is there a SAHM forum? - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

#211 of 232 Old 11-16-2004, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok!!

Even the BABYCENTER has a stay at home forum!!!! They also have a working mom forum. They appear to co-exist peacefully. So mainstream SAHM have alot to talk about, but AP SAHM don't? They could have also easily posted in the "other forums" but they acknowledged the need for SAHM to have their own forum. After all, it is only fair.

So why on earth would a site based on a magazine called Mothering, not have a forum for SAHM?

Good grief, I don't get it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
indie and wasabi, the OP was being answered by several members from the very start and she herself had posted to comment on having read the previous threads on the topic. So it seemed unnecessary to respond with repetitious information. You'll notice also that if a new member asks a question and helpful active members respond with sufficient info I don't step in to post. Only if I have something additional to add. And I didn't, so I didn't.

I think the "incongruous statements" are simply people sharing their thoughts. Doesn't make them right or wrong. Just opinions and thoughts. Discussing and sharing input.

Quote:
And as for the idea that SAHMs should just post elsewhere I guess I don't see why the WOHMs post questions about feeding and other parenting issues in their forum. That forum is not simply work related questions.
I think the posting in that forum is pretty much focused on working mama issues and are appropriate for it. It can be tricky at times and some questions that might fit in breastfeeding really do get better responses in the Working Mamas board because of the work related issues tied in with the question. But if they are about specific feeding or specific BFing issues, or nighttime parenting, etc., then we do move those to the appropriate forum. So we take discussions one by one and if they need to be moved we do so. If we miss any you are welcome to direct our attention to it. I did take the time to check the Working Mamas threads over the last month and a half and I think the vast majority, with maybe a few exceptions, are very much work related and issues that are specific to working mamas. But as I said you are welcome to show us what you find to be misplaced posts in that forum and we'll take a look and move things as appropriate.

I guess I don't see what's wrong with telling you (general you ) to be careful in your posting. We have certainly done so with working mamas as well and have redirected and sometimes removed posts/threads they have posted that were inappropriate and contributive to the problems here between WOHMs and SAHMs. It's really not a one-sided thing though it may certainly feel that way when the focus happens to be on a thread you are participating in and you aren't aware of our actions and words elsewhere.

rainbow, in answer to your question, and I answer this personally, my own opinion - no, I don't see the need for a SAHM forum. I see MDC as based on SAHMothering. No, I have not taken a poll or a headcount to reach that opinion. It's just the feel of the forum, of the discussions, that the norm is SAH and the exception is WOH mothering. So discussions of relevance and interest to SAHMs are already in existence as the basis of the forums here. WOHMs and WAHMs share in these discussions yet they do have specific circumstances and issues that are separate in topic and not shared by their sister SAHMs and get lost in the vast amount of SAH parenting discussions here that take place on the boards.

Looking at the list of threads you pulled up that you've pointed me to as exemplary of SAHM discussions:

SAHP's: give me advice on what NOT to do - This is fine in the Parents As Partners board as it is asking SAHMs "tell me the things your working partners do / don't do that really bother you..."

Kids do not appreciate me being SAHM! perfectly fine in Parenting Issues but could also be in The Childhood Years as it seems to be a focus on children.

Divorce/SAHM in Single Parenting - perfectly appropriate there as it is considering the issues and needs of becoming a single parent.

need pro-SAHM advice discussion of a friend who wants to be a SAHM but husband wants her to work. Asking for advice on convincing the husband - fine in Parenting Issues.

Searching for a way to be a SAHM - Anyone had success selling discovery toys? Really might have done better in WAHM Well but is acceptable in Working Mamas as a SAHM seeking work opportunities to be a WAHM.

Single mamas that are SAHM too... Perfect in Single Parenting

SAHP's, do you get to call in sick? Fine in Parenting Issues

I'll stop there as it's basically the same for the remaining threads and much or all of other threads that have been listed.

My point is that all these topics are very much default discussions for mothers here at MDC. Where they fit in depends much on the topic.

Now you could say the same for Working Mamas dicussions but the creation of those subforums in Parenting Issues was to organize the topics specific to those groups because they tend to get lost in the posting of what is more SAHP-focused in our usual discussions in Parenting Issues and the other boards that are topic specific, not group specific. When you have a large number of SAHMs posting to PI and a single post that is specific to WOHMs is placed there it quickly gets buried. That's what happened with such threads as well as the special needs posts, the adoption posts, the single parenting posts, and so on. So it was an organizational need due to the basis of MDC and its topic forums being about and for SAH parenting discussions.

Quote:
but they don't do just fine on other boards especially when we are asked to watch what we say on those threads. how is that not censorship in a way?
We don't shy away from being told we are censoring. Moderation can be censoring when we pull threads and ask for edits or direct discusssions, if that's what you want to call it. Our job is to make sure discussions stay welcoming and confortable as much as possible and that members post in adherence to the UA. And it bears repeating that setting up a SAHM forum would not suddenly open doors for posting that we find inappropriate. We would still ask you to watch your posting and be considerate of others just as we do everyday to all sorts of threads and members. It is not just a SAHM issue.

Quote:
and like I said previously why would I post an important issue on the FYT thread that's buried on the 2nd page? why not a forum where I can get quicker (and direct) answers specific to my issues?
Well, because a request for a forum was made to us and our criteria is to request that a FYT thread be started for the focus to demonstrate the sort of posting that would take place on such a forum if granted. If the FYT thread is too chit chatty and people are posting their real issues and concerns to the existing boards then that conveys it pretty clearly that a separate board is not really necessary and that SAHMs just need a tribe thread to connect and chit chat and that their parenting and other personal discussions are served well in the existing forums.

Quote:
Do you really think a SAHM forum would NOT be supported here at MDC?
It's not a point of it being wanted or supported. Every request I've every received for a new forum has been wanted and supported. That doesn't make it a necessary forum though.

Quote:
so then you do admit the FYT threads get too lengthy?
btw I would like to see that post if you wouldn't mind reposting it. (it wasn't in this thread, right?)
The tribe threads can get lengthy. Just take a look at the other identity-focused groups there and you'll find it's true for their tribe threads as well. But they do manage to continue and in doing so surely get the support and connection they hope for in establishing and posting to such a thread.

Our point in asking you to post in FYT for your forum request purpose is for you to demonstrate need. If SAHMs do more chit chatting in the thread than anything else that makes a pretty clear statement, don't you think? We can recognize the need for what it is and simply stick with the Tribe thread and they can start a new one when the current one gets too long.

As for my post, I don't have a link for you. You'll probably find it in the last long thread on this topic. Or you can do a search of my username in this forum and specifying SAHM as the search term.

Quote:
I think many of us do understand it's a big deal and it IS a big deal to some of us too! maybe that still does not prove our NEED for a forum to MDC..I'm not sure how else we can prove it either when we are repeatedly told that all the forums are appropriate to post SAHM issues but they really are not when we are told to watch what we say. :Scratch
Your concern seems to be more focused on our moderation of threads and stepping in when we see discussions turning toward inappropriateness or tense issues. I'm afraid that has nothing to do with a separate forum and will continue regardless of our decisions about a SAHM forum. I can't take the feeling of being censored away. But I will share with you what I did with one member who I communicated with privately about this issue:

In the SAHM situation it is appropriate to say that "I feel my child's care is best given by me and my partner and not by another caregiver." But it would be stepping into a broad generalization and judgment of others to say "I feel that a child who spends several hours a day in the care of someone other than the parent is not being raised by the parents". That's a strong statement that touches many people and it is about someone else's child other than yours. Yes, it's your opinion. But is that in keeping with the guidelines which ask that we consider and respect the diverse community we have and help create and maintain a comfortable posting atmosphere?

I think sometimes our pride in being SAHMs blinds us to the situations and feelings of others. We're asking everyone to try to keep those feelings in mind and manage to discuss issues and concerns and opinions in a way that is compassionate yet self respecting too.

Quote:
the reason I asked is because I felt like the SAHM's were told to post in PI and then were seemingly reprimanded before a discussion even barely got going. (at least that's what it felt like on this end)
I think my explanation above explains our concerns for what was being posted in that thread and why we felt the need to redirect the thread when we did.

meowee..
Quote:
The FYT venue is a poor place to judge the needs of SAHMs. It does not feel like a "safe place" for most SAHMs because the thread gets so long and is quickly buried.
That's a bit oxymoronic. If the thread is so long that means it is posted to frequently. That should serve to keep it up top, not bury it quickly.

If SAHMs are posting to the tribe thread to discuss the issues they feel are deserving of a separate forum, issues that truly are about SAHM issues not shared by the rest of the MDC community, then it doesn't really matter how long the thread is or how quickly it gets buried. The posting is up to the SAHMs. The reading of the thread to decide on it meeting criteria for a separate forum is up to us. And we do read them.

Quote:
Additionally, if posting activity is a criteria for creating a subforum, then several of the parenting subforums and subforums elsewhere ought to be eliminated, as they get little traffic and posts to their topic would not overcrowd the main forum.
Activity is not the only thing looked at nor is it necessarily a requirement of the criteria. It is part but only part.

Quote:
This is about creating a "safe space." This very issue of safety was used by a mod in a poll in the queer parenting subforum about whether the character of the subforum should be expanded to encompass alternative parenting in general. I apologize for referring to a thread elsewhere but this is a piece of information apropos to the SAHP voices speaking here in this thread.
If it is about creating a safe space then we'll just say no right now. We will be responsible for MDC being a safe space for everyone, no matter where they post.

Quote:
*I'm happy I'm at home with my child, because I love being around her and want to be with her as much as possible*, without someone thinking that we're implying that WOHMs don't love being around their children and don't want to be with them as much as possible.
If someone thinks or feels that then that's their problem. What we want curbed is the posting that pulls in judgment and generalization that extends to the children and families of others. The "I" language example I gave above demonstrates this as does your example which is an acceptable statement and not one that anyone shoud take issue with. If they do and they do so on the boards somewhere we will address that. If we don't (with the vast amount of posting we don't read everything everyday so things do get missed) you can point us to it so we can.

Quote:
Granted, some of the concerns are to do with parenting our children, but a large part of what has been broached in this thread are issues of identity, feminism, etc. that are UNIQUE to SAHM(P)s.
mommyofone it's hard to understand from your post if you are a SAHM or a WOHM so I'm not quite getting your point. Also you said:
Quote:
It's frowned upon here to be proud of or even content with the choice to be SAHM. If you express a sentiment to that effect, you're either accused of being insensitive, judgmental, or cautioned in some way to watch your words. I would never EVER impune a WOHM and their choices...that's their family and I don't know their situation, etc. Frankly, it's none of my business. I think that everyone interested in such a forum completely understands that it is inappropriate (and unfair & unfounded) to bash or criticize WOHMs, to assume that "we're" requesting a forum for that purpose or somehow would fail to conduct ourselves properly is, well, quite insulting.
Perhaps the way things are stated is the problem. We've most certainly seen loaded statements come from parents of all sorts that are intended to be a "sharing my opinion" but actually blanket other groups with their judgments and remarks. Perhaps you would never impune a WOHM or WAHM or any other sort of parent but some have done and do so. So any assumptions that you feel from us are likely stemming from the multitude of issues that we handle here everyday, day in and day out, that we see as a part of the picture and a reasonable concern. If you aren't aware of them then perhaps it's becasue we do what we can to keep such things out of the community. Please don't feel insulted. It doesn't mean we are pointing a finger at you personally. Rather, look upon it as an aspect that you are unaware of and uninvolved in but that we are very closely a part of as the moderation and administration of this community.

Quote:
Even the BABYCENTER has a stay at home forum!!!! They also have a working mom forum. They appear to co-exist peacefully. So mainstream SAHM have alot to talk about, but AP SAHM don't? They could have also easily posted in the "other forums" but they acknowledged the need for SAHM to have their own forum. After all, it is only fair. So why on earth would a site based on a magazine called Mothering, not have a forum for SAHM?
Good grief, I don't get it
We're not BabyCenter and we likely have different reasons for doing things the way we do. And definitely we are a different community. MDC is SAHM centered while also being supportive of AP and NFL WAHMs and WOHMs. But now I'm talking in circles again coming back to the same thing that has been said over and over. So I'll stop here.

I will discuss this with Peggy as soon as possible for her. Thanks for your patience.

#213 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 04:45 PM

I really don't have the time to search all of the forums for SAH threads that interest me. Often I just use the new posts button... or go to one forum that interests me. And really I spend way too much time on this board already! I would be very happy to see a stay at home forum just for the sheer convenience of it.
I just used the search function and it worked quite well! There have been times in the past where it hasnt worked so well for me though.That sort of ruins my above arguement!

:
#214 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher
Looking at the list of threads you pulled up that you've pointed me to as exemplary of SAHM discussions
I see what you're saying about MDC being a SAHM place predominantly (in short...)

But I wanted to point out the the list of threads on my "In lieu of..." thread took a looooooooooong time to put together, and I'm still not done. I had to search with several different criteria, like "sahm" "sahm's" "sahd" "sahd's" "sahp" "sahp's" "stay at home" etc. bc not every thread came up with every search. Then I labored over sorting them by forum, and started to sort them by date.

As I created this thread I got many responses, including private PM's; some saying that they either found threads that they never saw bc they were buried in TAO, or found threads of great interest to them that they missed the first time around. As I said, I'm still not finished compiling this list (tho a little burned out by it...).

I agree that all of these threads could stay where they were originally put, but I also see how many threads of other forums could be useful in multiple locations.

For instance, I agree that the SAHM/single parent thread belonged in Single Parenting, and left it off the list at first, but planned to add it to the list after a post by a single parent on the thread.

In short, by organizing these threads in one place, it has helped a lot of people find information in this one place, rather than searching for it around the boards. Even tho most of the threads were in Parenting Issues (which is where the SAHM subforum makes sense to be, if there ever is one), there were also almost as many threads in TAO, where they could easily be lost.

Yes, many of these threads are "fine" in Parenting Issues, but wouldn't it be great if they were all grouped together in a place where we could more easily find them? (a service the other subforums greatly provide). Especially since the majority of the threads are either in PI or TAO.
#215 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Mama
I just used the search function and it worked quite well! There have been times in the past where it hasnt worked so well for me though.That sort of ruins my above arguement!
This may be bc very recently we have been more consistent with using either "sahp" or "sahm" in titles or content, making the threads easier to find (and I think this is largely being done by the posters with a mission to get the forum). This has not always been so (from my experience in compiling my list).
#216 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 04:57 PM

Also - I know this has come up before, but...

Doesn't MDC encompass many generalizations of NFL, like:
-most of us breastfeed
-most of us practice gentle discipline
-most of us are sahm
etc....

ergo.....

do you see what I'm driving at??

#217 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 05:01 PM

I hardly have time to post anymore, since the birth of my dc#3. But I do get a chance to lurk on a regular basis. I would love to have a place to discuss SAH issues (I know they have been listed over and over again on this thread, but just for the sake of expressing why I am interested in the idea...) such as:

-struggling with one income and choosing to do so

-schooling decisions (ex. why or why not I would choose to public schools/homeschooling if I'm home every day)

-the social and emotional implications/consequences/benefits/draw backs of making the choice to SAH

This board has gotten so big that I would love to be able to come here and make efficient use of my time. I find the more children I have and the longer I have been a SAMP, the more I need to connect with SAHPs and talk about a lot of the issues that have been addressed on this thread. I do not have the time to look in every forum to make these connections and nor do I have time to look through pages and pages of a thread in FYT where 5 different questions/topics are being addressed similtaneously.

Boy I really miss posting here, but I actually have a nursling who sleeps well at night this time around and now my dh works outside the home.

#218 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for taking all the time to answer our posts CM

Cynthia Mosher wrote>>>>>>>>>>
If the FYT thread is too chit chatty and people are posting their real issues and concerns to the existing boards then that conveys it pretty clearly that a separate board is not really necessary and that SAHMs just need a tribe thread to connect and chit chat and that their parenting and other personal discussions are served well in the existing forums.

I don't really understand the above sentence at all? how is that addressing SAHM issues if the FYT is too chit chatty and long? We have been posting SAHP issues in PI and with 14 threads on the first page alone you think that would warrant a forum?

I guess I just don't understand why you are so against it?

ok more later ds just woke up!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#219 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 05:54 PM

At the risk of sounding like a 12 year old, although rightly so, I think the whole thing has gotten ridiculous and is quite unfair. I will not go into all the reasons why there should be a SAHP forum because I know that all of the reasons will be met with all the reasons why our reasons are wrong. I have been reading this thread for days and wanted to post but thought "why bother" but I can't stand it anymore. As someone pointed out earlier, this is MotheringDotCommune...

Commune: Group of people living together who live according to a set of principles arrived at or endorsed by the group.

It is obvious the majority feels that a SAHP forum would be appropriate and the fact that all the other separate parenting forums exist is simply unfair and insulting. I think that the whole "watch what you say...someone might feel guilty" is not right at all. We are free to post, responsibly, in NOCIRC that we don't believe in circing, and in VAX that we don't believe in vaxing without worrying about the guilt a circing, full vaxing parent will feel. Goodness gracious, my signature says it all, but I'm not worried that I'll offend someone by letting everyone know my beliefs. I'm not responsible for someone elses feelings or what they feel is right for their family...although I am responsible to post my opinions gently and respectfully. I'm sorry to be so abrupt, but this whole thing has been really grating on me.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#220 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 06:37 PM

So what is the opposite of a commune? Communism?
#221 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
So what is the opposite of a commune? Communism?
Fascism.
#222 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneWe

In short, by organizing these threads in one place, it has helped a lot of people find information in this one place, rather than searching for it around the boards. Even tho most of the threads [i
were[/i] in Parenting Issues (which is where the SAHM subforum makes sense to be, if there ever is one), there were also almost as many threads in TAO, where they could easily be lost.

Yes, many of these threads are "fine" in Parenting Issues, but wouldn't it be great if they were all grouped together in a place where we could more easily find them? (a service the other subforums greatly provide). Especially since the majority of the threads are either in PI or TAO.
YES!

homeschooling mama to 8 yr old biggrinbounce.gif with a new little one(5-5-2011) babyf.gif...  h20homebirth.gif

#223 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I think that the whole "watch what you say...someone might feel guilty" is not right at all. We are free to post, responsibly, in NOCIRC that we don't believe in circing, and in VAX that we don't believe in vaxing without worrying about the guilt a circing, full vaxing parent will feel. Goodness gracious, my signature says it all, but I'm not worried that I'll offend someone by letting everyone know my beliefs. I'm not responsible for someone elses feelings or what they feel is right for their family...although I am responsible to post my opinions gently and respectfully. I'm sorry to be so abrupt, but this whole thing has been really grating on me.
(my bold)
I feel you've hit the nail on the head girl....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#224 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 07:12 PM

I think "commune" ought to be dropped out of the name all together. Its very cute but not really truthful.

Cynthia, I do appreciate the work that you do. I strongly disagree with your stance on this, but I do think that you do a good job overall.

AdrieneWe, I really appreciate your work too. I'm sure that it has taken a lot of time. It has helped me to find threads that I missed that have been very helpful to me, for example, the thread about the unavailability of disability insurance for SAHMs. I had spent some time trying to find disability insurance and could have avoided wasting that time if that thread had been available in a SAHM forum rather than buried in TAO.
#225 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
I think "commune" ought to be dropped out of the name all together. Its very cute but not really truthful.

Cynthia, I do appreciate the work that you do. I strongly disagree with your stance on this.
ITA.

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

#226 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Administrator

I think my input on all this has reached an end. Thank you all for sharing your feelings.

#227 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Administrator

PS - I've not much cared for the MotheringDotCommune name myself. It was not something that Mothering took on as its chosen title but rather a name that was attributed to the community by members. The popular use of the name compelled Peggy to make it the official name of our online discussion community.

But the intention was never that the operation of the boards be according to the narrow definition given by Cutie Patootie:

Quote:
Group of people living together who live according to a set of principles arrived at or endorsed by the group.
Commune is also a verb meaning 'to discuss' and as a noun 'sympathetic intercourse or conversation between friends'.

If you think she should relinquish the MotheringDotCommune name then that is something you should present to her personally with your reasoning.

#228 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 09:59 PM

I am sorry you feel there is no room for more discussion about this topic Cynthia. (though I can imagine how you feel reading those last posts! )

it just seems like no matter what we bring up it's dismissed anyway.

anyway I'm still hoping we can have a SAHM forum one day :

#229 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Administrator

I just don't see the discussion here changing and the last few posts are turning it more negative which I don't want to respond to. And really we're just disagreeing so what more is there to discuss? I offered my thoughts and views because I was asked to do so.

It's for Peggy to decide now. Please don't think that just because I am against a separate SAHM forum that she will agree with me by default. She looks at the member input and asks me for my thoughts and decides. Sometimes she agrees with my take on it sometimes not.

#230 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 10:13 PM

I totally understand how you feel about the subject

#231 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher
Well that makes it a pretty balanced feeling then because no matter what I say it's pretty much dismissed too.

I just don't see the discussion here changing and the last few posts are turning it more negative which I don't want to respond to. And really we're just disagreeing so what more is there to discuss? I offered my thoughts and views because I was asked to do so.

It's for Peggy to decide now. Please don't think that just because I am against a separate SAHM forum that she will agree with me by default. She looks at the member input and asks me for my thoughts and decides. Sometimes she agrees with my take on it sometimes not.
I did not mean to sound negative. I guess after reading the same post after post, it just got frustrating. It just felt like since you are opposed to the SAHP forum that that was the end of it. I know you will share our views with Peggy. I definetly understand your point of view, too. I guess I still can't understand why it's appropriate for all the other mamas to have their own separate forum, but SAHP do not, no matter what the argument or what side you are on. I also don't know why this is such a tender spot for me... ...must be those preggo mama hormones. :LOL Forgive me if I was being a goober. I will try to be a little less of an emotional madman. :LOL

#232 of 232 Old 11-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Administrator

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page