Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#31 of 67 Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Hey there,

Have you tried scrolling down the menu when you see the menu option. At first I could not see it either than I scrolled down and saw the User CP option. In terms of scrolling up the after you read a long thread at the bottom of the page there should be a tiny arrow option facing upwards. If you click on that it will bring you to the top of the page.

Please let me know if you are still having issues with finding your user CP.

Thank you so much

~ GP community support

Hello!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 67 Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Maybe she sees a different menu when she has a post selected?
#33 of 67 Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Ive tried scrolling up and down. I have also trued clicking on anything that looks clickable.

I will find out how to clear cookies and see if i can get back to the updated version. Currently in old version.
#34 of 67 Old 09-05-2014, 07:48 PM

I don't want to clear my cookies. I would lose my saved username etc I think. I am not game to chance clearing everything and my mobile browser doesn't let me clear individual items.

So I won't see the smart phone view again unless it's added somewhere. I would have thought you'd at a button for it like with mobile at the bottom of the page.
#35 of 67 Old 09-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Ok. I have been back in the new version for a few days now. The delay in loading pages is still annoying. The older version is much snappier.

I just went to "latest" for new posts and clicked on a post that looked interesting. I want to reply but I don't know what sub forum it is in so I don't know if it is appropriate to post. Where can I tell what forums posts are in? This was an issue in the previous mobile version too, but at least I could scroll to the bottom of a page and find the firm title. Now I see nothing.

Also, the "buttons" are less sensitive in the new version. I often have to tap three or four times to get the screen to register I wanting to do something.

The page number scroll line a the bottom is still bothersome. Takes up waaaay too much room when I hold my phone in landscape format.

I am on an iPhone 5s, running safari.
#36 of 67 Old 09-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Click the upper right overflow menu and then in settings you can choose the amount of post per page.

Jeff
I have tried. The menu that shows up when I highlight a thread just gives options for opening or copying that thread. No "settings"

Can't find "settings" in upper left or upper right menu. Nor in my user CP.
I am browsing in the older format right now.
Still iphone5, safari browser.
Let me see if I can help you with setting Items per Page now that you are back on the new enhanced version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1410601734803.jpg (171.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg image_1410601752995.jpg (98.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg image_1410601769088.jpg (68.4 KB, 56 views)
#37 of 67 Old 09-13-2014, 03:53 AM
Administrator

See the three little dots on the upper right of the mobile screen view? That's the overflow menu. CLick that:

You will get this. Click on Settings:

Click on Items per Page and you can set it to a higher number.

#38 of 67 Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Ok. I have been back in the new version for a few days now. The delay in loading pages is still annoying. The older version is much snappier.

I just went to "latest" for new posts and clicked on a post that looked interesting. I want to reply but I don't know what sub forum it is in so I don't know if it is appropriate to post. Where can I tell what forums posts are in? This was an issue in the previous mobile version too, but at least I could scroll to the bottom of a page and find the firm title. Now I see nothing.

Also, the "buttons" are less sensitive in the new version. I often have to tap three or four times to get the screen to register I wanting to do something.

The page number scroll line a the bottom is still bothersome. Takes up waaaay too much room when I hold my phone in landscape format.

I am on an iPhone 5s, running safari.

I find some variation with the page loading. Sometimes it's really quick and other times it is quite slow. On an average day I may wait up to ten seconds for a full load, but about 3-5 seconds for a partial load and at that point I can at least read and scroll through the posts. I think my page loading is affected by a number of factors, including my mobile device, my network at the moment I am browsing, and the amount of site traffic we have at that time, and the ads loading on a particular page. I'm not sure we can address this in a clear cut way but we'll take a look at our server load and see if optimizations can be made.

The breadcrumb is lacking for thread view. I too find it very frustrating. @verticalscope , is there something we can do to address this?

I'm on an iPhone 5s on Safari as well and I don't have any issues with the buttons tap on the new version. I usually get immediate delivery of the option I tap on so I'm not sure what the issue might be for your view. If we continue to get reports about this we can look into it further.

#39 of 67 Old 09-14-2014, 12:27 AM

Thanks Cynthia for the replies. I was able to change the settings in newer version but I'm currently in the old version again. Much more snappy, I can see total number of posts a poster has made (great way to detect a spammer), and I can read more per page.
#40 of 67 Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 AM

The smart phone version turned on again for me, and I ended up switching to the mobile version again. I just can't handle the length of time with "loading" slashing on the screen.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the page slider? In most cases that I saw there were hundreds of pages in each forum. If it was having to count those maybe that's adding to the length?
#41 of 67 Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This may have already been mentioned, but here goes:

I'm using an iphone 5 on safari to access MDC. I hate the enhanced mobile view. I honestly dislike everything about it compared to the previous mobile site. My first impression is that it's fancy and "enhanced" for the sake of being fancy. Not because it's actually useful.

My biggest problem, however, is that when I use the desktop version on my phone, it randomly defaults me to the mobile version when a page refreshes (for whatever reason, not actually hitting refresh). I spent a half hour of my morning writing a thoughtful and meaningful post before my DD wakes up and I no longer have time to access the site. I hit the quick reply button and it switched to mobile view, deleting everything I had written. It was so angering. It makes me want to quit using this site, even though this community has changed my life in so many ways over the years.

I REALLY liked the previous website format that auto-saved my replies so that, if needed, they were still there. WHY was this feature lost in the changeover?? My complaint is not isolated. Many of the people posting in threads with me mention similar frustration. How long will we keep wasting precious time and emotions crafting responses that get lost to an overly "intuitive" and worthless format (i.e., the mobile version)?

I'm sure others feel differently about the mobile version: if so, that's fine! But why can't we still have the auto-save feature in the desktop (and/or mobile) version?? It was so helpful and gave me peace of mind to know there was a backup. Even now, I'm highlighting and copying this message in order to avoid a double whammy of frustration. Why should I have to remember to do that every time I post on MDC?

Last edited by skinnyloveBC; 09-18-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Auto-correct mistakes
#42 of 67 Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Yes! I would like to second everything skinnyloveBC wrote above. And add that the absence of a "like" button makes threads fizzle out because many of us have such a challenging time posting and there is no easy way to indicate that we are present and following the conversation.
#43 of 67 Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Grrrrr. I just lost my post again! Retyping....
The comments in this thread are a great illustration of why many of us have reduced our visits to MDC. Check it out:
http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-ta...-new-post.html

@Cynthia mosher
@verticalscope
#44 of 67 Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I agree with the PPs. The new mobile site seems to have lost all features I requested be added to the older version. And, TBH, I can't really be bothered describing them all again.

I have switched to TapaTalk which also lacks many of the features I liked on the old platform but is better than the latest mobile version. I sort of got used to it in the weeks when the new mobile version wouldn't load on my phone. But it has significantly reduced my participation, both reading and posting :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#45 of 67 Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your feedback. I'll bring these issues and feature losses to the attention of VerticalScope. Hopefully we can push an improvement.

#46 of 67 Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
I agree with the PPs. The new mobile site seems to have lost all features I requested be added to the older version. And, TBH, I can't really be bothered describing them all again.

...it has significantly reduced my participation, both reading and posting :-(
Word.

I can't imagine that all these changes are having a positive effect on site traffic. It's way too much work to be active here these days, and yeah I'm done describing all the things that don't work with the new platform. I'm bummed about it though.
#47 of 67 Old 09-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia mosher View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I'll bring these issues and feature losses to the attention of VerticalScope. Hopefully we can push an improvement.
Thank you. The lack of response from the tech crew has been disheartening.

It seems like there was a lot of effort put into the updated version around how it looks visually but very little effort in the areas we users have said are important to us. I appreciate that things take time. It would be nice to have some priorities acknowledged and an update on what goals tech is working toward.
#48 of 67 Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you. The lack of response from the tech crew has been disheartening.

It seems like there was a lot of effort put into the updated version around how it looks visually but very little effort in the areas we users have said are important to us. I appreciate that things take time. It would be nice to have some priorities acknowledged and an update on what goals tech is working toward.

Yes to all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#49 of 67 Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

For those of you on Iphone 5 or any Iphone utilizing ios8 we are aware of the issue and are endeavoring to work around it. This can result in the mobile version turning back on each time. Those of you who are noting slowness of an extreme degree please tell us the model phone you have, the operating system you have, and what browser you're using.
KN Community Support

Hello!
#50 of 67 Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 PM

I just wrote a long reply to this thread and it evaporated just as I went to post it.
Please please please find a way to restore the draft-saving mechanism on MDC! I don't have any more time to re-create my message.
#51 of 67 Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 AM
Administrator

OrmEmbar, we actually do have the functionality for auto save drafts but for some reason it is not working. I already reported this so hopefully it will be resolved soon and we will have the draft save feature back.

#52 of 67 Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Administrator

I take that back. I was looking at a different setting that I thought was an auto save feature. Checking into this more and will ask verticalscope for help as well.

#53 of 67 Old 09-23-2014, 05:50 AM

The drafts being saved was before the port to the new site unfortunately.
#54 of 67 Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Thanks Cynthia!
#55 of 67 Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Ok. My browser automatically loaded the now enhanced version last night so I decided to give it another try.
1) Grrrr... Just had another post deleted when I pressed the post message button.
2) simply touching the screen to scroll down results in a highlighted message about 70% of the time.
3) cannot tell how many posts a member has made without clicking into a new screen.
4) ads take up 1/3 to 1/2 the reading space, with header and footer and page scroll bar taking up much of the rest of the screen.
There is more but I don't want my post deleted so I will post now and hope it goes through.
#56 of 67 Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM

It came up again for me too. I have the same problem with posts getting highlighted all the time. It's annoying.

The thing that made me switch off it again though is the fixed ad taking up so much of the screen. It's just too much. No other site I visit does that.
#57 of 67 Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
i had a problem the other day trying to post. i'm using a samsung galaxy s 3, boat browser, and the swiftkey keyboard app. It was a little bit laggy as I typed, which was kinda annoying, but what was extra annoying was it would randomly duplicate words. "my typing would look lookookoookook like this this this." And a frustrating thing, if I decided to visit my ddc, it usually autocompletes the full url, direct link to my ddc as soon as i start typing "mo" and then i'd just tap it and go straight there. Now that doesn't work. When I tap it, it just takes me to the main forum and I have to navigate to the ddc, which takes several clicks, and waiting for each section to load.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#58 of 67 Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM

I am back to the old version after spending a week in the new version. The older version is so much easier to see. Cleaner look. Faster navigation. I still am wondering what has inspired the new version since it did not add any features that I found useful.

Any update for us on the issues I outlined in post #55 , or on the status of a "like" button?

I'm on iPhone 5s 8.0 os
#59 of 67 Old 10-11-2014, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Bumping this up for @verticalscope . Hope there's good news to share.

#60 of 67 Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Hey guys,

I have communicated all your concerns with the tech team and we will try to get these issues resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for the feedback, have an amazing day

~ GP community support

Hello!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page