WAS - another plea...NOW -discussion about Diapering - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 08:23 PM
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
No, someone actually said that on the S&T board instead. Sad huh?
Let's be clear here: Someone actually said that someone else SUCKS because they use towels or Gerber prefolds?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-15-2005, 08:24 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
I'm sorry, but to me, rabid consumerism is very anti-nfl- tread gently, etc.
It's actually also very much against everything PeggyO, the owner of this site, has to say about consumerism in her essays, articles, and books. Hey - my English major self thinks maybe we should all read them and discuss them.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 PM
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
No I can't. Although I seem to recall being called a troll when I supported a mama who was happy she had a prefold and a snappi.
See my previous post.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace




(sorry, that's the only no smilie here. )
:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
I guess we have to start saving threads/posts attacking those buying diapers that arent prefolds... it never occured to me to that or ammunition later.
To be honest, I didn't actually intentionally save them. I get the replies in my emails, and my email box is horribly full. I was going through it, and there they were.

And I am not using it as 'ammo' but to please request that BOTH sides stop pretending things didn't occur when they did, or we're never going to get anywhere with this but running round in circles.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
 
stacey0402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
Um. I have replies that were made to particular threads saved, in black and white 'fact' form. So please do not imply it is not a fact. When it IS a fact that it occurred on BOTH sides. I'm trying to be honest and find a middle ground about it all. Can you try to do so please?
I think that's exactly what I'm trying to do as well. Be honest. I have spent a great deal of time in the Diapering forum and I have never seen anybody make fun of a frugal diapering mom. I have seen the few instances brought up here in this thread and I don't think saying that "it happened" tells the whole story.
stacey0402 is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:29 PM
 
zexplorers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: It's a dry heat.....
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
I'm sorry, but to me, rabid consumerism is very anti-nfl- tread gently, etc. I don't think spending spending 25 dollars on a diaper is bad. I don't think spending a particular amount of money is necessarily bad. It is the cut-throat attitude, being annoyed if your children make you miss a stocking, etc etc.

I used to feel like I was on a cd board on babycentre.
If I need a diaper for my child and choose hyena over mass produced then that is not rabid consumerism.

I think we can all agree that not attending to your children's needs for any reason is not acceptable whether it's trying to get a hyena diaper or playing internet games or surfing the web, etc.... I believe anyone who posted that they were upset that they missed out on something because of their kids was probably joking....

I've never been to babycentre - too mainstream LOL!!
zexplorers is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:29 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, but there lies the rub... according to the UA, we can't tell the whole story because we'd be talking old threads, and especially because many were removed.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
PatchyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 5,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
It's actually also very much against everything PeggyO, the owner of this site, has to say about consumerism in her essays, articles, and books. Hey - my English major self thinks maybe we should all read them and discuss them.
PeggyO also refuses to come out and say that circ is wrong in all cases...

but even so not everyone who buys expensive diapers are rabid consumers. This site is made up of a broad spectrum of people. Maybe those who are here just for the diapers will learn something else about NFL? I know I did, i dont know that I would have found out about vaccines, CLW, etc if I hadnt been drawn here by the diapering board.
PatchyMama is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:30 PM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
I have practically lived in the diapering forum for the past year and a half and I have never once seen someone get criticized for using frugal dipes or for not using hyena dipes.


Are we back to this again? The ONLY reason that person was called a troll is because they seemed to be mocking hyenas. It was NOT because they were talking about a non-hyena diaper. That incident has been explained to death. People have ALWAYS asked questions about non-hyena diapers and have always received support in return. I have never even once seen anyone receive a negative response as a result of posting about a prefold or other frugal diaper. Anyone who spent any kind of time in the old forum the way it used to be knows that the very idea is ridiculous. Prefolds have ALWAYS been talked about enthusiastically ALL THE TIME by the members of the forum INCLUDING the hyenas.
There was not just one incident. I have been called a troll for just answering threads that aren't about hynea/prefold/etc

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:31 PM
 
stacey0402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
It's actually also very much against everything PeggyO, the owner of this site, has to say about consumerism in her essays, articles, and books. Hey - my English major self thinks maybe we should all read them and discuss them.
see, this is where I see things differently. I don't see how paying somebody a living wage goes against Peggy's vision or is anti-nfl.

I'm not quoting you to single you out either, I just now saw this post from the previous poster in your reply.
stacey0402 is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:31 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I truly don't understand why some people insist on turning the reorganization of the diapering board into an us verses them issue. Is anyone being told that they cannot post certain things?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:32 PM
 
cielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sendaria
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zexplorers
If I need a diaper for my child and choose hyena over mass produced then that is not rabid consumerism.
I think that's the heart of the question other posters here have. How do you define "need" and when you do you have "enough"? And what are the moral and ethical implications of posting about the fact that you have "more than enough" in a forum where most users advocate non-consumerism and simple living?
cielle is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:32 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
There was not just one incident. I have been called a troll for just answering threads that aren't about hynea/prefold/etc
And even if the word troll isn't explicitly used, being accused of "coming out of the woodwork" to post only when there's "controversy," or that people who don't post "enough" shouldn't have a say is pretty much the same thing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey0402
see, this is where I see things differently. I don't see how paying somebody a living wage goes against Peggy's vision or is anti-nfl.

I'm not quoting you to single you out either, I just now saw this post from the previous poster in your reply.

Nevermind. It is not about the price tag. It is simply about the consumerism. If people don't see it, I can't explain it any further.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
Are we back to this again? The ONLY reason that person was called a troll is because they seemed to be mocking hyenas.
And this makes a point -- 'seemed to be'. The perception of something does not make it true. And the post was a mama saying 'look what I got!' with a pic of a prefold and snappi. That was IT. Generic. And she, and anyone saying they were happy for her, got ripped to shreds.

The first reactions and the first ACTIONS taken by the 'regular users' is the problem in this case, not the topics. We all need to be the AP mamas that we are and speak to the MAMAS posting these threads with love, and not attack based on a topic.



reworded that last paragraph. I typed too quickly.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 19,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ummmm....I know some mamas who owns well over 100 prefolds and use Gerber pants.

Overly purchasing items can happen whether you use hyena, basic, or in between.

Also....alot of the hyena items retail used. They are used by many other babies. That is a plus. (EX: decorative wool longies can be passed on for generations even )

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
And even if the word troll isn't explicitly used, being accused of "coming out of the woodwork" to post only when there's "controversy," or that people who don't post "enough" shouldn't have a say is pretty much the same thing.

Yeah exactly. I remember one thread in particular where a bunch of close knits mamas I know from a different community were posting on a thread, and some people made snide remarks about the "newbies" even though most of us had been there longer and had more posts than some of the people complaining about us.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
PatchyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 5,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cielle
I think that's the heart of the question other posters here have. How do you define "need" and when you do you have "enough"? And what are the moral and ethical implications of posting about the fact that you have "more than enough" in a forum where most users advocate non-consumerism and simple living?
but what may be more than enough for some, isnt for others. I know lots of mamas who have "more than enough" because it means each diaper gets washed less since there is so many to cycle through. That inturn leaves that diaper to last longer... and then it can be sent to another home to be reused.
PatchyMama is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
 
cielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sendaria
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Ummmm....I know some mamas who owns well over 100 prefolds and use Gerber pants.

Overly purchasing items can happen whether you use hyena, basic, or in between.
Exactly but "overly purchasing" is celebrated only in the diapering forums.
cielle is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Ummmm....I know some mamas who owns well over 100 prefolds and use Gerber pants.

Overly purchasing items can happen whether you use hyena, basic, or in between.

Exactly my point. It is the consumerism, not the price.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I truly don't understand why some people insist on turning the reorganization of the diapering board into an us verses them issue. Is anyone being told that they cannot post certain things?
:

I wasn't feeling it until this thread.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
PatchyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 5,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cielle
Exactly but "overly purchasing" is celebrated only in the diapering forums.
lots of mamas in the babywearing forum have more than one sling....i know some moms who have more slings than I have diapers. I dont judge them, they are wearing their baby and thats all that matters to me
PatchyMama is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:38 PM
 
stacey0402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cielle
I think that's the heart of the question other posters here have. How do you define "need" and when you do you have "enough"? And what are the moral and ethical implications of posting about the fact that you have "more than enough" in a forum where most users advocate non-consumerism and simple living?
I see your point, and I agree.
stacey0402 is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:38 PM
 
zexplorers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: It's a dry heat.....
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cielle
I think that's the heart of the question other posters here have. How do you define "need" and when you do you have "enough"? And what are the moral and ethical implications of posting about the fact that you have "more than enough" in a forum where most users advocate non-consumerism and simple living?

That is to be determined by the user, not to be judged by others. My needs may be different from someone elses but that does not make either one of us 'right' or 'wrong'.

Some people can live without electicity and running water - does that make them better than people who can't?
zexplorers is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cielle
I think that's the heart of the question other posters here have. How do you define "need" and when you do you have "enough"? And what are the moral and ethical implications of posting about the fact that you have "more than enough" in a forum where most users advocate non-consumerism and simple living?
:

(I can take a break from posting and just use this guy for awhile, since you worded that far better than I could. Cool!)

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 PM
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
You've been online the wrong times of day then. They were there. You simply missed them before they were pulled then.
Then someone please tell me exactly what was said, or at least as close as you can remember, and in what context (what exactly was the comment they were responding to?). That will help me know what to think about the possibility that it was just another complete misunderstanding like the prefold/snappi incident.

It seems like if it's happening as often as is being claimed, I would have seen at least ONE comment by now before it got pulled. I have seen LOTS of anti-hyena comments before they got pulled.

But to say that "now I can ask a question about a non-hyena diaper without getting called a troll?" Come on! That is SUCH a misrepresentation of the way the forum was before the split. I mean, people asked questions about frugal diapers ALL THE TIME and received nothing but positive comments!!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 PM
 
Jennisee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I truly don't understand why some people insist on turning the reorganization of the diapering board into an us verses them issue. Is anyone being told that they cannot post certain things?
There may not be an official decree from the PTB, but in nearly every "us against them" thread (including this one), there are people saying that people should not be allowed to talk about diapering items that cost "too much," that are less available than others, etc. b/c it is not NFL enough, not Peggy enough, etc. I think that is what hurts many of the Diapering people who are trying to live a responsible NFL lifestyle.
Jennisee is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
TThat will help me know what to think about the possibility that it was just another complete misunderstanding like the prefold/snappi incident.
I'm not liking the implication that if a 'diapering regular' says something sarcastic and snotty that it is just a 'complete misunderstanding' and if someone who may not post in Diapering only (but who DOES cloth diaper) and rack up numerous posts there says something that ruffles feathers, then they are deemed a troll, cause trouble, etc. and are not given the same courtesy of 'oh this must be a misunderstanding'?

It's that whole immediate perception and immediate action thing again that is causing these issues. Why is one MDC mama excused off the bat and the other not? Both being MDC regulars they should both be given the benefit of the doubt.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
Then someone please tell me exactly what was said, or at least as close as you can remember, and in what context (what exactly was the comment they were responding to?).
I had one right here in this thread. Let me go grab it and add it here.

post #66 refers to one recent occurance, then read on down through the posts after it.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off