Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Site Help (http://www.mothering.com/forum/2-site-help/)
-   -   Website Conversion - Please Read (http://www.mothering.com/forum/2-site-help/1402538-website-conversion-please-read.html)

VS JEFF 05-28-2014 06:40 AM

Website Conversion - Please Read

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff, I am a community manager for VerticalScope.com out of the Chicago office. 

Recently, VerticalScope acquired the Owned and Operated Huddler Communities and have taken over the webmaster duties for the Huddler team for Mothering.com. We have been working very closely with the Mods and Admins on making sure this transition has been seamless and positive for everyone. The leadership you are used to on the site every day will still be here as well as the spirit of the site everyone has helped to develop.

There are a few changes expected to happen over the next few weeks while we work on converting the site to a feature-rich and easy to use platform. As part of this transition, Huddler is assisting VerticalScope in converting the forum off of the Huddler platform to vBulletin, and your moderators have been very busy helping us test it end to end. Many of you may be familiar with the vBulletin software platform as it was the original platform the site was built on, and we will be bringing it back with a newer skin and some new features I am sure you will appreciate. 

To give you all a little idea of what we do and why we are here I have broken down some of the basic questions that I am sure most of you have.

Who are you, VerticalScope?

VerticalScope is a company of enthusiasts. We manage multiple communities online that work to engage users with a broad spectrum of themes and interests. Our focus it to continue the steady growth of these communities while working to maintain the passion and spirit that make each one unique. Technology, Automotive, Motorcycle, Fashion, Health and Wellness are just a few of the many groups of sites we engage with.

Why are you converting the site to vBulletin?

We have made the decision to migrate to vBulletin as it is the same platform we use to scale hundreds of other sites, and was the software platform that originally grew this site. 

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with the community and the board staff to help provide the resources required to give this community a broader reach. This works to attract new members to better the overall knowledge shared in the community. Over time the community grows further and becomes an even better resource of information on the subjects you love so much.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is an important focus for us, YOU as the membership of this community have helped to set the tone. New members are made to feel welcome and should want to continue to contribute to the growth of the site. Your Mods and Admins that you have grown to appreciate will not change and will still be here to help you and keep the site clean and free of distractions. The VerticalScope team are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on and there are as few bumps in the road as possible. We recognise that each community is unique and having respect for this is paramount to us. Since the beginning the moderation staff has established the unique rules and regulations here. The community has also established a strong reputation that makes the site inviting and engaging to all users new and more experienced.

What am I here for?

My primary role along with the rest of the team is to be a technical contact.  You can think of me like the man behind the curtain in the wizard of oz.  The community and moderation staff built the foundation and keep the roof from falling, I am here keeping the lights on inside while we all enjoy the party. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is all taken care of and keep things running smoothly from behind the scenes.

I do look forward to getting to know you all and this unique community better.

Thanks,

Jeff

VS JEFF 05-28-2014 12:11 PM

There will some site downtime around 9am EST tomorrow for this conversion and it should last 4-5 hours. Once the site is back up Users can report feedback and bugs here.

Expected outage time:

Start: 9am EST
Open to Mods at: 3pm EST
Complete: 6pm EST

Thanks,

Jeff

journeymom 05-28-2014 10:52 PM

Okily dokily! I appreciate the introduction.

VS JEFF 05-29-2014 05:56 PM

Well we are back open to the public, please post feedback or bugs in this thread.

Thanks,
Jeff

alpenglow 05-29-2014 05:58 PM

How do I find my subscriptions?

VS JEFF 05-29-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpenglow (Post 17638417)
How do I find my subscriptions?

In the Toolbar at the top drop down
Tools>User CP> Subscribed threads or Tools>Quicklinks>Subscribed Threads.

Polliwog 05-29-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VS JEFF (Post 17638449)
In the Toolbar at the top drop down
Tools>User CP> Subscribed threads or Tools>Quicklinks>Subscribed Threads.

Well, that's not user-friendly at all. So, there's no way it easily see if there are updates to threads we have posted in? And, how do we know if we have unread private messages?

I'm usually fine with message board changes, but I don't like this format at all (both desktop and mobile versions.)

VS JEFF 05-29-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polliwog (Post 17638681)
Well, that's not user-friendly at all. So, there's no way it easily see if there are updates to threads we have posted in? And, how do we know if we have unread private messages?

I'm usually fine with message board changes, but I don't like this format at all (both desktop and mobile versions.)

When you are logged in you will see this at the top and it will show you all the Likes, Mentions, PM's, replies, etc...

Welcome, VS JEFF. You last visited: Today at 03:51 PM Your Notifications: 6

LiLStar 05-29-2014 06:29 PM

I haven't had much of a chance to explore the new look yet, but one thing I noticed is that the due date clubs are not very visually appealing. The main forum looks much better, but the DDCs are the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. I'm hoping there's still some kinks to iron out and this will be fixed soon?

kitchensqueen 05-29-2014 06:31 PM

How do we jump to the newest post in threads we're subscribed to?

And will our custom "banning" titles be imported, or were those just lost?

HappyHappyMommy 05-29-2014 06:33 PM

It's nice to see the new look. I have a supporting membership and even though I'm logged in, I'm seeing all the ads. Will ad-free viewing be back?

adinal 05-29-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchensqueen (Post 17638825)
How do we jump to the newest post in threads we're subscribed to?

And will our custom "banning" titles be imported, or were those just lost?

There is an arrow (>) that shows next to the last poster's name in the subscription list. Clicking on that will take you to the last post.

kitchensqueen 05-29-2014 06:46 PM

Thanks AdinaL - that's helpful.

Also, after navigating around a bit - will there be a link for subscriptions added in the drop-down menu next to the log in status message at the top? It's kind of hard to find by having to dig around in the Control Panel, especially if you're just wanting to check for updates in subscribed thread.

adinal 05-29-2014 07:07 PM

I am not sure about a drop down link.

I believe I can restore your banning title if you remember what it was.

adinal 05-29-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchensqueen (Post 17639001)
Thanks AdinaL - that's helpful.

Also, after navigating around a bit - will there be a link for subscriptions added in the drop-down menu next to the log in status message at the top? It's kind of hard to find by having to dig around in the Control Panel, especially if you're just wanting to check for updates in subscribed thread.

If you look at the Nav Bar up top, you will see a link called Tools with a down arrow. Hover over that and there is a selection for Thread Subscriptions. That will take you straight there. It is still in the User CP, but that is a direct link from any page. :)

kitchensqueen 05-29-2014 07:11 PM

Okay, cool - got it! Much easier - I was bumbling around and just not finding anything relevant. :-)

adinal 05-29-2014 07:12 PM

Also, if you hover over the Quick Links in the Tools drop down, you get an option for subscriptions. :)

And yes, I will be writing a new tutorial soon! :lol

alpenglow 05-29-2014 07:24 PM

I have settings to show messages as linear - oldest first. This is how it has always been. However, before the site upgrade, when I clicked on a thread to view it, it would jump to my unread replies in the thread.

Since the site upgrade, my subscribed threads don't seem to do this.....so then I am scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to find the unread reply. Is there a setting I can modify to get it back to the old way?

Harmony96 05-29-2014 07:24 PM

My advertising tag is gone.

SweetSilver 05-29-2014 07:28 PM

Can't I subscribe to forums? What happened to our "activity" page for active feeds of subscribed forums? That was my "go to" spot, now it's gone?

SweetSilver 05-29-2014 07:32 PM

Photo not showing?

ETA: There it is.

ETA: Now it's gone again. Can you see it?

Becky Wheeler 05-29-2014 07:37 PM

This was a baaaad move for MDC. There is no longer any ease of navigation. It's a jumbled mess. You guys took away features that were convenient and loved by users. If I ever come back to MDC, it won't be often, that's for sure.

Springshowers 05-29-2014 07:37 PM

Wow this must be a huge job!

A few things
1. Birth date in our profiles should be defaulted to private not fully public showing age and birth date.
2. When I reply to a pm the reply field is always peeled with a quote of the message. It should be blank unless we click quote.
3. I used to only use the mobile version but it is not fully functional now. Will it be enhanced?
4. Can private message be threaded again so you can look at a whole conversation?
5. Forum threads are in reverse order with newest first. Can we flip that in the settings somewhere?
6. Does the concept of forum subscriptions exist on this forum now?
7. Will our paid memberships be brought over so ads can be turned off?

I loved the mobile version on the huddler forum and used my phone almost exclusively to view the site. But ask finding that very difficult so far here because of so much missing functionality (can't delete pms, can't navigate around a forum without going to the top forum menu)

I appreciate how much work this is. Good luck.

monkeyscience 05-29-2014 07:37 PM

Are smilies going to be available again in quick reply? I thought they were totally gone, but apparently they still exist in the advanced reply. Annoying to have to go there just for smilies.

And I second (third?) the BLECH about clicking on a subscribed thread not taking you to the most recent post. I'll try the arrow thing Adina mentioned, but I don't remember seeing that on the mobile option. Guess I'll have to look more.

And in non-constructive feedback... so far, I hate the new site. Sigh. Hopefully it will grow on me? Changing a pregnant lady's favorite message board is like stealing her chocolate - mean, and dangerous... ;)

monkeyscience 05-29-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetSilver (Post 17639409)
Photo not showing?

I'm having the same issue - some times profile pics are showing, other times not - and some will show on a page, but not all. :(

verticalscope 05-29-2014 07:42 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetSilver (Post 17639409)
Photo not showing?

Are we talking avatars or photos in threads? One thing we do to keep speed higher is we load the photos after content (called a deferred load), so you may be scrolling away before the browser has a chance to load it. Guessing you're on IE or Firefox?

Mark

verticalscope 05-29-2014 07:44 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscience (Post 17639433)
Are smilies going to be available again in quick reply? I thought they were totally gone, but apparently they still exist in the advanced reply. Annoying to have to go there just for smilies.

And I second (third?) the BLECH about clicking on a subscribed thread not taking you to the most recent post. I'll try the arrow thing Adina mentioned, but I don't remember seeing that on the mobile option. Guess I'll have to look more.

And in non-constructive feedback... so far, I hate the new site. Sigh. Hopefully it will grow on me? Changing a pregnant lady's favorite message board is like stealing her chocolate - mean, and dangerous... ;)

You should see smilies in a quoted reply, and in advanced. We're going to have our creative team add it to quick reply as well, I agree it would be useful there.

Mark

SweetSilver 05-29-2014 07:45 PM

What I'm not liking is that I can't figure out how to customize how I look through the site. And I really enjoyed having the Mothering content on the same home page as the activity. I liked not having to flip back and forth between them.

I know it's partly a matter of getting used to the new format, but I'm already missing my connection with my own personal set up, and "subscribed threads" isn't enough,

and I'm looking for any "Help" spot to explain these icons, and hovering is not explaining what they are for. Very, very confusing. Not happy.

monkeyscience 05-29-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springshowers (Post 17639425)
Wow this must be a huge job!

A few things
1. Birth date in our profiles should be defaulted to private not fully public showing age and birth date.

AGREED! Wow, glad I read this. NOT happy that my full birthdate has been hanging out in public without my knowledge. Worse, it was kind of a pain to find out how to hide it. Weirdly, it's not under "Profile Privacy" settings, but rather a setting under editing my personal details.

monkeyscience 05-29-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verticalscope (Post 17639465)
Are we talking avatars or photos in threads? One thing we do to keep speed higher is we load the photos after content (called a deferred load), so you may be scrolling away before the browser has a chance to load it. Guessing you're on IE or Firefox?

Mark

Ah, okay. I, at least, was referring to avatars. I guess that would explain why threads I've already looked at and return to have the avatars (i.e., they've already loaded previously). Will be on the lookout for them to load later on new threads. (And yes, I use Firefox.)