bummed out by the banner - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The best place to discover what the website is about is here
http://www.mothering.com/mdc/web_sta...ofpurpose.html

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#62 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can not believe that there are enough people in the world who do htis that this man can sell books! And even more I can not believe that my favorite magazine assosiated themselves with him.
Quote:
I would never want my child to read the teachings of this ministry which I beleive boarder on physical and masochistic child abuse. Why does Mothering have this double standard when it comes to graphic and deplorable advertising? Why does mothering refuse to take a stand against such things? The only thing I can think of is b/c ads provide money and while I understand mothering is ultimatly a buisness I refuse to beleive there are not more apropriate sponsors who would like to run ads here.
I completely agree !!!!
#63 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 08:48 PM

i'm very dissapointed about this ad being on MDC

dust.gif
#64 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 08:54 PM

why can't we question MDC
MDC is made by humans, we can't question that?
I have lived my life questioning everything! And I am only better for it

I and my dh are astonded by the ad being placed at mdc. He wants me to call the police in the town where the Pearls live, lol

Anyhoo, I think the most interesting thing to do now is fine out what guidelines, if any, there are for content on a website that advertises here and what kind of loophole mdc has or should have in their contracts regarding banner ad and links.
#65 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 09:05 PM

It is just sickening that that ad runs here!
#66 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm obviously a voice in the wilderness here, but I am wondering how far this whole line of thinking should be taken in your opinion-- for instance should MDC refuse to run a banner ad for a Jewish bookstore, because there might be a book in their inventory that endorses circumcision?
#67 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 PM

Don't they check these things out before they run the ads?
#68 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee
I'm obviously a voice in the wilderness here, but I am wondering how far this whole line of thinking should be taken in your opinion-- for instance should MDC refuse to run a banner ad for a Jewish bookstore, because there might be a book in their inventory that endorses circumcision?
Last I checked, while Mothering itself does not endorse circumcision, it doesn't have a zero tolerance policy for even discussing circumcision. I, for example, could start a thread about caring for my circumsized son's penis. I could not start a thread about how to spank my circumsized son.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#69 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
meowee.....we are talking about ABUSE. Not even "spanking" We are talking about beating babies and toddlers.

That is just sick and wrong.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#70 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
meowee.....we are talking about ABUSE. Not even "spanking" We are talking about beating babies and toddlers.

That is just sick and wrong.
EXACTLY!!!!

No Greater joy advocates spanking infants and beating toddlers with belts that is hardly the same thing as a persons choice to circ' based on religous principals.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#71 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Meowee. I completely see what you are saying BUT if MDC had a banner for a do-it-yourself-circ. website, I would be complaining up a storm! This is not a wonderful place that happens to have a link on page 89 to buy the book. It is their #1 story! This website is all about how to raise your children in the abusive way promoted by the Pearls.

As MDC has told us 1000x, there is no such thing as free speech here. So if Dildos-R-Us can't get an ad, this website should not either.

V.
#72 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 10:31 PM

Not that I give a lizard's leg about what they think....

But, I wonder what the Old Schoolhouse thinks about paying to have an ad here, where people don't share their beliefs? I hope they figure out that their advertising/product is not welcome here and take their money back.

Hmmm
#73 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 11:01 PM

i was not disagreeing with the thread re: spanking and just wanted to clear that up. i have never spanked my children and dont see the benefit in it. as for what is being said about old schoolhouse, i do agree that content re: spanking is not approprriate for MDC. However, i cant find the info. that is being described as objectionable. i visited the website but cant find anything about the Pearls.
as far as what was mentioned earlier, i do agree with gentle discipline (although still trying to get there), cosleeping, breastfeeding, cd'ing (this time and the first time but not the second). however, my sons are circumcised and vacinated. my only point was the not everyone is going to agree to everything promoted by MDC but that shoudl be OK. I do agree that issues re: circumcision and vaccination are different than spanking, however. i know some may disagree, but in my mind spanking is child abuse...the former are choices and heritage based (im sure spanking can be defined in that manner also but i hope most can understand the distinction i am making).
i am more interested in learning about what MDC encourages,esp. re: advertising on the website.
#74 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom
I refuse to beleive there are not more apropriate sponsors who would like to run ads here.
I do not find it so hard to believe.... and the evidence is found everywhere on the boards.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#75 of 370 Old 07-17-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyice
I found this the pearls
It sucked me into the begining, I was nodding my head. Then they started comparing children to animals and explaining the story o the father that spanked his 1 year old 15 times to save his soul.
Oh my word. very scary stuff.

oh my gosh. i kept reading and reading with disbelief that people actually follow these people's ideas. how sick.

ETA: i think this ad should be removed immediately. i pay not to see ads, but that company should not be allowed to advertise here. absolutely sickening.
#76 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 AM

That's just unacceptable.
#77 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 AM

Well, I *thought* I should stop reading the Pearls after he "humorously" talked about parents of misbehaving children looking like concentration camp victims ("The parents look like escapees from a Second World War, Polish boxcar"). Yes, they're just like my murdered relatives in Poland. Just like them. Identical. Well, except my relatives are DEAD and I guess these parents are somewhat aggrieved. Ha ha, how pithy, Mr. Pearl!

But then, because I must be masochistic, I kept reading and read all about how if a two-year old child hits you with a toy, you just get a bigger toy andhit him back, because:

"Understand, the adults' use of the toy wrench was not a substitute for the rod. This was not discipline, but training. The child was cheerfully striking with the toy. Though frustrated, he was not angry or mean. Had that been the case, his medicine would have been the rod. The returned blows were teaching him that what he was doing was painful and undesirable. He was also being taught that there were others who could give it out better than he. Most little bullies are cured by meeting a bigger bully. Children learn not to pick up wasps by picking up one."

http://city.hokkai.or.jp/%7Erepent/E...s/TrainUp.html

I suggest shunning to be a highly effective form of training nonempathetic bullies who like to torment children and use holocaust victims as jokes. Anybody who is in contact with these people (like, for example, homeschoolhouseofhorrors.com) should be shunned. MDC could at least tell them that they will honor the contract, but they're exposing themselves to very negative publicity. I mean, now I know where not to look! Ever!
#78 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 AM

the ad
the link

i just refreshed a bunch of times to see if the ad is still there, and it is.

i dont understand how the magazine can ethically run this ad. there must be some way to end the contract early and get it off mdc

heartbeat.gif

#79 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 AM

the Pearls make me sick. i finally found what was being referred to. here is their suggestion for purchase of an instrument to spank a child, including toddler with.
The rod we speak of is a plumbing supply line that can be bought at any hardware store or large department store. It is a slim, flexible, plastic tubing that supplies water to sinks, and toilets. Ask for "¼ inch supply line." They cost less than one dollar. I always give myself one swat before I swat the child to remind myself how much force to exert. It stings the skin without bruising or damaging tissue. It’s a real attention-getter. Michael demonstrates its use in our new Seminar videos.
they also encourage training sessions in which you place thigns in front of your child that are "no-nos" and wait for he/she to touch it then switch the child. how sick!
#80 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
"I always give myself one swat before I swat the child to remind myself how much force to exert. It stings the skin without bruising or damaging tissue."
Riiiight. They're concerned with the OUTWARD appearance of bruising and damaging tissue. All those nosy neighbors hearing the Pearl childrens' screams and cries will call 9-1-1 but then the police can't do anything with no bruised or damaged tissue presenting evidence of child abuse.

It's like...psychopathic! It's all planned out!

They also had a plan in case CPS took their children to escape and run with the children, if you read the fascinating article on homeschooling on the Pearl website, conducted by littlescaryschoolhouse. I have a very hard time, after reading more, believing that CPS was really just concerned about the homeschooling aspect. That may well be something they're saying to gain sympathy.
#81 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 01:06 AM

:Puke
#82 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 02:32 AM

i think we should all tell them how happy we are (NOT) that they are helping promote gentle discipline, etc. on MDC by their ads on this forum! isnt there a posting list similar to this on there? maybe we can get THEM more upset about this than WE are (and we already know they are very experienced in letting our their anger...).
#83 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 03:55 AM

The old schoolhouse mag also endorses Focus on the Family. I found this out when I found tos blog shares the same server as mine. :Puke

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
#84 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
I do agree that issues re: circumcision and vaccination are different than spanking, however.
I thought that non-religious circ was treated the same as spanking by MDC, in that you couldn't advocate it on the boards. Or does that just count for Case Against Circ? I know there's been some confusion about the Mothering position lately.
#85 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 AM

the banner came up for me just now and I clicked on Reviews-Character Building [sic] and came up with Pearls of "wisdom."

the hitting of babies is bad, and so is this:

Quote:
In our last issue, we addressed a growing concern: far too many homeschool kids are jumping ship at the first opportunity, throwing their Christian teaching to the wind and joining the world’s parade to hell. The first crop of homeschoolers has matured; the fruit is ripe; the time of reaping has come. It is not the day of judgment, but to many parents it feels akin to the Great Tribulation. Parents are seeing their own flesh and blood take on characteristics of the enemy...the devil is in the air we breathe, the food we eat, and even in the sex organs of a thirteen-year-old.

Many parents have had their faith shaken. “We didn’t watch television or associate with sinners[sic]; we taught our children Christian principles; why didn’t it work?” It is almost as though Christians are believing the leftist propaganda that environment and heredity are the factors that determine a person’s behavior.[sic]
Etc, ad nauseum.
#86 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraeileen
Riiiight. They're concerned with the OUTWARD appearance of bruising and damaging tissue. All those nosy neighbors hearing the Pearl childrens' screams and cries will call 9-1-1 but then the police can't do anything with no bruised or damaged tissue presenting evidence of child abuse.
Which I'm sure is exactly why they also suggest pulling a child's hair... it inflicts pain with no risk of outwardly marks. :Puke

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#87 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon
I do not find it so hard to believe.... and the evidence is found everywhere on the boards.
I'm confused by this...? My point is that MDC is full of ads- there was no other company or WHAM that fits in more with MDC's ideals that could have been sold that banner space.

It is my opnion that Pearl's are beyond spanking and physicallchild abuse. The stories on the NGJ web site are written like erotic tales of s&M involving infants and toddlers.

It does not apear that Cynthia is charge of advertising, but I think we need her to tell us who is and we need to act now to stop this ad from running here. I don't normally get worked up about a lot of the issues that upset people about the way mothering is being run or the changes being insituted but I'm not sure I can continue to be a member of a community that doesn't want children to read that people have sex with their spouse/ partners for fun but doesn't find it problamatic for children to click an ad that enables them to read stories that involve people braggimg about beating babies.

If indeed MDC does not review ads before placing them I think we as members really need to work urge the admin. to change that policy.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#88 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 10:08 AM

I guess this is my main problem with this thread-- virtually *every* homeschooling resource that is in some way Christian carries books on "Biblical child training." Including Rainbow Resource which just about every homeschooling mother here at MDC has ordered from! They carry a book called "What the Bible Says About Child Training" which advocates physical abuse of children.

And differentiating between religious circ and non religious circ is not applicable to this discussion, b/c for fundamentalist Christians, "child training" is a religious belief-- they believe the Bible tells them to do it.
#89 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Mothering's Advertising page: http://www.mothering.com/sections/ad...vertising.html

Here's some contact email addys. Maybe we could voice upset over the placement of the ad directly to those who approve them:

Mothering Main Site Advertising:
webads@mothering.com

Mothering Dot Commune Message Boards Advertising:
mdcadvertising@mothering.com

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#90 of 370 Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I guess this is my main problem with this thread-- virtually *every* homeschooling resource that is in some way Christian carries books on "Biblical child training." Including Rainbow Resource which just about every homeschooling mother here at MDC has ordered from!
What on earth? Are you implying "just about every homeschooling mother" on this board is fundamentalist Xtian and uses a Xtian curriculum that encourages hitting children?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page