The Diapering Forum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems to me that diapering has become a "hyena's Only" playground.. A thread was started in diapering about simple diapering.. A prefold and a snappi.. And the members who posted on it were referred to as TAO trolls..

Is diapering now only about revelling in the money you can spend or how much your diaper was? Or is it still possible to share your joy in the simplicity of a snappi and a prefold..

Perhaps we need a subforum in diapering for simpl diapering.. The simplicity of prefold, fitted and a cover. .That you love regardless of the fact it cost you less than $50..

Warm Squishy Feelings..
Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#2 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 12:44 PM

I was under the assumption people could talk about whatever they wanted....
Where are all the people who want to talk about prefolds, and why don't they?(I have heard some in the past)

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#3 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 12:50 PM

thanks for bringing this up pynki. i am a simple diapering mama, and have found that diapering lately has been a hot bed of issues and controversies.

the forum seems geared towards hyenas and "show off" threads. i fear it could be intimidating for new members and members that prefer to diaper in a simple fashion.

maybe there could be a hyena subforum under diapering?

i think that would be appropriate so that the NFL message of mothering does not get watered down.
#4 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 12:55 PM

Pynki,

I think a simple diapering forum is a great idea. The diapering forum, imo, has become a hotbed of consumerism. I feel very uncomfortable there. Thanks for bringing this up.
#5 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
thanks for bringing this up pynki. i am a simple diapering mama, and have found that diapering lately has been a hot bed of issues and controversies.

the forum seems geared towards hyenas and "show off" threads. i fear it could be intimidating for new members and members that prefer to diaper in a simple fashion.

maybe there could be a hyena subforum under diapering?

i think that would be appropriate so that the NFL message of mothering does not get watered down.
:
#6 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 12:59 PM

I really don't see the need for segregation.The people who want to talk about their diapers do.

#7 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

A number of us were on the recieving end last night of being "anti-hyenas".. We were called trolls.. Most of us Sr. Members.. Talking about prefolds and trimming prefolds.. Snappi's and pins..

It was a simple diapering post.. And we were ridiculed.. It didn't feel pleasant... And now our thread is removed..

#8 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, when someone goes into the forum and is told "what is so special about a snappi and a prefold" and called "a TAO troll" and the thread is moved to TAO despite the fact that there is a good discussion going about snappis and making trimmed prefolds, and then is pulled because it "has no value" one has to wonder if maybe there is a little snobbery going on.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:05 PM

There are threads all the time about prefolds and simplicity and everyone gets along just fine. The thread you are talking about was perceived as a sarcastic jab at diapering mamas.... whether it was or not who knows. But It isnt not fair to say that diapering mamas get riled up if you post about prefolds because it isnt true.
I've seen many many suggestions from even the biggest stash holders to use prefolds at certain occassions.
#10 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
A number of us were on the recieving end last night of being "anti-hyenas".. We were called trolls.. Most of us Sr. Members.. Talking about prefolds and trimming prefolds.. Snappi's and pins..

It was a simple diapering post.. And we were ridiculed.. It didn't feel pleasant... And now our thread is removed..
I saw that.I am sorry you felt ridiculed.

I don't post a whole lot, often because I am being tandem mama at keyboard...... but I don't really have a problem with hyena threads, or frugal threads. I think there is a place for every mama in the diapering forum and I actually see more acceptance in that forum so far than others. I think for the most part the diapering forum is very accepting and I think people just felt threatened and made fun of.

#11 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:08 PM

I guess we;re having different experiences then. I used to post on diapering all the time, but then people stopped even looking at the threads if they didn't have to do with high priced fluff.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:09 PM

I have many, many prefolds and snappis and am actually quite happy

#13 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Is it at all possible that not being able to afford the fluff that usually gets praised.. One MIGHT want to share their excitement about a prefold and a snappi.. Most of the people I know who CD use prefolds and snappi's.. And they get pretty excited getting their new snappies..

#14 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:11 PM

I think it is a good idea, sort along the lines of diapering on a budget/living simple/no frills.

Nice suggestion that I hope gets considered seriously.
#15 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:12 PM

An excellent point pynki...many mamas have a hard time trying to come up with ANY stash...getting a new prefold is EXCITING for some people. And I do think the OP was sincere in her excitement, but it was immediately perceived as being trollish.
#16 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:15 PM

Ironically there are about 5 threads about prefolds on the first page of the forum right now... with a few more about washing, line drying, wipes, etc...... There are also threads about popular diapers. But honestly it seems a pretty good mixture of everything. I've never seen anyone excluded because of the diapers they use and I have posted in that forum for more than 2 years. If people are self concious and feel they dont fit in because they dont have certain name brands thats a problem THEY have.. its not something others make them feel. I've used prefolds, ive used fitteds, ive made hyena fitteds...... its all just a diaper and I'm happy if someone uses any of those options.
#17 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
It seems to me that diapering has become a "hyena's Only" playground.. A thread was started in diapering about simple diapering.. A prefold and a snappi.. And the members who posted on it were referred to as TAO trolls..

Is diapering now only about revelling in the money you can spend or how much your diaper was? Or is it still possible to share your joy in the simplicity of a snappi and a prefold..

Perhaps we need a subforum in diapering for simpl diapering.. The simplicity of prefold, fitted and a cover. .That you love regardless of the fact it cost you less than $50..

Warm Squishy Feelings..
Dyan

I ventured into Diapering once, it had to have been 2 years ago and I felt that way even then. I never went back.
#18 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps it's just the late night hyenas with a bad attitude..

I did see the prefold threads today.. And that's cool.. I know that some of us did feel very.. Ridiculed, and made fun of.. Taken less seriously than other's who post in there more often.

Warm Squishy Feelings..
Dyan

#19 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Taken less seriously than other's who post in there more often.
or who spend more?
#20 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:26 PM

I think if it were to be split, I wouldn't do a "simple diapering" forum because there are tons of non-hyena diapers out there. Maybe keep diapering as diapering meaning anything from prefolds to fuzzi bunz to washing to whatever, and then add a "hyena subforum" for the show-off braggy type threads....

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#21 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 PM

So can we split TAO up too?Some of us don't feel comfortable there...

#22 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae
Maybe keep diapering as diapering meaning anything from prefolds to fuzzi bunz to washing to whatever, and then add a "hyena subforum" for the show-off braggy type threads....

#23 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
Is this meant to be sarcastic?

#24 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
you could start a thread about that if you want.

i'm sorry to hear that some people dont--there have been threads about that before--about what makes people feel included.
i also do a come meet so and so type thread every week to try and get differerent people known.
#25 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 PM

has nothing to do with who spends more....I've probably not spent more than $500 on diapering both my kids but I feel quite comfortable there. I dont typically get package or expensive pieces of wool..... but that doesnt mean that I think their spending is ridiculous. I just cant personally do it and dont judge someone who does have the money to do it.

Further, the mods have actually been making an effort to keep the "show off" threads to one thread a day that contain your purchaes, fluffy mail you have received, etc.

I'm not sure why it matters to anyone else what someone spends on a diaper (and this seems to be an underlying issue because I saw it mentioned on the pulled thread)... if its not your checkbook, who cares? I'm wondering if any of you who think the diapering forum is full of moms who think you suck if you cant buy expensive diapers were paying attention just the other day when many mamas were offering diapers for free to a mom who couldnt afford even prefolds? Yes some mamas spend lots of money there... some dont, but there is also quite a bit of generosity as well.....
#26 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 PM

I feel the same way some of the pp have mentioned about the diapering forum when I go into the TAO forum. I don't know all the inside jokes the mama's there share, I don't know how things run on a day to day, hour to hour basis. From an outsiders perspective they all seem snobbish and cliqueish (sp).

I really believe that is ONLY my perspective. I highly doubt those mama's are snobbish and don't want me to come play :LOL Its just that when a bunch of people spend a lot of time in one place it can look very different to someone who visits rarely.

Is this maybe what's happening with diapering?

And as for the show off and consumerism jabs can we please take a step back and look at our own lives? Don't *most* of us have something that we spend money on that others would just have a cow over?

-home gardening
-furniture
-cars
-dishes
-clothes
-hand bags :LOL
-model airplanes
-musical instruments
-toys for our kids
-slings

The list could go on and on. I think that diapering is a group of mama's who take *gasp* pleasure in something as mundane as diapering their babies. I think the majority there don't spend loads and loads on diapers (pardon the pun). I think there are a LOT of mama's spending a moderate amount and makes it appear to an "outsider" like there are 15 of us buying all the hyena diapers.

I can't think of one person in diapering who would want someone to feel lowly about their prefold stash. If someone has feelings of inadequacy when entering diapering that person's feelings are their own. If all that existed were prefolds and PUL covers, I'd still be cloth diapering. Its all I knew before MDC! Be proud of your prefolds! This coming from a mama with a fairly hyena stash who still loves her prefolds
#27 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#28 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 PM

I enjoyed reading that thread last night I think you have to understand the veiw point of the Diapering Forum "regular" though. At first glance it looked like a few mommas that don't normally post in Diapering were suddenly making their own active thread that almost appeared to be poking fun at those of us that primarily post in that forum. The OP was sarcastic in nature and the few replies that followed were as well. It was like somebody I didn't know was telling an "inside" joke in front of me. It absolutely did not ruffle my feathers...like I said, I enjoyed it. Others had a different reaction. It was not clear or obvious that the OP was simply trying to celebrate the simple pleasure of a snappi and prefold. The issue in that thread was absolutely not that a few mommas thought it was weird or wrong to celebrate a snappi.

There are 2 threads in Diapering this morning about Prefolds and how much we love them The tone of those threads is completely different than the one started last night. Discussions about more basic cloth diapering have always been welcomed and will continue to be. There are already a number of subforums for those just starting out and hope to have a more frugal diapering system.
#29 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:35 PM

Never mind. I'm not getting sucked in.

#30 of 292 Old 05-25-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are your being sarcastic..

Because TAO HAS been split.. There is the games forum and most of those threads USED to be in TAO general forum.. But way to be try to change the subject.. i didn't realize I was talking about TAO.. Why don't you go start a thread about that if it's really a concern for you..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page