Dear Moderators, ... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
(BTW, this is all my opinion and not management opinion, I'm just speaking for myself)

To clarify, I was actually paid three and one-quarter cents per word for my comment...
#62 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini girl
but i think whoever it is running mdc and making all these "rules" has a bush complex. cuz i am so reminded of our president and how he "runs" this country when i come here and see the fun threads closed. i think it's highly controlling and the person in charge of this forum shouldn't be so un-mdc.
Do you mean Peggy O'Mara should not be so un-mdc?? The rules come from her. The mods and admin just enforce them.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#63 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerLover
Respectfully, this is truly what you you saw? Random posts meant to undermine the order? I'm not trying to be snarky, truly. I'm just trying to get a picture here.
I have seen quite a few posts starting with "I know this will get moved, but..." It's just disrespectful. Like, the heck with the reasons for stuff, I want MY needs met NOW! And lately, even though I try very hard to stay out of TAO (because it does not meet MY personal needs) I have dropped in to find members making bitter comments about undermining the system.
#64 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it time for this drama again? It doesn't seem like six months.

Sorry, but this is the same discussion over and over again. MDC is what it is. I wouldn't buy a Honda and then be mad it's not a Ferrari.

I don't mean to sound dismissive because I'm not. I just... I realise I am a guest here. I try to behave like one and follow the rules of my host.
#65 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
Is it time for this drama again? It doesn't seem like six months.

Sorry, but this is the same discussion over and over again. MDC is what it is. I wouldn't buy a Honda and then be mad it's not a Ferrari.

I don't mean to sound dismissive because I'm not. I just... I realise I am a guest here. I try to behave like one and follow the rules of my host.

Crap! Did I just pee?

Uh huh, ya, I peed :LOL
#66 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kegels!
#67 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:05 AM

Ok, now I am totally offended because I wasn't in on the joke. What in ternation is a voe?

Ok, that is threadjacking, sorry...

Off to Voegal, er, i mean kegel...
#68 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBeary77
Today's drama was just stupid, imo. My issue was not understanding why threads get locked or flat out deleted just because they use the term 'voed' and we all LAUGH and make light of the situation. (We use 'voe' as an alternative to 'move' now, thanks to tricia80 so *kindly* pointing out my typo. ) And another poster gets her siggy privileges revoked because she has "ROCK THE VOE" in it? Come on. That sounds like ppl getting their shorts in a wad. It's just plain ridiculous.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#69 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:08 AM

Quote:
However, it's not a dictatorship or a commune, as I see it, it's a business!
The motheringdotcommune is really starting to irk me. : Misrepresentation in advertising.

Crayon, I hear you. I was just discussing this today with a mod.
Having more real input from members, such as an advisory board, would make this place SO much more of a community. When people have a role in actual decision making it changes the whole feel. Yes, I KNOW it is a private board, but that does not have to preclude more involvement in decision making.

Yes, I know that maybe we do not know the background and reasoning behind some of the rules. Then TELL us!!

I feel like a child. There has obviously been a coordinated effort today to crack down on violations of the user agreement. The only thing it does is make this feel like a police state.

I encourage everyone to write Peggy and make your voice heard. The revolution will not be televised.
#70 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:08 AM
nym

Quote:
I do think the owners and administrators care about mothers and want to support those buying the mag and reading the site. I really do.
I think it is more that they care about who buys the mag, who advertises, who pays! It is a business and unfortunately while MDC is a supplement to the magazine, it is not a moneymaker. Therefore, it is not as or even close to being important in the scheme of things...
#71 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I believe part of this site's mission is to be 'family friendly' -- in other words, safe for any member of your family to peruse, be it your teenage son or daughter, your eight year old, your nursing toddler in your lap, etc. That may explain why some types of language and some areas of conversation are not hosted.
But that is my job as the parent to decide.
#72 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
I think it is more that they care about who buys the mag, who advertises, who pays! It is a business and unfortunately while MDC is a supplement to the magazine, it is not a moneymaker. Therefore, it is not as or even close to being important in the scheme of things...
Then I make the same suggestion as I did three years ago when talk was floating around about closing MDC, subscription. I don't think it has to be an extraordinary amount either. I think 5-10 dollars a year would really make some money here. Perhaps then members would have a bit more say, or maybe not.
#73 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
But that is my job as the parent to decide.
It's your job as a parent to decide the mission of this site?
#74 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
It's your job as a parent to decide the mission of this site?
No, I believe she is referring to it being her job as a parent to decide what language is appropriate for her children.

While I agree, I do see the sticky spot hosting sexual language would put MDC in.
#75 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Today's drama was just stupid, imo. My issue was not understanding why threads get locked or flat out deleted just because they use the term 'voed' and we all LAUGH and make light of the situation. (We use 'voe' as an alternative to 'move' now, thanks to tricia80 so *kindly* pointing out my typo. ) And another poster gets her siggy privileges revoked because she has "ROCK THE VOE" in it? Come on. That sounds like ppl getting their shorts in a wad. It's just plain ridiculous.
Humor that mocks my mod sister for doing her job, *serving* the community as a volunteer... yeah, that might get my panties in a wad.

Wasn't the "voe" joke part of a thread where people were expressing anger about mod decisions to move threads? Isn't publicly mocking mods kind of an ungentle, non-supportive, ah... community-damaging behavior, which might even be explicitly against the user agreement? I might be wrong about the origin of the term. Excuse me if I am mistaken.
#76 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
No, I believe she is referring to it being her job as a parent to decide what language is appropriate for her children.

While I agree, I do see the sticky spot hosting sexual language would put MDC in.
I agree that Arduinna should be the gatekeeper of her children's media consumption. But just as she may decide as a parent what is permitted in her home, MDC's owner and administration can set guidelines and standards that are in line with their ideals, values and mission.

did that make sense? I'm NAK now and losing steam. Frankly, this is exhausting!
#77 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Humor that mocks my mod sister for doing her job, *serving* the community as a volunteer... yeah, that might get my panties in a wad.

Wasn't the "voe" joke part of a thread where people were expressing anger about mod decisions to move threads? Isn't publicly mocking mods kind of an ungentle, non-supportive, ah... community-damaging behavior, which might even be explicitly against the user agreement? I might be wrong about the origin of the term. Excuse me if I am mistaken.

I don't think it was meant to be mocking...it's was just a word that got misspelled and then got picked up and well, everyone just got a little silly. No harm intended. I'll pm you.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#78 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I agree that Arduinna should be the gatekeeper of her children's media consumption. But just as she may decide as a parent what is permitted in her home, MDC's owner and administration can set guidelines and standards that are in line with their ideals, values and mission.

did that make sense? I'm NAK now and losing steam. Frankly, this is exhausting!

Easy sister, I'm on your side Er, did someone say Benedict? :LOL

Not trying to make light of anyone's feelings, it's late and I am bummed y'all are upset by this.
#79 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Easy sister, I'm on your side Er, did someone say Benedict? :LOL

Not trying to make light of anyone's feelings, it's late and I am bummed y'all are upset by this.

I gotcha, honey, I knew we were on the same page. I'm just losing my communication finesse at this late hour.
#80 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
You know what? It IS late. We all deserve sleep. Pamela, I hope nothing Isaid was perosnally offensive; it wasn't intended as such.

Tomorrow I'll try to look at this through moderator's eyes. (I've been mod/owner/op at MANY boards.)

#81 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:49 AM

#82 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 01:56 AM

Many of you may not know me, as I don’t venture out of my forums much these days. Currently, I moderate the grief forums, so there is little room for joking around or letting my hair down.

I’ve been a moderator here at MDC for over 4 years. Starting on the infamous ‘old boards’ some of you may remember or have heard about. My moderating days started in GD and Parents as Partners when it first started. I started moderating with Cynthia Marshal and then several months later Cynthia Mosher. In the 4 years I’ve been a volunteer with MDC I’ve moderated many other forums as well. I started here looking for support extended BF my 3 year old – she’s now 7! My kids have grown up here at MDC and I feel they’ve benefited from some of the great knowledge I’ve gained from all you wise and loving mamma’s. I’ve met many of you IRL and feel honored to have that opportunity.

When I found this site it was like a breath of fresh air! Other mamma’s who BF a child older than 6 months! Other mamma’s who don’t think a quick smack will set a child right! Other mamma’s whom I could let my hair down and laugh with!

Oh, I’ve had some goofy fun here at MDC – anyone recall New Years Eve 2004? Abimommy, tnrsmom and I got pretty rowdy! Mamma Cynthia even DDDDC’ed a few of us the next day (yes, I’m talking about you Ms. Mead).

I went from thinking “How DISCUSTING, people actually EAT their placenta?” to thinking “you know, it may not be a bad idea”.

I’ve seen many controversies as well. What I do know is that MDC is a privately owned board. It’s my privilege to serve as a moderator and to take part as a member.

I do think the UA has a purpose. It gives us a base to keep things running smoothly and allows us to handle things in a fair and consistent way.

No, we’re not perfect! We’re people, mammas just like you. We may read something out of context or misunderstand. I think that’s to be expected. What we do appreciate is a pm from members asking for help or explaining their views. We answer ALL pm’s, as does Cynthia. We ARE approachable and open to your comments and suggestions.

Gentleness and peace to all.
#83 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 AM

Well, having been a mod on another site for 2 years, I completely understand the position the mods get stuck in. Sometimes it all gets tricky. So, mods, I applaud you all for doing your jobs.

As for MDC, there are many "rules" here I don't necessarily agree with, yet I don't *have* to post here. If I don't like it, I can leave and find a new community. It seems to me that MDC isn't asking all that much when they ask us to play by the rules. If you don't want to, then just take your ball and go home.
#84 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniewb
Well, having been a mod on another site for 2 years, I completely understand the position the mods get stuck in. Sometimes it all gets tricky. So, mods, I applaud you all for doing your jobs.

As for MDC, there are many "rules" here I don't necessarily agree with, yet I don't *have* to post here. If I don't like it, I can leave and find a new community. It seems to me that MDC isn't asking all that much when they ask us to play by the rules. If you don't want to, then just take your ball and go home.
Yes, yes, yes!
#85 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:13 AM

I've actually been wondering something... Are we told when the User Agreement is updated? If we are I've never noticed it.

As for some of the things that are being brought up with the UA I just have to remind myself that even though I've taken to the view that cursing is in the eye of the beholder and I'm no longer "Afraid" of using certain words that not everyone agrees. So, even though I feel I can use them in everyday language some ppl are bothered. I don't think it necessarily fair at all but I think we all know "life isn't fair", kwim?

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#86 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:21 AM

MEGAN!
Gosh, haven't seen you in years, for real!
I'm actually writing a report on the similarities between The LDS church and Jehovah Witnesses- cool stuff.

Oh, and I remember when your little Mr. T was just a twinklin in his mama and papa's eye. Gee how time flies!
#87 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:22 AM

[QUOTE=kama'aina mama]Sorry, but this is the same discussion over and over again. MDC is what it is. I wouldn't buy a Honda and then be mad it's not a Ferrari.
QUOTE]

HA! :LOL

#88 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
MEGAN!
Gosh, haven't seen you in years, for real!
I'm actually writing a report on the similarities between The LDS church and Jehovah Witnesses- cool stuff.

Oh, and I remember when your little Mr. T was just a twinklin in his mama and papa's eye. Gee how time flies!
WOW! It has been awhile! Where ya been??

#89 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 AM

Actually, the site isn't totally free is it? I know there are some potions you must pay for ie sr titles, ddddc, avatars and I think advertising your business in your sig.

And wasn't there talk a long time ago about maybe making it a paid thing? I could be totally off on that...it could have just been rumor.

#90 of 348 Old 03-15-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Mom
I do think the UA has a purpose. It gives us a base to keep things running smoothly and allows us to handle things in a fair and consistent way.

No, we’re not perfect! We’re people, mammas just like you. We may read something out of context or misunderstand. I think that’s to be expected. What we do appreciate is a pm from members asking for help or explaining their views. We answer ALL pm’s, as does Cynthia. We ARE approachable and open to your comments and suggestions.

Gentleness and peace to all.
The UA has a purpose, but if the purpose is so clear and the intent so pure why the problem with questions?
As to the second paragraph, the bold is mine and I simply see a lot of members asking for the same respect.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page