Birth & Beyond: C/S sub-forum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 172 Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Just wondering if it would be possible to set up a cesarean sub-forum in Birth & Beyond? There are always c/s support threads and questions being asked in the B&B forum, and I thought it might make the info more organized for moms who have had c/sec's, are seeking info on how to avoid them, or must schedule one for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Andi Beard
#2 of 172 Old 12-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
I think B&B is a good general forum that serves the purpose well. A section in the resources subforum might be good for specific points to info and resources as weell as existing threads about cesarean experience and advice.

#3 of 172 Old 12-27-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiB
Hi,
Just wondering if it would be possible to set up a cesarean sub-forum in Birth & Beyond? There are always c/s support threads and questions being asked in the B&B forum, and I thought it might make the info more organized for moms who have had c/sec's, are seeking info on how to avoid them, or must schedule one for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Andi Beard
I agree, it's a good idea There are threads but not a specific spot for them.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 172 Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 PM

I would like to see one as well. I think a lot of people are afraid to start thread about c/s because they arent really the norm around here. Having a safe spot (beside the support thread) to post questions and concerns would be wonderful. The support thread gets a lot of posts and it would be nice to have something like that, but able to separate different questions/comments by subject, like in a normal subforum.

Maybe you can combine it with VBAC, since most people there have had a c/s.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#5 of 172 Old 12-27-2005, 11:20 PM

I think it'd be great to have a special spot for surgical deliveries. I've been trying without success to find help dealing with my unwanted births but since I don't know much about getting around the forums and my computer is really slow, it'd be really nice to have everything organized in one spot. I'd really like to get help. Thanks!
#6 of 172 Old 12-28-2005, 04:34 PM

It would be very helpful! The c/s thread gets buried a lot and if I need a question answered it may take awhile if posted there.
#7 of 172 Old 01-11-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher
I think B&B is a good general forum that serves the purpose well. A section in the resources subforum might be good for specific points to info and resources as weell as existing threads about cesarean experience and advice.
Well, I think that a subforum inside the VBAC subforum would still be a good idea, given that there seems to be some interest here (and probably more from people who haven't posted or didn't see this thread--personally I never read this forum, only those directly related to my interests, so I imagine there's even more interest, esp. among the VBAC mamas...). I think it's also important that newcomers to the site have a place to look for specific, real-world info on how and why to avoid having a c/sec in the first place. I also think that post-cesarean issues and the hope of VBAC is probably one of the specific things that can draw newcomers to the MDC forums. It is the one place where people will truly understand why some mamas feel guilty, or depressed, or traumatized over having had a c/sec; and it's the one place where people will understand why they don't just have another one without the increasingly difficult process of trying a VBAC.

However, if the mods and admins don't want to start a new subforum, perhaps an archive of past c/sec threads could be made inside the VBAC subforum? (Or even in Birth & Beyond, or wherever!) Just so we could sift through the info that's already been posted here, at least. I still get frustrated with the huge "c-sec support" threads, though, because they contain so many different topics. If you're searching for specific info, the answer might be there but you have to read the entire thread to find out. Few of us have that kind of time! But at least it would be better than no area specifically designated for that, because c/sec threads end up in "I'm Pregnant", "Birth & Beyond", "VBAC" and even sometimes forums like the midwife/doula area or the Homebirth forum!

The point is, we need to make the valuable experiences of women here, easily available to women who need them. There's got to be a way to make it easier!
#8 of 172 Old 01-11-2006, 04:39 PM

I think it would be highly resourceful and valuable. C/S are a no-no, hush hush topic it seems and many moms who have had them or have to have them need a place to talk as well. It is a highly complex subject that deserves more attenton I think.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#9 of 172 Old 01-11-2006, 10:13 PM

I'd to see a c/s forum! With the national c/s rate hovering around 30% , I would love to see MDC highlight the issue, making it easy for women to seek out information on how to avoid them, recovery from them, heal emotionally from them, and fight for change in the system that's responsible for them.
#10 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 12:14 AM

I totally agree with last poster.
#11 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 12:22 AM

#12 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 AM

Just wanted to bump this again in hopes that more mama's will see it and add their opinions.

Having three unwanted and yes possible unnecessary sections I would love to find more moms for support and be able to offer advice, suggestions, experiences without having to search thru the pregnancy and birth posts since I don't usually go looking around there as I am pretty sure I'm done having babies

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Hi. Fairly new here, but I agree that the c/s threads often end up either buried or bombarded with less-than-supportive posts. I think it's important that women dealing with past or potential c/s have a safe place to post. A resources sticky is great, but women need the support of other women as well.
#14 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:07 AM

i think a form would be really good, especially as one poster mentioned, the nat'l rate is so close to 30% and those of us who have had less than optimal birth experiences could use alot of support
#15 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM

Hi,

I think it would be so helpful to have a separate subforum for all issues related to c/s. One-third of us have to have them. There are SO many issues pre and post c/s that merit discussion.

I've found MDC forums as a whole can be sadly inimical to open discussion, at times, about c/s's. Sometimes people, entirely well-meaning, question why a woman has to/has had a c/s -- in a sense re-traumatizing the posters. I've seen post after post where women who have a c/s post with an apologia/explanation why they had one -- I'm assuming simply to avoid being second-guessed. I find this sad. Our expectation here should be one of acceptence, not judgement.

Because of this, I feel like a mini safe haven would be nice for those of us that had c/s's! Organizationally, it would be a lot simpler, too.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#16 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 AM

"Sometimes people, entirely well-meaning, question why a woman has to/has had a c/s -- in a sense re-traumatizing the posters. I've seen post after post where women who have a c/s post with an apologia/explanation why they had one -- I'm assuming simply to avoid being second-guessed. I find this sad. Our expectation here should be one of acceptence, not judgement."
CatskillMtnMama

ITA. There is a lot of challenging stuff c/s mamas have to wade through before getting support. Some of us used to be UCers & HBers. so we know we aren`t having the optimal birth, but we have to make the best of it. Please, can we have a normal forum?

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#17 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 10:20 PM

I think a c-s subforum would be tremedously helpful. Many women, like myself, have been attracted to MDC because we went through traumatic c-section births and want to converse with like-minded women. Although I want a lot of support to vbac some day, I still think there are a lot of issues to process related specifically to c-sections. There's too much "c-sections are great!!!" talk on mainstream boards so there aren't many places to talk/vent/discuss c-sections. I always feel badly when someone's c-section story or questions get lost in the c-s thread b/c there are too many other topics going on in there. Contrary to some beliefs, c-section mamas are not always victims of knife happy doctors - many of us were under the care of midwives and attempting natural and home births.

Since a c-section rate should be around 5-15% (at most), there are definitely women who need to have c-sections for medical reasons and we should not exclude them. In fact, we may be able to promote more natural and personal c-section experiences for women who truly need them but don't get support from the traditional medical establishment.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#18 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 10:24 PM

AndiB-
Have you posted in B and B mentioning *this* thread ... so that people who might want to weigh in on this, can. Do you think it would be OK to post in I am pregnant section, too?

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#19 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 PM

I would be really, really glad to see a Cesarean Birth forum of its own. There's more than one issue to be discussed, and a "support circle" might not be what someone is looking for. There are women who've had positive cesarean birth experiences, for one thing, and women who need support for a traumatic cesarean birth experience. Why should it all be lumped into one thread? And the discussion often becomes volatile and turns people away. As a doula I've been to many cesareans and am interested in discussing how to make necessary cesareans better for all parties- without rehashing all the statistics, etc. about the too-high cesarean rate. It is often impossible to discuss making a cesarean positive. Mothering readers are more likely to seek such conversation; why should they be referred to mainstream boards, where they *still* won't get the support they're seeking? If there was a forum in which various topics had their own threads, it might keep discussion on topic and cause less fighting.
#20 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ITA with Liz. I'm planning a HB for this baby, and I'm in love with that plan, and if that turns into a planned C-section for medical reasons I'd love to have someplace to tak about it with others who've had similar experiences - and WITHOUT playing Twenty Questions with every random person who cruises the B&B forum.
#21 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
It is often impossible to discuss making a cesarean positive.
There are many women who have a c/s because...

1) they have weighed the risks of their particular situaiton and decided they are most comfortable with c/s, whether its a first time c/s or a repeat

or

2) they have no other choice because no hospitals intheir area will do vbac's and they are not comfortable with homebirth (or they can't find midwives who will attend hbacs or they can't afford the out of pocket hbac expense)

These women need support - more support than is available in one thread that gets lost in the shuffle.

ETA: I know the reasons women have c/s are not limited to the reasons I listed above... these are just two that I think are common. There are many, many reasons women have c/s - exactly why we need a forum to discuss the topic in depth.
#22 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:29 PM

... or, as is my fear, their baby doesn't turn and they make the choice not to travel to the Farm or risk an illegal HB. Those aren't choices I'm interested in defending endlessly, should I wind up having to make them, God forbid.
#23 of 172 Old 01-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
As a doula I've been to many cesareans and am interested in discussing how to make necessary cesareans better for all parties- without rehashing all the statistics, etc. about the too-high cesarean rate. It is often impossible to discuss making a cesarean positive. Mothering readers are more likely to seek such conversation; why should they be referred to mainstream boards, where they *still* won't get the support they're seeking?
Oh my gosh, yes.

When my midwives told me that I had a high risk of C-section due to my history of multiple pelvic surgeries, I had a terrible time finding any information at all that didn't focus on "most C-sections are unnecessary." While I don't disagree with that at all, I wanted to know how to make a C-section as birthlike and non-traumatic as possible if it *was* necessary. I wound up buying a 20-year-old book from a used book dealer, because it was the only source of positive information I could find. MDC could really help fill that gap.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#24 of 172 Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, what a great response! I think I will post a link over in B&B so that any moms there who feel the same can post their thoughts here. Maybe if enough people ask, we can get a forum that meets our needs and those of others dealing with, or hoping to avoid, the same issues.

I think it's important to note that people who come to MDC are going to quickly realize it is not geared toward mainstream ideas of birth--I don't think putting a c/sec forum inside B&B is going to make anyone think it's being advocated as desirable, not with the other sub-forums that are already there! You don't exactly see "Unassisted Birth" forums on mainstream sites, that's for sure!

Besides, the forum can be called something like "C-section SOS!" (I know that's kind of dramatic, but it's off the top of my head) or something else that conveys the idea that it's a forum for those who have had, but did not really want, or who are hoping to avoid, c-sections.
#25 of 172 Old 01-13-2006, 11:11 AM

I would love to see info and support of mom's who have had c-sections. I am crunchy and believe that birth is natural and shouldn't be treated as a disease....having said that, my beliefs and reality didn't come together for me. What do I do now? I need support and commonality.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#26 of 172 Old 01-13-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Danielle~*
I would love to see info and support of mom's who have had c-sections. I am crunchy and believe that birth is natural and shouldn't be treated as a disease....having said that, my beliefs and reality didn't come together for me. What do I do now? I need support and commonality.
:
I would desperately love some support and understanding regarding my c-section, but the lone support thread on B&B is overwhelming and intimidating. A c-sec forum on mothering is by it's very nature going to be different from mainstream boards, but as long as the reality of life includes c-sec, both necessary and unnecessary, there is a need that should be filled.

Heather, DW to Clyf: & ::: Mama to Bridget: 3/22/05 CP: & Braden:7/12/08 Retired EPer-27mos:
#27 of 172 Old 01-13-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiB
Besides, the forum can be called something like "C-section SOS!" (I know that's kind of dramatic, but it's off the top of my head) or something else that conveys the idea that it's a forum for those who have had, but did not really want, or who are hoping to avoid, c-sections.
But that wouldn't meet the need of those for whom almost everything about Mothering is relevant except the lack of a forum for discussing cesarean birth. To me, "SOS" still conveys that there's something to be helped, and that isn't the case for everyone. Just a plain old Cesarean Birth Forum is all folks are asking for.
#28 of 172 Old 01-13-2006, 12:33 PM

I guess I'm the lone dissenting voice here, but I think that having a csec support board would be akin to the discussion about having a formula feeding support board. Just as was discussed here about FF, Mothering knows that there are women who must FF for whatever reason. Just as there are mothers for whom having a csec is in their best interests for whatever reason. But same as FFing, there are other places to go to discuss it. I really do think that the general reasons for not having a FF board apply to not having a csec board.

fyrfly
#29 of 172 Old 01-13-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrflymommy
I guess I'm the lone dissenting voice here, but I think that having a csec support board would be akin to the discussion about having a formula feeding support board.
I can agree with that. MDC has a very biased view of childbirth and parenting; they don't deny that. Not all MDC readers share every view. When you find yourself not following the philosophy, ya go elsewhere to find support. Easy peasy. But ya don't expect MDC to lax their principles to adhere to the masses.

That said, I may very soon find myself in need of asking C/S questions. I'll post in the B&B forum. I'll take what I can from the responses, leaving the pithy ones behind. No biggie.
#30 of 172 Old 01-13-2006, 02:47 PM

Vasmommy, I really think you're missing the point. Medically necessary C-sections happen to EVERYONE, including hardcore crunchy mamas who would never, ever be able to find the kind of support and information they needed at a "mainstream" board. It's not about ideology.

I actually think we do a better job of supporting mamas who have nursing difficulties - Low Supply tribe, etc. Supply issues are accepted as real and valid. I think we also accept certain C-sections as valid (for previa, significant fetal distress, grand multiparas who are all tangled up, VBAC in a woman whose uterus was not properly sutured the first time around, footling breech etc.). But we treat these births as tragic, and they don't NEED to be tragic, and they could be much better experiences if we shared information and strategies for planning the births and handling the experience just as we do for every other type of birth.

Necessary C-sections are NOT against Mothering's philosophy. I am under the distinct impression that Peggy, Cynthia et. al. are glad that surgical birth is available to women and babies who have an abnormally high risk of death if they attempt to birth vaginally. I have never read anything in the magazine that would contradict that, for sure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page