a screenshot of your editor?

#224 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
@SweetSilver I've added a Forum Subscriptions button in the desktop view. It is designed to show you any threads updated in the past 30 days against your forum subscription list, up to 50 results. Let me know if that does what you're looking for.

Mark
Happy to see it. 50 isn't a lot, but I couldn't get endless results on Huddler, either. Yes, thank you. I believe it will do quite nicely.
verticalscope likes this.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#225 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I've been online (for too long) this morning, but I wanted to pop back on this thread to say that adding the forum subscriptions button makes a huge difference and actually improves on the old format by 1. having a dedicated button instead of just a "subscriptions" button (sometimes I like to look at my threads, other times my sub. activity and the old format that was sometimes two steps) and 2. the forum subscriptions page has all the threads on the same page instead of having to click "more".

So, thanks!

I'd still like the "saving drafts" feature back and what would really be cool and rocket this format above and beyond the old is to have customized smiley "favorites" bar that could replace the one I see next to the editor. There are about 5 that I use regularly and would love to have those handy--

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#226 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can that "tools" drop-down be on the main page when we're logged in? Can you put the "New Posts" back on the main page? Can there be a login on the main page?
#227 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
Can that "tools" drop-down be on the main page when we're logged in? Can you put the "New Posts" back on the main page? Can there be a login on the main page?
And the red subscriptions updates thing in the corner.
#228 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenglow View Post
I have settings to show messages as linear - oldest first. This is how it has always been. However, before the site upgrade, when I clicked on a thread to view it, it would jump to my unread replies in the thread.

Since the site upgrade, my subscribed threads don't seem to do this.....so then I am scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to find the unread reply. Is there a setting I can modify to get it back to the old way?
And it would do this even in threads that I wasn't subscribed to, but was just reading casually in.
#229 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia mosher View Post
We have a first level drop down menu in place now. Check it out by hovering your mouse over the Forums tab in the menu bar. Hopefuly we can expand on that soon and get it back to the list we had.
Thanks so much for bringing this back! It's a little spotty for me - hovering doesn't bring anything up when I'm on the main Mothering.com page; it only works once I'm already in the forums. And yes please bring back drop-down menus for all forums like you used to - it was SO helpful to hover, drop down, hover again, drop down, etc and go straight to a subforum.

Thanks for all your hard work and your quick responses to us. When I first saw the changes I wanted to just run screaming, but your responsiveness has been great.
cynthia mosher and VS JEFF like this.

mom to Atticus, born 08/27/12, and baby #2 due 05/07/15.

Last edited by pennywhistle; 06-02-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: never mind - saw that it was already fixed!
#230 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thank you for the sidebar that hosts a few Recent Discussions.

I would like it better if it were at the bottom of each page or floated with my scrolling. Otherwise I have to scroll up and up and up to get to it.

Also, can you make it so the title "Recent Discussions" is a clickable link to all the recent discussions or create a button were we can access more?

I am still having a hard time finding the active discussions. I really don't have time to go digging through several layers.
VS JEFF likes this.
#231 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Please make the Quick Reply box more compact. Right now I have it on my large desktop screen and I cannot see the "post quick reply" button without scrolling.

I am in Mac OS 10.9.3 , on Safari

The smilies, attach files, and Options areas are taking up a lot of real estate.
#232 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been here for some years now and just today decided I want to change my signature. However there is no option for this in the place where I can edit everything else about my profile. The siggy shows up but no edit button. How can I do this? Thanks

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#233 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
I've been here for some years now and just today decided I want to change my signature. However there is no option for this in the place where I can edit everything else about my profile. The siggy shows up but no edit button. How can I do this? Thanks
User CP > Edit Signature

Link: http://www.mothering.com/forum/profi...=editsignature
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#234 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
Thank you for the sidebar that hosts a few Recent Discussions.

I would like it better if it were at the bottom of each page or floated with my scrolling. Otherwise I have to scroll up and up and up to get to it.

Also, can you make it so the title "Recent Discussions" is a clickable link to all the recent discussions or create a button were we can access more?

I am still having a hard time finding the active discussions. I really don't have time to go digging through several layers.
Almost all navigation is under the Tools drop down

or

in the upper right on the Toolbar "Thread Subscriptions" and "Forum Subscriptions"

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#235 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
And the red subscriptions updates thing in the corner.
The "Tools" option should only be visible on every page when you are logged in and the "Notifications" tool bar is a shortcut to any activity you track on the forums.

Thanks,
Jeff
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#236 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but how do you post an enbedded video? I see no button that allows this feature, the menu only offers the image posting feature. Thank you.
You should just be able to post the link and it will do it automatically.

http://youtu.be/0Bmhjf0rKe8

Edit - I guess not, we probably just need a plugin installed for that. I will find out.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#237 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS JEFF View Post
Almost all navigation is under the Tools drop down

or

in the upper right on the Toolbar "Thread Subscriptions" and "Forum Subscriptions"

Thanks,
Jeff
yes, that requires going to the top of the page AND is not easy to find if you don't already know where to look. the huddler set up took me no time to learn. I'm hopeful that this new site will be better soon, but please remember to think: simpler is better. Everything in one spot and quick ways to get to active discussions will encourage more participation. (I'm sure your sick of reading that by now, sorry!)

It took me a long time to actually see the thread and forum subscription buttons.
Weird, I know, they are right there in plain sight. But, they are to the far right when everything else is to the left along the top. They are also a different color than all the other navigation areas and visually blend in with the same color bar at the top of the thread.

can you put the thread/forum subscription buttons within the toolbar at the top and then repeat that same toolbar at the bottom of every page in a smaller font?

whoa,everything just flip-flopped I'll check things out again later.

TIP - if your visual design team does not have babies of their own, I highly recommend something like this: get only 3 hours of sleep per night for a week and then try to work on the computer while holding a medium sized wiggly puppy. Then create a visual that is easy to navigate while bleary-eyed and unable to sit still. Really, you will be awesome if you can do that!
mama24-7 and QueenOfTheMeadow like this.
#238 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS JEFF View Post
The "Tools" option should only be visible on every page when you are logged in and the "Notifications" tool bar is a shortcut to any activity you track on the forums.

Thanks,
Jeff
But it's not on the main page. Why? I can't get to it without completing another step.

I feel like the main page is relatively useless. There's no info about my subscriptions (the red dot in the corner), and the new posts aren't at the bottom of the page like they were (and I have to click through two pages to get to them). The articles don't change that often (I read the Mayim Bialik one like six weeks ago...). If I'm logged in, why should I have to click into the forums section and then go to new posts on the tools drop down?

And why isn't there a login on the main page. I have to hit register and then it takes me to a login. Am I missing something?

Also, there's a glitch on the register page. If I type my username into the topmost field and then hit tab, it takes me to a field down below and doesn't let me login - invalid blah blah.
#239 of 390 Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post

TIP - if your visual design team does not have babies of their own, I highly recommend something like this: get only 3 hours of sleep per night for a week and then try to work on the computer while holding a medium sized wiggly puppy. Then create a visual that is easy to navigate while bleary-eyed and unable to sit still. Really, you will be awesome if you can do that!
I can't like this post, because I'm mobile, but I LOVE you. Be my best friend??
#240 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just realized that it's almost impossible to find the advanced search function. There's a Google search bar at the top right of the screen that's easy to find, but I was looking for this page - the place where you can specify a user name, date range, specific forum, etc. for your search. I couldn't find a link to it anywhere, until I finally noticed the "Mothering Forums > Search Forums > Search Results" at the top of the New Posts page and realized I could click on the Search Forums link to get to the search page. There needs to be a much easier and more obvious way to get to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page