bummed out by the banner - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2005, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara
I'm not familiar with the book reviewed on the site, but it sounds terrible. When we accepted the ad from Old Schoolhouse, we did not know that the site had published a positive review of a book that endorses spanking.
Peggy, I don't think you understand even now. This website has not just published a "positive review" of a book that "endorses spanking" -- they are enthusiastically promoting the entire system of abusive, degrading, spirit-destroying tactics championed by the Pearls! We are not talking about authors who "endorse spanking" -- we are talking about people who advocate repeatedly and deliberately striking babies who are but a few months old! And that is merely the tip of the iceberg for the Pearls. You must take the time to understand that if you hope to understand the level of outrage among the members -- and yes, subscribers -- here.

Quote:
When something like this is brought to our attention, we make every effort to look into the situation and to act in a responsible and ethical way. Unless a company engages in illegal activities, like some who take people’s money and don’t fill orders, it is unethical for me to take down an ad before the contract expires.
Sometimes, Peggy, you have to do what is RIGHT, not just what is "legal" or "responsible." You cannot give these promoters of baby whipping higher respect than you give babies themselves -- and the awesome parents here at MDC -- and still call yourself "ethical."

WE ARE CALLING YOU OUT, PEGGY O'MARA. Will you continue to hold onto your ego and place your self-labeled "ethics" on a pedestal? Will you continue to value having TOS admire your "responsible business ethics" or will you value the respect and love of your members and readers? Will you open your heart and your ears and hear us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
The argument is about spanking and child abuse and yet some of your tactics are equally as violent, and your arguments equally objectifying.

Equally violent?

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 07-28-2005, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I take your complaints seriously, but I take issue with your methods of persuasion. The argument is about spanking and child abuse and yet some of your tactics are equally as violent, and your arguments equally objectifying.
Seriously? You think that because some people are complaining and cancelling subscriptions and informing others of the situation that what they are doing is equal to beating a child with a switch?

Honestly.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanOBeans
Peggy, I don't think you understand even now. This website has not just published a "positive review" of a book that "endorses spanking" -- they are enthusiastically promoting the entire system of abusive, degrading, spirit-destroying tactics championed by the Pearls! We are not talking about authors who "endorse spanking" -- we are talking about people who advocate repeatedly and deliberately striking babies who are but a few months old! And that is merely the tip of the iceberg for the Pearls. You must take the time to understand that if you hope to understand the level of outrage among the members -- and yes, subscribers -- here.

Sometimes, Peggy, you have to do what is RIGHT, not just what is "legal" or "responsible." You cannot give these promoters of baby whipping higher respect than you give babies themselves -- and the awesome parents here at MDC -- and still call yourself "ethical."

WE ARE CALLING YOU OUT, PEGGY O'MARA. Will you continue to hold onto your ego and place your self-labeled "ethics" on a pedestal? Will you continue to value having TOS admire your "responsible business ethics" or will you value the respect and love of your members and readers? Will you open your heart and your ears and hear us?
:
Old 07-28-2005, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia80
i jus went to the TOS website and noticed (correct me if im wrong its 3am) but they have pulled the book from the 19 free gifts...

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com..._subscribe.php

(i believe on earlier pages it was part of the new sub package)
I was never 100% clear about the free gift thing. I know Annemarie mentioned it and I wished I had followed it up. I do think they changed their free gifts because when I went to double check the one I thought might be the Pearls was gone.

I wanted to say that the “Why Spank” think was also allowed to expire.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 07-28-2005, 05:31 AM

Old 07-28-2005, 08:16 AM

I'm pretty surprised that Ms O'Mara has not even heard about the Pearls and their advocacy of using The Rod on babies and children.

One story on their website, Ms O'Mara, tells with glee how Debi Pearl hit a toddler with a toy after the child hit her. Repeatedly she wacked the 3 yo's thigh with a plastic wrench until he was in too much pain to continue the "game" of hitting her back.

They also recommend pulling the hair of a biting nursling as young as 3 months.

They also recommend hitting a child repeatedly and unemotionally with their rod of choice, flexible plumbers tubing, if the child won't stay in its "own bed" at night. I have spoke to members on this board who as children had The Rod left on their bedside tables as a warning after this kind of "training." Every night the last thing they saw was this symbol of their subjection.

Other child abusing "trainers" you should be aware of are the Ezzos and James Dobson.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:
When something like this is brought to our attention, we make every effort to look into the situation and to act in a responsible and ethical way. Unless a company engages in illegal activities, like some who take people’s money and don’t fill orders, it is unethical for me to take down an ad before the contract expires.
I'm certain that the definition of "illegal activities" by Mothering extends beyond just illegal business practices, despite the fact that an illegal business practice is the only example cited.

Does anyone know if advocating and promoting the type of child abuse in question here is illegal in the USA? Or is it only illegal to actually follow the recommendations of the Pearls and their ilk? (Please, please reassure me that the latter at least is illegal. It is here in France at least.)

If promoting such child abuse is indeed illegal, then that might change things. I would hope at least.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:42 AM

WOW!!!
It is 330 am and i have been reading this thread for over 2 hours!! I am sick. I cant believe I thought this website would be a great place for me to spend some of my advertising dollars with. I do think this site is over moderated, and I cant believe the MDC leaders will come after you for having 2 1/2 lines in your sig, but if yououtright promote beating an infant, or anyone else, that is OK. I am torn now. Part of me wants to by a ton of banner to crowd out these HORRID people that BEAT defensless babies, as a way of training them, or to NEVER give MDC another PENNY!!!! As a reader I am sick!!! I dont subscribe, but I have read many of the mags. My local breastfeeding store hands them out at theBFIng support groups, You can bet I will be bringing this to their attention!!

I just dont get it. There are alot of threads on MDC that make me feel unwelcome, and that I am not meant to be here because of one thing or another, But this ad has made me feel so terrible about being a part of this community. This is not a matter of feeling unwelcome. but a matter of feeling ashamed for wanting to be a part of this group!!
If it is against MDC rules to have a advertisment that might in someway say it is OK to formula feed, I would hope that it would be against MDC rules to have an ad that says it is OK to beat an infant. Funny how the almighty buck might works

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
We have kept this thread open for you to be able to publically voice your concerns and criticism.

Quote:
While I’m interested in hearing your opinions, we also have standards for our board discourse and I ask you not to violate these. For example, many posts, emails and phone calls to the office have been disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, insulting and cast suspicion on Mothering, the magazine, the website, and the management. When the posts go beyond the scope of constructive criticism and become uncompromising, libelous and vigilante, I am not inclined to entertain them here on the MDC boards because they violate our standards of discourse, not because I don’t want to hear your legitimate concerns.
Here Peggy has asked that your complaints and criticism uphold our usual standards of civil and respectful discussion. But there continue to be posts that are ignoring her request and casting personally pointed statements that are adversarial and inappropriate. As a result this thread is now closed. Any further input can be mailed, emailed or PMed.

User Tag List