Updated Smartphone View Feedback Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Updated Smartphone View Feedback Thread

We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​


If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

Update:

A few of the new features that were added:

Completely replacing the PM system with one that better matches what members see in the desktop version.
A pull-to-refresh functionality has been added on all appropriate pages in addition to the refresh already available in the overflow menu.
A new scrolling feature has been added so that if the user starts scrolling the screen prior to an auto-scroll happening (like moving to a post per the current read position), the auto-scroll is cancelled so the user is not fighting with it.
There is now a font size preview in the Font Size settings page so the members would know what to expect.
Sticky topics can now be hidden from within the page where they are being viewed
The vote count on poll results has been animated to count up along with the bar graph animations that were already present.

Now on to some of the fixes we that have implemented:

After sharing a photo from the media viewer, the user will not be returned to the media viewer instead of the topic.
PMs will now be correctly marked as viewed and word-wrapped.
The forum will now work with iOS Safari if the user had opted to block all cookies.
Double-tapping buttons or links will no longer cause functionality to execute twice.
The text in the header is now re-sizing correctly when members are scrolling through the page or opening the side menu.

Please give this newly improved version of the mobile view a try and feel free to let us know what you think in the feedback thread.

Thank you.



Hello!

Last edited by motheringadmin; 11-07-2014 at 01:39 PM.
verticalscope is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 PM
 
alittlemischief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: never far from home
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I quite like it- it's a very clean interface. Though I do enjoy surfing through the 'new posts' link that used to be above the forum/sub forum categories and I can't find it anymore. Can you point me in the right direction?
alittlemischief is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM
 
alittlemischief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: never far from home
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
No stress - I found it
Anyone else that us struggling with this it's in the top left drop-down menu and it's simply titled 'latest'.
alittlemischief is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:05 PM
 
monkeyscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
My first impression is YUCK. It takes a long time to load. There's a permanent ad floating at the bottom of the screen that takes up space that could be used for more viewing. The user info is gone (again), making it seem like a complete waste of space to have the user name/avatar off to the side. Also, at least one post I've looked at is displaying the BB code instead of properly formatting the text (the one I saw is for the mention code). And that's from less than 5 minutes of use.

Oh, and not finding it at all intuitive to reply/edit/etc, though maybe that will come with time.

Last edited by monkeyscience; 08-25-2014 at 05:06 PM.
monkeyscience is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:13 PM
 
monkeyscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Annnnd apparently the new version doesn't automatically subscribe me to threads I reply to. (Using a fairly new Android phone, FYI.)

Also, not that I want to, but how would I switch back to the enhanced site from the original mobile site?
monkeyscience is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM
 
monkeyscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
On the plus side, I noticed the new version does preview the last post made to a thread instead of the first one. That is less confusing.
monkeyscience is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Took a while to figure out how to reply!

Ditto to the previous posts. In addition... I like to read with my phone turned horizontal (landscape) so the words can be bigger and I can set the phone down while nursing.
That permanent floating ad takes up so much space that I can only see a few lines at a time.
iPhone 5s, Safari
OrmEmbar is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
My first impression is YUCK. It takes a long time to load. There's a permanent ad floating at the bottom of the screen that takes up space that could be used for more viewing. The user info is gone (again), making it seem like a complete waste of space to have the user name/avatar off to the side. Also, at least one post I've looked at is displaying the BB code instead of properly formatting the text (the one I saw is for the mention code). And that's from less than 5 minutes of use.

Oh, and not finding it at all intuitive to reply/edit/etc, though maybe that will come with time.
Can you provide a link to the BB code post? Also need your Phone, software, and browser info.

Thanks,
Jeff



Hello!
verticalscope is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
Annnnd apparently the new version doesn't automatically subscribe me to threads I reply to. (Using a fairly new Android phone, FYI.)

Also, not that I want to, but how would I switch back to the enhanced site from the original mobile site?
On mobile replying to a thread will put you into a category of participation however you do have the open to follow it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jeff



Hello!
verticalscope is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
Took a while to figure out how to reply!

Ditto to the previous posts. In addition... I like to read with my phone turned horizontal (landscape) so the words can be bigger and I can set the phone down while nursing.
That permanent floating ad takes up so much space that I can only see a few lines at a time.
iPhone 5s, Safari
We do not have the option to turn ads off at this point but it may be something for premium members as we move forward.

Jeff



Hello!
verticalscope is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 12:23 PM
 
monkeyscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Can you provide a link to the BB code post? Also need your Phone, software, and browser info.

Thanks,
Jeff
http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/1398940-fertility-challenged-graduates-thread-spring-summer-2014-a-20.html#post17952090 is the post. I have a Samsung S4 Active, Android 4.4.2 (or something like that), using the built in browser.

Will the "old" version of the website continue to be available indefinitely? It is much easier to read because you spend less time scrolling, since there is significantly more space for the text of each message.
monkeyscience is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM
 
Springshowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I turned off the enhanced mode because I couldn't figure out how to edit my post.

1. Can you edit a post in the new enhanced mode?

2. Once turned off how do you turn it on again?

Thanks.

Samsung s5 android 4.4.2

Last edited by Springshowers; 08-27-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Springshowers is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM
 
monkeyscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Just noticed the timestamps on the posts are all wrong now. For instance, the post just prior to this one says it's from 12:46 am today, but it clearly isn't, because all of my posts prior to it (which are all listed as yesterday) were made today, way after 12:46 am. I can't find anything in my user CP about time zone selection.

Not 100% sure that this is related to the new mobile site, but it seems like an awfully strange coincidence if it isn't.
monkeyscience is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM
 
Springshowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My timestamp should be okay now. In user cp-edit options you can change the time zone, but only in the desktop view.

This happened to me during the port and I corrected it. Somehow it got changed again.
Springshowers is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 PM
 
katelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hm, I wonder if this is why I haven't been able to access MDC via my web browser (dolphin) yesterday or today. When I try to load MDC I just get a white screen with a pulsing grey box in the centre which says "loading". Only it doesn't. I'm on an iPhone. I've tried many times. Finally logged on via Tapatalk (which I do not love) to see what was going on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

katelove is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 PM
 
Springshowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
That happened to someone else I know. When she opened it using www.mothering.com (instead of the longer link she used) though I think it worked. Maybe it was being confused by a certain URL and not loading?

Samsung s5 android 4.4.2

Last edited by Springshowers; 08-27-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Springshowers is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 AM
 
katelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Thanks. I just tried it. I can open the main mothering.com page, no problem. But, when I go to the menu and click on 'Forum' I get the same problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

katelove is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 AM
Administrator
 
cynthia mosher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arabia!
Posts: 38,755
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Just a reminder - please let us know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues. We want to try to work out all the bugs so thanks for your help in reporting problems you encounter - even if it is an initial "YUCK".

cynthia mosher is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Administrator
 
cynthia mosher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arabia!
Posts: 38,755
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
iPhone 5 version 7.1.2 on Safari

Clicking the upper right dropdown (3 dots) and then to the Help section the text that displays when you click on a topic is difficult to read due to the light color of the font. Can that be changed to black?
cynthia mosher is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 05:08 AM
 
Springshowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I can't give any more feedback because I don't know how to turn on that view again.

Presumably it will be added to "user cp - edit options - quick style chooser" at some point.
Springshowers is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 AM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
That permanent floating ad takes up so much space that I can only see a few lines at a time. i
We do not have the option to turn ads off at this point but it may be something for premium members as we move forward.

Jeff
Does the ad need to be fixed in place at the bottom of the screen?

iPhone 5s, 7.1.2, Safari
OrmEmbar is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 AM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Loading is very slow compared to previous version.

Is there a way to load more than 10 posts or topics at a time? If I have to wait I would appreciate having more to read through.

Also, moving through pages within a thread is challenging. Sometimes the arrow needs to be pressed 3 or 4 times. Using the left/right scroll function is not very accurate, especially when nursing a wiggly toddler! The previous version was much easier. Clear large buttons to tap.
iPhone 5s, 7.1.2, safari
OrmEmbar is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post
I turned off the enhanced mode because I couldn't figure out how to edit my post.

1. Can you edit a post in the new enhanced mode?

2. Once turned off how do you turn it on again?

Thanks.

Samsung s5 android 4.4.2
1. Yes, you should be able to. You hold the post down to highlight it and then tap the overflow menu in the upper right corner.

2. Clear Browser cookies and cache

Thanks,
Jeff



Hello!
verticalscope is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
Just noticed the timestamps on the posts are all wrong now. For instance, the post just prior to this one says it's from 12:46 am today, but it clearly isn't, because all of my posts prior to it (which are all listed as yesterday) were made today, way after 12:46 am. I can't find anything in my user CP about time zone selection.

Not 100% sure that this is related to the new mobile site, but it seems like an awfully strange coincidence if it isn't.
Is the mobile web showing a different timestamp then the actual forum for the same post?

Jeff



Hello!
verticalscope is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post
I can't give any more feedback because I don't know how to turn on that view again.

Presumably it will be added to "user cp - edit options - quick style chooser" at some point.
To access it again clear your browser cookies and data.

Jeff



Hello!
verticalscope is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator
 
verticalscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
Loading is very slow compared to previous version.

Is there a way to load more than 10 posts or topics at a time? If I have to wait I would appreciate having more to read through.

Also, moving through pages within a thread is challenging. Sometimes the arrow needs to be pressed 3 or 4 times. Using the left/right scroll function is not very accurate, especially when nursing a wiggly toddler! The previous version was much easier. Clear large buttons to tap.
iPhone 5s, 7.1.2, safari
Click the upper right overflow menu and then in settings you can choose the amount of post per page.

Jeff



Hello!
verticalscope is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 07:27 PM
 
monkeyscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Is the mobile web showing a different timestamp then the actual forum for the same post?

Jeff
Sorry, I didn't check before using Springshowers's suggestion to fix the issue. I can say that both desktop and mobile versions had correct times prior to this newest change.
monkeyscience is online now  
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It looks like, once we're in a thread, we have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to return to the forum we were viewing ... is that right?

I have an iPhone 5c and am using Safari, and my phone has a feature where if you tap the top of the browser, it takes you to the top of the page. But on this enhanced MDC, that feature isn't working, so I have to manually scroll up before I can go back to the forum I was in to view more threads. It's very cumbersome.

I also don't like that the ad on the bottom (or, in multiple-page threads, the page selection bar) on the screen blocks me from being able to use the "back" button on my browser. Now I have to tap the top of the screen to get the back button to pop up, then use the back button. Again, cumbersome, especially when on every other site I use I'm able to activate the back button from the bottom of the screen, so that's my reflex and I keep accidentally clicking on the ad (or page selection bar) instead.

Last edited by limabean; 08-28-2014 at 08:31 AM.
limabean is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
It looks like, once we're in a thread, we have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to return to the forum we were viewing ... is that right?

I have an iPhone 5c and am using Safari, and my phone has a feature where if you tap the top of the browser, it takes you to the top of the page. But on this enhanced MDC, that feature isn't working, so I have to manually scroll up before I can go back to the forum I was in to view more threads. It's very cumbersome.

I also don't like that the ad on the bottom (or, in multiple-page threads, the page selection bar) on the screen blocks me from being able to use the "back" button on my browser. Now I have to tap the top of the screen to get the back button to pop up, then use the back button. Again, cumbersome, especially when on every other site I use I'm able to activate the back button from the bottom of the screen, so that's my reflex and I keep accidentally clicking on the ad (or page selection bar) instead.
I'd like a response to the above, please. Any plans to address these concerns?
limabean is offline  
Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 PM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalscope View Post
Click the upper right overflow menu and then in settings you can choose the amount of post per page.

Jeff
I have tried. The menu that shows up when I highlight a thread just gives options for opening or copying that thread. No "settings"

Can't find "settings" in upper left or upper right menu. Nor in my user CP.
I am browsing in the older format right now.
Still iphone5, safari browser.
OrmEmbar is online now  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off