A Pet Forum?? Yeah!! We got one!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 144 Old 06-29-2005, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this has been spoken about before, but I'm hoping it can possibly be revisited. Especially now that pet questions are being moved to various forums. Really, I only check TOA for them, but inevitably I'll get PM's from people asking me to look at a question in another forum--one I'd never think to visit.
I'm thinking there are usually at least one or two, and often many more pet questions a day. It would be really nice if they could all be asked in one location. I would be happy to moderate that forum. With the number of pet questions that are asked daily, I think a pet forum would see more traffic than many of our current forums do.
Pets are very much a part of family life. I think many families own pets and will often have questions ranging from nutrition, training, choosing a pet, dealing with the death of a pet, health issues and safety issues. I think it's a bit of a disservice to our community to ignore such an important part of family life.

I'd very much appreciate some considerations from the powers that be on this topic.

Thanks!
Shannon
#2 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I appreciate your devotion to pet topics Shannon and can understand the desire to have all pet threads in one forum. I'm just not sure if we should do so. We are more and more diluting our focus here by opening more and more forums. I want to only do so if it is something we really really need for Mothering's purpose on the web.

#3 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I understand the desire to not add too many more forums here, but many of us strive to apply the same natural living to our pets and I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot more of us with pets than there are who are say "living off the grid"
I mean, it seems that new forums are being added daily--look at the sheer numbers of forums under both diapering and Mindfull Home management, in yet we are ignoring pets who for those of us who share our lives with them, they are an important part of our life. I'd be willing to bet that 1/3 of MDC members have pets in their lives or are thinking of adding a pet to their life someday soon.

Perhaps to make things easier to decide--would it be alright to maybe post a poll in TAO asking just how many people own pets and if they think we need a pet forum?
#4 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Perhaps to make things easier to decide--would it be alright to maybe post a poll in TAO asking just how many people own pets and if they think we need a pet forum?

i have been wanting to do that but i have refrained. i think it is a great idea.

i really think it is a forum that would be utilizied.

i can understand not wanting to keep adding and adding forums, but i think this one is mertited. maybe a trial run?
#5 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
i have been wanting to do that but i have refrained. i think it is a great idea.

i really think it is a forum that would be utilizied.

i can understand not wanting to keep adding and adding forums, but i think this one is mertited. maybe a trial run?
Perhaps new posts could be moderated for forum appropriateness - kinda like SAHM? I would be happy to help out with this.
#6 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 11:18 AM

yes.
I believe Shannon, myself & Puppyfluffer have offered to Moderate it MANY times..

Yes, the sheer # of other threads is amazing.

There are many issues when it comes to pets & AP/NFL.

There are also a great # if folks that need training, grooming, breed, rescue help.
Many folks are AP/NFL with their kids & but sometimes the pets is not.
There is talk of BARF diets, PG pets, etc
I hear of many folks that have majoy family issues with pets.
I say give it a try, if it does not fly, then get rid of it.
Between the 3 of us if not a few more... we have tons of pet knowledge to be happy to share

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#7 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

See, we're at 6 responses by 10:30 the first morning this topic is posted, thats already more traffic than some of our forums see in a whole day!
#8 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 11:57 AM

I know, sometimes there are pages of 1 pet subject that need immediate attention & sometimes the thread gets lost in TAO b/c of all the posting action there

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#9 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Polka, the ones that concern me even more are the threads that are posted about pets in forums that none of us really visit. I've been pm'd many times by people wondering why I didn't comment on their thread--but I never visit the forums they are posting in--or sometimes moved to.
#10 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Polka, the ones that concern me even more are the threads that are posted about pets in forums that none of us really visit. I've been pm'd many times by people wondering why I didn't comment on their thread--but I never visit the forums they are posting in--or sometimes moved to.
Agreed !

#11 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Way back when humans were living totally natural, NFL at it's best, didnt they surround themselelves with pets and other animals? They had them for everything, as protection, transportation, plowing fields, etc. Now I know a pet forum is just strictly for pampered, loved pets, maybe some would consider thier farm animals pets, I know I did. I loved our chickens, ducks, turkies,etc. And this forum might be a great place for both, and certainly would be wonderful for pet lovers wiht all the issues pets entail. BTW the farm animals in question were never eaten, we just never had the heart for it

As others have pointed out there's tons of pet threads and pets are a huge part of most people's lives, mine included. See my sig for more details on how much I love my pets.

Just my $0.02
#12 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 01:53 PM

I am a SAHM and all day of every day I am involved in the care of my pets... I treat them in the same gentle, respectful, instinctive manner that I treat my daughters... They are very much a part of our family. When I am challenged by an aspect of caring for my dogs, I feel the same urgency to seek help, advice, guidence that I seek when my girls are ill or troubled.
NFL does not end with the humans under my roof - it involves every living being.

I think the many other gentle pet owners / animal lovers here at MDC would say the same... Please consider opening a pet forum so that we can come together to offer support to one another w/out wondering where to go...and without searching for where the latest pet topic has been moved/posted.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#13 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I agree that even farm animals are pets. Wether for consumption or not, as with other forums here at MDC, everyone doesn't have to agree with everyone else. We've considered getting chickens here but honestly, I don't know where to start (even though I live in farm country )
#14 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 02:12 PM

here's a link for other pet forum requests

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...earchid=813348

#15 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
We've considered getting chickens here but honestly, I don't know where to start (even though I live in farm country )

And what a perfect question that would be for a new pet forum...

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#16 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 02:43 PM

I think a pet forum would get a lot of action and be very important. I hope it will be reconsidered.
#17 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 03:12 PM

I definitely understand not wanting to create unnecessary forums but I would love to see a pet forum and would find it very helpful. I was actually surprised when I had cat troubles not to find a forum devoted to our animal friends. It felt weird and intimdating to ask the question I had in TAO. Count me in as another vote for "yes!"

--proud fur mama to Taffy : Bubba : and Chicken :

KT : - Smitten mama to J & M : Looking for a local group in SEPA? - See my homepage!
#18 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 06:47 PM

I'm in support of a pet forum and think it is a natural extension of Mothering and Natural Family Living. Many people feel that teaching children compassion and responsibility thru living with pets is an invaluable life lesson.

Caring for our pets from what natural gentle shampoo to wash them with to dealing with pet allergies and proper diets....it is all a bit on the "alternative". I think it fits well with the purpose of Mothering.

So, another positive vote for a pet forum. And I will moderate it.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#19 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 06:47 PM

I'll moderate it if I'm asked! :grin

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#20 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 08:02 PM

I'm new here, but I agree with others on this thread- it felt wierd to me not to find something about our pets- they are a huge part of our lives, and problems with them often affect our kids as well, whether it is health issues, dealing with death, tensions between kids and pets, including them in natural living, whatever Just my .02!

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#21 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I also agree that a pet forum would be great. I feel that pets are an important part of my family. They are my companions and life would be much emptier for my family without them. Their presence in our lives are helping to teach my children compasion, responsibility, and love. They have even learned about death when a dear pet died a few years ago, and the experience was helpful when explaining my miscarriage to them. I am slowly learning about nfl for my pets and alternative care for them as well. I think many here would find these things helpful to their families especially when veternary care can be so expensive. All in all, pets truly are a part of my family and I feel that this forum would be a wonderful way to connect all the pet questions out there together.

#22 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 08:31 PM

I know the rationale is that our pets are just as much a part of NFL as we are so if it's a health issue post in that forum, a dental issue post in that forum, etc. but I just don't think that threads about pets in those forums will be given the proper attention. It makes much more sense to have a place where animal lovers and those knowledgable about them can go to offer their help. I would be posting about my pets much more but I feel weird just posting about pets where people may not care to hear about them, kwim?
#23 of 144 Old 07-01-2005, 08:37 PM

I don't have a lot of time myself but I do think its a good idea, and I know there is at least one other vet on here too. I would certainly be happy to drop in there though. I don't have time to moderate my own msg board though! But there IS a need I think!

Who stole my signature!
#24 of 144 Old 07-02-2005, 12:32 AM

I hope that the pet forum proposal will be reconsidered.

The way I relate to our pets is entirely relevant to my family life as a whole--because they're members of our family.

I ask my dog questions at MDC because I trust that I will get quality advice--from people who understand that I am coming from a nfl/ap point of view. Sure, I could take it somewhere else, but nfl/ap issues are often at the heart of the conflict. It's really nice to talk to folks who all ready understand where I'm coming from.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#25 of 144 Old 07-02-2005, 12:58 AM
lab

I would love to see a pet forum and have voiced approval at having one in the past.

I recently lost a pet of 13 years and am taking it very hard. Close friends and family simply do not understand the devastation I feel.

I understand that grief and loss are there for me to post and receive support. Unfortunately, I simply do not feel comfortable posting about a pet in light of some folks losing a child. While I do feel the enormous grief and void in losing Lacy, I can't imagine losing a child and placing them in the same forum.

I believe a pet forum would have met my needs in a huge way!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#26 of 144 Old 07-02-2005, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

I saw in one of the other threads that Cythia said instead of a pet forum, threads about pets should be placed in whatever forum they fit best, she used the example of if it is about a toddler and a pet--post in toddlers--here's the problem with that--I for one don't have a toddler--so that is a forum I just don't go to--because it doesn't apply to me--however, issues between children and dogs do apply to me and it's something that I could be of assisstance with. I have offered and done many free telephone consults with MDC mamas--especially when the safety of a child is involved--but, I run a business, that is busy and I am being a mom to a 5 mos old--I don't really have time to visit forums that have nothing to do with me. I think that is the case for a lot of us "experts" here--we just don't have the time to search all the forums to make sure nobody has a serious question to ask.

So, please, to the powers that be--we received 25 posts in one day--is that not evidence enough that there is a need and a want?
#27 of 144 Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 AM

I'm one of the people who has requested a pet forum in the past - I understand the need to limit hte number of forums but this has been a fairly frequent request. Obviously the members of MDC would like this forum added .. I woulkd hope that the powers that be will honor our request.
#28 of 144 Old 07-02-2005, 09:05 AM

Hi There This is my first time writing but feel passionate about what I am about to say.
To the member who recently lost her pet of 13 years my heart goes out to you.
Your grief is real and I feel it is as strong as loosing a family member.
We have a super busy household. 7 children and 5 rescuce dogs. We love then so much to the point of them being as special to me as one of my children.
After all I have cared for them, healed their wounds, helped with their fears, taken them to training, take them to the vet, brush their teeth, feed them! They are a vital part of our family chemistry.
I would LOVE to see A Pet Forum for us mothers who not only reach out and care for children but who also take their time and nurture GODS creatures.
To the lady who recently lost her pet of 13 years our prayers our with you that you will hold onto the good times you had and surround yourself with photos and memories as your pet will ALWAYS be in your heart and close to you!
Love and Peace From Cindy Happy and Contented with ALL The Lord has given me
#29 of 144 Old 07-02-2005, 10:16 AM
lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood
To the lady who recently lost her pet of 13 years our prayers our with you that you will hold onto the good times you had and surround yourself with photos and memories as your pet will ALWAYS be in your heart and close to you!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am trying to hold on to the fun and memories, but it's so hard. She left such a void. I was laying on the sofa the other night and wanted to stretch out but didn't want to bump her so I lifted up and looked at the bottom of the sofa to see where I could put my feet. And she wasn't there. BLEH. (she was always right beside me - even if I just got up to get water - she would follow)

Shannon - you made the comment that we should post about pets in the proper forum. I remember that directive too. But you are right, for the same reason that you wouldn't check the forum for pet questions - I wouldn't go to the forum in the first place to post it.

Honestly, MDC is my little sanctuary. I love this place. But I didn't post a thread about Lacy. I just couldn't justify posting in grief and loss. Now I am not about to say that Lacy was just a pet and I couldn't post because of other people losing family members and children. That's not the case. Lacy wasn't 'just a pet'. It's just that it didn't feel right to post it there. YKWIM?

Another thing about posting in other forums is that they simply don't get the response you need. While that might make a good arguement for posting - to get more traffic in the forum - the simple fact is that by the time you get the traffic, your thread is usually buried.

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#30 of 144 Old 07-02-2005, 11:35 AM

Another vote for a pet forum!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page