Only child forum???? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The current Moms of an Only Child Tribe is in Finding Your Tribe. It's quiet so not too much to wade through. Post about life with an only child and make it busier!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 08-24-2007, 02:20 PM

I would love to see a Parents of One Child (or whatever) forum here! I have seen them other places and love it but one in Mothering would be wonderful (others I have seen are more "mainstream).

I have also seen Large Families forums, too and think that is great.

I try to follow the thread in finding your tribe but it overwhelms me. (I get overwhelmed easily which is a big reason I have one child! )

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#33 of 39 Old 08-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Keep posting in the tribe. If you find several hundred members are posting there and that you have a huge variety of issues that only parents of only face, bring it back to our attention and we'll have another look.

We do want to keep the community and the purpose of Mothering open to all members and I feel that if we separate the community too much, we will lose some the appeal and community in our core forums.
#34 of 39 Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 PM

As an only child and mother of an only...I'm not sure we need an entire forum. (yet!!)

There a lot of interesting issues and discussion going on in the Tribe section. And, I know having an only child is a very different mindset than having one child for a period of time.
#35 of 39 Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I have a 17 year old only. Really don't see how a whole forum is needed for this.
I have an only, and I actually agree. It's true that there are specific challenges and issues that arise from raising an only, but there are also specific issues that arise for many unique family situations.

I think it's reasonable that people with onlies can bring up their concerns in the existing forums. People always have the option of saying they're "Looking for input from parents of onlies" in their posts.

As mentioned before, there have been MANY "onlies" threads in the FYT forum.
#36 of 39 Old 08-24-2007, 05:17 PM

I'm an only child and I have an only child, but I still think individual threads are enough. No need for a subforum.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#37 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM

Another yes vote here! :
#38 of 39 Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 AM

I love the idea of a forum to discuss topics that come up with only children. And to respond to the one who said all children are only children until the next one comes along, all I can say is, another one comes along! Therefore those parents have a new dynamic and not the same topics as parents of only children, as they remain only children forever. 

Mine is 4 and we have tried to have more but are unable and so we have an only child. Something I never would have done intentionally. But now wondering about the future of my son as he is more comfortable with adults than children. He is a bit shy with other kids and doesn't really engage with them unless it is a friend he knows through our friends. And we live in Switzerland so he also has the second and third languages to add to the mix as he doesn't yet speak much Swiss German or High German. 

I am looking for a book about raising an only child. Any suggestions? 

Also looking for a book about explaining death (of a pet) to a young kid, any suggestions?

Thanks!

#39 of 39 Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

We don't have a forum dedicated to only children, but you are welcome to start a group for that - check the Social Groups thread here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1327212/social-groups-are-here/0_100

You might try the general parenting forum for book recommendations. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page