175Likes

#241 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
I just realized that it's almost impossible to find the advanced search function. There's a Google search bar at the top right of the screen that's easy to find, but I was looking for this page - the place where you can specify a user name, date range, specific forum, etc. for your search. I couldn't find a link to it anywhere, until I finally noticed the "Mothering Forums > Search Forums > Search Results" at the top of the New Posts page and realized I could click on the Search Forums link to get to the search page. There needs to be a much easier and more obvious way to get to it.
If you click on the little down v arrow next to the google search icon you will get the vB search option. If you click that you should see Advance Search beneath it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg search.jpg (31.9 KB, 148 views)
VS JEFF likes this.

#242 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia mosher View Post
If you click on the little down v arrow next to the google search icon you will get the vB search option. If you click that you should see Advance Search beneath it.

Okay, now I know how to do it. Thanks! But I'm sure I'm not the only one who never in a million years would have figured that out on my own. I think it would be nice to create an obvious link to the other search option (which many people might never even guess exists the way things are now.)
#243 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Administrator

If it's an easy thing to place I'm sure our tech team will be glad to do it.

#244 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Administrator

By the way, now that I have clicked on that Google v and selected vB search which has the Advanced link beneath it, that is now showing on every page I go to. I don't see the Google icon anymore. So it seems the Google option is set as default and conceals the vB option with its partner Advanced Search link. To switch it around you click and choose the vB search. Perhaps it will stay that way until you choose Google instead.

#245 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ok I just noticed the little icon next to the circumcision board. Scissors? Ugh, that is tasteless and disgusting.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#246 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
Ok I just noticed the little icon next to the circumcision board. Scissors? Ugh, that is tasteless and disgusting.
I actually find it pretty appropriate, considering what we're talking about. I'm not sure what other icon would sum up what's being discussed there better than scissors. Well I could think of one, but that'd probably be a bit more inappropriate than scissors.
adinal and VS JEFF like this.

#247 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
It was fixed before and must have come back with some changes. Removed again.

Jeff
adinal likes this.

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#248 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS JEFF View Post
It was fixed before and must have come back with some changes. Removed again.

Jeff
Thank you
VS JEFF likes this.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#249 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I apologize if this has already been addressed. These pages are taking a heinously long time to load, so I gave up trying to read through the entire thread and skipped ahead to post.

Is Google Chrome my only browser option to make this site work? When I use IE, I deal with the usual IE loading snafus and get this bright notice in the bottom corner that I need to switch to Google Chrome. (Long story, but no happening).

Firefox won't even let me post. I'll write a reply, hit "submit," and it will eat my post.

Is Chrome my only option to make this new format work? I haven't used Safari, but is it compatible with that?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#250 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the threads I commented on today aren't coming up in my subscribed threads. Am I missing something, or do I actually have to subscribe to each new thread somehow?
#251 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I apologize if this has already been addressed. These pages are taking a heinously long time to load, so I gave up trying to read through the entire thread and skipped ahead to post.

Is Google Chrome my only browser option to make this site work? When I use IE, I deal with the usual IE loading snafus and get this bright notice in the bottom corner that I need to switch to Google Chrome. (Long story, but no happening).

Firefox won't even let me post. I'll write a reply, hit "submit," and it will eat my post.

Is Chrome my only option to make this new format work? I haven't used Safari, but is it compatible with that?
I use Safari exclusively and have not noticed any page loading problems - UNLESS someone at VerticalScope is working on something - and everything works the same in Safari.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#252 of 390 Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:

I use Firefox, and it seems to work for me.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#253 of 390 Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post
the threads I commented on today aren't coming up in my subscribed threads. Am I missing something, or do I actually have to subscribe to each new thread somehow?
@rainbownurse - Go to User CP > Settings and Options > Edit Options > Messaging and Notification > Default Thread Subscription Mode

This will allow you to set auto subscribe and receive instant, daily, or weekly notifications on threads.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#254 of 390 Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:

It should work with all broswer, Chrome should be one of the quickest. However the default post count per page is 100, which might slow it down a bit depending on your connection. You can change that setting to 5,10,30,40,50 post per page below which should decrease load times, follow instructions below:

Go to User CP > Settings and Options > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#255 of 390 Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize if these have already been mentioned.

I primarily read from the active posts page--I see that you've added this in under tools, which is great, but the functionality still feels off to me for a few reasons: 1. all of the thread titles get cut off after a few words so that it's hard to see the topic (this doesn't seem to be the case in either new/unanswered, so maybe it's an easy fix?), 2. I see there's an option to hover and see a preview of the message, but this doesn't seem to work for all threads--some threads seem to have a pop-up, while others don't (Maybe this is an issue with my computer--I thought at first I was missing the hover field or whatever with my mouse--but it seems to be consistent for a given thread to either show or not show a pop-up. This also happens in both the new/unanswered threads for me.), and 3. this list (as well as new/unanswered) used to pull in from the DDCs, and doesn't anymore--since the DDCs are so active, this means the list feels really incomplete in terms of the threads I used to follow.

Also, I know there's a thread subscription button now (yay!)--but I wish there was some way to see whether I have any subscribed threads with unread messages from wherever I am on the site, instead of having to click on the thread subscription link to check on it over and over. The red alert flag in the header on the old version was very helpful here.

Thanks for all your hard work!
VS JEFF likes this.

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#256 of 390 Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I can't copy and paste smileys?

On our no-spend thread we have always used smileys and I'm having trouble with copy/paste (won't copy smileys). I can quote and they show up, but can't use nested quotes to quote my quote. Um... yeah. Trying to figure out how I can use a month of smileys! Do we still have the nested quote option somewhere? I know it was hidden in the options page on the old format. It comes in handy sometimes. Really though, I'd like to copy and paste my smileys again.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#257 of 390 Old 06-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I'd like to put in another vote for

1) The big red number next to "Thread subscriptions" showing how many threads have new posts

2) The ability to hover over a thread title for a preview of the original post

3) There should always be a forum association for every thread title (in "Recent Discussions" for example)

I agree with the poster above me who said something along the lines of the functionality still feeling "off." It feels that way to me, too, and I don't think it's just because it's new.
rainbownurse likes this.
#258 of 390 Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
I'd like to put in another vote for

1) The big red number next to "Thread subscriptions" showing how many threads have new posts

2) The ability to hover over a thread title for a preview of the original post

3) There should always be a forum association for every thread title (in "Recent Discussions" for example)

I agree with the poster above me who said something along the lines of the functionality still feeling "off." It feels that way to me, too, and I don't think it's just because it's new.
I agree.
#259 of 390 Old 06-06-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Update on DDC!

Here is a quick proof of the revised January Due Date Club:

http://www.mothering.com/forum/group...date-club.html

We will be manually be updating the others early next week.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#260 of 390 Old 06-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Update on DDC!

Here is a quick proof of the revised January Due Date Club:

We will be manually be updating the others early next week.

Jeff
That looks a little better, but there's still a weird "box" displaying (like a character that couldn't be properly decoded, so it just displays a little box instead) right at the beginning of the thread title.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#261 of 390 Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
That looks a little better, but there's still a weird "box" displaying (like a character that couldn't be properly decoded, so it just displays a little box instead) right at the beginning of the thread title.
What browser and version are you using, can you take a screen shot? I am not seeing it.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
VerticalScope.com
#262 of 390 Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 PM

It looks as good mobile as anything else on the site, so that is a plus. Will check it out on desktop later. Will this fix also get the threads back in our subscription list, or is it mostly a cosmetic fix for now?
VS JEFF likes this.
#263 of 390 Old 06-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
What browser and version are you using, can you take a screen shot? I am not seeing it.

Jeff
I'm using Firefox 29.0.1
Attached Images
File Type: png boxes.png (15.5 KB, 8 views)

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#264 of 390 Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Okay, the advanced search does not seem to be working properly. I was trying to find some things I know I posted, so I put a word in the search box, and put my username in the username box. It pulled up nothing, even though I know I've made multiple posts with that word. I tried it with various words I know I've used recently - every time it came up with no results. I also tried with no specific word in the search box, to make sure I hadn't somehow misspelled my username. That worked fine, pulled up a bunch of posts by me. Ideas?

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#265 of 390 Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have to be signed in to see new posts on mobile? Where are the new posts on the desktop version? Are you going to add a load more button on the homepage so you can see more than five? I am having trouble after signing in on my mobile with Firefox. It is not redirecting so I have to press the text to get it to load. Also in the user cp I have selected to see the oldest posts first and it keeps losing that and reverting back to showing me the newest first. Thank you
#266 of 390 Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Thanks for making the User CP so... usable. I went there to edit my signature (because the signatures look so much like the text being right underneath) and found my unread subscribed threads and a list of my subscribed forums all together. Being able to unsubscribe without navigating off the page is a bonus.

One thing I've noticed is that the down arrow to go to the last unread post works MOST of the time, but for some threads it just takes you to the page and not the post. Should I comment about a specific thread that it's not working on? Or is this something that will iron itself out? It's not happening often, but I see from others above that it's happening for them as well.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#267 of 390 Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM
motheringadmin

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Thanks for making the User CP so... usable. I went there to edit my signature (because the signatures look so much like the text being right underneath) and found my unread subscribed threads and a list of my subscribed forums all together. Being able to unsubscribe without navigating off the page is a bonus.

One thing I've noticed is that the down arrow to go to the last unread post works MOST of the time, but for some threads it just takes you to the page and not the post. Should I comment about a specific thread that it's not working on? Or is this something that will iron itself out? It's not happening often, but I see from others above that it's happening for them as well.
Could you provide a URL to the page that is not working correctly for you.

~ Danniella, Community Support
#268 of 390 Old 06-07-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheringadmin View Post
Could you provide a URL to the page that is not working correctly for you.

~ Danniella, Community Support
Bikini Baristas: Offensive, Annoying? No idea what I'm talking about?

#269 of 390 Old 06-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hi!

There is a huge snafu occurring in the July 2014 DDC Forum. I'm not sure if it's affecting any other groups.

Link to screenshot - http://i57.tinypic.com/2q8wrpd.png

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#270 of 390 Old 06-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledvwlch View Post
Hi!

There is a huge snafu occurring in the July 2014 DDC Forum. I'm not sure if it's affecting any other groups.

Link to screenshot - http://i57.tinypic.com/2q8wrpd.png
@Caledvwlch I'll have a look

Mark

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page