Birth & Beyond: C/S sub-forum? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 172 Old 01-18-2006, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2emerson
I do agree that a place to discuss traumatic birth experiences would be a positive addition to MDC.

Annakiss, you're right in that many women who have also had vaginal births have had very, traumatic experiences. I think this may be a good compromise.
I also think this is a great idea!

I think it would get the message across that MDC is not supportive of c-s as alternative method of birth but providing a forum for women who need to heal and are looking for support after a birth that did not do as they had hoped. I think most women here who have gone through a c-s would consider it fairly traumatic. I'd venture to say that women here who must plan a c-s for medical reasons would find it fairly traumatic to not have a birth go as hoped or originally planned.

Quote:
I would still like to see a dedicated place where women who are planning for a csec (even if it's just to have a backup plan) can discuss medication options, bfing and pain meds, healing, birth plans, etc. for making it as natural of a birth as possible without disapproval from those who look down on women who have had csecs, but I understand that this is unlikely to occur at MDC.
Do you think this forum would/could still cover those needs? I'm one of the last people anyone thought would need a c-s and I definitely don't advocate random c-sections but I encourage women to think through a c-s birth plan to make a possible c-s more satisfying and fulfilling. I would imagine that women could get support here on how to maintain an AP-style of parenting even while healing from surgery or other birth trauma.

Oh and thank you Sarah, anonymommy, Maman*Musique for the suggestions! I will definitely get in touch with Nancy Wainer – I know of her books but I didn’t know anything else about her. Oh, and Maman*Musique – I think I meant to say certified. Basically, I want someone trained, experienced, knowledgable and pro-vbac. One someone had said to “ask around” I had these thoughts of some friend of a friend of a friend who dabbles in midwifery. I wouldn’t expect that someone would post on here “Midwife Mary Jones attends HBACs in NJ even though they are illegal” but I didn’t really know where to start looking. I’m surrounded by mainstreamers. I’m not pg yet but I am doing a ton of hunting and gathering of info for my next birth. I had a midwife with my first birth but apparently, I really need to research my providers more thoroughly.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#122 of 172 Old 01-18-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Who is offended by your need for support? I don't see that. We do not exclude those who require c-sections. We do not exclude those who have had c-sections. There is plenty of room in Birth & Beyond to hold discussions for supporting those who have had cesarean sections.
Please, tell me you are kidding here. You honestly don't 'see' that many people IN THIS THREAD ALONE have expressly stated that creating a C-Section sub-forum would somehow muck up the boards here?

The feeling that many are coming away from this thread with is 'How dare you expect SUPPORT and ANSWERS from MDC if you had a c-section'. I mean, really, c-sections aren't NORMAL or NATURAL, so if you had one, no matter the reason....

Well, you need to do extensive searching in all the possible forums for any thread that *might* apply to your current situation/feelings/questions. It would certainly be TOO MUCH to ask for a place where a woman could go to get all this info in one place, right?

Better yet, how about the suggestion that c-section moms should seek answers somewhere else altogether. Who cares if they find a place that can give them answers and/or support from a natural family living perspective.

The more I think about this topic, the more annoying it is. I'd also like to ask why on earth MDC has deemed it 'appropriate' to have a working moms forum. I mean, surely the 'flood gates' were opened to women who CHOOSE to work and leave their children for hours every single day in the care of someone else. How is THAT 'natural'?
#123 of 172 Old 01-18-2006, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think a "Traumatic Birth" forum is a good compromise. Maybe I'm being too self-centered here, but "traumatized" is certainly an accurate way to describe the way I feel when I think about having a surgical birth. And it seems quite intuitive that threads about ways to minimize/avoid specific traumas related to a medicalized birth would be "at home" in the Traumatic Birth forum. Another poster has also made the excellent point that a mama can be plenty traumatized by a birth even if no scalpel was involved...

Thanks, mods and other powers-that-be, for trying to find a way to meet this need in our community.
#124 of 172 Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM

I dissent from the acceptance of a "traumatic birth" forum as a compromise. While it might be a good thing, what about women who want to make their birth experience trauma-free? What's wrong with trying to make your cesarean birth a wonderful and happy occasion?

Don't mean to belittle adoptive parents, but it's rather upsetting that there is a subforum for those parents to discuss their issues- including the many ways one brings their baby home- and not one for biological mothers who happen to have their babies in the operating room instead of the bedroom.

annakiss wrote:

There is plenty of room in Birth & Beyond to hold discussions for supporting those who have had cesarean sections.

If there's plenty of room, then what's wrong with a subforum to organize and protect the discussion?
#125 of 172 Old 01-18-2006, 09:42 PM

Liz, you are a fabulous advocate and, in general, a goddess
#126 of 172 Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM

I am so shocked at the suggestion "traumatic birth" forum! What an incredibly demoralizing title.

I had to have a c-section. It was not traumatic. I wanted, and want in the future, a drug-free vaginal birth. But to label my birth experience as necessarily "traumatic" is just SO condescending. My god. Do I have to wear a burlap sack and smear ashes on my face, too?

Look, I know we're all trying to work through this together. I just have to be honest how this compromise hit me. Forgive me if I sound a little steamed (I'm in my first trimester and a little prone to a "temper" ).

But the fact remains, I, someone who would welcome discussion of c/sec issues, would not visit a forum with such a label. It just presumes a lot.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#127 of 172 Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
Liz, you are a fabulous advocate and, in general, a goddess
aw shucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillMtnMama
"traumatic birth" forum! What an incredibly demoralizing title.
I mean, really. A "traumatic birth" subforum would be great for discussing traumatic births, I guess, but to suggest that when people here have been asking for a forum to discuss, my god, positive aspects of cesarean birth, is quite a slap in the face. Excuse us for believing someone can have a great cesarean. Excuse us for believing women are intelligent enough not to "get the wrong idea" by merely seeing a cesarean birth forum, or run out and schedule one because if motheringdotcommune says it's ok it must be great! :

When I first read Naomi Wolf's Misconceptions I really felt a lot of it didn't relate to me or the women I know. Now I see, unfortunately, just how spot-on she is in her analysis of "two camps" when it comes to choosing one's path through pregnancy and childbirth. And I see women here have the same attitude towards women that the "malepractice mainstream" is accused of having: our way or the highway.

So although her book is almost ten years old, it seems more progressive thinking is taking place in that "mainstream" world, and at a faster place, than here. People here can talk about things (like Unassisted Birth or not-vaccinating) that one can find statistics to "prove" are dangerous, but to talk about improving cesarean section, when in some places one-half or more of the births are cesareans, is not in line with the dogma Mothering has chosen to espouse.

And yes, it's a privately-owned thing, and can even go ahead and censor this discussion, if its owner chooses. But it seems to me there is no acknowledgment of the point at which it is *more* than a privately-owned board and I wonder at what level it becomes a true "community," with input and presence from its members, too. I am also disturbed by the implication that improving cesarean birth is somehow dangerous- we might be increasing the level of cesareans! So I should stop helping women at hospital births, because if as a doula I help them have a terrific birthing, they're not having a homebirth?! Maybe we should just help everyone have a wonderful birth and transition to motherhood, period.
#128 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 AM

I've never read a post here or met a midwife, mother or other that claims no cesarean is "necessary."

I think certain people are reading into things that aren't there, as is common when emotion runs high.

Someone said "there's a homebirth forum, a VBAC forum... what about the hospital forum? The c-section forum?" Well, the vast majority of women can birth naturally. Every other site on the internet is "hospital-birth-this, cesarean-section-that". Mothering advocates for what is normal and healthy for the vast majority of mothers and babies, PERIOD. There will always be exceptions to every rule. No one here is arguing that. Mothering upholds what is normal, natural, and attainable for most women and babies. Mothering is a crunchy old hippie rag. If it changes its face, changes its colors, it loses what makes it the awesome - and very alternative - rag it is! It shouldn't have to cater to every if, and, or but known to womankind.

I read Parenting sometimes. I could sit there and write letters to the editor about how they need to talk about how unsafe vaccines are, or I could decide I can't stand the vaccine articles and give it up. A magazine has its philosphies, values, and ideals. This website is simply an extension of Mothering magazine.

HIPPIE RAG. Hippie rag. Alternative magazine. Crunchy. Granola. Liberal. Doesn't need to cover the mainstream.................................. because, well, the mainstream is mainstream!

I understand the need for support for an unplanned cesarean. Start a thread in B&B, or Finding Your Tribe. I suffered SEVERE ppd with my first.... bordering on psychosis. There was no forum for "I'm so miserable I'm going to kill myself and I'm afraid I will hurt my baby". This issue was real, it was physical, it was unplanned, it was extremely traumatic for me. AP was absolutely NOTHING like I dreamed of or expected, either. I'm saying this because I know what it's like to have these plans and dreams for what you desire, only to have it shredded in front of you.

Those of us who think it strange to have a cesarean forum on the MOTHERING MAGAZINE website aren't a bunch of stuck up granola "you didn't do it right" types, and it is probably against UA to continue to try and paint us this way. If there's a quote out there that claims all c/sections are unnecessary, I'd love to see it! But to step away from only encouraging natural birth..... after all, it IS a "natural family living" mag..... to having a medical birth forum is just pushing it way too far.

That's just MHO.
#129 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 AM

I was suggesting a Traumatic Birth sub-forum as a place to discuss traumatic births, whether cesarean or vaginal. I was thinking that cesarean topics not related to healing from traumatic c/s could remain in the Birth & Beyond main forum along with a sticky of valuable information about c/s. I am not trying to suggest that those necessitating cesareans are somehow lesser than those who birth vaginally or without pain medication. I will repeat that we do not maintain that there is any correct way to birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
I am also disturbed by the implication that improving cesarean birth is somehow dangerous- we might be increasing the level of cesareans! So I should stop helping women at hospital births, because if as a doula I help them have a terrific birthing, they're not having a homebirth?!
If you are seeing this implication in my words, I think you are reading way too far into it. I apologize for any inadvertant offense I may have caused, but my intention was never what I feel I am being accused of. I believe in advocating for women. I believe that is part of what MDC is for. There is room for discussion of making the best of necessary c/s. I simply cannot agree on a dedicated forum. I'm sorry if that angers you. We cannot be everything to everyone.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#130 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 12:42 AM

And one other thing I'm confused about......

If Mothering Magazine philosophy has always - and will always continue to - support Natural Family Living, what's with the hullabaloo over the traumatic birth forum? If you had a cesarean and it worked very nicely for you, than why do you need a cesarean forum? Mothering doesn't extoll the virtues of the medical model of birth. It upholds the ideals of the midwifery model of birth.
#131 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland
And one other thing I'm confused about......

If Mothering Magazine philosophy has always - and will always continue to - support Natural Family Living, what's with the hullabaloo over the traumatic birth forum? If you had a cesarean and it worked very nicely for you, than why do you need a cesarean forum? Mothering doesn't extoll the virtues of the medical model of birth. It upholds the ideals of the midwifery model of birth.

I think PART of the idea here is that women would like to AVOID a traumatic c-section experience. Therefore, questions like 'How do I co-sleep comfortably with my incision?', 'How will post-op pain medications effect myself and my baby and perhaps my still-nursing toddler?', and 'How do I write a birth plan that emphasizes early bonding and breastfeeding in the even a c-section is necessary?' would be completely out of place on a Traumatic Birth board. Make sense?

What I am hearing here is that the actual questions being posed by c-section moms are fine and MDC has no problem wtih these type threads. BUT it is way too much to ask to have these posts in one place that is easy to find. Wouldn't want to make a c-section momma's life any easier, now would we?

It really boils down to the questions and threads currently being posted about c-sections are not an issue at all. It's fine to ask these questions and post these threads. But MDC isn't going to support a sub forum so this information is easily accessible to those needing it. I find that incredibly sad and ignorant.
#132 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 AM

Yeah, I don't get it either. If cesarians are "used" properly, they are a last-resort, often life-saving measure. How is THAT a threat to natural birth? How does working hard to make your labor and delivery special, being confronted with tough choices at every turn and then finally coming to the toughest one of them all and before your child is even born facing extremely serious decisions concerning their health make you a mother that would automatically deminish natural birth, natural family living or attachment parenting? Just because I wasn't able to experience natural birth doesn't mean that I would advocate haphazard, unneeded surgery. I think that often the frustration over misuse of c/s is aimed at mothers or broadly at the procedure, when it really should be directed at hospitals and doctors who do not put women first, and a culture that allows women to feel uninformed or unempowered.

That said, there are unique feelings and experiences associated with a c-section that I think deserve recognition. I understand that MDC is not "everything to everyone", but us hippie/granola/crunchy mamas don't have anywhere else to turn to discuss a c/s with others who it has impacted in a similar way. It's just not the same at "Babycenter.com"! Also, why would we be looking to avoid "mainstream surfers"? How many people have stumbled into MDC from a search word, found some posts that really spoke to their heart and stayed to learn and grow? Why couldn't a mom with a c/s find a different perspective here and use it as a gateway into other ideas?

I also object to the title "traumatic". Clearly, it was not what I planned. It was not "my dream birth". But I was not traumatized. Some people are. And some people are traumatized by vaginal birth experiences. A birth trauma category may have a place, but it shoud not be in the stead of c/s or imply that a c/s has traumatized the mother just by it's occurance. A dissapointment, sure. Tough feelings to manage, yup. Wish it had been different, clearly. But not inherently traumatic- that is a very strong word.
#133 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Awhile back we indeed considered a forum for discussion of cesarean birth but had many concerns about it so we focused on the support thread and have tried to make that a place for help, information and support about cesarean birth. I realize that it is not the same as a forum.

Let me give this some more thought and I will get back to you all on it.

#134 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 AM

Well, I am getting PMs and emails asking me about resources for (planned) cesarean support, and lots of positive feedback for my comments here, which I appreciate.

I am sorry to see, however, that people seem unable even to debate an issue without getting personal. Argument, however ardently or cogently put forth, becomes "attack," or "accusation." I can only conclude, as others have, from both points of view, that this isn't a place for everybody. I am one of those who thinks that's a bad thing, not a good thing. It seems strange to me that a uniquely private moment, something that is a life-altering, magnificent moment in the life of a woman, in the life of a family, should be so subjected to dis/approval and raging debate. Shouldn't we try to remember this is someone's birth we're talking about?
#135 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 02:27 AM

deleted
#136 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I understand the need for support for an unplanned cesarean. Start a thread in B&B, or Finding Your Tribe. I suffered SEVERE ppd with my first.... bordering on psychosis. There was no forum for "I'm so miserable I'm going to kill myself and I'm afraid I will hurt my baby". This issue was real, it was physical, it was unplanned, it was extremely traumatic for me. AP was absolutely NOTHING like I dreamed of or expected, either. I'm saying this because I know what it's like to have these plans and dreams for what you desire, only to have it shredded in front of you.
Forum for Postpartum Depression, right here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=28
#137 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 AM

Yes I understand there is (now) a ppd forum. I was trying to explain, through my own story, that I don't look down my nose at women who need a cesarean, or whose GD/AP/whatever experience didn't work out the way they planned, or whatever the case may be, as I've had my fair share of times when it didn't work for ME.

LizD, the only amount of upset that I feel - and where it has gotten "personal" - is when people claim that some "higher-than-thou" birth junkies don't think any cesarean is necessary. I've never heard anyone claim that before. And if one or two posters here did claim that, they're a little s and certainly do not speak for me or anyone I know!

I just think it strange to have an alternative momma rag that's been around for so long to suddenly support more mainstream stuff. That's all. I do not question that a lot of MDCers that ended up with cesareans really needed them. That is so far away from what I'm talking about. Really, it is.

A support subforum for c/section recovery and activism sounds lovely, as does a traumatic birth sub/forum. But if you have a broad cesarean forum like that, again, it's just not Mothering, at least to me. I come to Mothering for the ideals, even though I, just like many others, I'm sure!, don't/cannot live up to every single one!

Again, my only concern - the only one, really, truly honestly - is that cesareans will be supported in the absence of real need. I've seen cesarean threads, and it's no one's job to question another woman's experience... I can see how that is rude and demeaning. So what do you do? Really, honestly? When it ISN'T your business that she's planning a section because she doesn't want a vaginal birth, and she's advocating this as an okay choice? Again, it boils down to supporting the medical model right along side the midwifery model, which just doesn't sound like Mothering to me.
#138 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 AM

And honestly, for the record, I myself would not lose any sleep over whether a forum is added or deleted. It's not a big deal to me, and I honestly wouldn't care if a cesarean forum was started. I'm just trying to make it make sense to me.... if that makes any sense.
#139 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I just think it strange to have an alternative momma rag that's been around for so long to suddenly support more mainstream stuff. That's all.
I hardly think that a mama who was planning a HB and ended up with a hospital transfer and a c/s is "mainstream". The mainstream mamas typically dont need support for their c/s because no one thinks they are a big deal and they tend buy into that. Those who dont...well, they would probably find ICAN or somewhere like that and maybe eventually here.

Quote:
Again, my only concern - the only one, really, truly honestly - is that cesareans will be supported in the absence of real need.
And again, real need can be defined in a lot of ways. Not only the ones that are true medical need, but the mamas who dont have access to a hospital that will VBAC, mamas who cant find MWs who will attend their extraordinary birth (breech, twins, etc), mamas who have unsupportive DHs (who dont feel comfortable with breech birth at home with no coordinated hospital backup)....the list goes on and on. Let the mamas get as informed as possible, but then they are the only ones who will have to live with that final decision.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#140 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom
I think PART of the idea here is that women would like to AVOID a traumatic c-section experience. Therefore, questions like 'How do I co-sleep comfortably with my incision?', 'How will post-op pain medications effect myself and my baby and perhaps my still-nursing toddler?', and 'How do I write a birth plan that emphasizes early bonding and breastfeeding in the even a c-section is necessary?' would be completely out of place on a Traumatic Birth board. Make sense?

What I am hearing here is that the actual questions being posed by c-section moms are fine and MDC has no problem wtih these type threads. BUT it is way too much to ask to have these posts in one place that is easy to find. Wouldn't want to make a c-section momma's life any easier, now would we?

It really boils down to the questions and threads currently being posted about c-sections are not an issue at all. It's fine to ask these questions and post these threads. But MDC isn't going to support a sub forum so this information is easily accessible to those needing it. I find that incredibly sad and ignorant.
:
#141 of 172 Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Yes I understand there is (now) a ppd forum. I was trying to explain, through my own story, that I don't look down my nose at women who need a cesarean, or whose GD/AP/whatever experience didn't work out the way they planned, or whatever the case may be, as I've had my fair share of times when it didn't work for ME.
That may be, but your point gets kind of lost when there is now a forum to serve your need, yet those of us who want one to deal with our needs are constantly denied.

(rest of post not to you specifically)
Considering how many women are now *forced* into repeat c-sections because VBAC is not an option, a caesarian birth forum would serve a great need. I am lucky, because even though I ended up with a caesarian I did not want, VBAC is not only an option but expected if I decide to have further children (I am in Canada). But if I was given no choice in the matter, a forum with other women who have BTDT and can help make a birth plan to insure that a repeat C would be as smooth as possible would be an invaluable resource. This need is *not* met on other boards, which is why people are asking for it here.
#142 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 09:12 AM

Okay, gotcha. I get it now. I am still concerned about the very real possibility of it becoming/being, in part, an advocacy forum for cesarean as a birth choice, as it's considered rude and demeaning to question another woman's birth choices/experiences. But whatever. Whoever said that having a cesarean forum wouldn't make or break what a woman already wants/believes in is right.

Not that my opinion matters, as I'm not a mod or anything I'm just a pain in the ass what it comes to board changes.
#143 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A support subforum for c/section recovery and activism sounds lovely, as does a traumatic birth sub/forum.
And that is all that has been proposed. I have stated a number of times exactly what the forum should be/would be, and repeatedly suggested moderation to ensure that it remains exactly that--not a c/s advocacy forum (I can't think of one poster whose posts I have read at MDC who would actually "advocate" c/s for no medical reason, anyway) and not a c/s bashing forum. There is no reason to suppose that, if we can have perfectly reasonable and MDC-friendly c/s threads in B&B, we can't have the same threads being posted in a dedicated forum. I'm having a hard time seeing how it would fundamentally "change" anything at MDC, since these posts--and posters--are already here.
#144 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiB
And that is all that has been proposed. I have stated a number of times exactly what the forum should be/would be, and repeatedly suggested moderation to ensure that it remains exactly that--not a c/s advocacy forum (I can't think of one poster whose posts I have read at MDC who would actually "advocate" c/s for no medical reason, anyway) and not a c/s bashing forum. There is no reason to suppose that, if we can have perfectly reasonable and MDC-friendly c/s threads in B&B, we can't have the same threads being posted in a dedicated forum. I'm having a hard time seeing how it would fundamentally "change" anything at MDC, since these posts--and posters--are already here.
agreed.

My goal is for a forum to:

1. support women who have unexpected c-s and need a place for emotional as well as physical support. With that in mind, I believe it is more difficult to adhere to natural family philosophies after a c-s so this forum would be a place for women to share those thoughts and offer advice.

2. Offer support and advice to women who must undergo medically necessary c-s. Yes, those cases are few but I believe women could receive wonderful advice on making their c-s a more beautiful, personal and intimate experience to celebrate the birth of their child rather than experiencing an impersonal surgical procedure. (e.g if you know what to expect with a c-s, you can be prepared to request that your child stay in recovery with you to promote your breastfeeding relationship).

3. C-section activism. The fact is that c-s are on the rise and many women are being forced into them unncessarily. I find very few women that I can vent about this with IRL because most women don't have the information to make an informed decision so they believe their doctors and believe their c-s are/were necessary. The c-s trend is hurting many women and many families and it won't stop unless we do something about it. Many women have found MDC and will continue to find us for support following c-s.

I do have some concerns about a forum seeming to advocate unncessary c-s which I why I believe the purpose needs to be well stated at the time. I'm not sure that "C-section support" is necessarily the name that I would look for in such a forum since it does seem to imply advocacy.

Having read through these threads, I understand that perhaps "traumatic birth support" is a bit strong for some women although I definitely consider my c-s traumatic and expect that any future ones would be as well.

So I think I might be back to wanting a forum call "C-section healing and activism." Or maybe "Healing after surgical birth." I'm not sure.... any other suggestions???

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#145 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 12:53 PM

Hi All

I have really appreciated the conversation here on both "sides" of this issue.

For me, this all comes down to trust.

Quote:
I am still concerned about the very real possibility of it becoming/being, in part, an advocacy forum for cesarean as a birth choice
This seems to be the heart of the objections to the c/s forum: A fear that it will become a place to advocate for non-necessary c/s's. (Candiland, not trying to target you ... I appreciate your thoughtful discussion here ). I agree, it would be horrible to host a c/s advocacy forum. However ...

I cannot imagine anyone here advocating a "convenience c/s." This fear to me, shows an unintentional lack of trust in our fellow MDC members.

We come here for a reason: it is an oasis of sanity. In our culture we are surrounded by cheap consumerism, "convenience parenting," materialism, lack of integrity ... MDC is a harbor for us. We come here because we believe in a natural family lifestyle. This is our commonality. Please trust this.

I respectfully ask that we have a trial run of a c/s support forum.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#146 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm194
So I think I might be back to wanting a forum call "C-section healing and activism." Or maybe "Healing after surgical birth." I'm not sure.... any other suggestions???
The name of the forum is of foremost importance if it is being seriously considered as an addition to MDC. I had already begun to think we should abandon the term "c-section" and go with "surgical birth" instead--what better way to show right off the bat that this site is not like all the others? I had never heard the term before I began reading relevant threads here; I think it would be an immediate tipoff to any mainstream posters who wander in without a clue. "I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore!"

Of course, that's putting the cart before the horse, but it may help head off assumptions if we try to minimize some of the concerns of the admin while she is considering our request.

"Surgical birth healing" is good, but it still doesn't encompass everything we would want such a forum to be...but sadly, I can't come up with anything better at the moment! Maybe something like "Surgical Birth Support and Wisdom"...implying that all posters there will be wise, of course... ...I don't know--that was my one idea for the day! Other ideas? Either on a forum name, or a preference for or against using the term "surgical birth" instead of "c-section"? I can see pros and cons both ways...
#147 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 04:14 PM

"Surgical Birth, Healing and Hope"?

"Surgical Birth Recovery and Activism"?

"NFL/AP after Surgical Birth"?

"Surgical Birth, Activism and Information"?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#148 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 04:53 PM

I like 'Surgical Birth Support & Wisdom' as suggested earlier. I would prefer to leave 'activism' out of the name of the forum (assuming we get a trial period of having the forum). I think 'activism' may lead people to think that they can come in and bash those of us, who have had surgical births and explain what we should have done differently. I don't think any of us are suggesting that MDC support convenience csecs, and I think we can be activists promoting the most normal way of birthing (and parenting) possible (in a given situation) by providing support and wisdom.
#149 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 06:18 PM

I also like "Surgical Support & Wisdom" and I agree with leaving activism out of the title.

Personally I would love a c-section support board for those who have either had or may need to have a surgical birth. IMO those who have not been in either situation really don't need to be posting their views on the subject and the word activism would be asking for debates which would only take away from the support we mama's need.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#150 of 172 Old 01-20-2006, 06:39 PM

Good points...and "wisdom" has a more organic feel as well.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page