I know this isn't an MDC question, but I'm desperate.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2004, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dh royally messed up my computer. Everything is gigantic and *all* websites have the same background color.

What I have done so far:

-Set internet options to "windows default" color schemes
-Gone into my control panel and set font size to "normal"
-gone to the "view" tab on internet explorer and set text to small

I think that's it. Still, all font is huge, and all background colors are the brown I've set it too. When Dh had it messed up everything was bright white and it was painful to look at. I've tried getting back to normal with no success so I just chose a color that wouldn't give me a headache.

I'm just hate not being able to view sites as they are supposed to look. MDC is supposed to be blue

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2004, 04:27 PM

Do you have a mouse with a scroll wheel on it? If so, hold the Ctrl key and scroll the wheel. That should fix your size problem. Post back of it doesn't!

For the colors - when you go into Internet Options under Tools and click Colors on the bottom of the first tabbed page, do you have "Windows Default" checked?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Scrolling the mouse works in my email window, but not on the net, and windows default colors is checked.

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:52 PM

Darn...sorry. What version of IE are you using?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:26 PM

My toddler just did this to me this morning! LOL!!

For me, what worked was going to the Control Panel and clicking Display. At the Appearance Tab, check Windows & Buttons, Color Scheme & Font Size. Make sure Font Size is at Normal. Actually, even they are set there, go ahead and change them again to 'reset' it. Then double check the Settings Tab. What is your resolution set at? Also check out the Advanced button. The DPI setting should probably be at 'normal - 96 DPI'.

HTH some!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauira
Darn...sorry. What version of IE are you using?
What;s IE
Old 10-20-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
What;s IE
Sorry...Internet Explorer.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauira
Sorry...Internet Explorer.
Ty I don't know what version it is. I installed XP maybe 2 years ago. Does that help? Is there a way I can find out the version?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Fullofgrace - thank-you for your suggestions. I went and checked all the things you mentioned. No luck
Old 10-20-2004, 05:49 PM

OH! Had another thought!!! At the top of your IE browser, try:

TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > ACCESSIBILITY > Make sure NONE of the options there are checked off. If they are, uncheck them.

I have another idea too, but I have to go refresh my memory on where it is! LOL!!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
OH! Had another thought!!! At the top of your IE browser, try:

TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > ACCESSIBILITY > Make sure NONE of the options there are checked off. If they are, uncheck them.

I have another idea too, but I have to go refresh my memory on where it is! LOL!!
None were checked
Old 10-20-2004, 06:22 PM

If your writing is still too big only in IE, than go to View>Text Size> and than change it accordingly.

Wait scratch that, U already did it. LOL I gotta go now, Ill be back now to see how I can help!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 PM

Also, If you are unable to fix it, you can go and set your system back a few days, before he messed with it, but that would be a last option!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:25 PM

Gosh, that was my next suggestion... The accessability option.
What the heck did he do!?
I seriously can't think of anything else.

The only other thing it could be is that he changed the 'style sheet'. But, that would be almost impossible to do without knowing you did it.

To see what version of IE you have go to Help at the top of your browser and then About Internet Explorer.

Did you try going to View (at top of browser) and then Text Size... and making sure it's set on like Medium? That may fix your text size.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Holli,

the desktop looks normal, but the background is the same color as all IE sites in our e-mails programs (incredimail and outlook), IM messengers, My Documents, etc... The font size is fine on all the other programs though.

Dh has no idea what he did. The font starting getting messed up randomly a day or two before he messed everything up. The font size is what he was trying to fix when he messed it all up. He feels just awful. He admits that he should have just asked me to fix it rather than poking around on *my* computer

And yes, when we have a little more money I think I will be buying a BBH cover. Your raving of them has got me curious :LOL

I appreciate everyone trying to help me! It is such a weird thing.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:29 PM

Oh, another thing. To fix the scrolling.
Go to Tools then Internet options then click on the Advanced tab. Make sure 'Use smooth scrolling' is checked.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

My IE version is 6.0 with a whole bunch of numbers after that! I've tried using the view - then text size and that isn't it. The print is all in bold as well

I've tried drilling him on what he did. He was definately messing alot in the control panel with the display items. He uses MSN explorer so he wasn't messing in IE.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, here is something weird. Each internet page I go to is different as far as text size. I went to the FTP and the text was set to medium, but it was huge. So, I go to view and set it to small and it looked normal. I come back to mothering where everything is huge. So, I go to view and set text size to smallest and *nothing* happens. The text stays huge.

I think I may just have to reset my computer back to last week This is so strange and its driving me nuts.

Could it be a virus?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:43 PM

He definitely did something with the display. Can you check and tell us what resolution your computer is set at pretty please? You can find that out by going to your computer's control panel, then display, then click the settings tab, then peek at the bottom left of that window. It will tell you what your monitor's resolution is set at now that your DH played in there. For instance, mine is set at 1024 X 768 pixels.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Holli. I'm sure you have enough going on, so I completely understand if it takes you awhile to get back to me.

Yes, he was messing with a lot of stuff in the display area os the control panel. ALL the programs have the same background. Even the desktop did until I set it back to fall leaves. But when I tried to set backgrounds back to "default" my only choice was to pick a color I went hunting for a windows "default" but only found the choices to make the window frames silver, green, or blue.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
He definitely did something with the display. Can you check and tell us what resolution your computer is set at pretty please? You can find that out by going to your computer's control panel, then display, then click the settings tab, then peek at the bottom left of that window. It will tell you what your monitor's resolution is set at now that your DH played in there. For instance, mine is set at 1024 X 768 pixels.
Mine is set at 1024 x 768 also. He had it set somewhere different when I first came to fix things back. He remembered where it was before so I set it back. He also did something to the color quality, and I set it back to 32-bit.

I'm glad you guys are asking some good questions. Some of what he did is coming back to me. I was so overwhelmed by the mess I found that I must have forgot some stuff.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Ahhhh I wonder if he maybe changed the computer's theme while he was at it! LOL!

try going to control panel, then display, then click the themes tab, then in the drop down box on the left, see if you can change it to Windows XP or any other choice your computer may have set there. Maybe that will help with the background color problem for now.

Actually htat may be what HE did which is why everything is the same color now -- it's all set to a theme versus all being set up with the custom stuff.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:48 PM

Did you check Accessability under the Control Panel? There's a wizard that deals with some of that stuff.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahhhh I wonder if he maybe changed the computer's theme while he was at it! LOL!

try going to control panel, then display, then click the themes tab, then in the drop down box on the left, see if you can change it to Windows XP or any other choice your computer may have set there. Maybe that will help with the background color problem for now.

Actually htat may be what HE did which is why everything is the same color now -- it's all set to a theme versus all being set up with the custom stuff.
I changed it to windows XP and it made all the screens white. Talk about a major headache, lol. I will try some different themes and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:53 PM

It made them WHITE? Ewwww. Mine is set at XP and I don't have headachy white. Weird! I'm so sorry!

Just another thought... Have you run your antivirus and spyware removal programs lately to see if that could be interfering with being able to have your settings 'hold'?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know I'm about to give this computer to the kids for games and stuff and get a new one. It has just about no virtual memory left and now this problem
Old 10-20-2004, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
Ty I don't know what version it is. I installed XP maybe 2 years ago. Does that help? Is there a way I can find out the version?
Oh mama...have you not formatted in 2 years??

I am so glad these girls are here to help... my suggestion is to back up anything you need and format.

If you aren't comfortable with that, to generally fix your computer health, download this to start: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html This is will find spyware, adware, etc. You said you have no virtual memory left so finding things running in the background that you aren't aware of will really help that.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:05 PM

Oh, and I am not sure if you are interested in buying soon, but there is a 41% coupon for a Dell 4600C. Only good until tomorrow AM. I just tried it and it still works.

http://notebookforums.com/showthread...971#post492971

HTH!!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

OMG I fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank-you all SO much! I played around in the accesability area and its all normal now!

User Tag List