Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://lotsofkids.com/LOK-Features/Articles/troll.htm
#3 of 19 Old 10-24-2004, 12:36 PM

My definition of a troll is people who come here to stir up trouble. They do not have much interest in Mothering or AP parenting. They are here to have fun by pissing as many off as possible. There are some trolls here that are allowed to stay for some unknown reason. They continue to stir up trouble and get away with it freely.

IT SUCKS!!!
#4 of 19 Old 10-24-2004, 08:13 PM

I agree with Marg.
And it does suck!
#5 of 19 Old 10-24-2004, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weebitty2
Really great article- thanks!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 19 Old 10-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg of Arabia
My definition of a troll is people who come here to stir up trouble. They do not have much interest in Mothering or AP parenting. They are here to have fun by pissing as many off as possible. There are some trolls here that are allowed to stay for some unknown reason. They continue to stir up trouble and get away with it freely.

IT SUCKS!!!
Marg certainly hit the nail on the head!
#7 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 11:50 PM

I am trying to get my head around this concept of a troll. The article at lots of kids was informative, but this bit disturbed me.
Quote:
Trolling is a form of terrorism, a form of control. Like when fighting any kind of terrorism, we cannot give in to our fears.
Am also wondering if *I* fit the definition of a troll......

It makes me feel a bit sad. Now, I'm wondering, does that sound like I'm trying to emotionally manipulate others? I'm sorry if it does, not trying to do that at all....... I just write what I think, you know? I try & leave out the not-so-helpful stuff, but.................

Man....................... I think I think too much. Or maybe I'm just too willing to give the benefit of doubt......

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#8 of 19 Old 11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

Cynthia, it's curious that you've never responded to the OP.

I personally would be very interested in seeing a public, working definition of "troll" here. It would be very useful, IMO, in helping everyone determine who does and does not qualify, and likely would also stop a lot of the grumbling that's been going on lately.

Just think - it would likely cut down on your work and the mods' work. That way, you'd not have a bunch of us running to you quite as frequently saying that there's a troll afoot, when in fact said alleged troll doesn't, and likely never would, qualify as a "troll" under whatever definition, if any, that you're using.

To be a troll, does one need to post messages and threads that a majority, or a minority, or some other number of the readers of a particular forum would find to be baiting? Or are "trolls" only those who allegedly bait you and/or the mods? Or is some other definition being used?
#9 of 19 Old 11-02-2004, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Cynthia, I will PM you later so I don't talk about other threads or members here.

A MDC definition would be helpful. Thanks.
#10 of 19 Old 11-02-2004, 03:29 PM

generic info
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=212723
#11 of 19 Old 11-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
As I told you clearly in your PM to me questioning the same thing Marlena we have no clear cut troll definition. The OP asked what the definition of a troll is and she got a few responses that seemed sufficient for her question.

As for administration and moderating purposes here we look at each situation as it arises and decide, case by case. We don't have a one, two, three criteria for you to hold up to members and judge them by. Nor is there a need or desire on our part for members to do so. That's our job. We've always advised members to not respond to posts they believe are by trolls and to report those they suspect to be trolls. Thereafter it is for us to look into and decide and take action or not.

Does that clarify it for you?

#12 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Banned

The question arises, not only for myself but, as you are well aware, for many other people here, because you've consistently allowed a few obvious trolls - well, at least as perceived by large number of us - to continue posting. They are trolls according to the various definitions posted here. So if the OP is satisfied, I'm not sure why. I'm sure not. I'll bet others aren't, either.

So no, neither your response here nor your response to me via PM clarifies the question at all.
#13 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Then I can't help you Marlena. We don't have/use such definitions here as official measuring sticks. We look at each case and decide.

#14 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Banned

Perhaps we can take this tact, then: what does "baiting" mean to you, Cynthia? Could you perhaps give an example of a baiting post?

Though that's a useless tact if, for example, you don't think that baiting is a part of being a troll.

Perhaps, then, you could provide us with an example of behavior you've considered to be "trollish" in the past. As you have, in fact, banned at least several members on account of being trolls. What qualified as "trollish" in the past?

Or are you taking the Fifth?
#15 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Whatever I might provide you as an example from the past is not appropriate for you to use as a claim of trollism evidence against another member here. As I have said each and every case is different and looked at individually and decided on. So an example would be pointless. You are not is the position of authority or responbsibility to identify or label a member as a troll. So it's not really something for you to be overly concerned with. Just post according to the UA and you'll have no problem. Those whose posting irritate you you can put on ignore and be done with.

#16 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
So it's not really something for you to be overly concerned with. Just post according to the UA and you'll have no problem.
But this, with all due respect, is patently nonsense. One can't post according to the UA if one can't get a proper working definition of relevant terms and concepts.

Otherwise, it becomes somewhat like a little dictatorship, where the administrator is dictator and can discipline or even remove his serfs and subjects at his whim, and where there is no recourse to procedure or rules of law.

I mean, that's fine, if you want MotheringDotDictatorship, but you allegedly have MotheringDotCommune here. There's quite a disconnect!
#17 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlena
But this, with all due respect, is patently nonsense. One can't post according to the UA if one can't get a proper working definition of relevant terms and concepts.

Otherwise, it becomes somewhat like a little dictatorship, where the administrator is dictator and can discipline or even remove his serfs and subjects at his whim, and where there is no recourse to procedure or rules of law.

I mean, that's fine, if you want MotheringDotDictatorship, but you allegedly have MotheringDotCommune here. There's quite a disconnect!
#18 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher
As I told you clearly in your PM to me questioning the same thing Marlena we have no clear cut troll definition. The OP asked what the definition of a troll is and she got a few responses that seemed sufficient for her question.

As for administration and moderating purposes here we look at each situation as it arises and decide, case by case. We don't have a one, two, three criteria for you to hold up to members and judge them by. Nor is there a need or desire on our part for members to do so. That's our job. We've always advised members to not respond to posts they believe are by trolls and to report those they suspect to be trolls. Thereafter it is for us to look into and decide and take action or not.

Does that clarify it for you?

With allllll due respect, CM, this sounds so very suceptible to being very subjective. Is that what this "community" is about? Subjective determinations of who should be allowed to stay and who not?
#19 of 19 Old 11-03-2004, 06:30 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page