WAS - another plea...NOW -discussion about Diapering - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
What would YOU call a stash of 80 diapers?
Someone who doesn't like laundry!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#302 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug
...and who makes the rules?
TPTB

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#303 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
What would YOU call a stash of 80 diapers? I've seen stashes that took up entire amoires, covered walls of rooms, overflowed from closets...

One of the appeals of NFL for folks is the idea of REDUCING consumption, not fueling a new compulsion to buy new crap all the time. I'm not seeing how the hyenas are furthering CDing as anything other than a very expensive and exclusionary pastime.

So, what would your solution be? Really, spell it out. Those who have more than a certain number of diapers are just plain not allowed to call themselves a natural living family? Shouldn't be allowed to be part of this community? Musn't post here?

If these are the rules, then obviously a lot of hyenas don't fit in. I think it's just the ambiguity (oh the spelling!) of these "rules" that's getting to a lot of us. There is an unwritten rule. Why not just come out and say it? Be done with it. Apparently there is a sect of "not-crunchy-enough" that is unwelcome here, and will always be "called out." There will always be discussions like this, until it is put in concrete - hyenas not welcome. Done.
#304 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not seeing how the hyenas are furthering CDing as anything other than a very expensive and exclusionary pastime.
Alot of mamas accidently fall into NFL as a result of cute cloth diapers.

To be honest.....cloth diapers and water birth is how I found my way here.

Since finding you mamas.....we use homeo, eat some organic, cloth diaper, mama cloth, cloth in the home (TP, paper towels, napkins....), all natural cleaners, babywear, no vax for #3 and no more vax for #1 and #2, drug and intervention free birth for #3 (first 2 induced and epi.....almost died), will homebirth/UC and will be eating my placenta next time :

A LOT has changed in a year and a half. I owe alot to you mamas.

And it all started with googling cute cloth diapers and water birth :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#305 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee

:
#306 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
And how does that picture make the mom that owns 6 flats and handwashes them 2 times a day feel?

#307 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averymybaby
OK. This is an attitude that you carry with you in all aspects of your life. But other people don't share that feeling about certain ways of doing things. I guess I'm wondering if what you're opposed to is what you see as "pro-consumerism"?
I'm not sure what you're trying to find out from me. Do I think showing off purchases really and truly fits in with a site that was founded by someone who is ANTI-consumerism? No. Do I think you have the right to flaunt your goodies, though? Yes. Do I like that it is now in a separate forum so I can take what I want and leave the rest a whole lot easier? Yes.

It's why I like the board split. There's the best of both worlds in Diapering now.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#308 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
What would YOU call a stash of 80 diapers? I've seen stashes that took up entire amoires, covered walls of rooms, overflowed from closets...

One of the appeals of NFL for folks is the idea of REDUCING consumption, not fueling a new compulsion to buy new crap all the time. I'm not seeing how the hyenas are furthering CDing as anything other than a very expensive and exclusionary pastime.
i am glad that they buy 1000 of CD's and not sposies.

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#309 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:

Would you rather the hyenas not cd? Isn't it better to cd than use sposies?
#310 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:

You do realize that this is how *you* see it, and I see it differently? That there are those that share your position, and those that don't? It doesn't make yours inherently right.
#311 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Alot of mamas accidently fall into NFL as a result of cute cloth diapers.
That's a misnomer. A lot of mamas mistakingly say they are NFL simply because they buy cloth diapers. NFL is a heck of a lot more than that.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#312 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
And how does that picture make the mom that owns 6 flats and handwashes them 2 times a day feel?

She can choose to be jealous and sad about it, or she can choose to ignore it, or she can choose to laugh about it. She can choose to do many things. Assuming she is going to be sad doesn't give her much credit to make her OWN CHOICES.
#313 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
That's a misnomer. A lot of mamas mistakingly say they are NFL simply because they buy cloth diapers. NFL is a heck of a lot more than that.

it's a heck of a lot of different things to a heck of a lot of different people. you don't own it, you can't define it for everyone.
#314 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:08 AM

Quote:

maybe cd'ing is just the beginning for some....
#315 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:09 AM

Quote:
TPTB
What does that mean? :

#316 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
She can choose to be jealous and sad about it, or she can choose to ignore it, or she can choose to laugh about it. She can choose to do many things. Assuming she is going to be sad doesn't give her much credit to make her OWN CHOICES.
Well, I guess Rosa Parks could've just laughed it off too, huh?

#317 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
but its a start! give them that! i dont live like you or anyone else. i am very mainstream but i like CD's, BF, and making life as easy as i can. just because they dont live like you. does not mean that they are trying to rub it in!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#318 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
You know.....she has choices as well.

She can make some more, post on MDC giving, go on freecycle, goodwill.....

There are no victims here....

#319 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
What does that mean? :
You will never know. :creepyhandwavingsmilie:

#320 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexplorers
maybe cd'ing is just the beginning for some....
If it starts them on the path, that's awesome! I'll admit it, it did for me. But to claim to be NFL, and to use that as an excuse to buy more cloth diapers when the rest of their lifestyle is in complete opposition to it, would be lying.

#321 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to find out from me. Do I think showing off purchases really and truly fits in with a site that was founded by someone who is ANTI-consumerism? No. Do I think you have the right to flaunt your goodies, though? Yes. Do I like that it is now in a separate forum so I can take what I want and leave the rest a whole lot easier? Yes.

It's why I like the board split. There's the best of both worlds in Diapering now.

OK, I understand your position a little better then. So does that mean that other forums where someone might be showing off something deemed consumerist (consumeristic? : i don't know) are being "policed" (I lack a better word right now) for that too? And should there be a split in those forums too? You might as well make it an across-the-board sweep.
#322 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 AM

Quote:
YES.

#323 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Please reread above post...I added more

#324 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Quote:

Hardly a comparison. You're really digging here.
#325 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So, what would your solution be? Really, spell it out. Those who have more than a certain number of diapers are just plain not allowed to call themselves a natural living family? Shouldn't be allowed to be part of this community? Musn't post here?

If these are the rules, then obviously a lot of hyenas don't fit in.
Hmmm. You know, there are a lot of people in Diapering with thousands of posts who don't seem to post anywhere else. Make of that what you will.

Mostly, I am annoyed that the hyenas "want their board back" when Diapering should be something that is accessible to everyone on MDC. Prior to the split, it was not.

I would never have sent a CD-curious friend over there. So I'm pleased that the board is split. The Diapering board doesn't only belong to people with the $$$$ to play hyena.

JMO.
#326 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Quote:

You're comparing apples and oranges. There is no law that says that mama cannot own more. Her circumstances may not allow it but she has the right.
#327 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:13 AM

Quote:
OK, I understand your position a little better then. So does that mean that other forums where someone might be showing off something deemed consumerist (consumeristic? : i don't know) are being "policed" (I lack a better word right now) for that too? And should there be a split in those forums too? You might as well make it an across-the-board sweep.
I think it would help some people if there were a whole sub-forum dedicated to babywearing photos.

#328 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
If it starts them on the path, that's awesome! I'll admit it, it did for me. But to claim to be NFL, and to use that as an excuse to buy more cloth diapers when the rest of their lifestyle is in complete opposition to it, would be lying.
you act like NFL is a major title! did you write the deff. in the dictionary for NFL. im sure people do it diff. ways

#329 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Pretty drastic comparison...

#330 of 644 Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
And should there be a split in those forums too? You might as well make it an across-the-board sweep.
Maybe there should be. I don't know. We're not talking about the feelings of the participants of those forums right now. We're talking about how Diapering mamas feel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page