Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Site Help (http://www.mothering.com/forum/2-site-help/)
-   -   Tapatalk for Mobile (http://www.mothering.com/forum/2-site-help/1403305-tapatalk-mobile.html)

verticalscope 06-01-2014 04:52 AM

Tapatalk for Mobile

9 Attachment(s)
Good morning MDC,

I've added Tapatalk to the site to help with those of you who use the site for Mobile. Tapatalk is a free app that a lot of forums use, and that from my background reading on MDC was also used here before Huddler converted to their platform. It allows you to access the forum via mobile, upload images, reply to posts and threads, and do most of the activities that you would do at a desktop.

To get the app on iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapa...307880732?mt=8

To get the app on Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkpro.activity

I have been using it since yesterday in my replies to test it while i was out and about, and your admin team has been helping test it as well.

To find MDC, search for Mothering once you have installed the app. You can login by clicking on the menu button on the top left in the app, and that's where most of the navigation items are.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Mark

Polliwog 06-01-2014 05:09 AM

Thanks. I've just uploaded it. I'll give it a try. I've given up on the regular mobile site, when I'm using my iPad.

Polliwog 06-01-2014 05:15 AM

Ok. That is WAY nicer to use. I didn't have to search for MDC at all. It just came up.

It's much cleaner visually. And I love that all the sub forums aren't visible from the main screen.

verticalscope 06-01-2014 05:18 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polliwog (Post 17648097)
Ok. That is WAY nicer to use. I didn't have to search for MDC at all. It just came up.

It's much cleaner visually. And I love that all the sub forums aren't visible from the main screen.

Great, glad to hear it. I'm noticing from similar threads that MDC had this in 2011. Glad we could bring it back!

http://media.comicbook.com/wp-conten...e-delorean.jpg

:)

Mark

Polliwog 06-01-2014 05:29 AM

That was before I had a mobile device, but I remember others using it a lot.

newmamalizzy 06-01-2014 06:20 AM

My gadget isn't advanced enough for this app, and now the notice asking me if I want it won't close. It's right on top of the page so I can't click on the menu icon. Boo :(

verticalscope 06-01-2014 06:29 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmamalizzy (Post 17648153)
My gadget isn't advanced enough for this app, and now the notice asking me if I want it won't close. It's right on top of the page so I can't click on the menu icon. Boo :(

Which phone do you have @newmamalizzy I might have the older version I can put somewhere for you.

Mark

prosciencemum 06-01-2014 12:05 PM

We need a separate account on tapatalk to use it right?

verticalscope 06-01-2014 03:33 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by prosciencemum (Post 17648777)
We need a separate account on tapatalk to use it right?

Nope! When you login you have a choice, use the tapatalk login (which I don't use) or use the forum's login (the right choice!)
:)

Mark

VS JEFF 06-02-2014 03:21 PM

Hello all,

Tapatalk should be much more user friendly then the mobile browsing web. It will help you track subscribed threads and PM's much easier.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff

katelove 06-03-2014 02:00 AM

Tapatalk wants to access my contacts list, tell people I'm using the app and several other things. Er, no! But then I can't use the app without allowing this, so tapatalk is off the cards for me I'm afraid.

katelove 06-03-2014 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VS JEFF (Post 17651978)
Hello all,

Tapatalk should be much more user friendly then the mobile browsing web. It will help you track subscribed threads and PM's much easier.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff

Does this mean that the current mobile site isn't going to get any better? I'm happy to wait until it can be fixed but, if this is it then I'd like to know because I'll either need to start using the desktop site on my mobile or, sadly, spend considerably less time on the forum because it is not enjoyable for me at all anymore :-(

verticalscope 06-03-2014 03:39 AM

9 Attachment(s)
We are still updating the mobile Web experience. Tapatalk is just another option. Last night our creative team added the ability to post new threads in Ddc to mobile, for example, and we are working on improving the editor and adding image upload functionality.

Mark

VS JEFF 06-03-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katelove (Post 17653378)
Does this mean that the current mobile site isn't going to get any better? I'm happy to wait until it can be fixed but, if this is it then I'd like to know because I'll either need to start using the desktop site on my mobile or, sadly, spend considerably less time on the forum because it is not enjoyable for me at all anymore :-(

No, we are still working on the mobile per Mark. This is just another option for users.:thumb

Jeff

katelove 06-03-2014 02:08 PM

Good to hear. Thanks.

lineuponline 06-04-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verticalscope (Post 17653425)
We are still updating the mobile Web experience. Tapatalk is just another option. Last night our creative team added the ability to post new threads in Ddc to mobile, for example, and we are working on improving the editor and adding image upload functionality.

Mark

I just went to see and I have no obvious way to start a new thread in my DDC.

abiyhayil 06-05-2014 08:45 AM

I can't use tapatalk on my iPad original :( nor can I post a new thread, the capcha is blank
ETA logged on, there isn't a capcha but submit thread button takes me to a database error page

verticalscope 06-06-2014 06:35 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Hey there,

Would you be able to provide us with a screen shot of the database error message you are receiving?

Thank you so much for your time :)

~ GP community support

abiyhayil 06-06-2014 08:28 AM

It just worked :shrug thanks!

bruna 06-09-2014 10:22 PM

The search function on Tapatalk isn't yielding me adequate results. I have tried common terms, such as 'nursing' and had 0 results.
Is this something still being worked on ?

Sent from my Acer Liquid using Tapatalk 2

bruna 06-09-2014 10:36 PM

I've gone back again to try to search. I tried "nursing", and got results, but then tried " plus size homebirth" and yielded none.
I don't believe there are no posts or threads with these words on the whole site.
Is this function still being sorted out?

Sent from my Acer Liquid using Tapatalk 2

limabean 06-09-2014 10:44 PM

I posted this in the Mobile Feedback thread, but maybe this would be a better place:

"I haven't downloaded Tapatalk yet. Can the site admins, or someone who has Tapatalk, answer a couple of questions for me before I download it? I don't want to install it only to find that it doesn't remedy my concerns.

Will the app make it so I can tell which forum I'm in if I open a thread from New Posts? (And, preferably, show me which forum each "New Post" is in even before I click on it?)

Will the app make it so that, after reading a thread, I can navigate back to the forum in one click without using the "back" button on my browser?"

bruna 06-12-2014 10:22 PM

Hi- Still not getting adequate search results on Tapatalk.

motheringadmin 06-13-2014 01:07 PM

Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean (Post 17682529)
I posted this in the Mobile Feedback thread, but maybe this would be a better place:

"I haven't downloaded Tapatalk yet. Can the site admins, or someone who has Tapatalk, answer a couple of questions for me before I download it? I don't want to install it only to find that it doesn't remedy my concerns.

Will the app make it so I can tell which forum I'm in if I open a thread from New Posts? (And, preferably, show me which forum each "New Post" is in even before I click on it?)

Will the app make it so that, after reading a thread, I can navigate back to the forum in one click without using the "back" button on my browser?"

The app allows you to see which sub-forum you are on when you are looking at a post and there is drop down menu that allows you to return to the main forum without pressing the back button multiple times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruna (Post 17692786)
Hi- Still not getting adequate search results on Tapatalk.

The search results seems to be working fine on Tapatalk. I have tried searching fro common terms like "nursing" and "baby" and both have provided multiple results. Are the common search terms still not providing any results on your mobile device?
As for the results of searching with the words, "plus size homebirth", there are actually no posts about that. I have tried searching via the desktop search function and the only result is the one you have posted in this thread.

Have a great weekend everyone!

~KM, community support

bruna 06-13-2014 05:28 PM

Hi KM,

I think that the problem is that the results are not adequate; meaning that I am not getting relevant enough, or thorough enough results. Here is an example:
I enter these two words: toddler foods
The search in threads pulls up 2 results.

How could there be only 2 results?

The search results also aren't relevant. One is a thread about a whiny toddler, and another is about weight gain during pregnancy.

Searching on mobile used to yield highly relevant results. Now I can't find information about what I am looking for.

I think that the words plus size and homebirth must have been mentioned together once in a post or thread in the many years of this website forum.

bruna 06-13-2014 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=motheringadmin;17694554]
As for the results of searching with the words, "plus size homebirth", there are actually no posts about that. I have tried searching via the desktop search function and the only result is the one you have posted in this thread.

This is not correct.
I just searched for the words "plus size homebirth" on the mobile site and got 4,640 results.

I will stop using tapatalk and switch back to the mobile site for now.

motheringadmin 06-16-2014 07:50 AM

Hello,

Were you using the magnifying glass located in the top green tool bar where Pregnancy, Baby, Toddler, etc are located or the search option located under the "forum subscriptions" button?

The search option that doesn't require members to click on the magnifying glass has two search options. One option populates the results list with Google search. That may be where you are seeing the large number of results (4,650 is what I see now). The other option is VB search that locates posts in this forum. This option can be found in the search drop down menu by clicking the little square symbol inside the search bar.

~KM, community support

bruna 06-18-2014 04:07 PM

There is no google search magnifying glass in my tapatalk app. The only search option is threads and posts, and I only get very limited and inaccurate results as confirmed by KM above.
I hope that the administrators are able to use my feedback to make changes in the app, and until that time I won't be using tapatalk or giving any more examples or feedback, as I feel I have explained the problem several times but not received a response that is indicates that my feedback is being understood.

verticalscope 06-18-2014 05:22 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bruna (Post 17708834)
There is no google search magnifying glass in my tapatalk app. The only search option is threads and posts, and I only get very limited and inaccurate results as confirmed by KM above.
I hope that the administrators are able to use my feedback to make changes in the app, and until that time I won't be using tapatalk or giving any more examples or feedback, as I feel I have explained the problem several times but not received a response that is indicates that my feedback is being understood.

@bruna I see what you mean, let me chat with support and show them what you're seeing. Sorry for the frustrating back and forth.

Mark

neonalee 07-21-2014 08:54 PM

I am THRILLED! For my phone this is a much better option, THANK YOU!

I've used this app before several versions ago. It is a little less intuitive than it was & takes some getting used to. 2 things I noticed while trying it out. 1. The login screen is confusing. You have the option to log in with Facebook or join. That screen does not say that if you click the join button you will find the option to log in directly to mothering. 2. While trying to figure out how to log in I tried to make a new post. When I submitted the error message wasn't exactly applicable. I think it said the user name needed to be 3 character or something, instead of saying not logged in & perhaps instructions to do so.

Again, THANK YOU!