Forum Jump: 

#61 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey0402
Wolfmam (and I think Pynki)...

I think you'll find that a lot of mommas on Diapering agree with your feelings about the competetive nature of some diaper buying. There is at least one thread a month that inevitably turns bad and gets pulled. For those of us who've seen the hyena-cycle for a while, its just the way it has been for a while and will continue to be. I do worry that those new to cloth diapering will be turned off by the high prices some pay. I don't really know if there is a good solution for that. I take comfort in the multiple threads that I see daily that don't have anything to do with buying high priced diapers.
thank you. that is it. i have seen those threads and stayed out of them. they invariably get nasty.

i guess i need to make a point to post pics of my guy in his yellow puppy bumkins aio more often.
#62 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't understand what makes you angry.
That people are sharing opinions?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#63 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:24 PM
nym

Wow! About 5 different people have called my OP sarcastic and making fun of. You know what. Im poor. Poor poor poor. Poor to the extent that I cant even afford a prefold. So why is it that someone can post a "lookit what I got yay!" thread about their 50 dollar diaper and I cant post one about my prefold and snappi? Becuase you know what, that prefold and snappi are worth 50 dollars to me in the scheme of it all..

Expensive diapers don't only get the excitement, and I think its very rude and mean of you all to say that I was poking fun when I FOR ONCE wanted to post excitement about something that I could finally afford.
#64 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee
I've felt ignored in that forum, my posts slip down to the bottom so quickly, and I've had to post again to try to get some help, which I did eventually get.
I am sorry you feel that way. There are numerous "stickies" that deal with the very issues your threads pertained to. From what I see you have started only 2 threads in Diapering and both were responded to adequately. The Diapering Board moves very quickly some days and sometimes a thread does not get the attention it needs, but it is very rare. If you have questions within a thread started by somebody else it is very easy for them to get missed. I know I usually skim through the first few replies before posting my own without reading every single one. Sorry
#65 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:26 PM

I think if it was split the subforums would be popular for about 2 wks and then fizzle (kinda like the diaper fairy forum....no one even knows it is/was there).
Truthfully I see lots of prefold, flats, Babies R Us rubber pants, line drying, laundromat, etc posts. I hope those mamas don't feel left out or ridiculed . Of course there are lots of fluff and hyena posts, too. I could see where it would be intimidating to newbies but it is also fairly informative.
I know I've gotten help with Snappis, Bummis, etc. on the diapering forum and I've seen lots of glorious and expensive wool soakers and hyena dipes.
I hope we can all play nice!

Laura
Mom to three
#66 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:27 PM

I don't know why I'm jumping into this, as I will probably get flamed from all sides, but I will say two things:

1) For me, personally, spending time in the diapering forum stirs up my consumeristic side. It is counterproductive to living simply, for me. I wish I could look at all the great links and pics and not feel the desire to buy, buy, buy, but I'm not at that point yet. I do think the consumerism is somewhat at odds with the NFL side of MDC.

2) While stalking and stockings are full of excitement and I have experienced that myself on a few occasions, I always cringe when I see someone post that they missed a stocking because they had to go take care of their kid and it is accompanied by a . I think this is at odds with the AP side of MDC.

I have no strong opinions on making a change to Diapering. I'm just sharing my experience of it. These days I find that to stay true to my personal goals and values, I need to spend very little time there, so that's what I'm trying to do.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#67 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Well, look at that- this thread is going someplace after all!
ok, sorry.....

I just think we should all assume that we can come to the diapering forum and be able to discuss diapers, no matter what kind. I think segregation is unnesecary and would do more harm than good. I everyone from all different walks of the diapering world would do their share and post, people will naturally become more educated about all different forms of diapering and newbies wouldn't feel excluded or lost. I think there should be discussion on all different forms of diapering.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#68 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM

Another thing about splitting the forum to "basic diapering" and "hyena diapering" is where does that leave everything else? The majority of WAHMs and wholesalers are not selling hyena stuff but its not the absolute most basic either. The majority of my stash falls right in the middle - its mostly available, middle of the road stuff. So where do I post?
#69 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
Wow! About 5 different people have called my OP sarcastic and making fun of. You know what. Im poor. Poor poor poor. Poor to the extent that I cant even afford a prefold. So why is it that someone can post a "lookit what I got yay!" thread about their 50 dollar diaper and I cant post one about my prefold and snappi? Becuase you know what, that prefold and snappi are worth 50 dollars to me in the scheme of it all..

Expensive diapers don't only get the excitement, and I think its very rude and mean of you all to say that I was poking fun when I FOR ONCE wanted to post excitement about something that I could finally afford.
I'm sorry, I didn''t say what I was trying to very well. I just meant that it wasn't clear what your intentions were. It could have been seen as sarcastic. If I recall correctly the first few replies were sarcastic in nature. Maybe "sarcastic" isn't the best word to use, I'm at a loss. Now that I stand back and look at it differently I see I was wrong in my initial reaction to your thread. I really did feel like the usual diapering mommas (those who primarily post there) were being poked fun at and I was just laughing along. I am sorry.
#70 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom

1) For me, personally, spending time in the diapering forum stirs up my consumeristic side. It is counterproductive to living simply, for me. I wish I could look at all the great links and pics and not feel the desire to buy, buy, buy, but I'm not at that point yet. I do think the consumerism is somewhat at odds with the NFL side of MDC.
I think that can be the case in any forum. I went buck crazy and spent 225.00 at the natural food store on soap, EO's, ttothpaste, etc. All because of all of the stuff I learned in Natural home and body care. I went crazy!
Quote:
2) While stalking and stockings are full of excitement and I have experienced that myself on a few occasions, I always cringe when I see someone post that they missed a stocking because they had to go take care of their kid and it is accompanied by a . I think this is at odds with the AP side of MDC.
I believe they are sad they missed the stocking....not that they had to care for their kids! I think sometimes we read into things a little when on the computer and don't really get the meaning of eachothers posts.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#71 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:37 PM

nym

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#72 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:38 PM

I don't think it should be seperated.We ALL are doing our part in sort of way or another in helping the planet by not using disposables.It shouldn't matter if we are using Fuzzi Bunz or prefolds or big top dollar hyena stuff.However I can and have been in the shoes where I felt uncomfortable here and maybe that can be lessened by putting a stickie for newbies on what to expect here.Had I read somewhere that some things can heated here over high priced diapers or that theres certain diapers that are almost like gold I wouldn't have felt the same way as I did.140 posts later though I have seen good and bad and things that I never expected to see get heated over turn ugly.I never in my dreams imagined when I first started inquiring about CDs that it would become somewhat of an obsessive hobby.I never even knew that diapers could be more than a few bucks till I came here! I think if there was something that newbies could read FIRST before coming into this forum then they would feel more comfortable.Someone had make a comment to me about using the search bar but to be honest with you I didn't even know how to work this forum/site because its not like the ones I go to.Some people are like my friend that isn't computer literate and they don't know how to use all the features on sites.I think everyone showed a little more patience people would feel better about being here.Some of my questions I ask I get the attitude like oh geez we already hashed through this a million times or don't you know it says so right in the other post.Not everyone has been here as long as you regs have.
#73 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I feel like this has been the elephant in the room, and is the main conflict, sometimes treated civilly, sometimes treated more in the form of personal attacks.

As for the ap part, one day I was looking at dipes at home, and a stinky one walked right past me, and I told my dd I would change her 'in a minute' because I was busy. That was the day that I realized I needed to cool things off.
#74 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl
I don't get it?

People think that the hyenas on the diapering board (and yup, I am one of them) should keep to themselves on another part of the diapering board because our diaper stash (and what we spent on them.. and yes I have spent more than some) makes other people feel uncomfortable?

Should I only post pictures of my prefolds then? Or my homemade knit by me soakers? And pretend I don't have other hard to get expensive stuff? Should I never show a picture of myself in anything namebrand? No pictures of myself on vacation?

If the board gets split and I post on the hyena board, would I not be welcome to talk about prefolds? Cuz yes I have a $100 diaper but I have cheap prefolds too (gasp.. and we use them!).

I am sorry, I know we are communicating but this makes me so angry.
NO.. I don't think you shouldn't be able to post links to diaper you love.. ANd your child in them..

My big issue is that my friends and I were RIDICULED.. RIDICULED AND BELITTLED for being low end diapering moms..

And nice.. "cheap" prefolds.. Cause saying I have prefolds too.. Just wasn't quite descriptive enough..

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#75 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
ok, sorry.....

I just think we should all assume that we can come to the diapering forum and be able to discuss diapers, no matter what kind. I think segregation is unnesecary and would do more harm than good. I everyone from all different walks of the diapering world would do their share and post, people will naturally become more educated about all different forms of diapering and newbies wouldn't feel excluded or lost. I think there should be discussion on all different forms of diapering.

I think that by splitting the forum the "hyena" forum could/would become very clique(sp?). Not to mention I think if the "hyena" forum got more traffic other posts could be ignored and then that would be worse for new mamas than the current situation.
#76 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 PM

I think everyone showed a little more patience people would feel better about being here.

That needs to happen EVERYWHERE on MDC. We are all mamas trying to do better. No one is there yet.....we are all just trying to do the best we can.

#77 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
NO.. I don't think you shouldn't be able to post links to diaper you love.. ANd your child in them..

My big issue is that my friends and I were RIDICULED.. RIDICULED AND BELITTLED for being low end diapering moms..

And nice.. "cheap" prefolds.. Cause saying I have prefolds too.. Just wasn't quite descriptive enough..
Diapering mamas have been ridiculed elsewhere on MDC (and other places) because of the amount they may spend on a diaper. Some get ridiculed in the diapering forum themselves. Even hyena WAHMs who occasionally post Ebay auctions get ridiculed.

We were just ridiculing Hummer owners in TAO the other day.

I consider myself a low end diaper mom because I don't use sposies. Whether I spent $200 on everything or $10,000.

And yes, I have some cheap prefolds (Gerbers) and pricey prefolds and then just your regular ones. And I have flannel flats (aka baby blankets) I was given for free and you don't get much cheaper than that. Sorry if you don't like my choice of words.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#78 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM

I just wanted to add that in the 18 mo i have been posting in diapering i have received tons of advice and help on cd basics - stripping, washing, leaks, etc. we are middle of the road diaper users and while I don't get the hyena dipes (well, i'm just too cheap to get addicted to them!) - it is certainly neat to live vicariously. I've nver been ridiculed there and am sorry if others have had that experience

FWIW, i was unsure about the tone of the prefold thread yesterday too - i honestly thought it was a gentle tongue in cheek response to some of the high priced diaper selling that is seen.

I also wanted to add that for those into more simple diapering that I think the addition of darshani/usamma as a mod has been a good thing and added balance to the cd board. (not that i think the other mods are "hyena" but simply that darshani has posted many times that she has used simple readily available diaper systems and has had good suggestions along those lines for newbies)
#79 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
1) I do think the consumerism is somewhat at odds with the NFL side of MDC.

2) they had to go take care of their kid and it is accompanied by a . I think this is at odds with the AP side of MDC.
I heavily edited this quote but I really want to address my mixed feelings about this.

I live in farm country. My great grandparents were farmers, my grandparents were farmers, and my dad was a farmer up until I was about 25 (at least part time). I don't know how much of you know about farming. But one way that small farmers are staying in business is by finding niche markets. Growing organics, or specialty items for high priced business. Are the farmers to be criticized for "selling out" or commended for saving their family farm from corporate buyout?

And this is the way I see the WAHM hyena dipes. I APPLAUD the people spending money they have on a WAHM diper, because that might be the difference between the WAHM choosing to stay home, or being forced to work. Or maybe she just wants to support her "habit" of buying fabric. It doesn't really matter. It's ALL better than sending our money to procter and gamble to yet again "improve" the disposable diapers so they can raise the price or lower the number in the pack.

So yes, its consumerism, but its also a better type of consumerism, IMO, than buying yet another plastic geegaw no one needs and will end up in a landfill in 6 months.
#80 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:

And nice.. "cheap" prefolds.. Cause saying I have prefolds too.. Just wasn't quite descriptive enough.
I understand that... but obviously others felt you were ridiculing them. It seems that you were not and it was a misunderstanding.... it sucks, and im sorry feelings were hurt. Like I said earlier, i didnt say anything because I wasnt possitive of the purpose of the thread and didnt want to stick my foot in my mouth. obviously not everyone did the same thing, im sorry you felt that way

as for cheap... maybe she was replying to the fact that her prefolds are cheap. has nothing to do with yours. I woudl say the prefolds I have are cheap because I paid under $1 for them and thats a pretty darn good deal. That doesnt lessen their quality or worth... its just a term to define cost. I realize "cheap" also has a negative connotation to it, but its quite possible that wasnt what she meant.
#81 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethane
I heavily edited this quote but I really want to address my mixed feelings about this.

I live in farm country. My great grandparents were farmers, my grandparents were farmers, and my dad was a farmer up until I was about 25 (at least part time). I don't know how much of you know about farming. But one way that small farmers are staying in business is by finding niche markets. Growing organics, or specialty items for high priced business. Are the farmers to be criticized for "selling out" or commended for saving their family farm from corporate buyout?

And this is the way I see the WAHM hyena dipes. I APPLAUD the people spending money they have on a WAHM diper, because that might be the difference between the WAHM choosing to stay home, or being forced to work. Or maybe she just wants to support her "habit" of buying fabric. It doesn't really matter. It's ALL better than sending our money to procter and gamble to yet again "improve" the disposable diapers so they can raise the price or lower the number in the pack.

So yes, its consumerism, but its also a better type of consumerism, IMO, than buying yet another plastic geegaw no one needs and will end up in a landfill in 6 months.

Yep
Nothing wrong with spending a little money on art
And, IMO, you can serve "lord Buck" in many ways. People who spend all their time thinking about money as it pertains to being frugal are still spending all their time thinking about money. I buy things, but I am not controlled by my spending. I have lived with and without....

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#82 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
I think that can be the case in any forum. I went buck crazy and spent 225.00 at the natural food store on soap, EO's, ttothpaste, etc. All because of all of the stuff I learned in Natural home and body care. I went crazy!
I would classify that stuff as a need. You're choosing to buy a higher priced version of the item, but soap and toothpaste are needs and are things that run out frequently and have to be replaced. Diapers last, and prefolds fit for a really long time. Once a person has enough dipes that fit the child and it's possible to go the preferred number of days in between washing, then they really have all they need. Anything on top of that is a want... at least that's how I look at it for my situation. My DD doesn't need any more diapers... any desires I have to buy more are about my wants.

The diapering forum is a great place to learn and research when I have a need, but when all my needs are met, it is a dangerous place for stirring up my wants. On the one hand, it would be nice for MDC to not contain "temptations" - it's kind of like an AA meeting being held across the street from a bar. On the other hand, I figure I can't expect other people to change their behavior to accommodate my issues. This is why I'm not sure where I stand on making changes to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
I believe they are sad they missed the stocking....not that they had to care for their kids! I think sometimes we read into things a little when on the computer and don't really get the meaning of eachothers posts.
Yeah, I think you are probably right. I've certainly never seen anyone go on and on about how inconsiderate their baby was for waking up right at that moment, or anything like that! But seeing it all in one sentence is just a little... jarring.

#83 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:14 PM

Call me rude, but I admit, I do skip over the "how do I use" posts. Sure there are times when I read them, but I like the "hyena" side of diapering. No to exclude anyone, but I'd love the posts separate, I love the idea of a subforum
#84 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethane

I agree with everything you said, and I think it's wonderful to support WAHMs and small farmers over P&G or the like. Just not at the expense of your kid's college fund, or paying down debt, or saving, or whatever. And I certainly have no way of knowing who does or doesn't do this. But if I exceeded my diaper budget, I would be harming other important financial goals for my family. Maybe other people can fit the spending in, and if so, that's awesome and I do think it's great that they are supporting WAHMs.

I just see posts about hiding things and information from DHs, selling one brand new, never worn thing to buy something else, and people getting really angry when someone else gets something they had to have because it was the same color as the coat of an animal their DS saw at the zoo on his 1st birthday and he just loved that trip to the zoo... and it just gives me an uneasy feeling sometimes.

#85 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:20 PM

i have never gotten the diapering forum. and over the years, i've really and truly tried to understand it.

but i always end up thinking, 'wait, these women must be excited over something over than some $50 piece of fabric their kid defecates and urinates in'.

i've always wondered if all those acronyms i don't get are actually code talk for drugs. then maybe i could understand the bidding frenzies and bitter rivalries. heck, maybe i'd even participate.

i mean, they are DIAPERS. how could a thread about diapers ever "get nasty"??? and goddess knows i am the queen of turning a thread nasty.

i just don't get it.
#86 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
i've always wondered if all those acronyms i don't get are actually code talk for drugs. then maybe i could understand the bidding frenzies and bitter rivalries. heck, maybe i'd even participate
:LOL

Threads that typically turn nasty are ones where people are attacking others for their choices.....same as the rest of MDC (ie... omg i cant believe that anyone can pay more than $15 for a fitted, etc etc). No one likes to be attacked ... and while its easy to say let it roll off your back, some mamas get hurt by it. The diapering forum isnt really that much different than other forums on MDC
#87 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama ganoush
i have never gotten the diapering forum. and over the years, i've really and truly tried to understand it.

but i always end up thinking, 'wait, these women must be excited over something over than some $50 piece of fabric their kid defecates and urinates in'.

i've always wondered if all those acronyms i don't get are actually code talk for drugs. then maybe i could understand the bidding frenzies and bitter rivalries. heck, maybe i'd even participate.

i mean, they are DIAPERS. how could a thread about diapers ever "get nasty"??? and goddess knows i am the queen of turning a thread nasty.

i just don't get it.
:

#88 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I just see posts about hiding things and information from DHs, selling one brand new, never worn thing to buy something else, and people getting really angry when someone else gets something they had to have because it was the same color as the coat of an animal their DS saw at the zoo on his 1st birthday and he just loved that trip to the zoo... and it just gives me an uneasy feeling sometimes.
True, i mostly don't read those. It is "collecting" too. Some people like to collect. My mother collects pigs. She has THOUSANDS of pigs. I always buy her embarassing ones she can't put on display like.. mating pigs. But at least if someone is "collecting" diapers, they can at least use them. And when they resell them, someone else is using them.

I have a fabric addiction though, so I'm probably more understanding about it than I would be if I'd managed to totally eliminate consumerism from my own life.

I hardly ever post in diapering, because I don't really "know" anyone, and I don't have hyena fluff, but I do like to read there. I've never felt unwelcome. But I did see that thread yesterday and I totally didn't understand why the OP and others after were called trolls. I've never had a snappi, and I'm thinking of getting one, and I'd be pretty excited too.

I think, though, that the diapering forum has had a few more of those snarky threads in the past 2 months, than what I saw 6 or 9 months ago. Maybe its just time of day or something.

This is OT, but a real life friend and I actually got in a disagreement yesterday over wool shorts! Her youngest and only child is.. well 22, so it isn't like she has any personal interest, and she just couldn't understand why someone would put their child in knitted wool shorts in the summer, and when I tried to explain it we ended up getting in a fight. How silly!!
#89 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
There are threads all the time about prefolds and simplicity and everyone gets along just fine. The thread you are talking about was perceived as a sarcastic jab at diapering mamas.....
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I just want to say I totally agree with this! Simple diapering/prefolds are always completely welcomed in the Diapering forum. I read the thread in question and it did seem to me to be a sarcastic jab at the Diapering mamas. It started out with someone saying something like "You won't believe the incredible diaper I scored!! Come look!!" Then they posted a picture of a simple prefold and snappi. Then someone posted "Ooh! Those are rare!" and someone else posted something like "Darn it, I wanted to buy that myself! You beat me to it!" It seemed like they were making fun of the Diapering mamas for our enthusiasm for unique diapers, and our discussions stemming from more than one person wanting to buy the same unique diaper. And I might be wrong about this, but it seemed like these first few posters were not people who normally post in Diapering. Then, one of us dared to ask "I don't get it? What's rare about it?" and someone snapped back "It doesn't have to be rare to be special!" Maybe I'm paranoid, but it almost seems like a set-up. Like a few people in TAO pm'd each other and said "let's go into Diapering and rave about a picture of a prefold & snappi the way they rave about hyena diapers, and when they're less than enthusiastic, we'll suggest that the hyena mamas should be segregated." Anyone who spends any time in the Diapering forum knows that simple diapering and prefolds are always completely welcomed.

Off to read the rest of this thread...

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#90 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 03:41 PM

I love this idea a hyena forum would be great.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page